watch now

Author Topic: OC's rules  (Read 177686 times)

aquacharly

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #220 on: April 04, 2009, 03:31:42 pm »
QUENNA, please check your ceiling crawl space to be sure unica hija yang intruder mo.  It is scary -- a scorpion.  Imagine what could have happened if it bit anyone.  (I have never seen a scorpion yet here in Manila.  Are you here in the Phils?)

I have Chinese relatives who will not sleep unless under a mosquito net.  Even if the house is fully screened.  Ang takot daw eh -- mabagsakan nang butiki.  Hahahaha.

Until you get your new house totally inspected for any other dwellers -- better put your kids under a kulambo. 

Have you had your pest control done already?
Why don't you ask the service personnel if they ever encountered scorpions, where?  within your vicinity?  Where do these dwell?  Do not take it lightly coz well,  it must have come from somewhere.

Akala ko talaga sa mga desert areas lang may scorpions.....   Arizona, Queensland ....

nainaj

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #221 on: April 05, 2009, 04:12:44 pm »
nag backread ako--grabe!bow ako sayo sis aquacharly!super OC ka talaga!how i wish maapply ko yan sa bahay namin!hehe

oc lang ako when it comes to toothpaste..yung pag gagamit na,yung iba kasi pinipisil sa gitna,ako talaga i squeeze from the bottom..naiinis pa kapatid ko dahil madalas ko pagsabihan.hehe  :)

MadzSantiago

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #222 on: April 27, 2009, 01:21:56 pm »
I did some back reading rin and I am inspired to try and apply some of the practices our sisses do. I'm a working person and I rent my own space para near work lang. I want to be somewhat OC sa pagke-keep ng cleanliness and order sa boarding house ko given the limited time i have. :)

quennna

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #223 on: April 27, 2009, 04:35:51 pm »
aqua, sis thanks sa concern..
dont worry, kausapin ko yung landlord namin about baby scorpion.. ;)



Stellar27

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #224 on: May 07, 2009, 06:49:56 pm »
dami ko natutunan dito ha...

angeleigh

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #225 on: May 07, 2009, 09:58:52 pm »
I am not an OC, but i have a question to you guys:

Do you have matching containers in your kitchen/cr? --like mga lalagyanan ng condiments and the likes, inilalagay ninyo ba sa mga matching containers, or do you just keep it in their own bottles? --same din with shampoo and conditioner. Inililipat ninyo pa ba yan sa ibang lalagyan?

Kasi when i have my own house, parang gusto ko ganito ang gawin, parang maganda kapag matching lahat. Wala kang makikitang mga brand/assorted colors/shapes na bottles sa kitchen at cr.


Gumdrop

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #226 on: May 08, 2009, 08:45:24 am »
I'm OC about being orderly. Things around me have to be functional at the same time being aesthetically pleasing din. Orderly, such that I do not have to do things na pwedeng iwasan, to save time and effort.

Matching containers ng mga ingredients yes. Kasi yung mga lalagyan that we use, easy to open and close.

I don't keep a lot of toiletries in the bathroom (we have maids kasi, basta). My toothpaste, palaging smallest size para palaging bago (besides, mas nakakabrush mabuti when you use just a pea size lang).

They don't have to be matching. Though when buying stuffs, tumitingin talaga ako ng packaging. Has to be easy to use and maganda, and other things like kelangan easy to clean ba etc.

;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 08:50:05 am by Gumdrop »

aquacharly

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #227 on: May 09, 2009, 02:03:43 pm »
I am not an OC, but i have a question to you guys:

Do you have matching containers in your kitchen/cr? --like mga lalagyanan ng condiments and the likes, inilalagay ninyo ba sa mga matching containers, or do you just keep it in their own bottles? --same din with shampoo and conditioner. Inililipat ninyo pa ba yan sa ibang lalagyan?

Kasi when i have my own house, parang gusto ko ganito ang gawin, parang maganda kapag matching lahat. Wala kang makikitang mga brand/assorted colors/shapes na bottles sa kitchen at cr.



In the kitchen, I match everything.  As in,  my condiments. equipment, etc etc are black and stainless or black and see-through (kung kelangan makita ang laman like for spices).  My knives, etc down to my can opener & silicone pot holders,  are all black-handled or black.  That is as far as my Family Kitchen goes.   

Now, I have a Service Kitchen with the same equipment as what I have in the Family Kitchen.  Dyan riot, any color goes.  So there, I color code my family kitchen coz I do not allow my stuff therein to be used at all by my helpers/in the Service Kitchen.

Our plates, service ware, table ware are all in white.  Kasi madali magdagdag if anything gets broken. Although I insist that all my plates and serving platters are of 1 design.  Pag hindi ko na ma replenish, I replace the whole service.   

My glasses are all clear.  No colors, no patterns.  Puede meron textural design, but clear.  Again, kasi madali mag match, madali mag replace.   OC ako in the sense na -- even when I have big parties in the house,  ayoko nakakakita ng  glass of any kind that has color on it.  Dapat lahat clear glasses.  Even my pitchers, are glass or crystal -- ayokong may color, gusto ko clear lahat.

(When I buy glasses for our daily use ... I see to it that it will allow a hand to get to the bottom -- parang sure na nalilinis maigi ang inside ng glass.  And I buy 6 dozens at one go.  Replenish lang ng replenish, kasi basag ng basag ang katulong, ako and whoever else.  When we are down to 10 glasses -- I give that away and buy another 6 dozen clear glasses.)

In the Service Kitchen, riot nga ng colors.  But I do not allow my service staff to use plastic glasses nor plastic cups.  kelangan babasagin din ang gamit.  Hate ko sa lahat ang coffee bottles na ginagawang baso or cup.  Ewan ko, but LOL my helpers have their own favorite color of mugs.  Bahala sila basta not in my Family Kitchen.   Sometimes, when I go into the Service kitchen, feel ko I am in Alice's Wonderland or a pre-school.  Ganoon sila ka colorful, my helpers. 

In the refs and freezers -- depende sa size required, I use those generic food plastic containers we buy either at the supermarkets or SM ... those clear plastics that are bundled together in packages of 4,5, or 6 pcs.  Kelangan rectangular... I do not like squares nor round containers in my refs and freezers.  OC nga, kasi gusto ko lahat stackable.  AND eto ha -- each must be labeled -- name of food inside in black thick pentel letters on masking tape. 

I try not to spend for expensive Tupperware nor Lock& Lock -- gusto ko tapon lang ng tapon after using for say 3x (we make a mark -- a line-- at 1 side of the container after washing after each use ... Pag naka 3 na -- we throw out na).

Whatever else is inside ... ketchup, sauces, cheese, etc.... original bottles.  I do not bother to transfer these like someone I know who keeps everything in bottles with the same color tops. 

For the bathrooms -- I do not transfer shampoos, body/handwash, conditioners or whatever from their original containers.  But I colorcode - LOL - the handwash I buy with the bathrooms these will be put to use in.  Like for my Powder Room -- kung summer eh green or yellow handwash, sabay summer colors din the Victoria's Secret toiletries like lotions and scents I put there.   Dati L'Occitane, pero laging nahihingi the Olive scent and the hand lotion (gastos naman but I cannot say no pag hiningi.  hay buhay)  In our bathroom,  I will never put red liquid handwash -- btw, I use liquid handwash in bottles with pumps for all sinks -- kitchen and bathrooms.  It is more hygienic than soap per my nurse friend.   In my girl's room -- I buy pastel-colored liquid handwash ...etc etc etc ganoong color coding.  :)

I try to minimize the quantity of toiletries in the bathrooms, coz I do not want to look like  a sarisari store.   Like, my husband has 1 shampoo, and I have my own and conditioner.   We have 1 generic body wash (Johnson's Milk Wash) or something both of us can use pag nagsawa ako (but kelangan 1 lang ang nakalabas for both of us to use).

 IF anybody wants to change his/her shampoo -- gotta throw out the old one, kahit na ba sabihin kabubukas lang.  Like GUMDROP. I control my toiletries kasi nga masakit sa mata and hard to maintain my "hotel/spa atmosphere" in the bathrooms if too many things are there.  If you will notice,  hotels and spas are restful coz they have only 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 lotion, etc etc.... minimum supply nga.  (I only have 1 back-up/replacement, if at all... kept away out of sight  in a cabinet).

All towels are of 1 color per bathroom. 
In ours, everything is beige.  1 kid has all lavender or light pink;  the boy has light green.
My guest rooms and spare rooms' towels, as well as the towels for the pool bathroom -- are all white with our monogrammed family name initial in olive green.     

That is as far as I go with my color coding or uniform presentation. 

But when I had no kids yet.  Everything in our bathrooms were in crystal containers.  Ouch, madami nang nabasag ang mga helpers, ako din.  So there,  on my counter top in front of the sink, I do keep my cotton pads and qtips in crystal containers.  I keep our toothbrushes and toothpaste standing in crystal containers... or silver.  That is all, not much effort there. 

kaiz

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #228 on: May 10, 2009, 12:02:34 am »
^hahaha. nagka idea na naman ako kay sayo sis. kaya pala kahit anong arrange arrange ko ng bathroom namin, masakit pa rin sa mata tingnan, kasi madami akong sabon and shampoo. nakaka dalawa to tatlong sabon kasi ako every paligo, don't know why  :D basta gusto ko iba ibang sabon. anyway, i'll try nga yang 1 shampoo and 1 conditioner rule and 2 soaps na lang, wag na 3.

by the way sis, why do you have to throw away your food plastic containers after using them 3 times?

aquacharly

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #229 on: May 11, 2009, 09:56:33 am »
KAIZ,  there is a triangle on the plastic containers with a number... that is the number of times you may use the plastic container before it becomes  carcinogenic daw.   

Eh usually what we buy eh 5 naka lagay.
To be sure eh we just use it 3x.. 
After the 3rd time,  we generally give to the village Eco-Aide, or my driver (who is in mid-life crisis and expressing it so positively by coming in early to do some gardening ... he likes to grow cuttings and small plants for our gardens   :)  -- he uses a lot of the discarded plastic food containers as his "potted nursery" .


angeleigh

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #230 on: May 11, 2009, 10:25:10 am »
^Oh yun ba yung ibig sabihin sa ilalim ng plastic containers...Hmm, hindi ba mas matipid kung bili na lang ng 'lock and lock' ? Mas-eco friendly pa?


marose17

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #231 on: May 11, 2009, 11:28:18 am »
Sisses, the number codes stand for the type of material used for the plastic container.  This is used for recycling since each type of plastic has a different melting point.

For example, #5 is for a plastic made of polypropylene (this is the cloudy plastic na safe for babies); #7 is for those made of polycarbonate (see the thread in childcare about the Bisphenol-A/BPA issue).

To know more, check out:  www.recyclenow.org and thegogreenblog.com.


angeleigh

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #232 on: May 11, 2009, 12:02:28 pm »
^ Thanks for the info sis. :) Does it follow na kapag mas 'cloudy' mas safe? yung clear pa naman ang preferred ko lagi.

marose17

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #233 on: May 11, 2009, 01:07:08 pm »
Polypropylene (the cloudy plastic) is safe for babies because when it's heated, it does not leach Bisphenol-A unlike polycarbonate (clear plastic).  There have been studies on BPA's adverse effects on humans since it is a hormone-mimicking chemical.  However, I know of several mothers in GT who are not alarmed by BPA.

Most baby feeding bottles are made of polycarbonate.

mikelly

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #234 on: May 14, 2009, 09:16:45 am »
cleaning materials at home should be complete such as disinfectants, soaps, and other liquid solutions to make the cleaning process good. uncomfy ako pag di kumpleto.  even floor wax and other pang maintain sa house.

aquacharly

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #235 on: May 20, 2009, 05:38:26 pm »
I do not mean to alarm you but we should cut back on the chemicals we use at home. 

A cousin of mine here in the US died last year -- lung cancer daw.  Ngayon there are 3 kinds of lung cancer daw ... meron due to smoking, meron due to chemicals used in the home, and the 3rd, sorry I forgot (sonmething viral). 

1 easy approach to cutting back on chemicals is to simplify our cleaning requirements.  Like, I do not need to floorwax anything in the house.  All planks are treated... naku,  cancerous ba such chemical finish?    I also discourage too much use of aerosols like Pledge ...

Gumdrop

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #236 on: May 20, 2009, 08:00:39 pm »
Agree, much better to use natural cleansers (such as lemon, vinegar, baking soda, etc.)

frapi

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #237 on: May 21, 2009, 09:49:19 am »
i use liners for my trashcans kaya lang wala na ko stocks ::) where in manila can i buy simple human super fit liners?

honeydarlie

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #238 on: May 25, 2009, 06:50:37 am »
Hello aquacharly! Ang galing-galing naman ng home management skills mo.

Ask ko lang about your menu. Nahihirapan kasi ako. Gusto ko rin sana minimize my cooking kasi i only cook for 2 (im newly wed, no kids yet). Mahirap naman kung everyday luluto ako, magastos pa. So ang ginawa ko is i cook a batch then will eat it for 3 days! I put it sa ref, not the freezer (di ko pa natry). Grabe hahahaha... imagine that, nahihiya na ko sa asawa ko.

Nabanggit mo you cook in batch then tinatabi mo half then after 2 weeks ok pa dba? Im worried about this, hindi ba maspoil? Basta ba nasa freezer hindi masisira? BTW ordinary ref lang meron kami.

Ano bang lutong ulam ang pwedeng tumagal ng ganun katagal sa freezer? Pwede ba banggit ka kahit konti? Search ko na lang at pag-aaralan lutuin. Di rin kasi ako mashado marunong magluto.

Thanks a lot! :)

aquacharly

  • Guest
Re: OC's rules
« Reply #239 on: May 25, 2009, 02:16:17 pm »
HONEYDARLIE,  draw up a 2-week menu.  For breakfast and dinner. 
It is good to have a Masterlist kasi -- you will be able to avoid repetitions, even chicken sa umaga tapos chicken uli sa gabi?!  and you will have an easier time with your marketing and grocery.   

Be sure to consult your husband as to what he wants, para walang reklamo.   :) 
Once the 2-week menu is set, sabi ko nga kahit na magka erathquake or EDSA no.whatever.... ah basta, yan ang ulam.  :)

Stick to what is readily available ha.  I mean,  have a basic 2week menu... na puede mong note down alternatives depende sa seasonal availability.   Mahirap kung ipako mo agad ang Masterlist Menu mo to seasonal availability.  Kasi like me,  pag ang bellpepper eh hits high prices (mga P50 each kung minsan di ba) -- I will avoid a recipe requiring that. 

Whatever your consumption patterns, cook double what you will eat at a single meal -- freeze the other half to be eaten again after 2 weeks.  Your ref and freezer will do just fine.   Malaking ginhawa if you do not need to cook talaga everyday.  Tapos, kung ganado ka, eh di dagdagan mo on that day. Basta hindi ka pwersado.

Now, not all can be frozen.
Some of the dishes I can freeze, that do not suffer in quality/taste:   cooked na --  beef kaldereta, osso buco,  pasta sauces, sinigang (without the veggies yet), fish paksiw (can just put in ref), adobo (can just put in ref), chicken afritada, menudo,  chicken teriyaki and chicken wellington ... madami.

IF veggies are required -- do not freeze these.  Just cook/add when you reheat the the dish again after 2 weeks.

Now, it is best you defrost overnight in the ref.

Alam mo HONEYDARLIE, kahit na ba you and your husband enter into a blood compact to honor the 2-week menu, there will be days you will choose to eat out or eat in your parents' house.  Okay lang yan, basta ikaw laging kang prepared to feed him.  It says a lot that a wife can manage her home well di ba. 

Sorry, I forgot -- keep things simple ha, lalo na 2 lang kayo. 
Like I do not really bother to cook lengua nor karekare noong 2 lang kami.  Even now, I do not cook karekare coz my kids refuse to eat it.   :)
So sa mga ganoong type ng hubby mo (or type mo) -- maki kain ka na lang sa inlaws or parents mo.  LOL   I inform them to call us in advance (or send us an appropriate quantity) when their ulam is karekare or lengua or even monggo guisado. (Never kasi ako nagpapaluto nang tuyo sa house, even in my Service Kitchen.  Eh masarap monggo with tuyo and chicharon di ba.  LOL) 

Atchaka HONEYDARLIE,  love na love ka talaga ng hubby mo.  Imagine, parehong ulam 3days in a row tapos walang reklamo, walang:  ang mommy ko ganito ganyan ganito ganyan.  LOL

God bless!


 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close