watch now

Author Topic: Common Grammar Mistakes  (Read 122701 times)

entwife

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #480 on: March 12, 2013, 03:40:49 pm »
Struck is already the past tense of strike. So redundnat kung may -ed pa. :)

mrsonthego

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #481 on: March 12, 2013, 03:54:19 pm »
^ah okay, past tense ng strike? thanks a lot!

 nakakahiya naman ako! :-[

entwife

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #482 on: March 12, 2013, 04:02:04 pm »
May mga nakakalito talaga. Sometimes, bibigkasin ko muna tapos kung ano mas tama pakinggan yun ang ginagamit ko. Hehe
Example: For who?
For whom?

whatseatingven

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #483 on: March 13, 2013, 09:47:21 am »
stuck on vs stuck at

which is correct: stuck on level 1 or stuck at level 1?

I think both can be used.

At usually pertains to a specific place in reference to a general place. e.g. at the left wing (of the mall), at the backyard (of the house).

On usually pertains to a flat surface. On the table, on the bus (esp. when talking about yourself riding the bus), etc.

In this case, level (or floor) is also a flat surface where you can stand so pwede rin yun :) Pwede ring at kasi specific area din sya ng whatever building.

leelou

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #484 on: March 13, 2013, 01:18:45 pm »
with regards to...

should be with regard to, (without s) di ba?  :)

sima

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #485 on: March 14, 2013, 01:05:42 pm »
^tama!

as regards
with regard

berna15

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #486 on: June 19, 2013, 10:26:37 pm »
Missed or miss? I missed my husband or I miss my husband

rae

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #487 on: June 19, 2013, 11:55:24 pm »
^ If you're currently missing your husband:

I miss my husband.

If you missed him for a time:

"I missed my husband when he was abroad" - you don't miss him anymore because he's home now.

Pwede din in this scenario:

"I missed the husband who loved me no matter what" - you don't miss him anymore because you're over him. :P

imdWOMANwhocntbemove

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #488 on: June 20, 2013, 12:36:19 am »
I'm learning.. :)..pasubscribe lang muna ha mga sis.. :)

caturday

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #489 on: July 13, 2013, 07:13:28 pm »
prepositions. buti na lang matiyaga sumagot si bf pag nagtatanong ako :D

whatseatingven

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #490 on: July 15, 2013, 03:36:05 pm »
IRREGARDLESS

I can't believe may mga taong gumagamit nito on a regular basis (*cough* my boss)

ohcmon

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #491 on: July 15, 2013, 04:18:59 pm »
Another pet peeve of mine is using objects of the prepositions as the bases of the verb, when it should be the subject itself.

Example: A box of chocolates has been waiting for you since this morning.

Has been/singular kasi the subject of the sentence is box, and chocolates is the object of the preposition "of".

zanabee

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #492 on: July 15, 2013, 04:19:57 pm »
common mistake: will going to + verb

should be: am/is/are going to + verb in the base form
                will + verb in the base form

minatay91

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #493 on: July 21, 2013, 03:54:12 am »
Wow! I realized some mistakes dito rin.

This is why I hate going to facebook nakakabobo sa english >:(

"Girl, let him be. It's his lost not your's. You did'nt lost much. You loose someone who never
care for you anways!"

I have a protip:

If you don't know whether to use "affect" or "effect" just use the word "impact" ;)
lechels dapat mag.tagalog/dialect nalang sila nakabobo yung english!!!!!!! >:(

"Can we start again from the very top once more please? Ikaw na you can be a bit more better!"

sfgejgaqia

littlekinselle

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #494 on: July 21, 2013, 04:50:56 am »
madalas ko nakikita sa mga pawnshop,  jewelries  pero ang alam ko jewelry is used for both the singular and plural
tama??

inluvewithmikewesten

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #495 on: July 21, 2013, 07:07:48 am »
Madalas ko marining:
 "for the meantime"
 and yong friend ko ang lakas pa ng boses sa calls madalas niya gamit yong "was been". Ako nahihiya para sa kanya.
Also the term "trainor". There's no such thing. Another friend always says. "I'll gonna...".
Me naman personally I'm sometimes confused when to use "had" or "has".

kiminsan

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #496 on: July 23, 2013, 06:11:38 am »
common  mistake na naririnig ko:
use of look forward in a sentence.

WRONG: I look forward to meet you.
RIGHT: I look forward to meeting you.

shineadet

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #497 on: July 26, 2013, 08:10:38 pm »
ako naman hirap ako sa mga prepositions.
one example is:
interested in
interested on
interested at
interested about
which is which??? i always get confused.

MrsKolca

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #498 on: July 26, 2013, 10:44:31 pm »
^ang alam ko dyan sis ganito..

interested in (future)
interested to (past)

for example:

I am interested in reading books. That means interesado ka sa pagbabasa ng book sa kasalukuyan.
I was in interested to check her purse. Ito naman, nagawa mo na sya. You checked her purse kasi naging interesado ka dito.

annamarie88

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #499 on: July 27, 2013, 02:55:37 am »
Nice thread! :)

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close