watch now

Author Topic: starting a new career at 30  (Read 49774 times)

kiz_me1109

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2012, 03:46:39 am »

I'm not yet 30 but I am planning to change a career hopefully before the year ends. I'll be turning 28 this November and papasok na sa school yung anak ko next year so I think this year will be the best uear to start a new career. I am currently working in a BPO as a call center agent. But I was moved to another department so more than 2 years narin akong hindi nag t take ng calls and very flexible yung time ko sa work.

I attended a basic make up class last Saturday and nagustuhan ko naman siya. I don't think I can stay longer than 5 years in a call center.

i am planning to enroll in a make up artistry class pero medyo mahal lang. Pero sabi ni hubby kung talagang gusto ko e kunin ko na daw habang hindi pa nag aaral yung anak namin...

Medyo kinakabahan ako pero gusto ko talaga maging make up artist. I just don't know kung ok parin ang demands nun after I graduate.

elisah_b33

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2012, 09:34:57 am »
Same here mga sis. So many business ventures out there that i wanted to try but dito kasi sa pinas TREND lang ang mga food carts and so on. I really wanted to try something from within, I mean something that has to do with my talent. I’m good in make-up, interior designing, furniture designs,fashion design. But I don’t know where to begin :(  Any suggestions on furniture design school?

Juricks

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2012, 04:40:26 pm »
I don't think there's anything wrong with this, to be honest.

My Uncle who was an engineer in the Philippines, studied and became a nurse here in Australia. He's in his late 40's and a teenage daughter when he started studying.

My Mother in Law, she recently just finished studying a certificate to become a Pharmacy Assistant. His eldest is already married (to me)!

If it's what you want, and you're no longer happy doing what you're doing, then by all means! Life is too short to be doing something you're not happy with :)

sis, kung fb lang to, ila-Like ko yang post mo. :)

Im currently in my mid-20s and I made a career shift before, around 2.5years ago.  Same industry but different title/area lang..  Super stressful kasi before.  Now, after more than two years, I realized na gusto ko na ulit bumalik.  I've fixed what needs to be fixed personally.  Good thing, hindi ako lumalabas sa industry na to.  ALam ko naman kasi from the start na dito talaga gusto ko.  I will be shifting back pero Im preparing myself pa.  Ayoko tumalon ulit sa dagat na hindi nag-aaral ulit lumangoy.. hehe...

Wish me luck mga sis. ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:43:39 pm by Juricks »

aerish_anne

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2012, 03:20:24 pm »
definitely hard to start anew..i hope to find american companies na walang age discrimination.. high pay and nice schedule..

keysi

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2012, 08:20:51 pm »
I'm 32 working in a private company. Wanna quit though and get a position in the government, since it's more stable there, kaso hassle to apply in government agencies without the right connections.

megansmomma

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2012, 11:36:24 am »
^kailangan pa pasado ka sa civil service pag wala kang prc id. gusto ko na din lumipat sa government..

ms.libra

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2012, 09:25:01 pm »
Share ko lang my ate hates technology and almost didn't know how to chat, send email etc. She was 30 when I taught her how to use ym, email and even friendster/facebook. She just open her mind and some possibilities and dun na nagstart na nageexport na siya sa Palau sa mga connections niya na nameet online. She's always thankful na kahit na parang hindi siya matututo nun ng computer eh pinilit niyang aralin lahat :)

iamreese

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2012, 09:50:51 am »
^so business din ang career niya sis?

i'm 28 and currently working in bpo.. hmm mag 4 years na sa oct.. kahit gusto ko magIT kaso baka mahirapan ako, comsci natapos ko pero wala ko alam sa programming...  :-\

purplewanderer

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2012, 11:33:30 am »
^so business din ang career niya sis?

i'm 28 and currently working in bpo.. hmm mag 4 years na sa oct.. kahit gusto ko magIT kaso baka mahirapan ako, comsci natapos ko pero wala ko alam sa programming...  :-\

Sis, don't lose hope! I shifted to an IT company when I was 26 but my first work there was more of an admin role. After 2 years I applied for a technical support  role in the same company but diff dept and was accepted. Ang mga kasabayan ko nun were fresh grads na magagaling and IT grads (unlike me) but I didn't care, I was willing to learn and at my own pace. Ang starting naman sa IT is ok I guess, basta wag masyadong mag-expect, your goal is to take all the trainings and learn. And there are lots of positions that don't require programming skills, though it could be an advantage too. 2+ years exp in a specific technology, kaya mo na magbargain for higher salary nun. :) But you have to find out first if IT is what you really want. :)

Goodluck.

ms.libra

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2012, 02:49:14 pm »
iamreese yes sis export business  :) She also acts as tour guides to foreigners (mostly from Palau) who are seeking  medical attention here;attending all their needs from housing to medical insurance afterwards sila din ang umoorder kay ate when they go home to Palau. Orders are sent via email na lang.

slickchick

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2012, 08:09:38 am »
Sis, don't lose hope! I shifted to an IT company when I was 26 but my first work there was more of an admin role. After 2 years I applied for a technical support  role in the same company but diff dept and was accepted. Ang mga kasabayan ko nun were fresh grads na magagaling and IT grads (unlike me) but I didn't care, I was willing to learn and at my own pace. Ang starting naman sa IT is ok I guess, basta wag masyadong mag-expect, your goal is to take all the trainings and learn. And there are lots of positions that don't require programming skills, though it could be an advantage too. 2+ years exp in a specific technology, kaya mo na magbargain for higher salary nun. :) But you have to find out first if IT is what you really want. :)

Goodluck.

hi sis reese! i totally agree with sis purplewander. hindi naman purely programming lang ang work sa IT. i started in IT as a programmer, and have been in programming for close to 11 years. when i moved on to another IT company, i realized na mahirap makipagasabayan sa mga mas "oldies" and those much experienced in the programming language where i was exposed, i made the move to [textspeak!] and software testing. i really wanted to move to that area even before (may pagka-OC kasi ako.. hehe..  ;D), kaya lang wala lang chance dun sa mga former companies ko. when i moved to this IT company, i was able to request for a "re-tooling" (term used when you want to shift capabilities - like from programming to testing) and luckily, may opportunity. tama si sis purplewander, marami opportunities sa IT. konting flexibility lang and be sure na IT talaga ang gusto mo.  good luck sis! ;)

lawyer_mom

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2012, 03:06:54 pm »
i can so relate to this thread. i am 34 and just resigned from my 8-5 job. i have my own office now but its been two months and hindi pa ako nakakabreak even. i have been asking myself if i made a wrong choice in changing my career,  pero hindi ko masabi na mali ginawa ko because i am so enjoying my own time.  for the past seven years of my working life hindi ako nakajoin ng mga forums because i have no time  :) and i don't need to make excuses if i need to attend my child's presentation or go to the hospital to see my child's pedia. malaki talaga expenses for now, but i am hopeful business will turn alright

ailz

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2012, 12:19:59 am »
Thanks for this thread, This is really inspiring I just turned 30, mom of 2, married to a seaman and jobless. I handled finances wisely that is why even if my husband is still in the lowest rank we already bought a house in Palawan w/c is now being rented by a foreigner. I'm planning to have my own spa/massage hut pero takot ako baka hindi kayanin ang monthly expenses, like most of the post here nagwoworry din ako at nagiisip hangang dito na lang ba ako?wala na bang something better out there for me? unlike everyone here hindi lang career gusto ko palitan pati status ko sana from married to separated, in my mind I know na mas mabuti mag isa kesa may kasama na parti kang kinakaliwa. o kesa makagawa ka ng masamang bagay para gumanti, but takot ako gawin ang matagal ko ng gustong gawin dahil wala akong stable job at bata pa ang mga anak ko (7 and 2) what is really hindering me from breaking free from this unfaithful marriage is financial concerns. haaayyyy lalo na sa next contract dodoble na sahod ng husband ko at sayang naman kung iba makikinabang. I'm planning to buy a house here in manila through loan para naman maging paupahan dito.Kung gagawin ko to matagal tagal pa bago ako makakawala sa pinapasan ko. I love my husband, and his sincerely repenting and nagbabago naman (but this is the 3rd time and 2nd time ko na nahuli siya nagtatago ng huge amount ng money from meat sa lahat ng pagkakataon nayun nagbabago at sincere din siya nag apologize) sana maiintindihan niyo that sometimes you'll reach a point where you really just got tired of it all. I hope you can give me advice sissies.hayyyy.

thesis_gal

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2012, 06:19:17 am »
I am turning 29 next month and I hate my current job so by next year, I will be resigning, I hope that I find what it is I am looking for by the time I resign, hindi ko alam gusto ko gawin na!

kiz_me1109

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2012, 04:13:08 am »
^ same here sis. I'll be turning 28 this November and i'm eager to resign next year. I'm just waiting for my 5th year here para makuha ko na yung watch then GO na ako look for a better Opportunity! =)

aria

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2012, 05:02:07 am »
Hi ladies  :)
I started working at 31 when I left entrepreneurship.  I think will power is the best weapon and focusing to learn fast.  When I started, my colleagues were on their early 20's and to be honest, I felt the slight discrimination, but I did not allow that feeling to affect me and my goals.   This is more about being more liberated and do not care much on what would others would tell.  They wouldnt know your reasons for shifting gears, and they do not have right to affect what you want.

Kady_14

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2012, 11:27:07 am »
I thought I'd never be able to post here again  ::) exactly a year and a month after.

It's been a week and a few days since I left my job. Eight years na sana by April 2013. I love the the fact that I have more time with myself and the family. Nakakamiss lang ang office friends ko and yung sweldo.

Even before I left, I've attended business seminars as well as thorough readings to get ideas. Since I'm still searching for other ideas before going full blast next year, I'm scouting for online jobs to be productive and para may magawa din sa bahay, nakaka bore pala.

I'm looking at oDesk and other home-based jobs that I can do. Nakaka-stress sa akin yung thought of not being able to earn from what I can do, since I've earned my own money since I was 20.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:18:45 pm by Kady_14 »

Princess_Chill

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2012, 02:42:58 am »
im soo into this right now...im turning 30 next year....and im not happy with my JOB!!  Im working in a BPO by the way...

1st job ko is in a call center na..then i studied culinary arts practiced a while until i got pregnant since maselan pagbubuntis ko i  quit my job now im back in a call center!

Im just here for the money really can't see any progress here. Can't afford to go back sa restaurant field kasi sobrang baba naman ng salary :( hai siyempre i need to think wisely financially kasi i have a kid na :(

Now im eyeing na maging med rep but i think hindi ako papasa kasi may age limit ata sila...Pero ang like ko talaga is magkaroon ng sariling business ( un nga lang di ko pa alam talaga kung anong business + wala pa talaga ako pang puhunan)

now lahat ng gastos sa bahay ako ang nag shoshoulder since allowance lang nakukuha ni hubby ( he's into real estate naman) then iyong commi niya pinangbabayad namin ng mga utang and iyong ibang commi naman matagal pa dumating so kailangan ko talaga ng stable income...

sukang suka na talaga ako sa call center! huhuhu

yengyeng

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2012, 10:35:10 am »
I'm 27yo pa lang naman pero para kasing i want to change career. hindi ko pa rin naman mapagdesisyunan kung paano nga ba, at saang path. para kasing andami kong gusto i try pero syempre hindi pwede yung ganon.

showermist

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2012, 10:49:27 am »
^ & ^^ If you want a career change and you do not know where you want to go, try mapping out your career aspirations. Map out how you are going to reach it. Kasi kung ikaw mismo hindi mo alam kung ano ang goal mo, mas mahihirapan kang magprogress for the career change.

I am an engineering graduate but I found out I am more into financial and healthcare. I can do financials/businesses on the side but I am passionate about healthcare. To get into healthcare and to be able to be on top of the that certain field I am eyeing, I found me career coach. She's the one who helped me mapped out what I need to do. Also, I got me a mentor who helped me and still helping me network, meet influential people.

I am still at school and I am headhunted na.

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close