Warning: Long post. This is the first time that I am talking about this, because if I say anything to my friends, even the closest ones, I am sure my husband will find out.
When I was 18 and still in college, I got pregnant by my boyfriend who is 10 years older than me. He is a lawyer and he came from a very traditional and prominent political family. We had to get married right away because he was just starting his political career and it would be good for his image na panagutan ako. I was young, dumb, and too inlove back then. I admit that my husband helped me and my family in every way he can, lalo na financially, my mom is a single parent kaya he is really a big help. Because of him, my whole family lived a comfortable life until now and I will always be grateful. Don?t get me wrong, I didn?t marry him because of money. I really fell in love with him, it felt like he was the perfect guy for me at that perfect time, I?m in love with his charm, his passion in public service, the way he cares about me and my family, he is a good man after all. Or at least he was.
I always knew that my husband is very traditional, very ?manly?, since boyfriend-girlfriend days pa lang he was really strict and he?s always been the dominant one. I just always think that it must be the age gap and he?ll probably loosen up as we spend more time together. But I was wrong, as the years go by, he became more strict. I never got the chance to have a real job because he?d always say that it?s best if I just stay at home and take care of them, he never allowed me to drive on my own, I can only go out with my friends as long as I?m with him because he?s really jealous, there?s one time that my friends and I planned a trip to HK, nagpaalam ako nicely and he allowed me but one day before the flight he changed his mind and decided na wag na ako pasamahin, just because ?he needs me? daw, he never listened to any of my opinions, he?d just say na siya yung padre de familia kaya siya ang masusunod dapat and I shouldn?t let anyone see that I have flaws as a person, lalo na in front of his constituents. I tried to be prim and proper all the time, the perfect wife... or more like the perfect trophy wife. The recent years he became more temperamental too, palaging ako yung nagiging taga-salo ng mga galit niya (pero mabuti nang ako kaysa mga anak namin). Whenever I make a mistake or do something wrong in his eyes, he?d yell at me saying ?Nata-t*nga ka na naman? or mumurahin niya nalang ako. When he?s drunk and got pissed, he?ll attempt to slap me, push me away, or throw stuff at me. Kapag nagagalit siya sakin, palagi niyang sinasabi na kung wala siya, malamang nasa ?kangkungan? pa rin ako. I didn?t say anything to anyone; I?d always think na at least it?s just me, not my kids, he makes sure na hindi nakikita ng mga anak namin. Coming from a broken family and growing up without a father, I won?t let them suffer like I did. With this kind of thinking, siguro nga totoong nata-t*nga na ako. We?ve been married for 15 years but everyday he always made me feel like I?m still that 18-year old na napulot niya lang kung saan, na para bang purpose ko lang in life eh i-please siya and pagandahin yung image niya. Pero kapag nakikita niya na akong umiyak, magpapadala nalang siya ng flowers and card, sasabihin niya na he?s just like that because he doesn?t want me to leave. He loves me too much daw. My friends from high school and college knew about how strict he can be when it comes to me, from then ?til now wala pa rin talaga siyang pagbabago. Some may consider me lucky because my husband loves me very much, unlike other wives na may affair yung husbands nila. Although somehow this is true, sometimes I wish na mambabae nalang siya para mawala na yung attention niya sakin. If this is his definition of love, I don?t want it.
Just when I thought that it couldn?t get any worse, we had a big fight last year. We had 4 daughters back then and I didn?t want to do one more because I had 3 miscarriages already; I tried talking to him calmly but he didn?t take it in a good way. He got furious than usual, hindi naman siya lasing, he insisted that I should give him a son, na bibigyan ko na nga lang siya ng anak na lalaki eh hindi ko pa magawa. That was the first time that I saw him like that since we became a couple. That was the first time he actually hurt me physically. That was the first time that he forced himself into me. And then it happened again... and again... and again. I never felt so dirty, embarrassed, mad at myself... para akong bayarang babae. But he got what he wanted. Even when I was pregnant, ginawa niya pa rin sakin. The more I resist the more he?ll do it, asawa naman niya daw ako so he can do anything. The only good thing that came after that is my boy, I gave birth last May.
He also got elected in the Congress, he?s more civil now and apologized for what he put me through my entire pregnancy (sana man lang our entire marriage noh). But I know he will do it again, even when he said that he won?t. My daughters are very young, they?re 15, 14, 13, 9 years old. I have a 2-month old son. They don?t have any idea on what?s happening to us, they adore their dad so much. He is a better provider than I am and I know he?d never hurt our kids. So I just face the public all smiles, be his loving wife in their eyes, and do whatever he says that would protect his image. I can?t seem to stand up against him, I don?t how and I don?t know The only thing that kept me going is the love of my children. If weren?t for them, matagal na akong wala.
I?m sorry, I just really needed a platform to get these all out of my mind. I feel like I?m bursting anytime, or worse baka mabaliw na ako. It?s my personal choice not to say anything to my family and friends until I'm ready and capable, this won?t be easy so I need to strategize. If I choose to speak out, his whole clan, not just him, will be affected. Right now, I just need a company, I?ve been really wanting to talk to someone about my situation. Hopefully one day I will have the strength and courage to stand up against him, eventually be free from him.