watch now

Author Topic: starting a new career at 30  (Read 49742 times)

miksha

  • Guest
starting a new career at 30
« on: November 08, 2010, 05:28:30 pm »
who here started a new career (as in brand new, 180 degree turn, start from scratch newbie ) when they turned 30+ year old? how has it been?

Cesg

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 02:53:33 pm »
I'm 31 and I just transitioned into more entrepreneurial stuff last year. I want to have more time for myself kasi in the future. So far it's been difficult, kasi I haven't fully left my other career yet.

I also get the feeling that there are so many things about the new career that I should have learned years ago... parang sayang yung years na desk job lang ako, dapat pala nagpa-plano na ako from then on.

The upside is that I'm a little older and even though I haven't been at this new career long, there's automatically more credibility. (I guess people can't help equating age with experience.)

charmedwitch776

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 04:01:05 am »
this is my dilemma din...im turning BIG 3-0 and wanted to shift career sana since im not that happy w/ whats happening in my career. pero kasi parang awkward na to be in entry level at this age. maxado risky na. tumitingin tingin nga ako sa mga job posting in jobsdb and jobstreet pero nakikita ko pag entry level they want fresh graduate. i even tried several times to apply for entry level pero till now wala kahit isang reply from the company i sent my cv.
sana tulad [textspeak!] in US and other country na walang age discrimation...na they will accept anyone as long as willing to be trained and college grad. me isang friend ko nagsabi sakin kasi nagrequest ako irefer nya ako na ang reply daw sa kanya ng HR nila overqualified daw ako at too old for the position im applying. kasi tingin nila its hard to train daw un mga nasa ganitong age na. sad noh...

twix

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 03:30:54 pm »
wow! parang may bagong thread ako mapupuntahan nakaka relate dito... :)start a new career at age of 30's

shinta

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 03:42:27 pm »
^^agree with sis charmedwitch776

i wanted to shift to another field sana, although related naman sa career ko dati. kaya lang ang hirap maghanap ng willing mag-train or mag-accept sa entry-level positions kapag alam nilang may years of experience na.  siguro, iniisip nila na training lang ang habol natin, at konting experience sa bagong field. then aalis din to look for better opportunities. which in my case, is true naman talaga. hehe.

Cesg

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 07:53:51 am »
sana tulad [textspeak!] in US and other country na walang age discrimation...na they will accept anyone as long as willing to be trained and college grad. me isang friend ko nagsabi sakin kasi nagrequest ako irefer nya ako na ang reply daw sa kanya ng HR nila overqualified daw ako at too old for the position im applying. kasi tingin nila its hard to train daw un mga nasa ganitong age na. sad noh...

I've heard this rin, sis. Pero I came from a company rin naman that refused to hire fresh grads na (after our batch hehe) because we all left in less than a year and sobrang hassle for them to hire new people. They concluded na pag fresh grad kasi, wala pang motivation to stay. Usually naman yung mga traditional companies, they want people na a little older, kasi yung mga bata masyadong fickle pa.

I also know someone who just removed all the position titles on her resume (so puro responsibilities lang ang nakalista) and she got the job she wanted based on that. Hirap siya kasi when she left the positions in, "AVP" level na kasi siya kahit na bata pa, and the companies she applied for thought na naturally gusto niya higher title after. Eh di naman siya ganon, haha.

moonchild117

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 10:47:47 am »
wow, it's a topic i can relate to! haha! i also want a shift in career right now. and i'm turning 31 a few days from now. if ever i'm going to shift careers, gusto ko na ng sariling business. at this point, mukhang mahirap na for me makahanap ng ibang employer since they probably would want someone younger, tipong fresh grad. e ako siguro 10 years ago pa akong nag-graduate. hehe! i guess mas maigi kung i'll put up my own business na lang...

cjwen

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 09:33:01 pm »
It's really hard to start again at our age no?  Ako naman, I have lots of experiences na in different fields.  I've been a sped teacher, admin jobs, and secretarial.  So right now, I'm working as an Executive Secretary but feeling ko, at my age I should be pushing myself more.  I'm interested in Online English Teacher works.  Maganda ang pay and better work schedule pa compared to call centers.  Ok ba mag-start sa field na to at my age (31)? 

mystella

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 08:49:10 pm »
siguro much better if u apply abroad na lang, if you've already turned 30.

summerster

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 10:29:42 pm »
waaaa nakakarelate ako... i,m turning 30 mga sis. i want to shift career din... iniisip ko nga magmasteral para mas madali magshift. or lipat sa government or abroad din. i need more stable work kasi work ko ngayon di ako happy sa salary though enjoy naman sa work itself which makes me stay. but i also need to prepare din for future.

realmofadreamer

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 06:34:51 am »
I'm turning 30 this year and target ko rin makapagwork ako as PT. Since I graduated and passed the board exam, hindi pa ako nakapagwork as PT but last year I resigned from call center job to get the additional credit requirement ng FCCPT so I can apply sa US. Habang nagaaral, nagbuy and sell din ako but usually bazaars na lang muna (although I might start selling online again) and also doing online jobs. Para at least meron akong "plan B" if worse comes to worst.

joban99

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 08:57:15 am »
Naku! Matanda na pala ako, hehe.. Im 31 and I just changed my job (Im still in the transition phase actually). Im pretty sure that this wont be my last job, pero Im 100% sure that this will be the last organization I ever join.

I never felt if was hard to move from different jobs and industries. Pero syempre, everyone is different.

mystella

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 09:07:53 pm »
wow, iba talaga ang discrimination sa pinas pag nakitang nasa line of 3 ka na.
how about starting a business?
or try working abroad?

michi247

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 08:04:05 am »
ito rin ang dilemna ko, full time mom ako simula nung nanganak ako. bank and bpo yung experience ko, sa bank may age limit din yung mga position, ayaw ko na rin mag BPO. so iniisip ko kung makakahanap din ko ng work by the time na mag-aapply na ulit ako. willing din ko kahit mag entry level, maiba lang ng career pero mukhang bihira tumatanggap na company pag nasa 30's na rin.

slickchick

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 01:58:46 pm »
nice to find this thread. im also in my 30's (33 to be exact), and i just shifted careers, though related naman somehow yung past work ko with my current one. matagal ko na gusto magshift ng careers kasi super stressful and brain-breaking yung previous line of work ko. my current one is still stressful but it's not as rigorous as compared to the last one. swerte lang ako kasi my current company, and current project assignment allowed me to move/change career. nakikita din kasi nung boss ko na hindi na talaga ako happy. as in obvious na yung displeasure ko sa work.  ;D though medyo toxic pa rin kasi yung project na talaga namin yung may problem.  :( mas madami din kasi opportunities with my new line of work kaya nagdecide na rin ako magshift.  :)

angeleigh

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 02:27:39 pm »
Me too! Parang gusto ko ng work na less stress. For 5 years kasi nasa IT System Implementation ako. Hay, sobrang stressful talaga. :( Gusto ko naman mapirmi sa isang lugar.

craziestqueenever

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 04:16:14 pm »
I'm not 30 pero I'm planning to start a new career. I took up Nursing pero di ko naman ito gusto. Hayyyy... Gusto ko sana maging isang Writer. How I wish na pwede pa.

Salamat sa Thread na ito na iinspire ako. Kahit I'm 21. Nakakarelate ako.

realmofadreamer

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 06:38:03 pm »
^naku sis bata ka pa. pwede ka pang pumili ng career path na gusto mo. and at your age, marami ka pang choices. But its also good that at a young age, you choose the career that you truly love and not just because ito yung fad or maraming gumagawa nito. Ako kasi I tried to love what I had kasi akala ko yun ang dapat (diba may kasabihang ganun?) pero in my case hindi ko rin nakuha ang self-fulfillment na hinahanap ko. and at almost 30, feeling ko too late na.

muahmuahmuah

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 12:33:56 am »
i have a soort of relative who went through a lot. when her life made an unexpected turn at around 40, married with 2 kids, she decided to study again and be a nurse, her dad who passed suddenly triggered the change.

now she has a stable career. she's around 55 na. it's not too late and it's never too late,  even if it seems like it. her maturity to handle and balance her goals and passion came timely i think coz of the focus and drive she had for it.  so if you feel the need to go change something in your life just go do it.  i have friends too who launched themselves at a new career mid 30s.  sometimes it takes that much time to really find what you want to do in life and who you want to be in the end.

michi247

  • Guest
Re: starting a new career at 30
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 05:55:14 am »
^ thanks for sharing, it's never too late talaga...

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close