I'm the eldest and the breadwinner. I'm in a similar predicament. I try to balance it. I just don't want later on to be bitter or resent my family for helping them more than helping myself earn my own money, and have my own life, and fulfill my own dreams, until it's too late.
I never tell them how much my income is, to avoid being trapped/blackmailed or taken advantage. How much I help, or give financially should always be up to me. The earner should decide and have a say in the house. I lost my job and didn't work for 2-3 months, actually ayoko pa rin nga sana mag work, just to see if they can survive naman, and so far parang kaya naman, may nailalabas naman silang sariling pera nila for the house expenses.
kasi pag me pera na ako ayun, lahat ng gastos reimbursible to me. even when it's their own personal things they bought, so I try my best to be strict. since I pay all expenses, I usually stick with the necessities, like for groceries for meals lang wala ng junkfoods. dati na-afford ko pa to treat them out on weekends, kaso magastos na rin kaya bihira na, like for movies or out-of-town trips parang ako palagi ang taya, kaya i prefer to go out w/ friends at least KKB kami.
kasi kung ano lifestyle ko nagiging lifestyle din ng pamilya, and it's unfair, for them to enjoy their lives more than me when it's at my expense. As the panganay dumaan ako sa lahat ng hirap, from studies to working, kaso younger siblings, lumalaki nlng sa luho. Problem ko pa minsan nagkaka-inggitan. If I buy clothes for one, I have to buy for all, kaya natuto na rin ako mag-ukay-ukay.
Mind you, it doesn't stop sa pag-papa-aral ng siblings yan. Since they learned to depend, they suddenly get married w/o being financially stable, soon you'll find yourself, sending your nieces/nephews to school na rin.
Ok lang sana if I'm male, but at my age, feeling ko maging old maid nako nito. I just want to buy my own place, my own car, and live independently. At least when I get old, I know di ako maging pabigat sa family ko, wala rin naman akong ma-aasahan sa kanila ngayon, at lalo na siguro in the future.
(similar to @mhy_pie03 bf, and @xxmiakaxx)
@mhy_pie03, don't delay your dreams, problems will always be there, you might regret it someday when it's too late, just plan and work it out. ako nga eh, even though i'm single, meron naman akong natabi enough for a big expense (like a wedding, downpayment for a car or condo) so that when the time comes, money won't be an issue. i'm trying to plan everyone's financial well-being to free myself from future obligations.