watch now

Author Topic: I am 32y/o and working overseas for 4 years, will I get a good paying-job in PH?  (Read 6755 times)

iamanndee

  • Guest
Hi GT's!

I am 32 y/o and been working overseas for 4yrs now. I am currently employed as HR Executive. I am worried that in a year or two, I will be in PH for good and afraid that I may not land a job that will suffice my kids expenses. I am currently earning roughly 90kphp and sending money to PH roughly 30kphp. I am supporting my parents too (who looks after my kids) and sends my youngest brother to college.

I am a single mother and decided to go back in our hometown for good since my kids got no father to look after them (we're separated but not legally). I felt that its time for me to be with my kids as they're growing too fast and I've missed a lot of things about them (they're ages 8 and 6).

I am a graduate of Business Management from an all-girls school and have worked in PH for about 6 years too. I am really not sure if I can still get a job that will support my kids and my parents.


aquacharly

  • Guest
I don't see why not -- if your HR job skills are not easily learned by new grads. Yun Lang naman basehan ng salary rates di ba:  how replaceable is an employee??

Exactly what do you do?  Accurately describe in your resume

And, Teka "hometown" kamo?  How progressive is that hometown?  Remember, "HR" is not a priority department invested in by most companies. 

iamanndee

  • Guest
Hello sis aquacharly!

I'm more on payroll processing, attendance monitoring, paperworks (certs / employment contract issuances, all other adhoc tasks) halos lahat na except sa recruitment tapos apart from being HR Exec, Secretary din ako ng accounting dept head. Bago ako napunta dito, I've worked in BDO sa Head Office nila, nagteller din ako and CSR sa IBM.

Sorry, yung hometown is am referring to Pinas. Talagang napa-praning lang kasi medyo may edad na ako about 34 pagbalik dyan in 2 years time.

joban99

  • Guest
Hi sis, sorry to say, but I dont think youd be able to get the same amount of salary you get abroad. Kasi almost everyone I know who goes back to the Phil from abroad say they dont make as much as they made before. But of course the pay off for them there is that theyre with their family and in their homeland. I dont think youre age is a problem, sometimes for high positions, they look for older people with years of experience. But again getting a high post in the Philippines worth 90k or in that range may be difficult. But this is just my opinion, I may be wrong as I live abroad as well, but I do often check the websites for jobs in the Phil. If you do plan to go home, try to get a mindset that you wont get as much as you like. Try to prepare for a salary of half that and see if its still feasible to go home. If you do get 90k, than thats great and youll have extra cash. But if you dont and only get say about 40-50k, at least youll be prepared for that type of salary and prepared for the expenses of a family lifestyle of 40k/mo. Yes, it really is hard as you're far away from your kids, so only you can really make that decision if youd like to go home and take a pay cut or stay abroad and tiis muna. If you think youd rather stay abroad muna, what you can do is start saving/investing like crazy and make a plan on how long youd need to save to have a big savings or investment. Para pag uwi mo, youll have a few investments or savings that can generate you a passive income aside from the 40k/mo salary you will get from the job youll have in the Phil. Also, in order to stay connected with your kids, just set a regular time every day when you can skype with them so they can feel your love and you can also be able to bring them up indirectly. You may not physically be there, but you can still teach them a lot of great things via skype and they can still feel your love if you skype every day or at least try to skype every day. Anyways, its a big decision and just keep thinking about it and best of luck to you. :)

aquacharly

  • Guest
What  hometown in the Phils are you exactly referring to?
Is it a progressive city where there are a diversity of businesses in operation?

Hwag ka magalit but -- for the tasks and skills you cited:  my company will not pay 90thou --  we own a Triple A Construction company, our projects do not go below 400mio each; our payroll doesn't go below 500thou per week.

The job description you gave -- it's done by 3 people earning 35thou each.  Kasi madami laborers and daily monitoring, and govt requirements.
I will not hire 1 person to replace the 3 -- even if I will save by paying only 90thou for 1 person kasi that's risky for our set-up.
And, well -- the way the tasks are -- not too complicated, not too long training required since we have a customized network for payroll and BIR remittances, SSS etc etc --  there will always be someone who can perform the tasks for much less than 90thou.

The 100thou HR jobs are paid by HR consultancies --- on a per project basis
Where HR work refers to customized training programs, admin manuals, etc.  the higher level HR work
Even multinational companies do not pay 90thou for your job description. 

Kasi ganito yan -- sa dami ng software, readily available techie skill to customize software/program requirements of businesses --  AND the stricter legal and financial govt requirements -- halos de cajon na office work.  I even hire non-accountants for accounting work.  Kahit new grads I hire basta computer literate and does not mind repetitive work.   Wala na halos decision-making kasi.   
(But I pay more now for my lawyers --  who advise us even before we encounter problems, BIR consultants and my external audit company.   Also, pay more for engineers -- an asst engr at our project site already comes in at 80thou - 2 yrs experience pa lang.  Project engineers minimum 120thou plus profit sharing).
Yang attendance monitoring -- mas efficient kasi biometrics log in and out, and CCTVs

If you don't mind, since you are very familiar with your line of work --  be an entrepreneur.
Be like an independent accountant.

Some small companies prefer to outsource their payroll and all the attendant govt requirements thereof.  You can put up your own computerized company and get contracts to serve small businesses.  I don't mean sarisari stores. But small businesses that make say 1mio plus sales per month only.
Perform their other tedious tasks too like  pre-employment requirements checking, preliminary interviews, employment contract preparation, and even 201 File maintenance.  If you charge a very friendly 15thou per month, plus expenses --  contract on an annual basis ha! & demand advance payment -- if you have just even 10 clients -- you still have time for vacations. 


Eto pa -- nag trending na dito IOS cert. Like for the construction industry -- requirement na for license renewal. Inuna kaming Triple A companies, pababa.  There's a list of accredited IOS consultants.  Kaya Ko yan gawin IOS ekek since we have 80percent of the requirements being done anyway. Susko hindi ako accredited. So we pay 150thou for a consultant na ang gawa eh to just give us a list of documentary requirements. Como I would rather concentrate on what brings in projects and the money --  sige, another 150thou to get someone to produce whatever in the IOS formats and non-critical requirements. 

That kind of on a per project basis of work businessmen or mgt does not want to be slowed down by -- mga non-critical to business operations but part of govt red tape na walang katapusan --  that I will pay you even more than 90thou for, but not every month.  Tignan mo din how you can offer a service over and above what a 15-30 employee can deliver.   Dami tech savvy new grads who are just so eager to work, and are aggressive -- there is stiff competition there. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:10:25 pm by aquacharly »

iamanndee

  • Guest
Hello GTs!

Thanks for the inputs. Di naman po ako expecting for a 90kphp salary when working in PH. Some amount that will suffice my family needs, swak na :)

Both of your opinions were useful at talagang makatotohanan. Habang andito pa, ipon muna ako hanggat sa tingin ko kaya ko ng umuwi at mag stay sa atin.  Worried lang kasi were not getting younger and competitions are getting tougher too! Before umuwi pinas, bibili muna ako ng PH Sim dito while applying jobs there. Para if ever na may tatawag pwede.

Salamat ng marami :)

beach_n_sunsets

  • Guest
No. 90k is pang-mid to top managerial position na here sa PH to be honest. Your job description kasi is for independent contributors/staff level. Swerte ka na if based doon sa JD mo eh ma-oofferan ka ng 35k-40k. Best bet mo na ang mga BPO companies na may HR processing dept dito sa Pinas. But then, malayo pa rin sa 90k na sahod mo.

So if babalik ka sa Pinas, apply ka na sa HR managerial position. And like what aquacharly said, consultancy jobs present a good alternative because they're high-paying, albeit a bit hard to find since the competition is stiff.

Not discouraging you sis ha :) Just describing lang the ball game here kumbaga.

cecilydee

  • Guest
When I went back to PH after my 4 yr stint in SG, i tested the water to see my marketability (though its never my intention to go back as I am leaving to Japan for good) The highest that a company can give me (same job as I had in SG) is 32k. This company is also an MNC (same size of company that I have worked for in SG) I was expecting at least 60k pero hindi mabigay as the HR said, nasa pilipinas naman daw ako. I computed my expenses and ang take home money ko nalang is 11k/mo. Wala pang savings niyan. Wala pa akong anak. Walang sinusuportahan. I can save at least 25k back then in Sg. The conclusion I have made? Mahirap makahanap ng work na mas tataas pa except nalang if you work in a US based company doing programming or any IT related job. But the fulfilment that you are going to be with your family is priceless. I think if you save enough jan overseas and open a biz here pwede mopa tapatan ang 90k/mo mo. Provided na booming ang biz na ioppen mo. :)

snowberry

  • Guest
I agree sa mga inputs ng sisses natin about HR salary. Some big companies with tall org structure na may VP HR  ( tapos Managers under him/her for each HR functions) , possible nasa 75k  pero usually very much experienced na sila  , at may MBA .

Kung ako sa iyo, konting tiis muna . Saang country ka ba based? Kung malapit lang naman, then dalasan mo na lang pag bakasyon para naman makita mo rin family mo madalas.  Tutal marami naman airline promo nowadays.

iamanndee

  • Guest
Hello Sis!

Sa Singapore ako ngayon. Minsan talaga naho-homesick sis kaya naiisipang umuwi. Lalo na pg kausap ko ang kids and they would ask me to just go home to be with them. Tama, as a single mom need magtiis at magipon for their future. Salamat sa mga point of views ninyo, talagang its not yet time to go back in PH for good.

Kailangan pang mag ipon talaga.

cecilydee

  • Guest
Aw oo nakaka homesick talaga ang singapore...its near sa ph yet so far hehe..i have several housemates before na same ang struggle and all of them believes that kahit na mahirap kakayanin nila kasi hindi talaga mapapantayan sa ngyon ang sweldo na narereceive nila sa pinas...hay reality sa ating bansa talaga...

astarte

  • Guest
Sis iamanndee, If 30k pesos pinapadala mo sa pinas sis out of 90k pay mo in SG, meaning naka out na dyan ang cost of living in SG so net remittance mo na sa pinas ang 30k tama ba? I guess yung 50k gross pay na jobs ang dapat na hahanapin mo sa pinas para maachieve ang 30k net mo. If 90k kasi for the same position man or even higher tapos dito sa pinas mahirap nga talaga unless yun nga top positions and with MBA, etc. Dito naman kasi satin kung di ka nagrerent ng bahay mas madali maka survive. 4 + years din ako nagwork sa KL naman though ibang LOB, sa IT industry naman ako, so pag uwi ko ng pinas usually yung job offer okay naman kasi kahit mas mababa man, iniisip ko na lang na at least dito bahay namin talaga vs. almost 15k pesos monthly rent and utilities na binabayaran ko sa room abroad. Gross pay ko kasi dun 60k then minus rent, utilities, food, transpo allowance, napapadala ko din sa pinas 30k monthly malinis na yun. Yung mga naapplyan ko dito sa pinas, may nagbibigay ng j.o. na gross 35, 40, 45 max so far pero sobrang okay na din kasi may bahay kami at wala ng rent pay monthly.

iamanndee

  • Guest
Yes sis. Bale may naitabi na akong 15kphp sa PH Bank ko, 45kphp lahat went for PH.

Hirap lang talaga sis pag malayo sa mga kids, dami ko ng namiss sa early childhood nila. Pag umuuwi, saglit lang din at max na siguro ang 10days. Tiis tiis lang talaga lalo na ngayon enrollment na naman next month.

17glut

  • Guest
^^taas naman ng sahod, naka P2 ka siguro noh teh?  :-*

iamanndee

  • Guest
^^taas naman ng sahod, naka P2 ka siguro noh teh?  :-*

Hindi po, sakto lang sa pangangailangan ng pamilya sir. Ang minimum na ng EP since 2014 ay S$4,000 na.

astarte

  • Guest
^ ayun lang sis may trade offs talaga e pag nag aabroad ka :(

Tiis ka lang muna dyan sis kasi on top pala ng 30k mo may 15k ka pa na extra for your personal savings. Malaki nga yan. Malapit lang naman ang SG parang KL lang din, dalasan mo na lang uwi mo hehe.

^^ kung akin lang sahod ko siguro nga ganyan na sana haha! Nagagamit din sa family e hehe! Lalo na nung kinasal few months back. Lol. Tara, abroad na! :-D

17glut

  • Guest
^ay oo nabalitaan ko nga yan, bago ako nag for good nung 2013 binalita din na dapat locals muna before justified kumuha ng foreigner... pataas na ng pataas ang quota at conditions, kahit mga employer na lokal napapailing na rin.

iamanndee

  • Guest
Congrats sis astarte sa wedding! Tama sis, after kong mabasa mga opinions nyo, mag stay pa muna ako hanggat makaipon ng sapat na amount at makauwi pinas. Hanggat di na siguro ako pwedeng magwork dito :)

17glut

  • Guest
^ang lakaran lang naman talaga sa sg is hanggat nabibigyan ka ng pass tuloy lang  ;D

astarte

  • Guest
Salamat sis. May limit ba ng renewal ang pass dyan sis? If yes, pwede rin imaximize mo na rin kung hanggang ilan renew / years pa pwede. All the best! :)

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close