Author Topic: Catholic Church - personal vows  (Read 1784 times)

shopaholic

  • Guest
Catholic Church - personal vows
« on: November 07, 2016, 07:45:59 am »
Hi all, apparently the church now allows personal vows, depending on the preference of the priest? We met with Fr. Tuy of COTH a few weeks ago, and he suggested personal vows right before he ends the mass and the first kiss.

We'd actually given up the idea when the CBCP came up with the pronouncement of no personal vows earlier this year. Now I have to think of personal vows! hehe. Any tips?

And for those bride-to-be's who want their own personal vows, don't forget to ask your priest about it 😊

marywater

  • Guest
Re: Catholic Church - personal vows
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 09:42:17 am »
Hello!

I'm also in the process of writing my personal vows, and although I am planning to list these vows with the intro and ending being spontaneous, I might still prepare the whole thing 'cause I might get too emotional that day to think of anything. That's what other brides-now-wives have suggested to me too.


Also, to clarify things, for Catholic couples, the official vows are still the usual "In sickness, and in health, for richer or poorer..." or another version of it ('cause I think there are different ways to express this but they all mean the same). That vow will never be omitted in a wedding ceremony for Catholics. What we are not allowed to do is to forget and replace those vows with our own.

What we could do is add our personal vows, which is set in another part of the ceremony (perfect example: before the couple's kiss).

Personal vows are really optional, and it also depends on the priest who will officiate 'cause there are some of them who are too strict about it.

kobekitten

  • Guest
Re: Catholic Church - personal vows
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 02:44:52 pm »
Kailan binalik ang personal vows as an option? I attended the seminar at Manila Cathedral around 2-3 weeks ago and was told na bawal.

exquisitegem

  • Guest
Re: Catholic Church - personal vows
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 09:58:26 pm »
Sa church din where we'll be getting married, they confirmed that they allow personal vows. Good thing din that our guest priest who will officiate is a relative so we can request the personal vows to be included before the couple's first kiss. :)
I have read nga that there are churches who's strict on it, but there are some who allows it. Luckily, allowed samin.

Rory_Lorelie_Gilmore

  • Guest
Re: Catholic Church - personal vows
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 09:00:51 pm »
Not really into reading our personal vows in the Church in front of the Priest and the guests - our family and friends, but I think our Church (San Antonio de Padua) allows it. I prefer to read or recite my personal vow na kami lang dalawa ipapavideo ko nalang for our SDE or if I go big, baka during reception. I'd like to use the Church's vow "In sickness, and in health, for richer or poorer..." inside the Church.  :) parang we can always read our personal vows anywhere, pero yung vows ng Church and its value and sanctity is talagang pang Church lang. Just me.  :P
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:07:36 pm by Rory_Lorelie_Gilmore »

exquisitegem

  • Guest
Re: Catholic Church - personal vows
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 09:44:40 pm »
^I agree!  :) The standard church vows, we will not omit.

numfarlorne

  • Guest
Re: Catholic Church - personal vows
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 02:55:55 am »
50-50 on this, while I'm not very strong of faith, changing the Catholic vows seem a bit weird. I also would go nuts trying to find the right words that would be appropriate to share with the whole group, (I've been told I have an inappropriate sense of humor), but also I want to make sure I say something.

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close