Author Topic: What are your favorite board games?  (Read 3584 times)

lizzietseng

• Junior GirlTalker
What are your favorite board games?
« on: March 16, 2016, 11:04:10 pm »
Hey sis!  Pls. share your favorite board games that you have personally played, and would highly recommend them.  Let me start off by writing down my list in no particular order:

Scrabble- One of my all time favorite board games with my sister when we were young.  We could spend 3-4 hours in one seating just to play 3-4 games during summer time. 

Chess- Although am not really good at playing this game, yet I find it engaging as it requires a lot of mental work.

Ticket to Ride (Europe)- Ever since we've been going to Cedric's, a board game café here in Sta. Mesa Heights Q.C., we (ranging from 11-43 years old) all fell in love with this game as it quickly becomes a classic game in our group. 

Splendor- Next to TTR, we all have fun in playing this game that requires only a little strategy.  Kids below 10 can easily play this game with kids of the same age group, or even with adults.

Camel Cup- This is the best racing game I have ever played so far.  Loads with lots of fun, I totally like the construction of the pyramid and pieces that go with it, coz' they are beautifully designed and sturdy.

Exploding Kittens-  This is actually a card game that requires strategic planning each time you put a card on the table in order to get rid of the possibility of picking the exploding kittens card.  I like this card game more than UNO.  Even my nephews like this game a lot.

Forbidden Island- The only cooperative game I've ever played (and I totally like the idea since all of the players must work together in order to win the game, for a change).  This game requires a lot of strategy, but my nephews of 11 and 13 easily understood the mechanics as early as 5 minutes from the start of the game, and they were the ones who excitedly instructed us on how we should go about with our next action in order to win it.  And indeed did we win on our first game!

iwannabeasupermodel

• Super GirlTalker
  • #cantbuyclass
Re: What are your favorite board games?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 11:09:50 pm »
Civilization!! 😁😁😁😁
I know women - and none of us are that nice

lizzietseng

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 11:09:18 am »
Wow sis!  I've checked out Civilization last night because I want to buy some board games at amazon these few days, hirap pala siya i-play.  Some played the game for 7 hours straight, and 3 hours once they got the hang of it...

I forgot to add Pictionary, 25 Words for Less, and Taboo in my list.  All these I played with my family and sis-in-laws.  In case anyone of you has 25 Words for Less in your possession that you want to get rid of, I'd be more than happy to buy it as long as it is in good condition.  Tks in advance!

iwannabeasupermodel

• Super GirlTalker
  • #cantbuyclass
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 03:16:18 pm »
^ at first mej sumabog din ulo ko pero magaling kasi yung nagturo sa amin and it helps to actually try the game. Nakakaaddict siya actually! Haha.

lizzietseng

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 03:27:19 pm »
'Pag nakarating na ako sa level of difficulty na kaya mo, I'll try to purchase the game.  Since mga kasama ko mga pre-teens, dapat bumagay kami ng sis ko sa hilig at kaya nila... ;)

iwannabeasupermodel

• Super GirlTalker
  • #cantbuyclass
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 09:27:38 pm »
okay din 7 wonders :D

lizzietseng

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 10:59:21 pm »
Have just watched the tutorial of 7 Wonders at Youtube, and I really find the game engaging.  I would try to include this game in our first balikbayan box from the states coz' limited lang ang board games here in the Philippines... Thanks again sis for making this suggestion!!!

rhumbafrapp

• Super GirlTalker
  • Vaaaaiiiin!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 07:23:21 am »
I like the ff board and card games
Geistes- its either the one na Meron or the one na wala. You have to be a quick thinker and also have a quick hand

Coup- love this game. Its a game of bluff. Pagalingan mag sinungaling and magdeduct who's who

Werewolf- same as above Pero pwede madaming tao

Game of the generals
Tapple- padamihan ng alam :)
Exploding kittens- siraan ng pagkakaibigan, haha. Pero nice
Dixit
There's this game we play where you bid on cars and there's a corresponding value, cite din
I also like strategy games- secret code, game of the generals

I am a big fan of board and game cafes tuloy. Maganda for breaking the ice between new people and acquaintances

iwannabeasupermodel

• Super GirlTalker
  • #cantbuyclass
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 07:29:09 am »
^^np sis ;)

rhumbafrapp

• Super GirlTalker
  • Vaaaaiiiin!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 11:27:54 am »
I tried Ludo (both makati and QC branches). Ok naman. Actually I feel the price is cheap pa nga considering we stay for at least 6hrs. :) you just pay for the  food and you can stay for 4hrs. Then order again after 4hrs. If I may suggest, visit kayo sa boardgames cafe and then from there try kayo before buying sa mga online sites.
I tried taboo din pala and its nice

Not recommended:
Path- boring. Nakakaiyak.

lizzietseng

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 09:54:20 am »
Have checked out Ludo and mukhang ok siya.  Mahal ba yung foods nila dun sis?  Sayang close sila this whole week sa scout area :(

rhumbafrapp

• Super GirlTalker
  • Vaaaaiiiin!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 08:06:51 am »
Medyo overpriced yun food nila to be honest and so-so lang. Pero I guess factored in na sa food price yun gaming fee :)
May requirement sila per person na mag order

lizzietseng

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 10:36:47 am »
I see... thanks for telling me sis!

lizzietseng

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 08:20:26 pm »
I've just bought Codenames and Carcassonne today.  Both are fun to play with, highly recommended mga sis!

Have also tried Settlers of Catan and King of Tokyo.  Catan can be considered a classic game now, given its popularity, people will surely like it once played.  As of King of Tokyo, we just love the artworks and great details added in the game.  Also, two must try games in your local board game café.

lizzietseng

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 10:02:52 am »
Tried playing Dixit at [textspeak!] Bean Café last night, and we had a blast.  I highly recommend this game to gamers of group of 5 and up. 

jamie_0117

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 09:35:58 pm »
Monopoly deal - but we use the deck not the board

lizzietseng

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 10:00:05 am »
Thanks sis for sharing.  Of all the monopoly versions out there, I like Monopoly Hotels the most.

iwannabeasupermodel

• Super GirlTalker
  • #cantbuyclass
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 03:42:39 pm »
Tried playing Dixit at [textspeak!] Bean Café last night, and we had a blast.  I highly recommend this game to gamers of group of 5 and up.

dixit is good too though parang this was the last game we played (we played till closing time) and medyo naexhaust na siguro kami from the other games we played kaya medyo overrated ang dating niya sa akin (my friend kasi had been mentioning it from the start kaso for 6 players lang siya max and we were 8 then so di siya masyado napapansin haha).

for me the very best (hehe) yung Telestration. parang ito lagi yung nirerecommend sa ludo for starters who wanted it light and easy. super enjoy dito.
another that we played was avalon, okay siya pero parang good for 1 game lang kasi it will get boring eventually. though as in naexhaust ako dito kasi all out kami sa pagconvince na we were one of the good guys. as in buwis anak, buwil lovelife, buwis internship just to convince each other. nakakatawa siguro kasi naririnig ng mga tao (who are all younger than us) na sinasabi namin "good guy ako, mabaog man ako" haha.

lizzietseng

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 05:09:04 pm »
haha, Avalon sounds like fun sis! I think [textspeak!] Bean has it also in their café, but we didn't get to play it.  Sayang!

I will definitely try Telestration when I visit Ludo coz' wala sya either sa [textspeak!] or Cedric's.

As for Dixit, since my sis and I liked it so much, we bought the board game the following day.  We're now waiting for the expansion set to be available at Cedric's so that we can buy them also.  We will no longer buy balikbayan box from the States coz' ang daming hinihinging extra fee from the shipper :(

Giri

• GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 11:00:14 am »
Chess is my favorite. Maganda talaga siyang laruin at ma appreciaate mo siya once na matutunan mo mga diskarte niya. Kung may mga kids kayo, magandang hobby din ang chess para sa kanila. Study has shown that playing chess improves the confidence and academic performance of students.

Chess benefits.
http://www.quadcitychess.com/benefits_of_chess.html

Chess tutorial for beginner
http://www.chesscorner.com/tutorial/learn.htm

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:00:33 pm by Giri »

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close