Author Topic: Regularly traveling for work  (Read 3582 times)

j.adore

  • Guest
Regularly traveling for work
« on: May 13, 2016, 12:38:10 pm »
To the those who have this set up, what are the pros and cons? Given the choice would you still pick this kind of work?

I will have a new role and this might be part of it. OK lang sa amin ni husband yung mga a few weeks a couple of times a year. However, I've seen office mates go for 2 to 3 months, uwi for a few weeks then leave again.

Thing is, me and my husband promised we won't be away from each other. Clingy much hehe but we got married to be together. This type of work ala LDR na din.
My husband cannot go with me ubusan ng leaves if ever.

But because of the opportunity, he's encouraging me to go. I think I'll learn a lot din pero priority ko husband ko.
I've no issues with sayang travel kasi pagoda yun. I prefer vacation so if I can get out of work travel, I don't pursue.

Meron other role option Manila based so same as my current set up. It's really up to me but I'm indecisive about it.

What do you think?

Girltalker2

  • Guest
Re: Regularly traveling for work
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 06:56:20 pm »
If it is just for a year, Baka workable. Pero permanent position? Parang hirap ata.

Do you have kids na ba or planning to have? Obviously mahirap itong set up if ever.

There are other jobs naman na Hindi ganun katagal ang duration. 1 week or a few days lang.


blushberry

  • Guest
Re: Regularly traveling for work
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 07:46:36 pm »
^^1) What do you value the most?  Career advancement or your husband?  Pagisipan mo 't0 :)
2) Do you have kids? 
3) Traveling a lot for work is usually something single women would be clamouring for, pero na sa ibang level ka na ng life mo.
4) Compensation?  Malaki ba ang difference sa nakukuha mo ngayon?
5) If you don't accept this role, what's the next step for you in terms of your career?  Meron pa bang iba?

j.adore

  • Guest
Re: Regularly traveling for work
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 11:27:24 am »
If it is just for a year, Baka workable. Pero permanent position? Parang hirap ata.

Do you have kids na ba or planning to have? Obviously mahirap itong set up if ever.

There are other jobs naman na Hindi ganun katagal ang duration. 1 week or a few days lang.

We're required at least 3 years in one role. If lucky, possible naman tig 1-2 weeks lang but of course, we cannot select depends on the project yung duration.

We don't have kids and not planning to have any. Marriage lang isipin.

j.adore

  • Guest
Re: Regularly traveling for work
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 11:32:52 am »
^^1) What do you value the most?  Career advancement or your husband?  Pagisipan mo 't0 :)
2) Do you have kids? 
3) Traveling a lot for work is usually something single women would be clamouring for, pero na sa ibang level ka na ng life mo.
4) Compensation?  Malaki ba ang difference sa nakukuha mo ngayon?
5) If you don't accept this role, what's the next step for you in terms of your career?  Meron pa bang iba?

Husband ☺️ I'm only assessing because siya mismo encourages me.

No kids and not planning to have any

Even when I was single, I don't go for business travels. Pag last resort lang so in my work lifetime mga 2 projects only.

No difference in compensation ito. Though I don't know if the per diem can be kept kung tipirin like what others do.

Meron pang iba 😊 I can choose and request work setup naman. The other one would be leading a Manila based team.

skela96c

  • Guest
Re: Regularly traveling for work
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 11:52:36 pm »
Present! Although longest i have scheduled so far is 3weeks and gf/bf pa lang kami nun.  Usually i travel 5-7x a year, for about a week each trip.

I actually just came back from a week-long business trip abroad. At nasagasaan nya ang 5th month ng baby ko AND 1st year wedding anniversary namin.  Imagine my guilt. I feel really bad but before i applied for a visa for this trip tinanong ko naman asawa ko.  Siempre hassle, pero at the onset sinabi naman din nya na pag trabaho at hindi naman matter of life and death, ok lang sa kanya na magtravel ako. Nagcelebrate na lang kami before i left and after i came back.  Yung guilt ko for leaving my baby is a different story.

Minsan he joins me. Like last year, i had to go to somewhere a week after our wedding so parang sinabay na din namin na honeymoon. May mga nakasched din ako na business trips this year na balak namin isama pati si baby.  We'd fly all at the same time, theyd stay at the hotel while i work then extend na lang kami a few more days para sabay holiday na. In a way nakatipid pa kasi one less fare to shoulder. Hehe. I also let my boss know about it and he's perfectly ok w the plan.

ReservoirDogs

  • Guest
Re: Regularly traveling for work
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 07:46:29 am »
^

Same as my husband. He has out of town / country trips every other month, minsan every month. But luckily each trip is short, 2 days minimum, 5 days max.

As much as I hate it, this is his job and long-term career, and I have to support it.

Pros? Well I have my me-time. I love to be alone sometimes. And of course may per diem yung husband ko. I also join my husband sometimes, if the airfare isn't too expensive. My advantage is that I work at home kaya I can join him anytime I want to.

Cons? I'm all alone in another country. So if something happens to me, he won't know until he arrives home, hehe. I also get paranoid because my husband is sometimes alone in a new, sometimes unsafe, country.  He also missed 2 of our anniversaries, 3 birthdays (2 mine and 1 his).

If it's a short trip every month, I think your husband can manage being alone, as long as he's ok with that kind of set up. But if he's doesn't like it, you mentioned that there's no difference in pay, you can pass this option up with no regrets.

j.adore

  • Guest
Re: Regularly traveling for work
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 01:40:07 pm »
Thanks for sharing! Yes, I guess short trips are OK and if the partner can come with.

If I can confirm this with my manager, baka it's OK. Otherwise, I'll request for Manila based role.

blushberry

  • Guest
Re: Regularly traveling for work
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 04:07:21 pm »
^ So sis if you work overseas, the compensation will still be the same? ??? In short, makaka save si company kasi local rate for international setup?

My sister was given the option to work abroad din. She's single with no bf pero parang ayaw niya kasi hindi din clear for her if the condo or house will be shouldered by the company or kung ano ba.  Dati kasi when she travels, 1 month lang. At first hotel, then nung second time parang serviced apartments na.  Aside from that, she values us, her family.  Ayaw niya siguro malayo.  So siguro na sa sayo naman narin yan.  Kung hindi naman permanent ang assignment mo abroad baka gusto mo din siya grab for experience or just the challenge of handling different nationalities.

mei-mei

  • Guest
Re: Regularly traveling for work
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 10:40:36 am »
I had this setup when I was single and on my first years of marriage. The longest time we’re apart was 3 months. We were ok naman. Missing each other was normal but I enjoyed the travels then. But, as you grow older, frequent travel for work can get tiring. Maybe it’s also because we live overseas and we don’t have a maid so we are busy with house chores. Traveling actually cuts your personal time which is supposed to be your time to do errands and chores. Marriage is also an everyday work so it’s not that healthy to be away for  a total of 1/2 or 1/3 of the year from your spouse.

I’d say, it’s ok for short term (1-2 years) but not for long-term.

Girltalker2

  • Guest
Re: Regularly traveling for work
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 12:00:33 pm »

Maybe can ask tips din from Stewardess/ pilot how they're able to maintain a good marriage given that Travelling is always part of their job

120515

  • Guest
Re: Regularly traveling for work
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 07:48:27 pm »
both myself and my husband travel for work. i got a new job at the start of the year that requires me to travel more often for at least 2 weeks with 4 week intervals in between. my husband also travels - he has at least 2 1 to 2-week long work trips and a few quick ones to australia every few months.

i'm currently pregnant and i do admit it was lonely being away from my husband. but we arranged for him to fly out to where i am at the end my trips so we can have mini vacations together. this will be our arrangement going forward. i'll be travelling again, this time to australia, so he scheduled his own work trip to australia at the same time so we could be together.

if your work trip will be for a longer period then you may want to consider it carefully. budget in the costs of you regularly flying back home and/or him flying to where you are and of course the incidental expenses (meals, transportation costs, etc.) to those trips. then check if it's worth it.

googoo

  • Guest
Re: Regularly traveling for work
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 09:21:47 pm »
^ Your husband is foreign pala sis, it must be really be challenging to have a long distance set up from time to time. 

Ang sarap lang din siguro to be able to travel for work as a single woman, just because with it comes exciting challenges ahead and experiences na hindi makukuha here.

badw33d

  • Guest
Re: Regularly traveling for work
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 10:01:28 pm »
I say go for it.

I've been in a travelling type of work since year 2000. Ever watched the movie UP in the AIR? kind of similar travel just that i do international.

My wife clearly understands my job. So we do constant facetime and imessaging. But i understand that this is not for married couples, so since we tied the knot last year, I tendered the resignation immediately. I'll be out of this job soon :-) very excited.

I think for married couples, this setup is good enough for a max of 2yrs.

120515

  • Guest
Re: Regularly traveling for work
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 06:28:45 pm »
^ yes, sis googoo, it's challenging but we keep constant communication with one another when we are apart and call each other every night to catch up :)

j.adore

  • Guest
Re: Regularly traveling for work
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 06:50:42 pm »
^ So sis if you work overseas, the compensation will still be the same? ??? In short, makaka save si company kasi local rate for international setup?

My sister was given the option to work abroad din. She's single with no bf pero parang ayaw niya kasi hindi din clear for her if the condo or house will be shouldered by the company or kung ano ba.  Dati kasi when she travels, 1 month lang. At first hotel, then nung second time parang serviced apartments na.  Aside from that, she values us, her family.  Ayaw niya siguro malayo.  So siguro na sa sayo naman narin yan.  Kung hindi naman permanent ang assignment mo abroad baka gusto mo din siya grab for experience or just the challenge of handling different nationalities.

In terms of salary, no changes since considered as business travel and not overseas assignment. All expenses are covered though.
The experience is indeed a good opportunity pero handling different nationalities, I'm already familiar through day-to-day operations.

I had this setup when I was single and on my first years of marriage. The longest time we’re apart was 3 months. We were ok naman. Missing each other was normal but I enjoyed the travels then. But, as you grow older, frequent travel for work can get tiring. Maybe it’s also because we live overseas and we don’t have a maid so we are busy with house chores. Traveling actually cuts your personal time which is supposed to be your time to do errands and chores. Marriage is also an everyday work so it’s not that healthy to be away for  a total of 1/2 or 1/3 of the year from your spouse.

I’d say, it’s ok for short term (1-2 years) but not for long-term.

I am actually one of those people who thinks very tiring to travel for work. There's also a study that it does take a physical toll in the long run.

Fully agree on needing to work on marriage regularly, hence the hesitation on how it could work if always out of the country.

Maybe can ask tips din from Stewardess/ pilot how they're able to maintain a good marriage given that Travelling is always part of their job

I don't personally know anyone in that line of work though. Hopefully meron sa GT ::)

both myself and my husband travel for work. i got a new job at the start of the year that requires me to travel more often for at least 2 weeks with 4 week intervals in between. my husband also travels - he has at least 2 1 to 2-week long work trips and a few quick ones to australia every few months.

i'm currently pregnant and i do admit it was lonely being away from my husband. but we arranged for him to fly out to where i am at the end my trips so we can have mini vacations together. this will be our arrangement going forward. i'll be travelling again, this time to australia, so he scheduled his own work trip to australia at the same time so we could be together.

if your work trip will be for a longer period then you may want to consider it carefully. budget in the costs of you regularly flying back home and/or him flying to where you are and of course the incidental expenses (meals, transportation costs, etc.) to those trips. then check if it's worth it.

My own fares would be shouldered by the company so in case we will have a similar setup, own costs would be my husband's fares and incidental expenses when we're together na.
However, this wouldn't be as frequent because my husband has limited leaves and cannot be gone from work for long periods of time.

^ Your husband is foreign pala sis, it must be really be challenging to have a long distance set up from time to time. 

Ang sarap lang din siguro to be able to travel for work as a single woman, just because with it comes exciting challenges ahead and experiences na hindi makukuha here.

A lot of people like travelling for work :) Some even change roles or companies just to get this kind of "perk" and definitely it's best if single kasi not much responsibilities pa.

I say go for it.

I've been in a travelling type of work since year 2000. Ever watched the movie UP in the AIR? kind of similar travel just that i do international.

My wife clearly understands my job. So we do constant facetime and imessaging. But i understand that this is not for married couples, so since we tied the knot last year, I tendered the resignation immediately. I'll be out of this job soon :-) very excited.

I think for married couples, this setup is good enough for a max of 2yrs.

Yeah, with technology today, there's a lot of mediums to communicate. I guess time difference na lang would be a factor in that.





Wala pa din final role for me but in the last discussion with my manager, wala questions about this so I'm assuming Manila-based lang. I'm also not raising it hehe so no business travels for now :)

badw33d

  • Guest
Re: Regularly traveling for work
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 05:22:53 pm »
^time difference doesn't matter :-) i'll just call and she'll call. I'll pick up no matter what and she does the same.

If domestic travel, you should be alright.

blushberry

  • Guest
Re: Regularly traveling for work
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2016, 10:46:47 pm »
^^ Marriage is indeed work in progress so since napapaisip ka rin kung gusto mo ba ito or hindi, better siguro to give this opportunity to others who will appreciate it more :)


 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close