I've started watching forevermore during vacation. Hehe. Kasi hit sa Baguio, at taga-Baguio pa naman ako.
And since I am a local, I have noticed that the show has their share of hits and misses.
Hit:
- Joey Marquez and Liza Soberano could really pass as locals. Liza Soberano has nice fair skin which is consistent to the complexion of the Ibalois (maputi sila mostly).
- They got the strawberry transpo right. Yung mga sasakyan na malalaki ang clearance ang typical na ginagamit talaga ng mga farmers doon.
- One recent episode nailed the Agnes's blanket right. Yun ang gamit ng mga Baguio locals.
Miss:
- Baguio locals don't always wear thick jackets, sweaters and mittens all the time unlike what the show portrays. It could seriously be hot on a midday. The only time it gets seriously cold in Baguio is at night time during the months of December, January and February. (I'm sure everyone in the set felt hot in the midday but still have to wear those layers of clothes for the show).
- Typical squatter homes/poor homes don't have lots of Igorot decos like that of Agnes's home. Mga turista/mayayaman/business owners na gusto ang cordillera theme ang mahilig mga ganitong decos as majority of these are made for tourist memorabilia.
- Agnes's Ilocano comes with a softer accent. The typical Ilocano dialect in the Cordillera (and especially that of the Igorot/Ibaloi one have "harder" accents. Hers sounds much more like those coming from Ilocos region.
- Yung character ng kambal na actresses doon are "noisy" for a Baguio local. Baguio people are typically quiet people rather than noisy types, so their characters don't accurately reflect the behavior of Baguio settlers.
- Those bikes. Bike is
not a typical means of transportation in Baguio. You have to be really physically conditioned to ride a bike up the mountains. The terrain is seriously a challenge. Puro mga hobbyists that are into mountain biking ang nagba-bike sa Baguio + those kids in the Burnham park. I don't know why the show picked bikes. Maybe the fact that Baguio residents are happier going to one place to another with the jeepneys doesn't make it show-appealing.
What I like:
- Bangky. I love his tandem with Superman.
- Their de-tulak na strawberry transpo. I seriously wished sana tumagal ang transpo na yun. Sadly the Superman destroyed it in an earlier episode.
- The storyline in general. Love the little twists in the so far while maintaining the kilig factor.
- And yes, Baguio's pine trees is always a lovely sight.
^^ how to go to "La Presa" from Baguio? Parang gusto ko din magbigay-pugay next month at makita si Bangky. Hahaha.
A borderline OT question though, but I'll describe it anyway. That place is in Mt Sto. Tomas/Cabuyao sis. There's a road along Marcos Highway (na dinadaan normally ng mga big major bus liners) na papunta sa Green Valley. Then along the way you could ask people along the way on how to get to "La Presa" hehe. I am assuming that you have your own transpo (i.e. private car). Mt. Sto Tomas/Cabuyao can be seen in Google maps.
Once you are at the foot of the mountain, you can even hike or just drive all the way to the top. Be sure na in good condition ang sasakyan ninyo at
does not have a very low clearance, as the road going to the top has some rough patches.
Etong "La Presa" place was not yet full of houses a decade ago. Actually iisa lang ang bahay noon doon and it was a dirt road. It's actually a hidden mountain paradise for mountaineers and hikers until this show featured it. Now it will become a tourist destination na, as this hidden paradise is already discovered.