watch now

Author Topic: Solo living tips  (Read 2688 times)

ohcmon

  • Guest
Solo living tips
« on: March 09, 2016, 04:17:24 pm »
Hi, sisses!

Moving out of home before the month ends so I reaaally need tips from you girls who live alone/have tried living alone. :D

I'll be renting a room lang so ngayon pa lang medyo stressed na ako paano ang gagawin ko mag-isa, considering this is the first time I'll be living away from my folks.

I'll be honest and say na wala ako masyadong alam sa gawaing-bahay, though very much willing to learn.

Any tips for first-timers like me?

My parents will be there to guide and support me naman every step of the way (;D) but firsthand experiences would very much help.

TIA!

nixmusic

  • Guest
Re: Solo living tips
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 05:05:33 pm »
I lived on my own since I turned 19 so here are some tips I can share:

1. Make sure you have enough stock of food na easy to prepare such as bread and sandwich spread, cookies, biscuits, etc. One thing that made me survive the first time I moved out was an electric kettle - hot water can take you anywhere from coffee, warm milk, hot choco, instant oats, instant noodles, etc.

2. Since you mentioned na wala kang alam masyado sa gawaing bahay, you may want to start learning things one at a time. Cleaning your room is number one, you don't want to rely to other people to clean up after you. If you don't, ikaw din magsa-suffer. Your curtains should be changed once or twice a month, bedlinens changed every week and towels changed twice a week. You may opt to have your laundry done in laundry shops once a week but you have to make sure that your items are not just weighted but also specifically itemized to avoid missing pieces. Since you'll just rent a room, I don't think you have to worry about cooking.

3. Prepare a small medicine kit. The hardest thing about living on your own is not having anyone but yourself when you're sick but you have to deal with it. Having a few medicines available in your room as well as some packs of cool fever, vapor rub, etc. will be handy.

aquacharly

  • Guest
Re: Solo living tips
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 05:23:17 am »
I don't have first-hand experience living alone & renting  a room, but:

1st:  check your lock/s (preferably double lock combination) are secure for your personal security & to safeguard your possessions.
Check your room security:  windows secure as to keep out intruders?  Curtains/blinds sufficient to safeguard your privacy? 
I would also get simple alarm gadgets.    Those wedge type gadgets to stick under the door & even by window openings that would give off a loud alarm (just in case).

Are you allowed to heat/cook/store food in that room?  A studio type?    If it has a kitchen counter:  a very small microwave is a good start.  You can heat solids and liquids there.  Even just water for a cup of tea -- faster & less mess.  Bare minimum:  have ready snacks that do not need to be heated; & a couple of bottled water.  Keep snacks  in tightly closed plastic containers -- you wouldn't want to have to deal with pests. 

If your bathroom is en suite, fine. (Have essential cleaning supplies & tools).  But if you are going to use a common bathroom --  put all your bath essentials in a handy carrier to easily transport these back & forth.

Clean as you go. Do not let your mess build up.  Have a regular routine for dealing with your laundry. 
2 sets of bed linens is enough. 1 on the bed; another being laundered.

Keep your possessions to bare essentials. 

Spend an hour each week to sweep & dust your room.  The 3M dust cloths, kitchen paper rolls, plastic bags in your trash cans, & Pledge :D will make the cleaning easy.  I specially like using those kitchen paper rolls for spills and wiping --  saves us from  the trouble of washing trapos & saves water & detergents.





ohcmon

  • Guest
Re: Solo living tips
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 08:31:42 am »
^^ and ^ Thanks, sisses!

My room has its own submeter so ang worry ko, sis nixmusic, hindi ba malakas sa kuryente ang electric kettle? :D

There's a nearby laundromat so hindi na ako magpa-laundry.

No kitchen, sis aquacharly, but I may bring a small microwave or an electric stove nga, though pinag-iisipan ko pa this -- baka imbes na maka-save ako by re-heating/cooking my own food, mas mapamahal pa ako dahil sa kuryente. Anyway, I'll be living right in the smack of Maginhawa so I'll have a lot of food options naman, though wala ako balak araw-arawin eating out in nice cafes and restos at baka wala nang matira sa sahod ko. ;D

Noted on all your suggestions po. I guess I'll have to stock up on paper towels and disinfectants nga. Thanks so much!

junetwentythree

  • Guest
Re: Solo living tips
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 09:11:27 am »
I always give this advice for those who live alone:

Get a flash light like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61OXHoHDaAL._SX355_.jpg

Flash light for blackouts and can double as a weapon should the need arise :)

delleamor

  • Guest
Re: Solo living tips
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 01:30:04 pm »
Hi sis! Ako din hihiwalay na kay mama. I'm old enough na to have my own life and house. kaya todo hanap ng malilipatan. Anywho, gumawa na ako ng checklist kaya here are my suggestions:

-Storage for your stuff (from big to small boxes)
-Extra things (Extra charger, batteries, spare keys or anything that you might wanna have a spare of. You never know when you're gonna lose those eh)
-toiletries (You don't wanna forget those hahahah)
-As much as possible, appliances or things that are less space eaters since magisa ka lang and as much as possible put everything you need inside your apartment and less unecessary stuff.
-portable appliances for a quick fix for you.
-monthly grocery para hindi ka bili ng bili ng food sa labas
-multi-purpose things like sofa bed para space saver na rin.


Now, to conserve electric bill, always unplug appliances when not in use.
double check faucets before leaving your apartment
kung yung door knob lang ang lock sa door mo, you migh want to install another lock, preferably yung chain door fastener para you cans till see things from the inside whilst the door is locked.

Then yes, yung tips ng mga ka-sis natin, learn how to do all the chores.

nixmusic

  • Guest
Re: Solo living tips
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 04:17:13 pm »
My room has its own submeter so ang worry ko, sis nixmusic, hindi ba malakas sa kuryente ang electric kettle? :D

Depende how often you'll use it. I suggest if you'll buy, get the one na insulated or parang thermos na rin and kaya i-keep hot yung water for few hours (even when unplugged) para you can heat one full na tatagal for a few hours or a day.

mimai1122

  • Guest
Re: Solo living tips
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 12:10:10 am »
I agree with all the suggestions of the ladies here. Haven't lived alone for quite some time now kasi I've been married for 13 years na. But, naalala ko pa rin syempre 'yung experiences ko. I lived in my aunt's house for several months. Yung house na ako lang mag-isa palagi nandoon. So, basically, I lived alone talaga.

Anyway, pinaka-importante for me is food. Para no need to drown yourself in fast food or restaurant food. Unhealthy siya and very expensive. Lesson learned ko talaga 'yan. Of course, puede mong i-reward yung self mo from time-to-time. But, huwag naman yung every day. If you don't know how to cook, matututo ka. Start with the simple recipes para masanay ka.

Good luck, sis! And, enjoy!!!😃

delleamor

  • Guest
Re: Solo living tips
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 05:17:19 pm »
I agree with ya sis! I think being a female, dapat matuto tayong magluto alone or for ourselves. We should learn how to do things without the help of others. Practice na rin ata ito para sa future lol Be resourceful and stuff. Keep out things as neat as possible.

shenshen8

  • Guest
Re: Solo living tips
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 03:49:27 pm »
I barely cooked when I was living alone, I didnt have the time and I didnt want to have to deal with the dishes, hehe (I know, bad. Medyo hectic kasi sched ko noon eh)
1. Always pay your rent on time. Remember, your landlord/lady can kick you out if you dont. This will establish good rapport with them also.
2. Always be vigilant. Treat the neighborhood as your home. Try to familiarize yourself with your neighbors and the actual neighborhood. This way, you will know if something is out of the ordinary. Living alone is risky kasi there's no one who is there to really watch over you.
3. Learn to clean your bathroom :P set a sched para hindi ka tamarin
4. Know what to do in case of emergencies. This sounds cliche. Pero I experienced na nagka-sunog 1 block away from my apartment dati, medyo nakakatakot kasi mag-isa lang ako nun and there were people running around. Have emergency contacts in your phone, know emergency exits and nearest hospitals. Know alin sa mga gamit mo ang kukunin mo for a quick getaway. This way, you wont panic :)
5. Keep a store of basic medicines: Biogesic, Diatabs, Pain Meds (like advil or whatever) kasi wala kang mauutusan to buy one for you. :P hirap magka-trangkaso or dysmenorrhea mag-isa, hehe. Some basic first aid rin: band-aids and betadine and cotton pwede na.
6. Ngayong tag-ulan, make sure you have food and water in case hindi ka makalabas due to floods and storms. Experienced this atleast 2x in my 5 years living alone.
7. Pay meralco bills before the due date unless gusto mo pumila sa Meralco office. haha. Lagi ko ito nakakalimutan noong umpisa, hassle.
8. Schedule things like: Bathroom cleanings, when to change your bedsheet, etc. As in put it in a calendar somewhere kasi madaling tamarin pag dating sa mga ganyan (like me!)

Medyo weird tip:
If you have your own room/unit: Buy a lampshade. It will make your space cozy.
One thing about living alone is, it can get lonely. And if you just came home from work, stressed or homesick, a homey space can really help. Making your space cozy and homey can help it become a de-stressing place for you :) I bought one dati na may dimmer switch pa (sa SM ata) and I really love how it made my place look warm and cozy. I still have it :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 03:57:20 pm by shenshen8 »

iwannabeasupermodel

  • Guest
Re: Solo living tips
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 06:17:32 pm »
an important tip for me is to stock up on canned goods! i learned my lesson the hard way back in the Habagat days. good thing there's a 7/11 nearby buut paubos na rin yung pagkain by that time. and having a thermos with hot water also really helped especially if you'll only heat up some water if you need it, so what if walang electricity.

thanybawasanta

  • Guest
Re: Solo living tips
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 12:10:23 pm »
Better get a roommate or be friends with your neighbour.

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close