watch now

Author Topic: Ka Facebook ang mga Teachers, Yay or Nyay?  (Read 3283 times)

SnowBall

  • Guest
Ka Facebook ang mga Teachers, Yay or Nyay?
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:17:39 pm »
Hi mga sis, I am from Rizal Area, and yung anak ko Grade 3 ngayon, hindi ko na babanggitin ang school niya sa ngayon, pero kasi naiisip kong ilipat siya ng school because of the following reasons:

1. Yung anak ko may facebook, so alam ko password niya kaya namo monitor ko, nagulat ako minsan nung tinignan ko ang Fb niya, ka FB niya mga teachers niya, okay lang sana, pero ang naka alarm sa akin kasi yung dalawa dun sa teacher niya, nagliligawan sa FB, yung isa naman puro kalokohan ang pino post, yung isa puro selfie with kalokohan captions..

Hindi sa tinatanggalan ko sila ng karapatan na mag Fb, pero kasi feeling ko nawawala ang professionalism pag ganun, na paano naman sila irerespeto ng mga students nila kung ang jojologs nila sa FB..

Para tuloy biglang nawala ang respeto ko sa mga teachers niya.

Di bale sana kung mga good things ang napopost eh.

OA lang ba ako? Kung kayo nasa lugar ko, would you feel the same way, or okay lang yun?


2. Another thing, yung kapitbahay namin na HS student eh dun din nag aaral, pero every friday nandito yung mga barkada niya na dun din mga nag aaral, eh nag iinuman na palagi na naka uniform, and one time, nahuli ng husband ko na nag hahalikan yung mga babae at lalake... while mga naka uniform..


Balak ko ilipat ang anak ko sa Asssumption Antipolo, La Salle Antipolo, or San Beda Rizal. Pinag iisipan ko pa.

Please share me our thoughts.

Thanks in advance mga sis  :)


marose17

  • Guest
Re: Ka Facebook ang mga Teachers, Yay or Nyay?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 08:34:23 am »
First of all, I cannot imagine opening a Facebook account for my children who are only 7 years old.  What is the minimum age restriction for Facebook?  I understand it's 13, right?  So why does your son have an account?  It makes him vulnerable to all the perverts and pedophiles out there in cyberspace - yes, even with security settings and all which a hacker can easily manipulate.  Once your child is there in cyberspace, he is EXPOSED.

To answer your question, I am friends in Facebook with the former preschool teachers of my children, plus their tutor, but not their current teachers in grade school (it is not the norm in their school and frankly, I want to keep a distance since it's a big school na).  Iba kasi with the preschool which was just a small community. And I added them because I wanted to keep in touch with them even now that my sons are no longer studying in the preschool.  I really value how they nurtured and prepared my sons very well for the tough big school that they are currently enrolled in.  Needless to say, they are not jologs (I do not want to sound like a snob, but I do not add jologs people in my account or if I can see that they are that way, I either hide or in extreme circumstances, unfriend them) and do not post anything inappropriate.  Seriously, who are the teachers of your son and why are they doing the funny business in Facebook?  I sense a lack of discretion and good judgment, so yes, I will suggest na ilipat mo na ang son mo sa ibang school kung ganyan lang din ang mga teachers niya.

If I were you, I will close my son's Facebook account to minimize his exposure to inappropriate things that can be found there.  After all, a grade 3 student has no business being in a social network.  He can go play and communicate with his classmates and friends in school.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:56:07 pm by marose17 »

ysa.belle

  • Guest
Re: Ka Facebook ang mga Teachers, Yay or Nyay?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 04:03:50 pm »
My child does not have a facebook account. I do not want him to have one (for now) and I can see that he is not interested it.

I am friends in Facebook with almost all my child's teacher and I am very glad that they do not post anything that would lower my respect for them. Yes, they post family pictures, family outings and gimiks with friends and co-teachers too but nothing that would make me unfriend them or hide them in my news feed. The teachers, I get to communicate with them through Facebook most of the time and things are okay naman.

Drew82

  • Guest
Re: Ka Facebook ang mga Teachers, Yay or Nyay?
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 01:51:02 pm »
As a parent, you have all the right to raise this issue during PTCs. A simple resolution is for the school to create a separate Facebook page intended for parents and teachers - a venue to air out the concerns/issues, discuss important agenda/school announcements.

The teachers on the other hand should be required by the school principal to create a separate Facebook account na officially for school purposes lang. NO personal juvenile posts allowed.

twelvth_goddess

  • Guest
Re: Ka Facebook ang mga Teachers, Yay or Nyay?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 02:13:22 pm »
If you feel that you've lost your respect for your child's teachers, I suggest that you move him/her to another school. There is no sense in sending your child to a school with teachers you don't approve of. Our child's education is a partnership between us parents and their teachers; in any relationship there should be trust and respect. I can't imagine facing my kid's teachers after seeing their kabastusan on FB.

I agree though that your child is too young to have his/her own FB account even if you can monitor the activities (mostly) because you have the password. What is someone chats him/her up and tells her/him to delete the conversation afterwards? The web is a very scary place to be in, specially at that age.

I am friends with my daughter's school directreses, but not her teachers yet. Siguro saka na lang after the school year. I trust, respect, and love her teachers very much and I see naman how decent they are but I also want to keep a safe distance between her teachers and I.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:16:43 pm by twelvth_goddess »

insanelypurpleprincess

  • Guest
Re: Ka Facebook ang mga Teachers, Yay or Nyay?
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 10:29:49 pm »
SnowBall, like what others mentioned, it seems too early for your child to be in Facebook given that 13 is the required age to have an account. Perhaps, you can explain to your child to wait till he/she has reached that age before getting back into this social media platform. In the meantime, you can have the account deactivated.

And basing on your experience, it seems like you have lost confidence in your child's Teachers based on behavior displayed through Facebook. If you do feel the need to transfer your child based on this incident, then do so, but not without raising the concern either to the Teachers concerned or a school administrator who can look into the matter. Despite behavior displayed that did not seem appropriate, it would do more good to really bring it up so that they may know better and can work on these challenges. In fact, the sooner you give them feedback, the better so they can work on their opportunities early on. It would be a very good teachable moment for them. I am sure they will be very appreciative of the fact that you do care how they conduct themselves even outside school. Hope you're able to work around this ASAP so that all parties concerned can truly benefit from your observation.

SnowBall

  • Guest
Re: Ka Facebook ang mga Teachers, Yay or Nyay?
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 08:57:59 am »
Hello mga sis, daughter ko yung may FB, she's turning 10 years old.

Siya mismo nag setup ng FB account niya, my daughter is very techie kasi mga friends niya kasi eh techies din, Ayoko naman pagbawalan talaga siya mag FB, kasi ang concern ko naman, baka pag pinagbawalan ko, gumawa pa din ng account na hindi ipinapaalam sa akin, at least kung hindi ko siya hinhigpitan, na mo monitor ko ang Fb niya, kasi willing siyang ibigay ang password at username, pati namomonitor ko mga friends niya.

Ayaw kong nagliihim sa akin ang anak ko, so ayoko silang masyadong higpitan pagdating sa mga bagay na yan, gusto ko open kami sa isat isa, that way wala silang ililihim sa akin, kahit matanda na sila.

by the way thank you so much sis Drew82 for that suggestion, I already sent my letter, na nireklamo ko yung teacher involved, plus yung recommendation ko na sana magkaroon ng separate FB ang mga teachers, sa work at sa personal nilang buhay.

I also unfriended those teachers na kinuwento ko sa inyo, in fairness naman sa school ng anak ko, yung iba namang teachers eh very decent ang FB page nila, and I am thankful for that, na sana gayahin na lang yun ng ibang teachers.

Malaking tulong din kasi ang ka FB mo ang teachers, pag may announcements sila regarding sa school, nakukuha ko agad, very smooth ang communication, unlike before na walang FB, need mo palagi nasa school to know the latest announcements.

With this age of FB and the likes, na puro FB na lang pati announcement ng No classes, importante din talaga ang FB.

Sana magawan agad ng paraan ng school.


Thank you so much sis sa inyong lahat, sa lahat ng insights ninyo, take care :)



insanelypurpleprincess

  • Guest
Re: Ka Facebook ang mga Teachers, Yay or Nyay?
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 01:31:33 pm »
^ It's a good move to send in a letter to the school to raise your concern. Hopefully, their investigation will reveal what really is the real picture. As for the suggestion for Teachers to have separate accounts for various purposes, I personally find it very tedious. I only have one account and intend to keep it that way - I am a teacher myself, by the way. I just think that the school may have not set in place policies regarding use of social networking. In our school, it's pretty simple.. if a pupil is below 13, you can't be FB friends with them because they're not supposed to be in FB for starters. We also have policies about being conected in FB to pupils 13 and up as well as parents. Seeing that you value the information you can get from FB regarding school stuff, why not suggest to the school for them to put up an official FB page for the school so you don't have to rely on teachers for these announcements. After all, it's the school's responsibility to keep parents informed thru the most convenient means possible.

twelvth_goddess

  • Guest
Re: Ka Facebook ang mga Teachers, Yay or Nyay?
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 11:15:40 pm »
I agree. My daughter's school has their own page where they post announcements, photos from shool events and the likes. I find it really helpful.

insanelypurpleprincess

  • Guest
Re: Ka Facebook ang mga Teachers, Yay or Nyay?
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 12:49:14 am »
^ It's great to hear that more and more schools are keeping up with the times. Having an FB page for example helps. In our case, we didn't make use of FB for school stuff, but instead we have a school blog and an App also. For our announcements, like class cancellations, for example, we employ text messaging to contact every parent.

KVsWahmmy

  • Guest
Re: Ka Facebook ang mga Teachers, Yay or Nyay?
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 09:45:00 am »
Chanced upon this thread and it caught my eye. :) I know my daughter's teachers' FB accounts, but I don't add them. I only have one teacher na ka-FB ko and it's her former adviser nung Nursery, added her lang nung JK na anak ko. Maybe it's just me, pero for me mas namamaintain yung professional interaction kapag di kami friends on FB. Kumbaga e as far as each other is concerned, we're just on a 'need-to-know' basis. I only know what I need to know about them. Feeling ko lang kasi it would add or cause 'biases' of some sort if I know more about their personal lives and vice versa.

As for my kid having an FB account, hmmmm, good point about anything below 13 too young to manage the 'complexities' of social media. But, I understand din na it's better na open sya sayo when it comes to those things than patago nya gawin kasi binawalan mo - good start. Gusto ko ng ganung relationship with my daughter, yung open sya sa akin. :)


thebratinella

  • Guest
Re: Ka Facebook ang mga Teachers, Yay or Nyay?
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 10:13:21 am »
^ My thoughts exactly. The school nurse added me because her son is in the same class with my daughter but she just posts pictures. I didn't add the teachers. I won't feel comfortable knowing that they would be able see my posts.  ;D The school has an FB page and Twitter account so we check there for updates.

chinice

  • Guest
Re: Ka Facebook ang mga Teachers, Yay or Nyay?
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 09:37:35 am »
Good morning mga sis,

Do you post school concerns (lalo na pag may isang bagay na kinaiinisan n'yo concerning the school) on Facebook kahit FB friends kayo ng teacher/s? :)

ieiky

  • Guest
Re: Ka Facebook ang mga Teachers, Yay or Nyay?
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 04:04:34 pm »
Parang ang awkward pag nakita ko ang mga pag popost ng teachers ng anak ko sa facebook. To maintain professionalism, hindi ko sila ina-add kahit na gusto ko makibalita how things are going na sa anak ko. Wala kasing facebook page 'yung school nila at twitter (He's studying sa private school naman pero hindi yata uso ang social media sa management).

'yung teacher niya nung nursery siya, nagging friends kami sa facebook nung kinder na ang anak ko at resigned na siya sa school. I think napamahal talaga ang anak ko saknya so ok lang.

VShe

  • Guest
Re: Ka Facebook ang mga Teachers, Yay or Nyay?
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 06:12:11 pm »
Lahat ng teachers ng anak ko, friends ko sa facebook even the principal (and before the school owner nung nasa old school pa kami). Malaking tulong sa akin sa "pagbabantay". Good thing wala namang problem sa mga teachers in our current school :)

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close