watch now

Author Topic: Common Grammar Mistakes  (Read 122266 times)

tabbru

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 12:23:58 pm »
kanina may nabasa ako na "thought" ang ginamit instead of "taught"... oh well, siguro kung minsan may lapse lang din sa pagta-type o pagsusulat...

sugardrop

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 08:12:53 pm »
It's and its

clueless

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 08:24:16 pm »
What does it look like?
How does it look?

Not:
How does it look like?

Dami ko din nakikita na mahilig maglagay ng "ed". Napapakamot na lang ako.

Meron akong classmate dati:
1+1 is equals to 2. Mahilig pa naman siya magturo ng math so lagi niyang sinasabi yung "is equals to".
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:30:46 pm by clueless »

aquacharly

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 08:28:55 pm »
Common grammar mistakes
  Yung bekimon!  Malapit na sa bobomon.  :). Peace! 

silverlilac

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 05:31:36 pm »
there's a lot of confusion with using:

lose/loose
were/we're
where/were
they're/their
complement/compliment
further/farther

furnitureS, taken careD of

recently, i read this statement - "I'm eyeing for..." - should simply be "I'm eyeing <whatever it is that's caught your fancy>  :)

marose17

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 06:49:39 pm »
1.  Collective nouns na ginagawang plural like stuffs for stuff (already mentioned) and loots for loot
2.  Can't hardly wait - can hardly wait dapat
3.  Did+ another past tense, e.g. did looked, did checked, or in the negative, did not checked, did not looked

Mag-iisip pa ko.

birchtree

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 08:09:52 pm »
subscribing! i'm also here to learn. i still get confused pa sa subject-verb agreement and prepositions IN, ON, AT :p

Common Mistake on preposition:

ON December
IN Monday

Should be:
IN December, IN 2012, IN the next century
On Monday, ON June 12, ON December 25, 2011
AT night, AT eight tomorrow

Preposition test for time and dates:
http://a4esl.org/q/h/lb/atonintime.html

fashion_addict

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 12:18:37 am »
"For the meantime." "In the meantime" yung tama.

Tsaka yung superlative to the highest degree:

"Gusto kong shade kasi yung MAS DARKER".

Aba'y itim na yang kulay na gusto mo! LOL

twiist

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 03:48:25 pm »
Isa pang variant ng "I'm eyeing for": "I'm eyeing ON"

usage of "could" and "would"; confused with the usage of "can" and "will"

makeupS

pressany

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 04:28:30 pm »
"with regard to" not with regards to 


marose17

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 04:32:02 pm »
Despite of
Inspite of

In spite of is the correct one

OR

Despite

-munchkins12-

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2011, 05:43:49 am »
Wrong: advance happy birthday / advanced happy birthday
Correct: happy birthday in advance

ms.messed_up*

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2011, 06:07:57 am »
belated happy birthday it should be--happy belated birthday

emeenem

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 11:44:10 am »
I created a thread like this before na. :)

Wrong: next next week
Right: the week after next

Same goes with last last week. Should be 2 weeks ago.

Wrong: happy weekends if referring to one weekend only (fri, sat and sun)
Right: happy weekend

Wrong: based from
Right: based on

Other collective nouns: jewelry, data, information, equipment...etc.

jack_3476

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2011, 12:18:48 pm »
joining. mahina ako sa grammar kaya very informative sa akin tong thread.  :-[

13

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2011, 03:35:27 am »
Thanks guys..  this is very informative. 

Twiist, or any one can expound on this:

usage of "could" and "would"; confused with the usage of "can" and "will"

I think I am one of those people who get this confused. Also with the perfect tenses like has been, have been, had been.. or the simple usage of has, have, had,  I get them mixed-up most of the time. I'm embarassed. :-[

twiist

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2011, 05:55:50 am »
^Hi 13. There's nothing to be embarrassed about. English isn't our first language anyway, and even people who have English as their first make a lot of mistakes too.  ;D

I'm only going to explain would and could based on the error I've commonly encountered. There are several other rules for would and could, but explaining them here would be too long. (Google nalang!)

Usually, you're only supposed to use could and would when expressing a conditional that isn't possible (either permanently or just at the moment), like:

"She could have been perfect for the role, but she has attitude problems."
"He would have gone with you, if you only asked."

can and will are used for things that are possible, meaning:

"The product could be used to clean everything." >>> "The product CAN be used to clean everything."
"Yes, I would go with you today." >> "Yes, I WILL go with you today."

It's a very subtle error compared to wrong pluralization and wrong tense usage, but it tends to make sentences sound  less flowing, more so in spoken English. Making flowing sentences is important, because people will listen to/read you more that way. (Notice that I didn't use WOULD in the previous sentence, since I wasn't expressing something that isn't possible.)

Ay wow, long post. But there you go. I hope I was able to explain it clearly, and I hope you didn't get bored with the post length! XD
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:00:40 am by twiist »

staywithme

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2011, 09:29:23 am »
commonly used by newscasters: pinaka-latest :)

rianne_mallows

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2011, 12:50:19 pm »
the reason is because______ ;D

daming ganyan hehe

chicgurl

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2011, 03:56:34 pm »
very informative thread. i hear a lot of misuse of words i am not perfect i make mistakes at times this is helpful :) natuwa ako dun sa could & would hehe

eto pala ask ko lang lagi ko kasi naririnig sa friends ko

"not unless" ??? diba dapat unless lang? please educate me hehe ayoko naman sila i-correct i am not sure kasi hehe :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:12:37 pm by chicgurl »

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close