watch now

Author Topic: Preschooler's Graded Notebook  (Read 1912 times)

KVsWahmmy

  • Guest
Preschooler's Graded Notebook
« on: December 17, 2015, 10:30:45 am »
So I just saw a sheet of paper at the back of my Prep kid's notebooks - Rubrics for Notebook - and it had scores and all in it. There was even a 'passing score'.

And then I remembered my child's adviser telling me the last PTC when we got her card - that they MIGHT use the notebook to break the 'ties' of students in the Top 10. They use daw kasi the DepEd grading system, so the grades are transmuted to a certain score - thus the 'tie'.

Naisip ko lang, is it 'fair' that the notebook will be used to break the 'tie'? I mean how they wrote on their notebook is not even a gauge of how well they understood a lesson, of how much they learned. If they wanted to break 'ties', hindi ba puedeng specialized test or specialized project kaya? Just a thought.

When I was in school pa kasi, notebooks were checked as a requirement for clearance. Pero hindi naman graded.

Thoughts please? :) Maybe I'm just not seeing the positive side? Hehe. Thank you!

ErinPeeples

  • Guest
Re: Preschooler's Graded Notebook
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 07:25:41 pm »
My kid go to a preschool and his notebooks are checked regularly. I think Long Island preschool is the best preschool to enrol your kid as it support kids emotional, physical as well as intellectual level. Children learn social interaction, physical activities etc. Preschool also prepares them for kindergarten.

glamorosa_09

  • Guest
Re: Preschooler's Graded Notebook
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 09:22:37 pm »
Hmmm... in our family kasi, we don't focus on grades and other forms of awards. Instead we put effort on developing a good character and cultivating love for learning even without external rewards.

But to answer your question, and in line with what I mentioned, I guess magandang tie breaker are the values and character of the child which could be measured by his/her adaptive, social, and emotional skills.

In the end, kahit pagtanda ng bata, it's not academic performance which will determine a person's success but his/her character.

Haha! Lumayo na, notebook lang yung pinag-uusapan.

simpleemie

  • Guest
Re: Preschooler's Graded Notebook
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 11:21:09 pm »
I admire that sis. Medyo grade conscious kase ako sa anak ko.

KVsWahmmy

  • Guest
Re: Preschooler's Graded Notebook
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 11:38:13 am »
glamorosa_09: Good point about the tie breaker. Puede din yun.

sis simpleemie: We also aim for good grades by enforcing good study habits. I don't think that's such a bad thing for as long as balanced naman. :) In fact, giving my daughter a goal has always helped her be more confident, more determined, to keep on trying. Parang sa work lang di ba? We have metrics, we have goals, sa sales - merong quota. Always do your best ang peg,

glamorosa_09

  • Guest
Re: Preschooler's Graded Notebook
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 11:27:08 pm »
I think a better word for 'enforcing' is encouraging. Encouraging the kid to have a good study habit. Ok sya.

About the grade, I think ok lang naman for as long as the parents won't make a big deal pag di na meet yung expected  grade or award, for as long as the kid did his/her best. Yung iba kasi may punishment pag di naging honor ang anak -- disapproval or shaming from parents,etc.  There could be a tendency that these children, at their young age, will tie up their personal worth with their grades. So yeah, the key is balance.

With regards to setting goals, you have a good point there. Though I don't really worry about it as I believe that people naturally strive for growth, especially if they are passionate at what they do, and they grew up with a belief in their abilities.

KVsWahmmy

  • Guest
Re: Preschooler's Graded Notebook
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 12:11:47 am »
Yes - BALANCE. Always. Whatever one's parenting style is, that's always the key. :)

So whether a parent is grade-conscious or not, whether it matters to a parent that good grades are met or not, mas importante to strike a balance ng all elements involved sa pagpapalaki ng bata. Ika nga ng mga matatanda noon, parang sabon lang, hawakan mo ng masyadong mahigpit - malalaglag. Hawakan mo ng masyadong maluwag, malalaglag din. Hawakan mo ng sakto lang, ng tama lang.  And I do believe that's what all parents aim for naman di ba? Different ways nga lang most likely, but same goal. :)


 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close