Author Topic: Suggestions on Progressive Schools  (Read 137255 times)

cute_alala

• Probationary
Suggestions on Progressive Schools
« on: November 06, 2009, 01:16:36 pm »
Hi! I'm pretty new to GT but I've been checking this blog out regularly for the past month. Thank you so much for having this forum, BTW, I wanted to ask if there are any of you out there who can give me feedback re: PARKWOOD PLAYSCHOOL along Legaspi Ave, Maybunga Pasig City? and St. Gabriel International School in Palatiw PAsig? I've decided that I would rather expose my girl to progressive education. We live in the Pasig area, so I've been trawling the web looking through progressive schools. Hope someone can help me out. Thanks! :-* :-*

bella chloe

• GirlTalker
Re: Looking for a Progressive School . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:06:13 pm »
My nephew and niece went to Parkwood Playschool.  The boy is now an honor student in Ateneo and the girl just got accepted in Poveda.

We love all their activities.  They always have exhibits and small trips.  Last year, the students even put up their own cafe.  They were the ones who prepared their food, waiters and cashiers.  For their Moving Up Day, it was held in a very posh theater in Pasig. Very very impressive.

It is a really good progressive school and they are very strict with their class size, I think 1:6.  They have a FB page and a website.  Just google them.

miksha

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 02:55:07 pm »
what is a progressive school?

pears

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 11:05:00 pm »
Hi! you can try sa Pasig...www.lincolnshire-preschool.com they are Progressive. Free ang assesment nila. Nice place and neat. Cute ng uniform sa girls. The teachers are very accomodating. Hope you can choose lapit na pasukan..good luck!

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 02:07:03 pm »
what is a progressive school?

You can find the answer here:  http://teachertinasblog.wordpress.com/

domestic diva

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 08:46:08 am »
I just found out Poveda is a progressive school.
Hail to St. Joseph of the Holy Cloak!

razzlered

• Probationary
Suggestions on Progressive Schools
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 03:14:46 pm »
Hi GT moms, need your help.  We are looking for a progressive school in QC/Ortigas area for my daughter.  We prefer sana yung may pre-school to highschool para hindi na palipat lipat.  We are considering Poveda kaso mas gusto sana namin kung coed and progressive curriculum din.  TIA!

tickle

• GirlTalker
Re: Suggestions on Progressive Schools
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 07:21:50 am »
Hello,

I recommend Headway School for Giftedness.  It's located near Claret School in qc, inside UP Village. 

PM me na lang for any questions or more info.

Good luck!

oktoberfest22

• Aggrieved.
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 10:45:25 am »
My child goes to the Raya School in Scout area, a progressive school that gives emphasis to reading, the sciences, and national identity. It's the school of Adarna House (adarna publishing company). I'm very satisfied with the school and the results. Better call them up at 9229254 or 9288189 if interested kasi by January magi-screen na sila ng new applicants and alam ko may waiting list because they only accept a limited number of students.

Other progressive schools in QC with good reviews are The Learning Tree (Cubao and Sikatuna Village) and Community of Learners (New Manila).

Good luck!

Be careful. Big Brother is watching...

pinkcoyote

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 10:13:22 am »
^hi, okay ba ang grade school sa Raya? nag-ocular kasi kami dun when i was scouting for preschool..pero for some reasons (like masyadong madaming bata at may grade school which could get rowdy-safety reasons), we didnt choose raya..but now that im looking for grade schools na..im also considering raya, ang lapit lang samin e.

the learning tree and Community of Learners mga bagong school ba yan? ok kaya? thanks

blackberryqueen

• GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 02:19:08 pm »
Hi mga sis! These progressive schools you mentioned, do they have secondary/HS level? Kasi I read somewhere, na if your child starts in a progressive-learning method, mahihirapan sya to shift into traditional method pagdating ng HS. So better put her into one method all through out, is that right?

Another question will be, how about pag college na? Hindi rin ba mahihirapan mag-cope ang student who came from a progressive school?

Please enlighten naman, anyone who's in the know..  :)
When God closes a door, He opens a window.. and knocks down the wall :)

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 03:50:58 pm »
I think that if a child has developed the proper study habits and discipline during his/her formative years (grade school), there should not be any problem in high school, whether ang shift is from progressive/non-traditional to traditional or vice versa.  Siempre, may konting adjustment sa environment, mode of instruction, homework, etc.  But let us not fall into the trap of underestimating our children.  Children are more resilient and flexible than we give them credit.

It would also help to talk to your child's teachers before making the change.  Most important, seek the opinion of your child. 

blackberryqueen

• GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 04:33:51 pm »
Thanks, sis marose. That somehow eliminates the concern about adjustment upon shifting from one method to another. So I should focus more on developing my child's study habits and discipline regardless of the teaching method. 

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 04:44:56 pm »
^ That is my opinion based on my experience.  I studied in a traditional Catholic school from kinder to high school.  We were taught in a "tutok" manner ng mga teachers.  But my mom taught me early on to be self-reliant and independent.  I did my homework and projects mostly by myself.  I only resorted to tutors kapag may exams in subjects I find difficult like algebra, physics and chemistry.  For college, I went to UP where the ability to self-study is a must.  The professor will teach the fundamentals but will not give you a blow-by-blow account.  Some even just hand out the syllabus and reading list and bahala ka na how to study.  But since I have developed good study habits and discipline in grade school, I was able to adjust.   In addition, you have to be street smart if you want to survive in UP.  That is something na hindi natuturo ng teacher pero kailangan i-train ng magulang sa anak.

My cousin, on the other hand, went to traditional Catholic schools too from kinder to high school.  Sanay siya sa tutors since well-off ang family niya.  Na-overwhelm siya sa academic freedom sa UP.  I can say that academically, he is miles ahead of me pero since sanay sa spoon feeding, medyo kulang sa street smarts.  Hindi maganda ang naging performance niya sa freshman year niya sa UP kaya bumalik siya sa Ateneo where he managed to get into the business management honors program.  Up to now, may tutor pa rin siya to help him manage his school work. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 04:48:03 pm by marose17 »

blackberryqueen

• GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 05:58:46 pm »
Wow that speaks a lot about how important developing study habits is at the early stages, kasi dala-dala ng bata hanggang pag-college nya. I get your point about the effect of constant tutoring, na nagiging dependent sya sa ganung style of acquiring knowledge. Of course I would prefer my child to be independent para wala syang ma-encounter na difficulty in taking on challenges later on in life. Much as we want to be always there for our child, we know it's impossible and it's not healthy din.

So do you allot a specific time for your child to study everyday? I know traditional schools give a lot of assignments, so that takes up most of the kid's study time. So what about advanced studying, where does it fit in? Effective pa rin ba yung no TV's at all during weekdays?

oktoberfest22

• Aggrieved.
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 08:06:40 pm »
@ marose17
I totally agree with you. Catholic school din ako from Kinder until High school and went to college at UP. The funny thing is, I have friends from Philippine Science HS na andaming bagsak na subjects pagdating sa UP even though they should've been breezing through the basic subjects kasi advanced ang lessons nila sa Pisay. Their reason for flunking is mostly poor class attendance. So talagang nasa tao yung study habits, not so much kung saan nag-aral ng high school.

@pinkcoyote - among the pioneers of progressive schooling sa pinas ang Learning Tree and Community of Learners. Both of them may high school department. Ok na ok sa daughter ko ang Raya school although they don't have a high school department pa kasi ang pioneer batch ay nasa Grade 5 pa lang ngayon. Singapore method ang math nila, which started last June.

@blackberryqueen- progressive schools have a much more relaxed learning environment than trad schools, meaning hindi sila masyado sa homework and rote learning exercises or memorization. The focus is more on instilling a love of learning among kids. One of my officemates (na single, no kids pa) remarked that kids from progressive schools daw na kilala nya tend to think out of the box. Which I think could be attributed to the method...progressive schools encourage creative thinking and build confidence among kids. And when they do assessment of the child, individualized and holistic, meaning hindi lang yung academic performance ang ina-assess but also how the child solves problems and his/her social development.

Be careful. Big Brother is watching...

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 10:19:37 pm »
@blackberryqueen, my children are still in preschool so they don't have homework and formal study time.  They do have time for drawing (mostly doodles and shapes as of now), coloring, painting, playing with play dough, reading and outdoor play after school.

What I do is to make going to school a regular thing.  Hindi porque nasa preschool pa lang sila they can be absent when they want to or for flimsy reasons.  My husband and I make it a point to explain to them that going to school is important.

bingski

• proud momma ni Aidan
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 08:04:45 am »
You can check out Pail and Shovel Integrated School.  http://www.pailandshovel.com.ph/

My son goes to this school and they already have a full grade school program. Can't say enough praises to this school as me and my husband are so happy, and most especially my son.

team_charlie

• GirlTalker
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 02:58:26 pm »
Around how much and tuition for preschool sa Community of Learners and The Learning Tree? TIA!

bluegreen717

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 03:52:57 pm »
Here's a nice blog you might want to check out:

http://teachertinasblog.wordpress.com/

And COLF's website: http://www.colf.bayandsl.ph/

I enrolled my daughter in Community of Learners Foundation in the middle of the schoolyear, after the bullying in her previous school (a supposedly prestigious traditional, Catholic, all-girls' school run by nuns) got exceptionally bad.

She had a lot to adjust to, coming from an exclusive all-girls' Catholic school to a progressive co-ed secular institution. But she was happy. And learning. Their methods instill a love for learning and understanding by relating the subjects to something that the child can or has experienced. So no rote memorization and drills. Just pure learning.

And the teachers are amazing. I think almost all of them are from UP. I have yet to meet a COLF teacher I didn't like. In her old school, almost all the teachers I spoke to spoke English very badly. As in bulok. And then there was this major tiff I had with the math teacher who marked my daughter's multiplication equations wrong because they weren't in the proper order. (A blatant disregard for the commutative property of multiplication. I had three math professors from Ateneo and UP to back me up against the school's math department.) And to think that was my alma mater.

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close