watch now

Author Topic: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...  (Read 45508 times)

phurple0515

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 04:29:13 pm »
^ naku sis, pareho tayo, laging tanong ng mga dating officemates namin or kakilala na si ganito buntis na etc, kayo, kelan? Lagi rin namin sagot na 'Madami pa kami gusto gawin at ayusin' :P  Makulit.  Parang pinepressure ka na mag-anak ka na, mas magaling pa sila sa amin ni hubby.  Darating din yon pero not now.  Di naman namin sinabing ayaw namin e. 

rara_avis

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 04:54:02 pm »
^ As if naman sila ang mag-aalaga di ba at sila ang gagastos.

clueless

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 05:35:08 pm »
almost 6 years married and we were childless by choice for the 1st 2 years of married life. after that, we tried for 2 years to have a baby but no luck. turned out i had PCOS and i didn't want to take all the meds and the fertility supplements. at the time, we thought na if we'd be blessed with a child, thank you. if not, ok lang. so we came to terms with the situation and just accepted the fact that ours was possibly going to be a childless marriage. by choice pa din kasi we could have chosen to take all the meds to counteract PCOS but we didn't. we just let things be.

then last may, i found out i was pregnant. i was 3 months along na at the time. we weren't even trying and we didn't really expect it because of my PCOS and all.

mixed emotions. for someone who decided not to have a child, bakit ako pa ang binigyan. so many people want to have kids and are willing to do whatever it takes just to have kids. bakit hindi na lang sila ang binigyan, bakit ako na hindi naman humihingi. so now we're going to have a baby, not really by choice, but what can we do but to accept this blessing diba?

for a long time, some of my friends could not understand why i didn't want kids. my parents were ok with it. my close friends respected the choice. now that i'm pregnant, those who could not understand why i didn't want kids now keep on saying na finally daw, nandito na ang matagal ko nang hinihintay. parang in denial sila na during the time that i said i didn't want kids, i really meant it.

but don't get me wrong ha. i don't hate this baby. i don't resent the fact that i got pregnant. if it were up to me lang talaga, ayaw ko sana but i was blessed with one eh so thank you diba. i've come to terms with it na, tanggap ko na. took a while for me to accept it though.

ang reason ko kasi before for not wanting kids was i didn't want a lifestyle change. i wanted to continue living the same kind of life i had. my husband agreed with me, though at the start he thought it was a just a phase i was going through. later on, he realized i was serious and he was fine with it naman.

being childless by choice doesn't make you selfish. maybe it does to some extent kasi some people may interpret this as you not wanting to let go of the comforts you have while childless - the lifestyle, being able to travel whenever and wherever etc. parang sarili mo lang kasi ang iniisip mo. but imo, for people who have a wider perspective of things, this is not a selfish choice at all kasi you know for a fact that you want to live life childless - that you may not be able to be a good parent to a child because you don't want a child. and if you don't want a child, baka hindi mo din siya mapalaki ng maayos.

diba mas selfish na may anak ka pero may resentment ka naman sa kanya kasi hindi mo siya ginusto? or na nagka-anak ka for the wrong reasons - like para may mag-alaga sayo pagtanda mo, para may sumuporta sayo pagtanda mo?

sabi nila people who are childless by choice only say that they are that because they don't know what it feels like to have a child. i respect that opinion. i respect people who chose to have kids. sana lang these people also learn to respect those people who chose not to have kids. it's a free country, if you are capable of having kids, it is your choice if you want to have any or not.

maybe just be sensitive enough not to openly talk about this in front of people who are not childless by choice but by circumstance.

Bubblin

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 10:48:39 pm »
^congratulations to you sis clueless and your hubby.

I agree in what you've said."being childless by choice doesn't make you selfish. maybe it does to some extent kasi some people may interpret this as you not wanting to let go of the comforts you have while childless - the lifestyle, being able to travel whenever and wherever etc. parang sarili mo lang kasi ang iniisip mo. but imo, for people who have a wider perspective of things, this is not a selfish choice at all kasi you know for a fact that you want to live life childless - that you may not be able to be a good parent to a child because you don't want a child. and if you don't want a child, baka hindi mo din siya mapalaki ng maayos."

as compared to a lot of people,hindi ako maki-bata talaga.I don't really like kids,but I don't really hate them either.I like my friends' kids;it's not just I'm not longing to have one.I rarely do the cooing to a baby,playing with a toddler,or interacting with a child.I like my life and lifestyle as it is.I don't want to complicate things.

rsc_ricci

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 04:48:39 am »
Can't help but ask, before you sisses got married, did you tell your partners ba na you prefer to be childless? Kasi I have a friend, prior to his marriage ang saya niya sobrang ngkwekwento of his plans to have children kaagad, and how he's going to be a hands on dad. Fast forward today (around mga 3 years na siguro), he told us his wife doesn't want to have kids pala and that adopting a child is not an option. Sana lang before they tied the knot nalinaw nila yun kasi even if tanggap na ng friend ko we can see he's longing pa rin to have children. His wife seems firm na ayaw talaga. In your cases, were there times na nag-ask partner niyo to change your mind?

freeswan

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 04:58:25 am »
you know kasi sis, once nasa marriage ka na at nagsama na kayo ng husband mo, you'll learn a lot of things. and as time passes by, mababago ang paningin mo sa mga bagay bagay. maybe the wife did not intend to not have a baby at the  beginning. siguro she just realized it somewhere along in their marriage. or pwede rin na ayaw na talaga ng girl from the start eh she just wants the guy so bakit ba niya sasabihin. ang importante is nakasal sila.  bahala na about the baby thing. baka yun lang siguro. kaya before getting married, it is important that you talk about this seriously.

phurple0515

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 08:56:19 am »
^ tama pero pwedeng ngayon you want to have a baby then after, wag muna.  hubby and i, nong mag-bf-gf kami, daming plans of having little ones.  Pero nong living together na, ayan, we thought na pag meron, e di ok, pero ngayon, we just want to enjoy our lives together.  Dami pa namin gusto kasi maabot.  tska ngayon, lagi pa rin naman namin sinasabi na "pag me baby tayo, etc....". 

Bubblin

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 09:58:30 pm »
Can't help but ask, before you sisses got married, did you tell your partners ba na you prefer to be childless? Kasi I have a friend, prior to his marriage ang saya niya sobrang ngkwekwento of his plans to have children kaagad, and how he's going to be a hands on dad. Fast forward today (around mga 3 years na siguro), he told us his wife doesn't want to have kids pala and that adopting a child is not an option. Sana lang before they tied the knot nalinaw nila yun kasi even if tanggap na ng friend ko we can see he's longing pa rin to have children. His wife seems firm na ayaw talaga. In your cases, were there times na nag-ask partner niyo to change your mind?
ako plan ko pa lang once I enter a serious relationship na may talks about the future,I will bring up the "no,I don't want kids" card.that way,I won't be wasting his time,he won't be wasting mine.fair din para sa kanya,pwede pa siya makahanap ng partner na willing bigyan siya ng anak.

izabelle

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 10:20:41 am »
Nice topic. More than 1 year married but still childless... and no plans of having a baby pa.. Why? Yun ang decision namin eh at dahil yun ang alam namin makakabuti para sa amin.

People need to respect other people's belief. Totoong nakakainis yung mga akala mo kung magsalita sila magpapatakbo ng buhay mo. Isang kakilala nagsabi sa akin dati na boring daw buhay ng walang anak dahil baliwala lahat ng paghihirap mo. Sabi ko sa kanya nasasabi mo yan dahil may anak ka na, pero ako na wala pang anak paano ko malalaman boring eh nag eenjoy ako! :P

Dito kasi sa Pinas kapag may asawa ka, para bang obligasyon mo na may mapakita kang baby sa kanila at dapat kapag naghoneymoon ka buntis ka na pagbalik. Pero what if hindi yun ang plano at priority mo sa buhay diba? what if hindi yun ang makakapag pasaya talaga sayo?

Even before we got married open kami sa pagiging childless. Hubby and I got married because we love each other at yun ang number 1 reason namin kung magkababy man bonus nalang yun ni Lord. Some people can't accept that reason :D Kaloka diba? hehe mas marunong pa sila :)

Masasabi ko lang, karamihan kung magsalita akala mo mabuting parent but look at the kind  of life na nabibigay nila sa mga anak nila, they can't even give them a comfortable life. KUng hindi ko lang din kayang bigyan ng mabuting buhay ang anak ko I'd rather be childless.

Basta kanya kanyang choice yan ang importante wala kang tinatapakan na ibang tao. :)

shinta

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 11:13:07 am »
good thing i found this thread. i feel like i'm a little confused.

we're not childless by choice pero we're not so eager to have a baby. after we got married, i ask my hubby if he wants to have a baby na, sabi niya let's enjoy our time together muna for 1 year. and that's what i want also. after 1 year, i ask him again, sabi niya hangga't maaari wag muna. pero if ibigay, ok lang but we're not going to go the extra mile para magka-baby. that's also what i thought.

then i have some repro conditions na sabi ng OB, makakatulong daw ang pagbubuntis. but honestly, we're not really trying hard. kahit kaliwa't kanan ang nabubuntis na kakilala namin, di kami nape-pressure or naiinggit. di din naman kasi talaga mahilig sa bata and we also like leading a carefree life.

tapos ngayon, i'm suspecting i'm pregnant. 3 days na akong delayed and i'm experiencing some symptoms na di ko na naexperience dati prior to my period. di pa ako nag-PT 'coz I'm thinking 3 days delayed might be too soon.

pero i have mixed emotions. i'm partly excited kasi syempre having a baby is exciting and i can imagine our families na sobrang matutuwa since sila naman yung nangungulit samin. and like what i said, this is good for me healthwise.

pero when i think about the things that we can do anymore, especially in the coming years, parang nalulungkot din ako. for example, nakalatag na yung travels/vacations namin for this year pati na din yung mga career plans namin. maaapektuhan yun for sure if i'm pregnant now. i may sound selfish, pero i really want to travel and see the places i want to see and plantsahin muna yung gusto naming mangyari sa career namin before magka-baby. we're giving ourselves mga 4-5 years pa sana.

if i weigh my feelings, mas lamang yung ayaw ko sa gusto ko. sometimes i wish na delayed lang talaga ako and will have my period soon. pero iniisip ko din if i'm really pregnant, baka last chance ko na ito since may mga repro problems nga ako. but i'm really saddened na di matutuloy mga plans namin for this year and maybe, the next 2 years pa.

bad ba that i feel that way?

i also told my hubby that i'm 3 days delayed. nagjoke lang siya about it. parang wala lang.



tabbru

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 11:22:39 am »
We Filipinos have been socialized that children are central to family life. Kaya nga hindi pa maaaring tawaging "pamilya" ang mag-asawa hanggang wala silang anak. Mananatili silang 'mag-asawa' lang. So kakaunti talaga siguro ang makikita nating couples na childless by choice. Sila siguro yung may malakas na western influence.

But I really admire those couples who are happy kahit walang anak. Parang ang strong ng bond nila na hindi na nila kailangan ng additional adhesive (i.e. children).

bellapot

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 11:31:07 am »
Before I got married, I also did not intend to have any children. I come from a big, extended family. Even though I only have one other sister who's a year older, lumaki naman kami surrounded by our titos and titas, and our cousins. In fact, kami lang ang pinakakonti na magkapatid sa aming mag-pinsan. My Ate herself has 3 children, her last 2 were pretty close pa to each other in age. When you come from a family who believes that having a lot of kids is the norm, it's hard talaga to stay childless by choice. My husband naman was okay with not having children. Kung mabigyan, okay, kung hinde, okay lang din. I on the other hand, was all up for having NO kids at all. But apparently, God has a sense of humor. He decided to bless me with one extremely makulit, extremely mapilya na baby girl. Our world has been turned upside down ever since, hehe. I do admit that sometimes, sana, hindi muna ako nabuntis. There were still a lot of things that my husband and I wanted to do as a couple lang. But now that we have our daughter, we can't imagine doing anything without her. Parang OT na ata story ko, but just the same, people should respect the choice of others. Before I got pregnant, I also had to endure countless "when ka mag-bebaby" and infertility jokes from our relatives and friends. It wasn't fun, but now that I have my daughter, and tinatanong naman sa kin is, kailan namin siya susundan. Hayyy...some people just don't know when to shut up and mind their own business.

artegirl

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 02:37:58 pm »
It's difficult to be childless by choice here in the Phils.  Sa side ng family ko, they have accepted na na we don't have kids.  pero sa side by husband ko, I just don't have the heart to disillusion them that we don't want to have a kid - I just let them think na we are unable....

I remember reading somewhere a long time ago, ang typical na pinoy comments/questions are:

to the single - o ano, wala ka pa rin bf?
pag my bf - o ano, hindi pa kayo magpapakasal?
pag married na - o ano, wala pa?
pag 1 kid na - ay bakit 1 pa lang?  kailan nyo susundan?
pag 2 kids na - bakit 2 lang?  dagdagan nyo pa! (ngek! ano 'to, cheaper by the dozen?!)

Bubblin

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 11:09:23 am »
tagal ko na uli hindi naka-visit dito,anyway:

@shinta - hi sis, nag-PT ka na? ano result? sa akin kasi sis it's quite natural that you  felt "panghihinayang" with your plans since hindi ninyo talaga plano magka-baby.of course, you have to completely change your plans.having a baby is no joke.all aspects in life,even marriage and friendships are affected.to be realistic, a lot of positive and negative changes are expected to happen. if positive ka sis, congratulations.

@tabbru: same as you do, I admire couples who are very much intact even if they are childless. IMHO lang, talagang may matibay na bond sila kasi they look out for each other.mas lalo nilang nakikilala ang isa't isa.

forsix10

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, 03:52:37 pm »
nong nabasa ko tong topic na to, di ko mapigilang hindi magcomment. sobrang hanga kasi ko sa mga couples who are childless by choice man o hindi but still nagsasama pa rin. unlike yung iba na kaya lang nagsasama eh dahil sa me anak sila.

ako naman sinasabihan na mag anak pa kasi 2 girls kids ko, wala pa raw akong boy, na ang bata ko pa raw, etc, etc. eh by choice din yung sa min na wag ng mag anak pa. dami ko pa ring plans at gusto gawin sa buhay.

shinta

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2011, 03:55:58 pm »
@sis Bubblin',  thanks sis. di pa ako nagPT pero hanggang ngayon wala pa din.

that's exactly what i'm thinking. parang di pa ako ready to accept those changes and i can sense that my husband isn't as well. di naman namin gustong maging childless forever but for us, having a baby now is too soon.

for our age, (i'm 31 and he's 32), dapat talaga magkababy na kami. pero tulad ng katwiran ko dati about marriages, gustong ikasal dahil ready na ko mag-asawa at di dahil nagmamadali ako. gusto ko din magkababy pag alam kong ready na kami at not because tumatanda na kami.

but then again in my case, health is a factor. having a baby might save me from going through an operation. so yun na lang din iniisip ko.




Bubblin

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2011, 04:39:31 pm »
^kung positive or negative man,I wish that God give you the strength,wisdom,and courage...

@forsix: exactly.IMHO I believe that sometimes, kung sino pa ang childless na couples,sila pa ang may healthy and happy marriage.let's face it, maraming marami talagang magbabago kapag nagkaanak at hindi exempted dyan ang relasyon ng mag-asawa.I think it's also healthier for the individuals, if in case the inevitable happens and they have to part ways, they can choose to do so without having any children crushed or traumatized by their separation.

marose17

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2011, 10:18:15 pm »
 @Shinta, somehow I can relate to how you are feeling right now.  I got pregnant a few months after my husband and I got married.  Then, we lost the baby at 10 weeks.  It was hard to accept but I thought God had other plans.  So, my husband and I busied ourselves with furnishing our condo, buying stuff, going out of town, taking vacations, shopping, dining out, nesting when we got tired of going out and basically living a carefree life.

Around nine months after I lost the baby (and a month after our first wedding anniversary), I found out I was pregnant again.  And I felt mixed emotions. I didn't know whether to be happy to be given a chance again so soon, or to be a bit hinayang because everything will change.  I wasn't sure if I was ready to be a mother, or if I will be a good parent.

Well, I wasn't given a long time to mull things over because I suddenly discovered I had immuno-reproductive issues and so, the focus went to getting the right treatment so that I will not miscarry again.  And then, surprise, surprise, I learned I was carrying twins.  From that day forward, I felt happiness at the prospect of two babies agad and also fear because what if I would miscarry again.

I guess the most important thing I learned is to just savor the moment.  Once I decided to just let it be, the worries did not seem so big.  The issues were still there but I could look at it from another perspective.  Rather than clouding my happiness, the issues defined what I should be thankful for.

And yes, I did embrace motherhood beautifully. :)

Anyway, on topic, being childless by choice is a choice.   Let us respect how other couples want to live their lives.

shinta

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2011, 07:15:43 am »
thank sis marose for sharing your experience.  :) it's very enlightening. siguro dadating din yung time na maa-outweigh ng happiness yung panghihinayang ako over the things i cannot do anymore if I'm pregnant.

mahirap talaga maging childless by choice dito sa society natin. karamihan kasi iniisip na ang objective ng pagpapakasal ay pagkakaroon ng anak at pagbuo ng pamilya. but i see it as a union of two people who want to be together for the rest of their lives. having a child is an option, not a requisite.

natalia

  • Guest
Re: Filipino couples who are childless by choice...
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2011, 10:40:59 am »
I told my husband to be (getting married palang next year) na I'm not sure I want to have children. I have a problematic brother and nakita ako ang hirap na dinulot nya sa magulang namin. I don't think I can go through kung ano ang pinagdaanan ng parents  namin. Marami pang other reasons, but the point is I'm not sure I want children. Ngayon pa nga lang na hindi kami kasal, andami nang nagtatanong kung magbebaby na kagad kami, kung ilan, etc. I'm preparing myself for the pangungulit when we do get married.

Wag na lang tayo masyado ma stress, mga sisters, if people ask us why this or why that. Let's just understand na ganun talaga ang maraming tao. Not everyone will be accepting of our choices. It doesn't mean they judge us (altho most of them do), they're just really curious and it's really part of our culture. Isipin nalang natin, well, if they don't think we have a great marriage kasi wala tayong anak, eh kebs. Basta ang importante, my husband and me, WE think we have a great marriage. So kebs nalang sa iba.

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close