Author Topic: What have we learned from the recent floodings?  (Read 42357 times)

freeswan

• I am the new superhero!
  • Super GirlTalker
  • I am a beautiful swan
    • Swan Princess
Re: What have we learned from the recent floodings?
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 11:19:05 pm »
sa totoo lang, this recent incident was really an eye opener for me and my fiance. we're getting married this December and we are at this point of house hunting na. Our first option is in Montalban, Rizal then Antipolo. Recently, fiance transferred to his new job and his office is in Taguig, along Kalayaan Ave lang so we thought of getting a place in Pasig area or somewhere nearby. So we're down with PAsig, Marikina and Antipolo.

Then, this happened. Diyos ko, naisip ko yung mga tao, this is their first time to experience this. Everyone was sooo not prepared.

Ito natutunan ko:

In buying our house, I will have to check yung area niya (elevated or not), if it's near a body of water, drainage system, subdivision has water tanks, etc..

Will provide one life jacket for each member in the family. If kaya ng budget, malaking salbabida.

Always charge the flashlights. Nagbrownout kasi sa amin d pala nakacharge yung flashlight namin so I ended up using the flashlight from my pen.
I am happy. I am blessed. I feel loved. I am in love.

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 11:49:18 pm »
What did I learn, Akthung?
Eh may pagka obsessive nga ako di ba with systems for preparedness and all... so, the new things I learned from this disaster on us now are as follows:

1st:  To take weather forecasts seriously, always (CNN reports, not PagAsa.. sorry pero ganoon eh).

2nd:  In the event of heavy rains (I generally keep my kids home and work from home, malaki phobia ko sa dirty flood waters kasi) --  recall that boink!  this is MManila!  so.. close the office early and make the employees leave early (or maintain just a hostage skeleton staff).

3rd:  If you have an open  basement garage, even if you have comfortably safe elevations + a permanent pump in place with its own genset.... have a submersible pump on standby.   
Coz I had a few tense hours watching the street at the side of the house disappear underwater.   
What if my elevation is breached?  What if my permanent pump is not enough? 
I was convinced the only thing between an open  basement garage and a 2nd swimming pool is a submersible pump.  (My husband had 1 brought over within the first hour of heavy rains, so I kept my mouth shut about the inconvenience of basements in MManila). 

My advice:  Don't do basements in MManila. Don't even consider it if you want to sleep peacefully through a storm.)

My fears of a repeat performance of  this disaster -- soon and often -- is not allayed by statements like:  "The last time this happened was 20/40/whatever years ago."  "This is a rare occurrence..."   

What I see is all that MUD on tv. It will cake and harden, and further constrict sewers, water exit paths/lines ....

I am preparing for the next storm coming our way soon,  per CNN,  by not letting anybody relocate that submersible pump. 
"Barilin kaya kita kung ilipat mo yan?"    Our QC warehouseman decided it was not yet the right time this AM  to retrieve it from our house.         

majal

• GirlTalker
  • try to cheer someone else to feel better
    • party fixers
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 11:52:33 pm »
dapat may disaster plan sa house at dapat may disater drill na kasama lahat ng member ng household. Dapat din may disaster kit ang bawat house consisting of batteries, flashlight, canned goods (syempre dapat may can openner), medicines, water, thermal suits

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 11:58:20 pm »
QT_BEN17:  Consider buying a jetski.

As for WATER COLLECTION... mas matipid if you have a cistern (make sure it is airtight though; and constructed well) -- water seeks its own level.. even if the pumping stations do not work kasi brown-out, you will most likely continue to have water flowing into that cistern.  (ganyan sa amin)   

You use less koryente (less expense) if you have a cistern combined with a pump that pushes water up to your house (instead of a pump that must always work to push water up to an elevated storage tank).  Less expense too if you set it up in such a way that some parts of your house are fed straight from the cistern, no need to use a pump.
Mag brown out man ..even if you have no genset,  you will still have water in some parts of your house.

But my advice is, get a genset and locate it higher up than usual.

sugar n spice

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 01:10:27 am »
I'll have my house built sa mataas na lugar. Sayang yung nabili kong lot sa cainta. Pero kung aabutin ng baha ang first floor ng bahay, trabahong malupit yon, marami pang masisirang gamit. Saka syempre yung safety ng family ko should come first

Papalagay ako ng water pump kasi hanggang ngayon wala pa rin kaming tubig.

I've read solar panel works even if it's cloudy or rainy, you just need to have a battery station para magkapag-store ka ng large amount of energy while the sun is up. Though I'm wondering of its durability against the storm.

Mag-stock ng food.

I'll check first kung gano na kalalim ang baha bago umuwi or umalis ng bahay. If I need to stay sa office, or if my kids need to stay at home kahit i-announce pa na may pasok, they'll stay at home, I'll stay in the office hanggang humupa ang baha. Na-stranded ako sa junction and had to spend the night sa kalsada ng walang food, walang water kundi baha. Kung meron mang food nagkakaubusan. Hay nakakatrauma.

If love is the answer, could you please rephrase the question?

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 06:12:31 am »
@ aquacharly

sis pareho tayo sa #1 & #2

noon, i'd always surf the net for satellite pictures. specially nung nagsimula nang magbaha sa katipunan ave.

I relocated sa "katipunan area" noong 1993. its about 5 minutes drive from where i live and all i can say is, since the time na tinanggal nila yung mga puno doon at yung island (the one that divides katipunan ave), at yung mga puno at island that separates katipunan ave and its service road. ayun, nagbabaha na! 

tapos, ever since nagkaroon ng mga U-turn (bayani) lalong nagkakatraffic tuwing may ulan.

eto ang isang MALAKING negative effect ng mga Bayani U-turns, lalo na pag may kalamidad
-----basta merong hindi magbigay or may nagstuck up na yung paglilikuan mo, yari ka na barado ka na!

i have to admit that in some situations, nakakatulong ang mga Bayani U-turns. but katipunan wise, tuwing nagbabaha, it just makes things worse. mas maganda pa noong walang mga u-turn.

So...

if it rains for 3-4 hours straight, i usually call it a day. I'd have my secretary call all my customers. pag 2 hours straight na umuulan, i would usually send a scout on a bike or motor, to check katipunan avenue.

my employees kasi need to pass through katipunan when going home.

the last time nagbaha sa katipunan (before Undoy) it took 14 hours for my neighbor to cross it. (from UP to Katipunan Extension, pagkababa ng tulay)

Yung house namin sa Cainta is a very high two floor house. Nagbaha doon noong early 80s. as in super grabeng lalim. malapit kami sa junction. we were one of the few houses noon na dalawa ang floors.

ang masasabi ko lang eh, naging refugee center kami.
and my mom was cooking food all day long for the next few days.

so sa mga may balak mag 2nd or 3rd floor, you may want to look at that angle. you will have to take into consideration having other people at your home.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 06:20:22 am by akthung »
I'm a baby Arhat. An Arhat has a well developed intuition, advanced mental powers, highly refined emotions and a strong desire to contribute personally to the uplifting of humanity.

redmomma

• Stick to your man! :)
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 06:53:31 am »
dapat lagi may stock na ready to cook foods.. candles, flashlight.. atleast have one emergency bag always prepared lagyan mo na damit.. i think these were one of the tips showed in the morning shows have one bag always prepared with all the necessary things inside like a pair of clothing, medical kit, easy cook foods, and the like..
choose your words wisely.. once it is said, you cannot take it back..

yaris

• sweet dream or a beautiful nightmare
  • GirlTalker
  • she wolf in disguise
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 08:01:25 am »
Dapat maging nice ka sa lahat. Kahit galit na galit ka na gusto mo na silang patayin dapat cool ka lang and wag mong ipahalata kasi di mo alam kung kelan mo kelangan tulong nila. Di ba may saying na..

sometimes the people you expect to kick you
when you're down, will be the ones to help you get back up

Nabasa ko lang yan sa bulletin post ng friend ko pero cool talaga!

With that quote, baka isipin ng iba na okay lang magalit kasi patatawarin ka rin naman pero iba pa rin pag talagang .. basta mahirap i-explain. Yun na yun! :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:05:22 am by yaris »
Listen, if the mayor wants to have a debate about education in this city, I got three words: bring it on.

beautifuldreamer

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 09:05:41 am »
huwag puros pag papaganda oh pagpapa metro guapo ang atupagin....bigyan din pansin ang dadaluyan ng tubig pag umulan.....

FRAGRANCE always stays in the HAND that GIVES the rose....

babywaby

• hottie mommy
  • Senior GirlTalker
    • Shattered
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 09:58:21 am »
-have at least an inflatable boat ready when theres typhoon
-have flashlights and candles
-have extra battery packs for cellphones
-have first aid kit loaded
-have a bag loaded with clothes & medicine ready anytime of emergency

aoshi_01

• Fabulously Plus-Sized
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2009, 12:04:33 pm »
thank god hindi naman kami inabot ng baha (and for the first time, I appreciated the fact that my dad decided to establish our home in Antipolo...although nakakatakot rin kasi wala ngang baha, landslide naman ang kalaban mo :) ).

what i learned from this storm is:

- always CHECK your flashlights (nung nawalan ng kuryente I was in the middle of taking a bath and nung nahanap ko ang flashlight ko, wala namang battery, ngek ngek)

- have spare matches and candles at home

- have spare cellphone batteries

- make sure that all the important documents are placed in one of those document organizers para just in case you need to flee your home, yun agad ang damputin

Courtesy is not expensive & can pay big dividends.

I Blog
I Tumbl
I Tweet

antipatica_02

• "Keep your friends close, your enemies even closer
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2009, 01:26:35 pm »
dapat me 2nd floor or third floor ang bahay..
Ready lagi lalo na pag me palapit na typhon   :)

blackgreen

• Super GirlTalker
  • STAY if you're HAPPY, LEAVE if you're NOT.
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2009, 01:53:15 pm »
dapat hindi rug ang gamit sa sahig. nung pinasok ng tubig baha ang bahay namin, after magsubside ng baha binaklas lahat ng rug sa sala

dapat lahat ng alaga naming aso merong kulungan or kahit elevated na mahihigaan, kasi nung bumaha sa amin lahat ng tao nasa 2nd floor, pero yun isa naming aso na walang kulungan eh nakatayo lang dun sa may sahig, pinaupo na lang siya sa monoblock
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life - Confucius

sofiacutie

• Sofia --> Cute =D
    • GIRL PINOYSLIFE
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 06:32:43 pm »
kapag bumabagyo, iexpect ang baha sa manila, at wag ng pumunta sa lugar na yun, kundi maglalakad ka 4hours sa ulan!
SIGNATURE REMOVED

jookeulae

• Junior GirlTalker
  • so many men... so little time... c")
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2009, 06:45:51 pm »
mas magiging mabait na ako sa mga kapitbahay namin, kasi sila din ang tutulong sayo pag kailangan nang magbuhat ng gamit dahil sa baha.

-happycamper-

• GirlTalker
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2009, 08:19:03 pm »
Buy a house that is not prone to floods/flush-floods.
Build an elavated house (mga at least 3-4 steps pa before sa actual entrance ng house)
Dapat may second or Third floor ang bahay
Have a complete emergency kit.
Have falsh light or candle na accessible
Important Documents dapat nasa waterproof na lalagyan.
Family Photos dapat nasa mataas na lugar.

Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are.

maddie_girl

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2009, 08:44:42 pm »
have a disaster plan ready. kung saan magevacuate kung kailangan. what to do in case of fire, flood, strong winds etc. dapat may plan for every worst case scenario. who is responsible for what. mga ganun.
"nagkaron ako ng confident" - mali ang idiot board or hindi yung board ang idiot?

twelvth_goddess

• A certified ZOE-holic and a true blue
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2009, 03:52:30 am »
One thing that my neighbors and other people did was underestimate the rain.

We've been in our village for many years already but our neighbors have been there long before us and they attested to the fact that the flood had never risen higher than how it usually was. So, in the midst of the rain, they just left their things where it were. My mom naman is very paranoid and she said that the water would surely rise so we started moving our things up on the second floor. By 1pm, the first floor of our house was submerged in water.

I know a lot of us were taken by surprise and we could only do so much. But im very thankful that we didnt underestimate the rain dahil we were able to save almost all the we needed (except for some cabinets and our car :( )

Like what they say, it's good to be paranoid sometimes, at least you're on the safe side.
Whatever I want, I get. If I can't, I don't stop TRYING.

ebosh

• GirlTalker
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2009, 04:18:04 am »
What I learned is that kahit mayaman or mahirap it doesn't mean you're always safe and should not be alarmed by whatever happens to your surroundings. Each one of us should make a move to always secure that we are doing the right thing not only to our fellowmen but also to the environment.
LOVE is not a feeling, it's a DECISION..

twelvth_goddess

• A certified ZOE-holic and a true blue
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2009, 04:23:22 am »
^^correct..and though nobody wanted this to happen naman, proper garbage disposal is really very important cus this is a major contributor of flood.
Whatever I want, I get. If I can't, I don't stop TRYING.

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close