watch now

Author Topic: delayed talker?..  (Read 243025 times)

jenny_2284

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2010, 09:12:02 pm »
^i had my son son hearing test in specialist sa Manila this January [textspeak!]. So far ok naman. Hirap nga makakuha [textspeak!] Ng appt. Good thing my son got easily a slot in early intervention playgroup. Now I'm going to follow up na [textspeak!] status waiting sa speech therapyACT.

May mga free playgroup din along our suburb. I always make sure I bring my son to socialize with other kids. This will help him to develop his speech.

mom.of.inchikoy

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2010, 06:15:43 pm »
MGa sis, pwede nyo share yung procedue of the hearing test? tia

marose17

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2010, 08:36:01 am »
^ Kim, may device na ginagamit ang doctor (pedia-otolaryngologist) that will register the sound waves from the ear.  May ipapakinig na sounds sa ear ng baby, then yung sound waves mag-ba-bounce off sa device.  Pag walang nag-register na sound waves, may problema so may further tests pa yatang gagawin. Parang ganoon ang intindi ko.  SOP kasi ito for preemies. 

Our doctor before was Dr. Rina Reyes-Quintos of TMC and St. Luke's.

lalei

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2010, 11:53:13 am »
Sa anak ko apart from the device for the ears to check kung may fluid sa ears at kung may ear infection, may test na ginawa ang audiologist thru a game. He was asked to build a little tower. While he's playing randomly i-pa-play iyong sound at lalabas ang Bananas in Pyjamas don sa machine nila. Different levels ng sound from very soft to a little loud, different decibels ang ginagamit.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:39:43 am by lalei »

kikskate

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2010, 04:41:12 pm »
hi po.. just want to ask help also. My son just turned 4 and he barely talks. mas nakakausap pa namin yung younger sister nya.  im planning on taking him to a devped this summer kasi dun lang kami nakakuha ng slot. sobrang kulit din kasi nya tapos sobrang stubborn pa.

marose17

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2010, 05:28:02 pm »
^ Does your son watch tv a lot?  It could be a contributing factor kasi to delayed speech development.

lexi_girl

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2010, 06:04:17 pm »
^marose17, ang galing mo naman di mo kagad na expose your children to tv! i also believe na may effect ang tv sa brain development nila. hirap nga lang tanggalin ang tv lalo na part na siya ng lifestyle natin.

Cheesecak3

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2010, 06:51:42 pm »
after almost 2 weeks of no TV for my son, finally nagsasalita na sya ng pakonti konti. nakakatuwa lang na effective pala talaga ang No TV for him. Ngayon nagbabasa na sya ng books although minsan tinitingnan lang nya ang pictures at minsan he surprise us kasi may new word syang sinasabi. Nakakatouch talaga. Sana nga tuloy tuloy na to. Thanks for all your inputs. I learn a lot.

kikskate

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2010, 11:33:16 pm »
yup they watch a lot but not nickelodeon or cartoon network. we let them watch brainy baby cds, movies for kids, some diego series and wonder pets. I thought makaktulong yun kasi ginagaya nya yung dialog yun nga lang di nya maiapply sa everyday na pakikicommunicate nya.  letting them watch is a pro for us kasi nakita namin dun nagstart sya magadopt ng basic language yun nga lang parang ndi nadedevelop :-(

marose17

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #149 on: April 01, 2010, 11:30:48 am »
@kikskate:  Tv is a passive medium, walang interaction and that's why it doesn't help promote language development.  It may also contribute to short attention span in school later.  I suggest limit tv time to 2 hours a day.  The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children below 2 years old should not watch or be exposed to tv at all.  There have also been many studies linking tv to delayed speech, autism, ADHD, etc.  Just search sa internet and you'll find several articles on this.  My kids' developmental pedia also confirmed the above findings linking tv to delayed speech.

The best way pa rin is to talk to your children constantly.  Tv should never be used as a substitute for real, honest-to-goodness conversation with your kids.

Books also help.  I exposed my children to books as soon as they were born (I read to them).  Picture books helped a lot.   When I'd point to them a picture of a dog and say dog, that registers in their brain and soon enough, they could already identify that the picture in the book is a dog.

@lexi_girl, we do not have a tv lifestyle kasi.  My husband and I only watch tv in the evening, kapag tulog na ang mga kids.  Walang tv sa room ng kids ko, but there are plenty of books and toys to keep them occupied.

lilsaintsm0m

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2010, 03:57:29 pm »
Stop babytalks. Talk to your child the same way you talk to any member of the family. My son started talking when he was 1 1/2 sobrang daldal and parang matanda. Ngworry nga ko before dahil kami lang dalawa everyday sa bahay eh. Maraming cases na ganun kasi. Hearing defects can also affect speech delay. If he/she does not respond to even name calling you should have him checked..

Mai

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #151 on: May 05, 2010, 07:28:38 am »
marose: Ganyan din lifestyle namin, no TV hangga't gising ang kids! when they sleep at 8pm saka lang kami makakanood hehe. Sa baby girl ko, NO TV when she was 1.4 year old and below, now at 1.5yo, i let her watch like a 30minute show twice a day, she has an older bro kase who is 5yo kaya nabubuksan ko pa din ang TV, but she's not intested in watching TV, Nakukuha lang attention nya when she hears cartoon jingles (mickey mouse clubhouse), she's more interested in browsing books, pero impatient pa din and easily loses interest in any toys/activities/ she's doing.

She is 1.5yo and the meaningful words nya super konti like Daddy, Ahia, dede pa lang. I consider her a delay talker (na pwedeng namana daw sa akin bec i started talking at 2yo), but her receptive learning is working fine, ang dami nya nang alam receptively like things at home, body parts, but expressive, halos wala. I am religiously teaching her naman, but i feel that she's not ready,like if i say "DOG", she would say "BA".

I am always checking din name calling every now and then. She has a brother with Autism, kaya I am really trying to be aware and knowledgeable of developmental milestones.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:26:39 am by Mai »

kawaiimom

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2010, 04:13:07 pm »
I think it's ok to let your child watch tv. BUt atleast be there para may kainteraction sya.

merryjazz

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2010, 02:44:37 pm »
delayed din ang pagsasalita ng baby ko dati. imagine, 2 y.o na sya nung makasalita sya ng dad and mom... pero we didn't worry during that time kasi nga attentive naman sya and madaling matuto. then nung mag 3 y.o na sya, ayun nagtuloy-tuloy na ang progress nya sa pagsasalita :) ngayon, super daldal at honor pupil pa :)

rianne_mallows

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2010, 03:15:27 pm »
dito sa amin ang pamahiin pakainin ng puke ng baboy para magsalita agad.. o kaya kung utal magsabila pakainin nun para daw dumiretso ang salita ;D

mamuconnie

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2010, 10:35:30 am »
Hi! I'm new in this thread. I'm interested in the topic bec I also have kids. Gusto ko rin malaman kung at par ba ang pagsasalita nila. I think your inputs help a lot to guide us moms.

Hi Marose, I'm very interested in you comment about exposing the kids to TV. Ako din [textspeak!] I let my kids watch TV. I hope they develop really well.

Siguro i-lessen ko na rin. What's hard is I go to work and my kids are left with the yaya. I hope yaya is truly not lazy and just let my kids watch tv all the time.

My eldest son had a classmate na at age 3, di pa masyado nagsasalita. I think they are also in school because their Developmental Pedia suggested na i-expose sa school, nakakatulong daw sa pag-develop ng language building.

Sabi naman nung mom ng bata... mukhang it helps nga to be exposed in school yung son nya. The kid is starting to talk more. I heard him myself in the school program. He even sang :) I was so happy for my fellow mom.

marose17

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2010, 12:25:24 pm »
^ Sis, most developmental pedias and speech therapists point to the tv as one of the things that could cause delay in speech development and attention span problems. Hindi kasi interactive ang tv.  It's better for kids to engage in free and structured (e.g. Gymboree) play, read books and talk with other kids and adults to promote speech and develop their vocabulary.

I am also a working mom but I strictly told the yaya to regulate tv time.  It also helps that there's no tv in the kids' room or in the common areas of our house.  I don't let my kids watch shows on cable, kahit na Disney Playhouse or Nick Jr. pa iyan.  Kasi nga, ayoko silang mag-develop ng tv habit like every 8 am, watch ng Diego or the like.  When I'm home, I sometimes let them watch Animal Planet or sports like soccer and basketball or American Idol (hehe) with me.  I pick out videos for them to watch.  I buy more books than videos though. :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:30:49 pm by marose17 »

ags

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2010, 12:36:53 am »
My child had to see a devped then an audiologist then a speech therapist.  Delayed speech talaga according to the devped and who used milestones similar to those posted by marose.  I brought my child to see the devped as early as 2 y/o.  It's so easy for everyone to say that some kids are normally delayed.  Or that their kid or pamangkin had everyone worried but is now talkative.  Well and good.  That does not mean that is the way for 100% of the children.  My belief is don't be in denial that something is wrong.  If the child is evaluated and turns out normal then we have peace of mind.  If not, at least evaluation and treatment can begin immediately.  Pag dating sa children, better safe than sorry, IMHO.

mom.of.inchikoy

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2010, 03:09:39 am »
^ sis, malaking factor talaga ang intervention noh.

sa eldest ko kasi, ahead ang motor skills nya and delayed ang speech nya. kahit na sinasabi ng iba na he's too young to be checked by devpedia or speech therapy, i just ignored them. kasi alam ko naman na ikabubuti 'to ng development nya.

after 1 yr of regular therapy (absent nya madalas due to his AR and Asthma), I can really say na malaki ang improvement nya.

Ngayong summer nga, naka leave yung isang speech nya, so nabawasan kami ng therapy. so nag summer class kami sa new school nya near our house, everyday class 1.5hr. nagugulat na lang kami kasi, eto yung mga ginagawa nya, in less than 4weeks time pa lang...
- kumakanta sya on his own (kahit bulol) with actions. around 5 songs. from start to finish.
- mas madaldal sya ngayon and nakikipag communicate na talaga thru words.
- lahat ng nakikita nya, sinasabi na nya and sya pa nag initiate makipag usap. from letters, numbers, pictures, billboards... anything...

regarding TV naman, we lessen the TV time. Pero hindi talaga namin maiiwasan 'to kasi Tv watcher kami ni hubby. ang importante talaga is with supervision and interactive. kung baga nag uusap pa din kayo ng anak nyo while watching tv. we sing - dance - draw at the same time...

^ Kim, may device na ginagamit ang doctor (pedia-otolaryngologist) that will register the sound waves from the ear.  May ipapakinig na sounds sa ear ng baby, then yung sound waves mag-ba-bounce off sa device.  Pag walang nag-register na sound waves, may problema so may further tests pa yatang gagawin. Parang ganoon ang intindi ko.  SOP kasi ito for preemies. 

Our doctor before was Dr. Rina Reyes-Quintos of TMC and St. Luke's.

Sa anak ko apart from the device for the ears to check kung may fluid sa ears at kung may ear infection, may test na ginawa ang audiologist thru a game. He was asked to build a little tower. While he's playing randomly i-pa-play iyong sound at lalabas ang Bananas in Pyjamas don sa machine nila. Different levels ng sound from very soft to a little loud, different decibels ang ginagamit.

sis marose and lalei, thanks for the input.  we were recommended to have this done last year kasi. MEdyo takot pa ako nun, now hindi nanaman. pero curious lang ako sa experience ng ibang moms and kid/s nila...

marose17

  • Guest
Re: delayed talker?..
« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2010, 08:28:31 am »
^ Sobrang takot ko rin that there was something wrong with Marty's hearing because he failed the routine hearing test at Madocs.  When I took him to Dr. Rina, who had a more high-tech device and mas matagal ang pag-examine niya than the med tech in Madocs, she said na his hearing was okay.  Baka raw may error sa first examination sa hospital or masyadong maliit pa ang ears ng baby para mag-register yung sound sa device na ginamit.  Ayun, napanatag naman ako.  Thankfully, we didn't have to go back to the pedia-oto kasi as he grew, we could tell that he could hear very well because he responds to different sounds.

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close