Author Topic: Relationships with Different Religion  (Read 77704 times)

simang

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #160 on: June 27, 2014, 02:15:04 am »
meron ba sa mga sisses natin na, one big family pero iba iba sila ng religion? kamusta ang relationships? the family dynamics?

Sa family namin, iba iba kami. My dad is protestant, my mom catholic. They got married with a protestant (methodist) ceremony. Kaming lahat ng magkakapatid, we were baptised Protestants. However, nung 10 years old ako, i had to transfer school and my parents chose a Catholic one so my parents decided na magpabinyag kame sa Catholic nung 10 ako just because we'll be enrolling sa Catholic school. same thing happened with my brother who was 13 then, and my sister who was 12. My eldest sister however, transferred to as science school so hindi sya nagpabinyag sa Catholic.

Sa side ng mom ko Catholic sila lahat magkakapatid, even my lolo and lola.

Sa side ng dad ko, iba iba. Most of his sisters are protestant sa same church where we were baptised, pero some of my uncles, nag convert to Catholic-- most of them nakapag asawa kase ng Catholic.

Wala kaming problems with dynamics kase as I noticed, none in our family both immediate and extended are devout with their religion, haha. We're living a very harmonious family life (we're pretty tight and clingy). Our differences in religion has never been a problem.

Mr.Punch

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #161 on: June 27, 2014, 04:30:09 am »
^ Ni-require kayo ng Catholic School na mag-convert?  Or was it ordered by your parents out of convenience?  Ang alam ko kasi hindi required kahit sa Catholic School ang conversion just to enroll.  It's even against the law to make conversion a requirement.

simang

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #162 on: June 27, 2014, 05:42:31 am »
^nope, not required by the school. it was my mom's idea lang.

wildorchid

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #163 on: July 05, 2014, 03:44:40 am »
Im an RC, he's an INC. Same with our respective families. Di nya ko pinipilit sumamba sa kanila pero ako yung nagkusang sumamba at magpadoktrina. Trip ko talaga magbible study at umattend ng worship service sa ibat ibang religion. Di namin napapag usapan ang religion unless may tanong ako na gusto ibring up. And yes, we compare our faith. I think im falling in love with his religion pero no pressure. :)

veecoust

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #164 on: July 05, 2014, 02:36:36 pm »
My dad is Adventist my mom is RC. 33 years f marriage.Wala masyadong indifferences,5 kami magkakapatid,nadedicate sa adventist. We all went to a Catholic school from kinder  until high school. Kaming apat,decided to be baptized to Adventist when we were between 10-15 of age. But the youngest never nagpabinyag,so technically wala siya religion,he is now 22.Minsan nagsisimba siya sa catholic.

charm0220

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #165 on: July 18, 2014, 04:39:49 am »
My fiancé and I have different religion. Being together for 5 years and now getting married soon… We realized that RESPECT is the most important thing in our relationship. madaming tao ang magtatanong bakit? madami din magjudge na it will not work? Sorry… but not all relationships (with the same religion) become successful. Dahil hindi naman nasa religion lang… religion does not and should not divide us.

I am happy that my family loves him and doesn't require him to convert… same with his family, they don't require me to convert. :)

"People take different roads seeking fulfilment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road does not mean they are lots." - Dalai Lama

remilicious

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #166 on: May 01, 2017, 09:08:02 pm »
I dated a Muslim guy and I'm Catholic. Surprisingly we learned so much about each other's religion and they were similarities apart from differences. We ended dating because I had to move away though.

Lately someone I'm dating is INC and he mentioned this to me that in case of marriage the non-INC has to convert but in some cases, if the person really loves the other person, he can change religion but his family can get mad at him if they don't accept it.

I thought my mom was fine since its only the early stages of dating but just recently we had a conversation with family friends who are a bit sagrado katoliko. The wife was adamant against it because she says it will be difficult and the beliefs are different. The husband was quite supportive, saying people can convert or even live together with kids having different religions.

When they left our house, my mom afterwards said she was looking at me to signal not to elaborate on how we met and all that especially the religion, but ironically she was the one who told them he wasn't Catholic. I didn't even mention that to them prior.

She even said it's something that bothered her unless he's willing to convert in the future. I initially thought it wasn't a big issue for her but after tonight, it seems otherwise, which saddens me because I see something in him in terms of being in a relationship and the fact, I haven't been in one for four years now. I've spent those years solely with work and family.

So now, I'm lost whether to continue this or to stop as early as now to avoid any conflicts with my mom in the future. Based from the past bfs I've had, I've learned that it's very important for me to choose someone she will get along with because it's a headache and it ruins my relationship with my mom if not. But there's a part in my heart saying I want to be happy and free to choose who I will love... :(

blackgreen

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2017, 08:46:14 am »
^if you are having doubts, wag mo na ituloy sis unless maresolve mo yun mga concerns mo. Start pa lang ng getting to know namin we agreed na hindi magiging issue ang religion.

I had a bf na INC and ilang months lang kami kasi from the start pa lang gusto niya mag convert ako sa religion nila. Sabi pa niya sa akin yun father niya sakristan but nagconvert para sa mother nila. Hindi ko talaga mag give up ng religion.

Mag 2 years na kaming kasal ni hubby. Walang nagconvert sa amin. Muslim siya, catholic ako. Usapan namin pag nagkaanak muslim ang mga bata.

lonely_dad

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2017, 08:57:02 am »
protestante ako dati, nagswitch ako sa catholic nung ikakasal na kami ni mrs
wala naman kaso sakin basta mahal mo ang isang tao

remilicious

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #169 on: May 02, 2017, 02:04:44 pm »
Sa tingin ko pwede namin muna pag-usapan naman bago pa maging kami.
Siguro from there, tsaka nalang to decide whether it's a yes or a no before committing.

Swerte ka sis kasi walang nagconvert at di naging big issue siya kahit sa families niyo. I'm praying also for this that if we're really meant for each other, for God to guide us and if not, to let us know early on as well. :)

Sometimes it's hard when you hear other people's comments but yun nga it's still a case to case basis at kung papaano rin namin i-wowork out.

Frankly medyo na freak out ako sa sinasabi na curse daw if ang nagconvert ay yung INC. Sa kids at marriage daw lumalabas yung karma. Sorry if some will not agree but I think sobra naman yun.

^if you are having doubts, wag mo na ituloy sis unless maresolve mo yun mga concerns mo. Start pa lang ng getting to know namin we agreed na hindi magiging issue ang religion.

I had a bf na INC and ilang months lang kami kasi from the start pa lang gusto niya mag convert ako sa religion nila. Sabi pa niya sa akin yun father niya sakristan but nagconvert para sa mother nila. Hindi ko talaga mag give up ng religion.

Mag 2 years na kaming kasal ni hubby. Walang nagconvert sa amin. Muslim siya, catholic ako. Usapan namin pag nagkaanak muslim ang mga bata.

Girltalker2

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #170 on: May 06, 2017, 05:24:26 pm »
^ I think if Protestant/Christian/catholic, mas prone mag convert ang isa. But there are instances it doesn't work if you intend to force your religion to the other.
And for me, BS yung kelangan ka mag convert if mahal mo ako... doesn't that also work the other way around?

Why force your religion to your partner if you cannot even accept his/her religion?

As for Catholic- Muslim unions, I also don't know how it can work. If kids are all Muslims, why? Is it because Muslim is better? Why not expose kids to both and just ask them to decide when they're big enough?

All religions for some reason have their right in being in this world. There is good in them that's why they exist and we have to respect other religions also, not only ours.

For me, I guess I'm lucky as I never encountered this before. I've only dated guys who either have no religion or nagkataon Catholic. I used to say I'm ok to date a guy with a different religion but if he is to impose his religion to me, never mind. Further to this, after being with my partner for some years narin, who is more Catholic than I am; I realized ang sarap pala magform ng family and relationships when the religion is the same. We celebrate the same occasions (including relatives).
Kaya ngayon, Medyo naiba na ang pananaw ko regarding dating and relationships when it comes to religion. Ang maipapayo ko sa mga anak namin is date/marry within the same religion, ideally.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 07:56:01 am by Girltalker2 »

yn061515

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #171 on: May 06, 2017, 06:04:06 pm »
My husband is a Born Again Christian while I am Catholic. We've been together for 6 years and we've never had a problem with our difference in religion. Nasa pag-uusap at pagkakaintindihan yan... by experience I can confidently say na this kind of relationship can work talaga. Even our families never had issues. Our daughter is baptized and blessed on both, later on pag may muwang na sya, she can choose the religion she prefers pero sa pagpapalaki namin, we introduced both at nagsisimba kami on both.

blackgreen

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #172 on: May 06, 2017, 08:22:33 pm »
^^yep sis wala naman pilitan na nangyari. Though may mga times na makakarinig sa other relatives ni hubby na kelan daw ako magcoconvert. Yes, minsan hindi talaga maiiwasan na may maririnig kang comment sis. Hopefully mapagusapan and makapag agree kayong 2 sis. Goodluck! :)

^yan ang napagdesisyunan namin since hubby is the head of the family. We're just praying na it will work for us.

remilicious

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #173 on: May 06, 2017, 09:12:23 pm »
I agree with you on why force your religion on someone. I think there should be respect, acceptance and open-mindedness to anyone's faith. :)

^ I think if Protestant/Christian/catholic, mas prone mag convert ang isa. But there are instances it doesn't work if you intend to force your religion to the other.
And for me, BS yung kelangan ka mag convert if mahal mo ako... doesn't that also work the other way around?

Why force your religion to your partner if you cannot even accept his/her religion?

As for catholic- Muslim unions, I also done know how it can work. If kids are all muslims, why? Is it because Muslim is better? Why not expose kids to both and just ask them to decide when they're big enough?

All religions for some reason have their right is being this world. There is good in them that's why they exist and we have to respect other religions also, not only ours.

For me, I guess I'm lucky as I never encountered this before. I've only dated guys who either have no religion or nagkataon Catholic. I used to say I'm ok to date a guy with a different religion but if he is to impose his religion to me, never mind. Further to this, after being with my partner for some years narin, who is more Catholic than I am; I realized ang sarap pala magform ng family and relationships when the religion is the same. We celebrate the same occasions (including relatives).
Kaya ngayon, Medyo naiba na ang pananaw ko regarding dating and relationships when it comes to religion. Ang maipapayo ko sa mga anak namin is date/marry within the same religion, ideally.

yn061515

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2017, 02:06:09 pm »
^ Yes kasi most if not all relationships na finorce of some sort doesn't work out.
Napiitan lang mga tao so eventually magsasawa yan. Walang sense living ones life that way.

As for us, respect is there since the very beginning. Walang magbabago ng religion, we support each other's faith. Lucky for us kasi even our parents understand and supports us. 

MoonshineLady

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #175 on: July 11, 2017, 11:21:16 am »
IMO mahirap ang set up na ganito. yun lang tingin ko

nnnaaaccchhhiii

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2017, 01:05:37 am »
Mahirap yunn ganitong situation :( Im a Catholic. INC sya. Una okay naman he said na ndi pwede sa kanila ang ndi ka Religion nila. No forcing tinry ko.. At first okay naman kaya lang may mga preachings talaga na ndi ko maintindhan. Yunn Parents nya instead na iexplain saken or tulungan ako kung bakit ganun. Wala all i hear from them is cursed words  blah blah blah.  ;D ;D ;D

Nakakainggit yunn magkaiba Religion pero they respect each other.
i love the guy so much pero siguro mauuwi na sa hiwalayan ito :(

iluvescadasport

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2017, 07:13:16 pm »
mahirap. one of my dealbreaker actually is if different. I don't agree compromising works kasi eventually one of you has to give in and there will be stuff na magiging issue because of religion.

kvandenhaak

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #178 on: September 07, 2017, 11:16:29 pm »
Mahirap yan if both are trying to convert each other. Pero kapag keri lang nung isa, it will work.

minnie99

  • Guest
Re: Relationships with Different Religion
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2017, 12:50:06 am »
I hope it works out for me and my boyfriend. Nung bago kami, siyempre honeymoon stage pinapangarap 'yung ikakasal kayo ganyan then lagi namin pinag-aawayan 'yung conversion sa religion haha. We both aren't very "religious" e.g. hindi naman ako mabuting Catholic unlike 'yung mom ko na devout talaga, and siya rin he claims he does not believe in religion. But of course, you know, you grew up with this religion, even if I say I believe we only have one God, I am not comfortable with suddenly stopping from hearing Catholic mass.

Ayun nung 1st year namin parang nagiging source of away 'yan, we stopped talking about it (because ano ba, ang aga para pag-usapan 'yun hahaha) and siyempre nag-"normalize" 'yung relationship nung tumagal na kami... Hindi na parang high school levels na laging kilig, lol. But I think ngayon nasa same page naman kami na we know we will get to that point pero hindi pa rin namin pinag-uusapan 'yung marriage and even religion. So I don't know kung ano mangyayari. Haha.

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close