watch now

Author Topic: Should I Accept this First Job Offer or Wait for Others  (Read 3324 times)

freelancer_babe

  • Guest
Should I Accept this First Job Offer or Wait for Others
« on: March 12, 2015, 08:12:39 am »
I hope someone replies to this ASAP.

Kasi I am into applying jobs at the moment. I applied to a lot and there probably two or three na mukhang OK ang interview ko. One of them is in a rush for me to get hired... AKA job offer na agad. The company that offered me a job offer first is a small US-based company, staff seems fun to be with, boss seemed cool. My skills is the right fit and I do have the time. Kaya lang super urgent daw ang position, so they want to fill that position right away. They do want a yes or no right away sa job offer nila. I was actually pressured last night to informally accept it.

On the other hand, I am waiting for results from others. There's this one na malaki ang company na ito (yes, famous) and have really good training benefit (yes, it'll be cool sa resume). On the final interview, mukhang ok ang takbo nito as I was discussed about the benefits of working with this huge company. However, I find their recruitment process really slow (as the headhunter who found me mentioned) - their initial interview was roughly last month pa, then I got notice of the final phone interview just last week, and I still do not have feedback to this date. Should I choose this company, then it'll really look nice sa resume ko. But I have yet to meet the people here, kasi puro phone interviews ang ginawa nila.

And then there is this overseas opportunity for me to work in Japan. Actually interview ko sa kanila mamaya - final interview. I have yet to know yung details ng job and maybe the job offer later. (Let's assume that the recruitment agency is legal, as they are listed with POEA).

Aside from the two above, I have applied to others and have gotten interviews na rin to the final stage. It's possible na baka may mag-job offer sa kanila.

What makes it difficult in my current situation is that, medyo ilang months na rin akong walang income because of all the preparations I need sa mga job hunts ko and have incurred debt, so I badly need the money. So far ang dami kong interviews that are getting to the final stages, but I seem to have problems impressing the big boss (talagang mga owners/CTO/CEO na kausap ko).

I am thinking of accepting the offer at the small company, then resign if this large company really gives a nice package. Pero tingin ko hindi ethical gawin ito. But at least I'm earning na.

If I decline the offer from that small company, then I worry baka umandar pa rin ang panahon na wala pa rin akong job offer. Baka di rin lang ako na-consider doon sa big company (big company can have so many applicants) and that overseas opportunity (which can have many applicants rin).

What do you think mga sis? Pinepressure na talaga ako ng small company to accept their offer and start right away. Pwede ko ba talagang accept, work then resign agad if in case maganda nga sa ibang inapplyan ko?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 08:15:34 am by freelancer_babe »

ohcmon

  • Guest
Re: Should I Accept this First Job Offer or Wait for Others
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 09:30:45 am »
Ginawa ko na 'yang accept a job offer I didn't really like, but I had no choice to accept since jobless ako at the time. Nung nag-offer sa'kin 'yung talagang gusto ko, I resigned in a short notice. One month lang ako nagstay dun sa unang company. It wasn't ethical, and I'm not proud of what I did, but I did what I thought was best for me.

If I were you, I would accept the job offer. Mainam nang sigurado kang may trabaho kesa naghihintay ka sa offer na hindi ka sure kelan darating, saka from what you said mukhang okay naman 'yung company and eager to hire you. Who knows if you'd like the company in the long run, edi mas okay.

Girltalker2

  • Guest
Re: Should I Accept this First Job Offer or Wait for Others
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 10:46:46 am »
Hi sis freelance babe! Hope all is well. Buti ka pa at least may offer na. I would look at it kasi sa situation mo.

When I started to apply for jobs, I shunned away smaller companies. But as my months of being unemployed gets prolonged, that's the time I'm starting to consider them. If you are desperate enough to get a job ASAP, tanggapin mo na yung small company. If ever di mag push through yung big company, at least you have work.

However, if mag push through yung big company, you just have to make sure maayos ang pag turn over mo at assure them that once you resign after a short stint, di mo lang iiwan sila basta basta. Huwag ka mawawala nang parang bula or awol :))

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:52:54 pm by Girltalker2 »

lovely_carrot

  • Guest
Re: Should I Accept this First Job Offer or Wait for Others
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 03:48:32 pm »
If I were in your shoes, I'd accept the first offer, it doesn't sound so bad naman benefits wise. It may be a bit unethical to resign so soon esp when you know ahead of time na may plano or possibility na lumipat ka ng ibang company but it doesn't matter. Unless there's a bond, the company cannot withhold you from resigning.

In all my decisions re job/career, I always go with my gut feel. So far, never pa ako nagkamali. Pray for guidance too. :)

freelancer_babe

  • Guest
Re: Should I Accept this First Job Offer or Wait for Others
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 08:01:27 am »
Thanks ohcmon, girltalker2 and lovely_carrot for your responses!

This got me thinking for an entire day yesterday. Kasi kinagabihan nun, I felt that I have to make a decision. But I was still trying to stall that decision. Di lang kasi ako mapusok.

I was honest to the HR that I am still waiting for results, as there were final interviews that seemed to be ok. Baka yun na ang mag-job offer. One notable interview was that of a huge BPO company, which I learned na maganda ang benefits nila and that they are really into developing people (something that startups won't do, you're basically on your own sa mga startups). then other is an overseas one where there are few candidates. However, I made clear that they are the only ones who had made the job offer, the others wala pa.

The overseas one is difficult, as have that language barrier. Because of that hindi ko talaga naintindihan ng husto ang tungkol sa company at sa job nila.

Girltalker2: My skill (I'm in IT - software development) is more in demand in smaller companies (startups). However big companies are catching up because of market demand and they're also trying to compete with these smaller companies. So ganun lang talaga ang reality ng profession ko. I learned all these through interviews on those final interview with the big bosses.

ohcmon: Yun ang guilt feeling. The ethics. Aside from that I worry about background checks especially those coming from big companies. Baka yan ang magbreak sa future applications.

soulsister: The practical side of me tells me also to accept it. In a way it will cut my financial losses na rin.

lovely_carrot: I read the contract but didn't sign it yet. There's no bond! Yay!

ohcmon

  • Guest
Re: Should I Accept this First Job Offer or Wait for Others
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 08:27:25 am »
^ You can opt to not include naman the smaller company in your resume if you did choose to accept it and resign afterwards, hehe.

freelancer_babe

  • Guest
Re: Should I Accept this First Job Offer or Wait for Others
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 10:04:22 am »
^ And that will not appear with any background checks of future potential employers?

ohcmon

  • Guest
Re: Should I Accept this First Job Offer or Wait for Others
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 12:05:10 pm »
^ I think the basis of these background checks is only what's in your resume, so kung hindi mo siya nilagay, I don't think potential employers would have a way of knowing you were affiliated with this company for a brief period of time.

j.adore

  • Guest
Re: Should I Accept this First Job Offer or Wait for Others
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 05:41:29 pm »
Hehe you're the type of applicant that I would not hire. No matter how skilled you are, if you can't show commitment, that's a red flag.

Don't go company hopping. If you will pay taxes in the small company and they provide usual benefits like SSS PhilHealth PAGIBIG, there's a paper trail even if it's just 1 month. You cannot hide it and there's the 201 file. It will definitely state your performance.

I suggest you take a step back and figure out what you really want. Big fish in a small pond or small fish in a big pond?
What's your priority? Salary? training? travel?

Choose long term. Which company do you see yourself in for 5 years?

freelancer_babe

  • Guest
Re: Should I Accept this First Job Offer or Wait for Others
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 06:13:55 pm »
Don't go company hopping. If you will pay taxes in the small company and they provide usual benefits like SSS PhilHealth PAGIBIG, there's a paper trail even if it's just 1 month. You cannot hide it and there's the 201 file. It will definitely state your performance.

That's actually my worry.

The company to work for can know about the previous employers like the SSS, Philhealth, PAGIBIG if they choose to?

Can my potential employer peek at the 201 file that I submitted to my past employers?

I suggest you take a step back and figure out what you really want. Big fish in a small pond or small fish in a big pond?
What's your priority? Salary? training? travel?

Choose long term. Which company do you see yourself in for 5 years?

I always prefer larger companies over small ones. But in my current situation the small companies are the ones providing plenty of opportunities. The big companies rarely offer those job opportunities - in fact they are playing catch up because these small companies already made the plunge.

I think I have not been clear to the complication of the problem I am having. I may have several choices to choose from alright, but this job hunting activity is becoming an expense for me. I have not worked in a while and can't accept part time/temporary jobs at the moment as I do not want to be committed to a deadline while applying jobs. Plus I've relocated too, so that adds up to the expense.

Long term, I'd rather enter either management level or be a leading expert in my skill. But, as of the moment I have to address all the financial issues first.

Hehe you're the type of applicant that I would not hire. No matter how skilled you are, if you can't show commitment, that's a red flag.

I do have that show commitment once I am in, but I would not like to work at a company who undervalues my skills, have a vague idea on which direction their company would like to take, have projects that don't interest me, do not have permit to do business, among others.

All the companies I am considering have very interesting projects that I would like to get my hands with. The big company offers a lot of extra benefits you would not find in a small company; the small company seemed to have fun people to work with; and the overseas one - of course, may have lots of extras too, plus it makes it easier to avail of the benefits offered by banks (easier to avail business loans, better interest rates, etc).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 06:15:52 pm by freelancer_babe »

j.adore

  • Guest
Re: Should I Accept this First Job Offer or Wait for Others
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 07:10:11 pm »
Sorry I'll put all caps because I'm using my phone right now.

The company to work for can know about the previous employers like the SSS, Philhealth, PAGIBIG if they choose to?

IT'S NOT A MATTER OF CHOOSING. IT'S A REQUIREMENT UPON CHANGE OF EMPLOYER BECAUSE THEY WILL TAKE ON THE TASKS FROM YOUR PREVIOUS COMPANY.

Can my potential employer peek at the 201 file that I submitted to my past employers?

IT'S AN HR INTERNAL FILE THAT IS PASSED FROM ONE EMPLOYER TO ANOTHER. NO EMPLOYEE HAS EVER OR SHOULD SEE HIS OR HER OWN FILE.

I always prefer larger companies over small ones. But in my current situation the small companies are the ones providing plenty of opportunities. The big companies rarely offer those job opportunities - in fact they are playing catch up because these small companies already made the plunge.

I think I have not been clear to the complication of the problem I am having. I may have several choices to choose from alright, but this job hunting activity is becoming an expense for me. I have not worked in a while and can't accept part time/temporary jobs at the moment as I do not want to be committed to a deadline while applying jobs. Plus I've relocated too, so that adds up to the expense.

Long term, I'd rather enter either management level or be a leading expert in my skill. But, as of the moment I have to address all the financial issues first.

I do have that show commitment once I am in, but I would not like to work at a company who undervalues my skills, have a vague idea on which direction their company would like to take, have projects that don't interest me, do not have permit to do business, among others.

All the companies I am considering have very interesting projects that I would like to get my hands with. The big company offers a lot of extra benefits you would not find in a small company; the small company seemed to have fun people to work with; and the overseas one - of course, may have lots of extras too, plus it makes it easier to avail of the benefits offered by banks (easier to avail business loans, better interest rates, etc).

I think you're more inclined on the big company but your immediate option is the one with offer already.

If it was me, I'll take the offer. Suck it up for 2 years (it's short and fast). Then start applying in big companies again.

Omg, that is my history nga! Haha I stayed for 2 years to get experience then running on almost a decade in my next and current company.
My mom is in HR so yeah she's the one who taught me and when I look at my parent's CVS, the shortest stay they have in a company is 5 years.

I'm not saying nobody will hire you if you are a meantime employee but it is very bad reputation visible at management level.

freelancer_babe

  • Guest
Re: Should I Accept this First Job Offer or Wait for Others
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 07:30:00 pm »
^ In my experience almost all employers asked me to submit photocopies of my transcript, commendations, trainings, etc... those stuff in the 201 file. Looks like it's not really being passed from one employer to another.

But yeah, staying in a company in 2 years is considered long enough these days. However, I am not getting younger (I'm approaching 40s) so I would like to get to a more stable and better company fast. Not to mention I am in the IT field where I have to compete with younger people 10 years younger than I am. So that adds up to the complication I guess.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 07:32:07 pm by freelancer_babe »

freelancer_babe

  • Guest
Re: Should I Accept this First Job Offer or Wait for Others
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 04:12:57 pm »
Time to update this thread.

And so I got a call from big company and their offer turned out to be way huge than my current one. It is a bit more than twice my current job, not including the extra extra benefits that they have.

How high? My current salary is a comfortable one in which I could definitely save up. But this big company will probably make me rich and think twice about going abroad. I do hope they are an ROHQ company so I pay less taxes.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 04:17:29 pm by freelancer_babe »

Girltalker2

  • Guest
Re: Should I Accept this First Job Offer or Wait for Others
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 09:15:00 pm »

^ congrats sis!!! So happy for you!

So natanggap mo ba yung small company? Or di na?

freelancer_babe

  • Guest
Re: Should I Accept this First Job Offer or Wait for Others
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 09:55:45 am »
^Ang tagal kasi ni big company mag-offer, kaya ayun, kay small company ako nahire agad.

I think I will plan my exit now... I need to pass the medical and background checks and whatever para sa big company. Mukhang it'll take time rin.

SweetheartD+C

  • Guest
Re: Should I Accept this First Job Offer or Wait for Others
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 02:21:35 pm »
Same situation. I've been planning to resign from my current job. I had few interviews. Yung una kong inapplyan Ok naman. As I can see, mukhang OK [textspeak!] benefits. Kaso until now, waiting padin akong sa schedule ng final interview. Ang tagal ng hiring process nila. [textspeak!] second company naman, ang bilis lang. 1 day hiring process then after more than 1 week job offer na.

Ayos naman yung offer. May tax shield, and other benefits upon regularization. Although, tinanggap ko na sya, gusto ko padin malaman kung OK din ba yung offer dun sa una kong inapplyan. Sana tumawag na hehe.

I'm thinking now what if matanggap din ako sa una kong inapplyan? Pareho naman silang malapit yung work place.
 ;D

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close