Author Topic: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?  (Read 4127 times)

patriciaheart

  • Guest
This past week, me and my husband have been fighting. From simple things lang nag spark, its really taking its toll on me. Some times I wish that I married somebody else or heck,, not married at all. I know its not just me who is feeling this way, but I have arrived to a thinking na, My goodness he brings out the worst in me! I shout, I cry, create drama, nag, think of destroying things etc etc When with other people I feel inspired and kind. I don't have  a 3rd party ha, what I meant by other people bringing the best in me is like,, my sister, and my kid. They inspire me to read, learn, make myself healthy etc etc so I can take care of them better or as for my sister, inspire her to reach her dreams. Hinde ko alam bakit ganun ako sa husband ko, I think its all my fault na nga eh. -- There are things we say when we are angry that we don't really mean pero grabe bakit pa kasi dapat umabot sa ganoon. I think I am abusing myself by living/thinking like this. Mga sis I need your advice. Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:00:49 am by patriciaheart »

Girltalker2

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 01:11:21 pm »

Sa isang committed relationship, I think it is important for both of you to evaluate your relationship every so often - para alam nyo ano ang mga good things na puede nyo i-continue  at what are the areas you both need for improvement.  Since both of you want it to last, both should somehow make that effort to make it more meaningful for both if you.

It all starts with good communication. kung tingin mo nagkukulang ang partner mo dun, why not start it from you. Siguro naman looking back, you had some good times, so kahit papano you can recall what you guys had na wala ngayon.

Ma-pinpoint mo ba what triggers your inis? Baka sa case nyo, baka lang ha, naging sobrang complacent na kayo sa isa't isa nakalimutan nyo na alagaan ang relationship nyo.


glamorosa_09

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 05:38:27 pm »
Hi patricia,

Yung feeling mo na your fights are taking a toll on you, this past week mo lang ba yan nararamdaman or you feel that way all throughout your married life?

Yung big fights nyo over small things, does it happen occasionally or it's a pattern/cycle in your relationship? And who makes a BIG deal out of it, is it you or him?

You said it's your fault na nag-aaway kayo ng ganito, does he tell you it's always your fault or ikaw lang nakakaramdam sa sarili mo? If it's coming from you, what made you think that way?

Sorry so many questions. You may just ignore it if you don't feel like answering them.

Reading your post, it seems like you're beginning to abhor the person that you're becoming. Looks like you know yourself as a different person, but when it comes to your husband, nag-iiba ka. Fights or arguments are normal in a marriage, especially with new couples, but I'm wondering if it's just a phase in your marriage (either bago pa lang kayo/may pinagdadaanang stressful ang isa sa inyo) OR something is different from normal in your relationship OR baka ngayon mo lang nafifeel yan especially angry mood ka.

cecilydee

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 06:38:22 pm »
Sis why ka sobrang galit? If its simple lang do you really think its worth it to say "I will kill myself" to someone especially to your husband? Choose your words and your tone din when you talk to him. That might be triggering your endless fights. And you say he brings out the worst in you, in what circumstance? Does he have a bad addiction like drinking? Drugs? If you are referring to your behaviour as the one making you "worst" then sis dont you think you are more in control of this rather than putting the blame to your husband?

glamorosa_09

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 09:07:08 pm »
Ah I see, you're still at an early stage of your marriage, yet you sound really tired; even to the point of feeling and believing that your husband is bringing out the worst in you. So I was initially wondering if there is a vicious pattern in your relationship, but with your answers, wala naman.

As a husband, mukhang ok naman sya since you mentioned na he is a good provider and father. But of course, imperfect. Ganun lang, imperfect, may weaknesses, but not necessarily making him a BAD person.

But I guess with your reply, opposite yung personalities niyo. Parang you're the assertive type, sya yung medyo laid-back; ikaw yung may stronger personality, sya yung milder; parang ikaw yung mabilis kumilos, sya yung babagal-bagal; ikaw yung may mas forethought, sya yung come-what-may type. Parang lang.

Since nasa early stage pa lang kayo ng relationship, yung weariness mo baka dahil sa hindi ka pa nakakapag-adjust sa total difference nyo. And medyo nakakaloka yung sobrang different kayo, pero hindi mo alam na ganun lang talaga kayo, sobrang different from each other.

I guess, it would be helpful kung pag-aaralan mong mabuti yung personality nya. Know his weaknesses, learn to accept it. Find out his strengths, learn to appreciate it. Sabi mo nga yung applaude him. Kaya lang nung sinabi mong, "mapapahiya naman sya kung pati dun mali mali diba," hindi ka naman perfectionist nyan or nagiging critical?

As for the consideration that you're asking from him, an open communication will do. Yung walang halong hot-temper. Madali ka bang mainis/mairita/mabadtrip? If you are, talagang masusubok yung patience mo sa intimate relationship, lalo na kung opposite ng personality mo yung kasama mo habambuhay, at di mo pa naaccept yung weakness nya.

cecilydee

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 10:39:47 am »
Sis yung two instances mo (review center and EK) could have been handled well by you but you choose to be taken over by your anger thats why the result is another dent into your relationship na naman. I dont 100% blame you sis ha and Lord knows how bad tempered I am as well with my husband but I am very thankful to have a husband who forgives easily (for belittling him) and tries to improve himself (for being immature at some instance) but since you are here to express yourself, I guess its your way of wanting to change. Kaya lets start the change in you kasi iyan lang macocontrol mo eh...

Sis you are his wife and your role is to support him and encourage him. Please remember your role. It doesnt hurt to be submissive sometimes.  May ways na maging submissive na hindi masydo naagrabyado ang pagkababae mo. Now you say sweet talking doesnt work but being quiet does. So next time you want to burst, be quiet muna and relax.

Pareho pa kayong nag aadjust sa marriage eh. Help each other then. He is not yet there kasi nga may pagka immature pa. Cook delish food for him, bring him baon etc. do act of kindness. Express to him softly that you needed his help also to salvage your relationship para hindi rin naman abusuhin ang pananahimik mo. Lol.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 10:44:51 am by cecilydee »

patriciaheart

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 11:42:06 am »
Hi mga sis thanks sa reply, true mga sinabi nyo lalo na yung kailangan pag aralan ko talaga ang personality nya. I do feel guilty that I belittle him, hinde lang talaga parehas personality namin. Pag may  kailangan pag decisionan ng mabilis, hinde puede pa laid back laid back, siguro ang iniisip ko kasi is the male stereotype na sya ang mag gguide sa relationship namin, leader ganun. I guess it will develop into that and it will be up to me to help him be like that. Sabi nung Madre na nakausap ko one time and told her my story, may issues si husband na kailangan nyang I overcome (sibling rivalry, being the black sheep etc) and I am here to help him, siguro kailangan ko ipa intindi sknya na instead of working against each other we have to be in the same team. *** akala nya makakatulong na ipag mukhan nyang ang galing galing nya at my expense.*** man o man I felt really bad.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:45:00 pm by patriciaheart »

glamorosa_09

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 01:19:24 pm »
I see... so more or less, alam mo kung pano nadevelop yung personality ng husband mo, aware ka sa familial environment na kinalakihan nya. Siguro, he grew up na walang naniniwala sa kanya, he grew up not knowing what he's really good at, he grew up not knowing what he's worth is. Kung magbigay ng atensyon ang mga magulang nya, tuwing may mga mali lang syang ginagawa. So I suggest, mas maganda if this kind of environment will not be repeated sa marriage and family nyo.

What I suggest is not to change him, but understand him. Magsimula kang hanapin yung strengths nya, then iappreciate mo, and ipoint out mo sa kanya. Focus on his strengths and letting him know them, so that his strengths will slowly grow sa ibang aspects ng character nya. Lumaki syang hindi appreciated, so for sure, uhaw na uhaw sa appreciation and admiration yan. You need not talk him into anything, na dapat ganito kayo, dapat ganito. Diligan mo lang sya ng understanding mo, paarawan ng appreciation, lagyan mo ng admiration yung mga positive qualities nya. And like a plant, mag-gogrow yun.

Mukhang pareho ng background husbands natin. Pero ibang-iba na husband ko ngayon. Ako naman kasi, I saw a diamond in him, only it was ragged and rough. Hindi nakita yun ng mga tao sa paligid nya. So I just cleaned it and treated it with the things I mentioned above, and voila, that ragged diamond is now shining and sparkling. And gulat family nya.

For sure may nakita ka ring maganda sa husband mo, kaya mo sya pinakasalan. :)

Also, to add... may mga weaknesses pa rin yung husband mo kahit mag-surface yung mga hidden strengths nya, just like you have your own weaknesses. So mas maganda, if you will complement each other. Complement ng strengths mo yung weaknesses nya, and vice versa. This is one way of working as a team. Kaya ayun, study his personality and your personality na rin :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:11:28 pm by glamorosa_09 »

patriciaheart

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 12:36:46 am »
Thank you sis sa advice, I will keep that in mind and control my mouth,,instead of spewing acid siguro I will keep quiet, go to another room etc and sow appreciation . I edited some info out kasi medyo personal yung cuento,, I really appreciate that we have this forum. :)

Galaxy pad

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 04:30:16 pm »
We're on the same boat...  He actually gets jealous with how I treat my siblings... he thinks that I neglect him... when I do not.  He curses me, while I don't.  Parang I'm getting used to what he tells me na lang para di na ako masaktan.  When in fact, he treats his friends more than siblings... but when it comes to mine, he always makes it something to argue about... I'm about to give up... 13 years have been long enough for me...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 05:17:16 pm by mama squeak! »

princessyuri

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 10:09:56 am »
Hindi pa kami umabot sa point na nagsisigawan kami pero maraming times na nakakapagbitaw AKO ng masasakit na salita dahil narin sa reaction ni hubby. Madalas hindi na lang ako makapaniwala na kahit tagalog naman ang explanations ko and maliwanag pa sa sikat ng araw, hindi niya maintindihan. Marami akong nagawa na hindi ko inexpect na kaya ko pa lang gawin mostly negative. May times na naiisip ko LOVE PA BA ITO? I remember kasi before noong bago pa ang relationship namin sabi ng HR namin, malaki daw changes sa akin, nakangiti daw ako lagi, mas madaling kausapin hindi na mataray, etc. Pero after namin ikasal, sa tulong narin ng magagaling kong biyenan, everyday gusto ko iyakan ang buhay na napasok ko. Like I've said marami ako nagawa na negative na narealized ko so kahit noon pa man, I wanted to end the relationship na lang kasi I was scared na baka kapag tumagal pa, makasakit na ako ng tao or something like that kasi ramdam ko iyong ngitngit galit gigil asar halo halo dito sa dibdib ko. Finally, nakaalis din ako, mas magaan ang buhay, mas tahimik, mas masaya kaya lang, habang tumatagal na hindi kami magkasama ni hubby, parang unti unti narin nawawala ang pagmamahal ko sa kaniya iyong tipong mabubuhay na ako kahit wala siya. We still see each other, dinadalaw niya kami minsan twice a month. 

happybee$$$

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 11:50:48 am »
Yes. Used to be masungit, super career-oriented na tipong I would do everything to achieve the highest position in the company kahit na pati Linggo work pa din ako. Pero nung naging kami tinuruan niya ako to enjoy my life, chill a little and yet mas marami pa akong naaachieve. Naging masayahin ako at grateful everday. Workaholic pa din sa business and career pero he always gives me the balance I need. He always make sure na masaya ako and always start my day with a good laugh. Kahit na nung nagsisimula pa lang kami at medyo hirap, happy disposition pa din siya. Always supportive sa mga pinapasok ko at naniniwala siya sa galing ko at proud siya to introduce me to his friends and officemates kahit na sa presidente pa ng kumpanya nila . Most importantly, mas naging spiritual ako because of him. He is very humble, simple, positive and yet super smart!

Cat Meaw

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 01:53:28 am »
Yes

Best of me kapag peaceful kami, madami akong gimiks na naiisip eh, ako lagi ang nagpa plan sa mga out of town trips namin before. Kumbaga ang role ng lalake ako gumagawa, siya lagi sinu surprise ko etc. Kailangan ko pa sabihin sa kaniya na dapat ma surprise niya rin ako.

Worst of me - Kapag shempre nag-aaway meron hindi pinagkakasunduan. Middle child ako, so wala akong kakampi habang lumalaki ako, with that I just depend on myself, wala akong pakialam sa ibang tao. I'am not a Gemini, according to my husband meron akong swtich button, kapag magka away kami na tu-turn on ang side ko na walang paki-alam, manhid, bato, mag-iiyak siya hindi ko maramdaman ang  sinasabi niya, noong times na pinag buhatan ako ng kamay hindi ko pinapakitang nasasaktan ako, lumalaban ako. And it will took me days to switch back to being, malambing.

Minsan mahirap I handle kasi kapag umabot na ako sa point na walang paki-alam wala talaga, it is my way of self defense I think. I'am doing my best to manage this one.

aquacharly

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 09:58:52 am »
Do not blame him for bringing out the worst in you.
Following your responses to the astute probings of the others here -- it appears you misplaced your kindness when dealing with your husband.  See, we should have our best manners in place when dealing with family. 

Yes, as others see it:  you 2 have a vicious cycle/script.  Try to find out soon what it is that's gnawing at you.  Something is unsettling you, and you do not want to acknowledge it or are  unable to express it --  so your frustration explodes into words that demean and wound.  Or, could it be Misplaced Aggression? Step back further to determine what triggers you into that lose-lose script. Then try to express it in a non-confrontational positive way so that your husband can work alongside you to resolve the issue. 

What I have observed:  as long as Kindness & Respect exist in a relationship, anything can be survived. 

erza0916

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 01:10:03 pm »
I don't know. Is being understanding, apologetic, and mapagkumbaba as in wala nanv pride a good thing?

aquacharly

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 10:00:48 am »
^ not necessarily good or bad. It depends on the context, or circumstances.
IMO, it's not like the universal straightforward "bads":  murder, child/spouse abuse --  mga ganon.

Understanding is not a bad thing.  It leads to other good things like empathy, patience, forgiveness, etc

Being apologetic, if sincere, or done to diffuse an explosive situation (to give the raging party time to breathe & think & control himself/herself to start thinking clearly) --   ought to be a good thing, or astuteness at the least.

Ang pag-kumbaba, if I got it right as meaning being humble, IMO, is good too.
Is it the opposite of kahambugan or  righteousness?  Then, pag kumbaba is good.

But if all that is put within the context of being part of the repertoire of an abused person -- then, it may not be good. 
In which case, IMO, "understanding" = denial;  "apologetic" = victim behavior, and "pag kumbaba" = shades of defeat/hopelessness.

But what do I know anyway?



« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:02:41 am by aquacharly »

erza0916

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 10:18:56 am »
Hmmm "understanding" like nagttry tingnan yung side nya.. putting one's self in the other's shoes para malaman kung bakit ganon ang behaviour nya..kung bakit ginawa nya yung ginawa nya..good or bad.

Apologetic as in "it doesn't matter who's right or wrong..I value our relationship more than my ego"

Mapagkumbaba or humble.. accepting defeat kahit alam mo sa sarili mong tama ka ayaw mo lang mag talo pa kayo.. or knowing that your idea is better pero letting them have their way to make them feel good about themselves and not to step on their pride?

quinone

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 10:27:14 am »
^being humble is different from wala nang self-esteem. your first and second paragraph to me tama naman, pero sa third...parang sobra naman yung words na "accepting defeat"? why not compromise? kasi if you let your partner have his/her own way, baka magkasisihan or magka-resentment.

Girltalker2

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 11:35:39 am »
Hmmm "understanding" like nagttry tingnan yung side nya.. putting one's self in the other's shoes para malaman kung bakit ganon ang behaviour nya..kung bakit ginawa nya yung ginawa nya..good or bad.

Understanding goes both ways, at least sa pagkakaalam ko. It is seeing from your pov too, di lang pov nya. Alangan naman lagi kang misunderstood tapos ok lang?


Apologetic as in "it doesn't matter who's right or wrong..I value our relationship more than my ego"

Mapagkumbaba or humble.. accepting defeat kahit alam mo sa sarili mong tama ka ayaw mo lang mag talo pa kayo.. or knowing that your idea is better pero letting them have their way to make them feel good about themselves and not to step on their pride?


It depends kasi kung values na ang pinag uusapan. Sabi nga ni sis aquacharley if it is in the perspective of being abused, hindi na sya tama. Pero kung petty things lang, can just let it go.






erza0916

  • Guest
Re: Does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? How do you deal?
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 12:42:34 pm »
So ang question eh does your husband bring out the best or worst in you? Are those traits considered good or bad in a relationship?

Hmmm I think those are traits born from bad situations.. since silang tatlo eh lumalabas lang sakin pag nagaaway or may misunderstanding or argument..right?
Sa case ni TS, she believes her husband brings about her bad side, like crying, screaming, being violent and whatnot..PAG nag aaway sila. Oo pag nagaaway kami umiiyak din ako syempre pero mas dominant yang tatlong yan sakin.. I don't talk back, I've never cussed at him, I just clam up and take the beating, figuratively. So is that good or bad?

Under normal circumstances naman, yea I believe he brings out the best in me..pag Ok kami, masaya..he pushes me to be good and do good.. when I see him work so hard it inspires me to cook something special for him..cater to him when he's had a long day. Pero diba norm naman yun? Lahat tayo maiinspire kung ok ang lahat. Walang challenge.

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close