Author Topic: What have we learned from the recent floodings?  (Read 41915 times)

ettevyvi

• chic. quirky. hot.
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • sweet upfront, deadly inside.
Re: What have we learned from the recent floodings?
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2009, 12:24:47 am »
We were not that affected, I mean in my place but our city is. I've come to realize that:

GLOBAL WARMING is a serious business so I would do everything to prevent it, like removing the plugs of the appliances when not in use.

Throw my garbage properly (read:SORTING)

Be prepared in any signal of typhoon, be it 1 2 or 3. Even simple rains sometimes bring cats and dogs.

If I will own a house someday, I'll make sure it's not in Manila.:p And, may second floor. Plus not near bays rivers wherever and there's good flood control.

Stock up on foods, emergency lights, life vests.

PRAY. Nothing beats prayer talaga.
SIMPLE yet COMPLICATED.

wookies

• GirlTalker
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2009, 04:01:46 pm »
thank God wala naman nangyari sa amin at di kami inabot ng baha. dapat talaga ready tayo palagi.

lessons learned:
- magstock ng food and water
- have flashlights, candles, rechargeable lamp, battery-operated radio
- have a waterproof bag na pwede ilagay ang mga gamit na kakailanganin like clothes, medicines, first aid kit, important documents para may mangyari man, dadamputin na lang yong bag.
- buy a salbabida and life vest jackets para sigurado
- have extra batteries for cellphones
- have a 2nd floor and roof top na comfortable pa din sa family para may mangyari man, pwede pa din magstay sa house at safe pa din.
Smile! It will make you look better. Pray, it will keep you strong. Love, it will make you enjoy life.

~TiCkLeS~

• GirlTalker
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2009, 04:16:51 pm »
be prepared, be cautious, think of safety first, be alert and aware of what's happening around you......most specially let's take care of our environment....
·×·°¯`·ŤịÇќŁẻŞÂ·Â´Â¯Â°Â·Ã—·™

ladyhushtilla

• ole dande esta el banyo!!!!!
  • Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2009, 06:53:38 pm »
lesson learned:
wag na magtapon nang basura kung saan saan.
patronize earth-friendly products.

tiggerlily

• Super GirlTalker
  • Whoa!
    • The Lazy Mama
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2009, 11:29:47 am »
i have emergency preparedness sa bahay. ang hindi ko naayos e yung mga pictures. kaya nabasa halos lahat. buti na lang nasave ang wedding album namin ni hubby.

elly free

• Probationary
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2009, 06:43:54 am »
Guys, what have you learned from the recent floodings?  on a individual level. yung tipong,

example A - I'll buy a small generator
example B - I'll build and elevated platform on my huge backyard so i can put my car there the next time it rains.
example C - I'll relocate to a place na mataas.
example D - I'll will put 2 big water tanks kasi  nawalan kami ng water.

and please don't put,

"oh we need to take care of the trees."
"we need to do garbage segregation"
"kasi its climate change/global warming"
"throw garbage correctly

I know the above things are true but it will take decades to take effect considering our system.

I'm looking for real, practical answers that we can apply should something happen again, knock on wood. we all know that our government is poor and that we have no real drainage/sewer/flood system.

thanks in advance.  ;D

it is funny and somehow strange that you discarded the answers people and i should be reminded of every time catastrophe happens. the disasters are a living symbols that there's something putrid in the system. and you want to ignore them?
it doesn't matter if you prefer to live in a two-or three-storey house, or you have a generator or a water tank, these things can easily be destroyed. what you want are temporary answers that lead to nowhere. they won't hold for decades. it is like you are saying "andyan na so pabayaan na lang," right?

so what did we learn? people should stop being greedy, nothing can beat if we know how to prepare, be a responsible person.

jhbsnoopy

• GirlTalker
    • The M!Shop
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2009, 08:57:01 pm »
learn how to take care of our enviroment,start with the proper disposal of your waste/garbage even just a simple candy wrapper.

Sookie

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2009, 07:20:02 pm »
We should take a good care of our sanitary and drainage system.

rnd0910

• GirlTalker
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2009, 07:59:17 pm »
Aside from we should be prepared to this kind of situation;

I have learned that nothing is permanent in this world. That anytime, anything can happen. And everything that we have will not be there in a snap.

Life is more important than any material things. What matters most is that we are still alive and together.

rheagirl

• Senior GirlTalker
  • happily married
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2009, 11:41:39 pm »
na dapat wag na talaga magtapon ng mga basura sa mga ilog or drainage everysingle one of us must be very responsible for this hindi lang ang government.

qt_ben17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2009, 03:08:54 pm »
it is funny and somehow strange that you discarded the answers people and i should be reminded of every time catastrophe happens. the disasters are a living symbols that there's something putrid in the system. and you want to ignore them?
it doesn't matter if you prefer to live in a two-or three-storey house, or you have a generator or a water tank, these things can easily be destroyed. what you want are temporary answers that lead to nowhere. they won't hold for decades. it is like you are saying "andyan na so pabayaan na lang," right?

so what did we learn? people should stop being greedy, nothing can beat if we know how to prepare, be a responsible person.

i agree with you sis. small things do count, as they say.

even if we build 2,5 or 10-storey buildings  or have houses on high stilts, who knows how fierce the nature can be ? what we have for now is truly a sign of our times of what we'll be in the future.

for  me, my contribution would be is the proper disposal of garbage. di na ko nagtatapon ng mga candy wrappers/bottled water sa kalye. nilalagay ko na siya sa bag ko and isasama ko siya sa basura namin sa bahay.

eto na naman sila, "mas better" , "pinaka the best"

choleb

• GirlTalker
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2009, 02:38:04 pm »
Be always prepared...
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  - Mark Twain

kettlekorn28

• a very happy wife & mom and a
  • Junior GirlTalker
What have we learned from the recent floodings?
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2009, 03:08:19 pm »
Always be prepared. Dapat laging may stock na food, water at medicine. May mga small luggages din kami na may clothes at important documents para in case may flood at mag-evacuate kami, di kami magpanick sa paghagilap ng mga dapat dalhin. Repair lahat ng dapat i-repair sa bahay like bubong at alulod.
God has given us the greatest gift of all. And that is you, Baby Matthew! :)

justbeingme

• GirlTalker
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2009, 05:39:49 pm »
Do not stock unnecessary stuff.  Learn to let go of not so important things so they don't end up floating during the flood.  Some oldies kasi nanghihinayang magtapon, magpamigay or magdonate ng gamit so you end up having too much of one thing at home.  I mean how many tupperwares or garapons or kalderos does one family need di ba.  My friend's family had a hard time moving around the house during the flood because dami nila gamit na nagflofloat e tatlo lang naman sila sa bahay.  Then clean-up after the flood took longer than necessary of course sa dami ng gamit.
Am guilty of having too many clothes even clothes which are 10yrs old na.  I figured if I'm not using them for several yrs na chances are I will never be using them again so might as well give them away. Kung nabasa sya nung flood lalong walang nakinabang sa clothes.

simplysweet

• Simply sophisticated.
    • Musings
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2009, 04:25:41 pm »
Take/buy stuff that's important. Be prepared for whatever happens, good or bad. Be disciplined enough to throw trash away properly (sad, I still see this a lot...many people don't think of the long-term effect). Don't wait for something bad to happen before you act.

And if you can, help out others by sharing your blessings. What is unnecessary to you may be treasure to another.

And one realization: most of the people who needed help during the floods were the same people who needed help even before Ondoy/Pepeng. Sad we only realize the situation afterward, and not before.
"There is more to life than increasing its speed." - Ghandi

majal

• GirlTalker
  • try to cheer someone else to feel better
    • party fixers
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2009, 10:39:51 pm »
Pagpapakumbaba
Respect for nature
Learn how to swim

crismarq

• GirlTalker
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2009, 09:16:36 am »
justbeingme:  what you said is so true.  ganyan din nangyari sa amin.  daming tinapon na gamit.  now i find it absurd na pati mga plastic container ng ice cream atbp eh kinokolekta ko.  ngayon ang mga kaplastikan eh derecho na sa lalagyan na recycleable.  pag marami rami na sila eh nilalabas ko na para makolekta ng basurero.  same with the clothes.  my teenage daughter daming nailabas na damit from her closet.  ido donate na namin mga extra clothes.  at least now maluwang na closet nya  :)

beverlyjane

• Probationary
  • its the real me
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2009, 10:49:30 am »
dapat siguro konti lang [textspeak!] gamit sa 1st floor para kung sakali pumasok ulit sa amin [textspeak!] baha konti na lang [textspeak!] gamit na kailangan ipanik  ::)

ayee1927

• GirlTalker
  • hello!!!
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2009, 10:30:58 am »
try to do simple things na may i-cocontribute sa environment....ex. pag bumili ka ng 1 or 2 items lang sa convenience store e pwede wag mo ng iplastic p. ilagay mo na lang sa bag.

be ready & don't panic...kailangan may presence of mind lagi.

dapat matuto na mag-swim, and lastly........

never lose trust in God Because may dahilan ang lahat!

\\\"Count your days by sunrise, not sunset; count your life with laughter, not tears; & your age by friends, not by years.\\\"

tiggerlily

• Super GirlTalker
  • Whoa!
    • The Lazy Mama
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2009, 03:14:00 am »
express your love to your family everyday. hug and kiss them and say you love them as much as you can. life is short. there can never be too much hugging or kissing or saying i love you's in a lifetime.

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close