watch now

Author Topic: How did you get your love for reading?  (Read 55148 times)

lytblu

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #200 on: March 12, 2015, 06:44:45 pm »
mom ko kasi mahilig magbasa. nung grade 5 ako, my aunt gave me a copy of sweet valley twins. ayun sinubukan kong basahin hanggang sa naging book fiend na ako. grabe mga collection ko ng mga libro dati...from sweet valley to fear st to stephen king to sophie kinsella. pero nung lipat bahay kami, halos lahat binenta ko na. aww.

gwyne21

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #201 on: March 17, 2015, 04:33:08 pm »
When I was in primary school, poor ang performance ko sa spelling. We had spelling quizzes every week and madalas less than half lang tama kong sagot. My dad said magbasa ako ng dictionary to improve my spelling. I tried kaya lang boring naman magbasa ng dictionary.
I found some classic books ni Mama. I started reading Little Women. Na-enjoy ko magbasa and from there, nagtuloy-tuloy na. I guess nag-improve din ako sa spelling at vocabulary kahit papaano..hehe..
Over the years, marami na rin ako genre na nakahiligan like romance, children's classic, self-help books, psych books, suspense novels, etc.

Perfume_Lover

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #202 on: March 26, 2015, 09:04:33 pm »
Loner ako kaya siguro pag babasa yung nagpapabusy sa akin. Sabi din ng mom ko, yung bahay ko daw sa tiyan niya ibinaon daw ng auntie ko with newspaper and articles kaya mahilig at love ko daw magbasa, ewan ko lang kung totoo yun o namana ko lang.

Bata pa lang ako mahilig na magbasa ~ first comic book na binabasa ko ay yung Richie Rich
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:10:29 pm by Perfume_Lover »

marelen

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #203 on: April 09, 2015, 04:52:52 pm »
since i was a kid i already love reading. guess i got it from my dad who read for me since i was a baby sabi ng mom ko. :)

rics

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #204 on: April 10, 2015, 10:27:19 am »
I remember everyday since i was in elementary, there was newspaper in our house - manila bulletin, and I  somehow got encouraged to read, not just the entertainment section but also the news.

When I went to HS, i loved the library of my school. Started with Nancy Drew and im pretty sure i read all the ND books in that library. Since it was also a requirement to produce book report a couple of times a year, I then moved on to reading the classics, the likes of Little Women, Wuthering heights, etc. Minsan, we ere grouped and would be required to read only 1 book title, tapos produce book report - yung mga classmate ko they would copy from me since hindi sila mahilig magbasa.

hindi ko  lang nakahiligan magbasa ng romance novels - the only romance novels i enjoyed reading was Barbara Cartland since I got fascinated with love stories of royalty.

ri-anne

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #205 on: April 10, 2015, 11:49:39 pm »
I started young. We had lots of Children's Encyclopedias at home, but favourite ko yung Disney's Wonderful World of Knowledge and The New Arthur Mee's Children's Encyclopedia.

Siempre at first naaliw lang ako sa pictures, then eventually sa stories & general knowledge. :) even before i started going to school i already know different capitals of the world, the planets, history ng ibat ibang countries, different systems of the body, famous artists/inventirs/scientists, etc...lol! :) tinanong nga ako ng mga bata na kapitbahay namin kasi hindi ako nakikipaglaro sa kanila, "anong ginagawa mo sa bahay nyo?"  My answer: "nagbabasa ng mga libro" hehe i didn't realize it sounded nerdy pala... ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:10:23 am by ri-anne »

imyourangel

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #206 on: July 04, 2015, 12:38:17 pm »
It all started with Archie Comics.
Then ang daming nakakalat sa bahay na comics na Archie.. until I found Nancy Drew.
Then Sweet Valley High.

tischarmedlife

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #207 on: July 08, 2015, 05:00:27 am »
I got it from both my parents. Dami din namin mga books when I was younger. Dalawang set and encyclopedia namin, aside sa mga paperbacks ni Papa at mga pocketbooks ni Mama.  ;D

When I was studying na, mas prefer ko'ng magbasa ng books kesa makipag-daldalan sa mga classmates ko. Come high school, mas madalas ako sa library kahit ako lang mag-isa. Hanggang college, ganun na. Then nahilig na rin ako sa mga novels ni Sheldon, Grisham, Griffin at ni Crichton.

Even si hubby, super hilig din magbasa. Bonding na namin yung tumambay sa NBS or Booksale. Pati yung 4 year old son namin, nahawa na rin  :)

aoshi_01

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #208 on: August 03, 2015, 06:11:02 pm »
Grade school. First grade, I always borrowed the Peter Pan book in SSAM's library. Ewan ko ba trip na trip ko yung kwento niya. Come third grade, one of mom's officemates gave me a Sweet Valley Kids book. And since series ang Sweet Valley, it led to being a collection. Until I progressed to Sweet Valley Twins..then High and then the Saga. And then nag branch out na to different genres especially nung college which got me into Anne Rice.

[-c-h-a-]

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #209 on: September 02, 2015, 07:04:07 pm »
I got it from my Dad. He was a voracious reader and visited libraries whenever he could. Even when we were overseas, he'd walk to the library and stay there just reading novels. In the Philippines, he'd always bring a different book home once or twice a week.

I remember when i was in primary school, we'd be allowed to check out library books once every fortnight. And he'd read them to me while waiting for my school bus. One of the books he bought, "Famous Places", also started my love for traveling!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:06:07 pm by gumdrops26 »

reighnyielle

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #210 on: September 03, 2015, 10:43:10 am »
My love for reading started when I was in grade 4. When we have early dismissals from class, I go to the library and read books. I also borrow books in our library. I didn't know that the librarian is tracking down the students who have borrowed the most number of books pala and nagulat nalang ako ng one day bigla nalang pinataas ako ng stage after our flag ceremony because I was being given an award for being the top student book borrower and after getting that award, my love for reading grew stronger.

naturelle

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #211 on: September 03, 2015, 11:58:55 am »
I think I got it from my parents, even before I started school, may effect pala pag nakikita mo yung parents mo na ginagawa talaga, you'd think na normal lang ang reading at home kasi nakikita mo sa kanila everyday.

imyourangel

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #212 on: September 03, 2015, 07:13:41 pm »
^^That's nice! Why didn't they do that at my school. :D

choco_loka

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #213 on: September 05, 2015, 04:37:46 pm »
I think it all started with Harry Potter when I was in grade 6 (2000 or 2001). Wala pang grado mata ko nun. I started high school then I had to start wearing glasses, 300 grado ng first glasses ko, now 550 na. Reading is really fun, but I always tell my nieces n nephews to take good care of their eyes and to rest para di matulad sa kin :)

mimai1122

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #214 on: September 23, 2015, 02:23:05 am »
My mom and dad told me that I started reading (or tried to learn how to read) at 2 or 3 years old. I would sit beside my dad as he read the newspaper and I'd pretend to read. I had a lot of Dr. Seuss books and a really, really big book of nursery rhymes and fairy tales. My sister and I had records with storybooks of Cinderella, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty. We'd read the books while listening to the songs in the album.

Eventually, I started reading Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books. In high school, I shifted to Sweet Dreams and began reading Ludlum, Mario Puzo, and Sydney Sheldon. I haven't stopped reading ever since.

Oh, by the way, Sesame Street also taught me how to read!😉

TysLolakins

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #215 on: October 09, 2015, 05:00:47 am »
mahilig ako magbasa ng komiks growing up in the Philippines in the '60s/'70s.

cosmochick

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #216 on: October 18, 2015, 05:16:47 pm »
I was in grade IV when I started reading tagalog pocketbooks. Then I eventually moved on to Sweet Valley Twins series, High, University... dami ko books dati but sa kakalipat lipat ng house, nawala na rin sila.

Escapaira

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #217 on: October 30, 2015, 10:58:24 am »
Nagstart lang ako sa mga comics (Archie, Pugad Baboy, WITCH) and mga kids encyclopedia tapos nung high school and college japanese manga, chicken soup and bob ong books.

najine

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2015, 02:06:32 pm »
Cant remember when ako nagstart but during elementary days when internet is not the "IN" thing yet which Im thankful for. I started with tagalog pocketbooks, sweet valleys, magazines etc then now more on self help books or inspirational and some novels.  :) One of the reason why lumabo siguro mata ko haha current grade 350/400.  ;D

Miss Taken

  • Guest
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #219 on: November 03, 2015, 01:25:49 am »
I inherited it from my grandfather, my mom's dad. When I was young, I remember always seeing him in the morning reading newspapers - Manila Bulletin and Inquirer and solving crossword puzzles and I got really curious on how he can answer it so fast. My grandfather told me that reading is the key. I was only 3 or 4 years old that time so I already knew how to read even before I started pre-school. I have a collection of Archie comics, Goosebumps series and also read classic novels when I was in elementary.

Reading is the good kind of obsession for me :)

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close