Yes, it sure smacks of a double standard for cheaters: We demand The Truth from men who philander. But for women who cheat, we say: Teka, weigh your options. Heck, we may even advise bringing the secret to her grave.
Why so?
1. Women and men react differently to being cheated on. A clear example is, as we got entertained on tv and by diarios: Chavit colored his ex common law wife Che black & blue, though they had separated already. And, though he was cheating on her for so many years with a minor, Josephine (who confirmed this years-long cheating to Kris A. during an interview).
IMO, the general public reacts double-standard too to philanderers (eh, lalaki) and cheating wives (susko, ma-kati). Just saying.
2. "We are free to make choices, but we are not free from the consequences of our choices."
BUT the consequences ALSO impact The Innocent/The Undeserving.
I try not to judge people caught in hard places. Give the benefit of the doubt: For surely, at the time of decision-making of Secret vs Reveal: the person weighed principles/conscience vs the fall-out; and decided that keeping all the sh1t a secret was The Best Possible or The Most Prudent Decision for all whose lives would be impacted.
3. "Ignorance is bliss." True, at times.
What do we know? Maybe the husband of TS "knows", but does not want to rock their boat. Just don't slap his face with harsh facts. Who knows?
4. Resources are required to keep body & soul together. IMO. Otherwise, San ka pupulutin???
IF I were faced with the Dilemma of TS, sure, sure, sure -- I'd take the high road, listen to my conscience, redeem my integrity -- and confess to my husband.
BUT see, by the grace of God, I can on my own continue to give my kids plus 1 bastard a Good Life, not just a life.
Plus, I can take measures to protect myself so I don't get plastered on the diarios/tv appearing with unflattering black & blue polka dots.
I can afford to do The Great Reveal & be penitent for the sh1t hitting the fan. More important, after The Reveal -- I can move on, and minimize the negative fall-out on my children, & the bastard. There will surely be trauma for the Collateral Damage children.
(Besides, speaking for myself who went through a lot with a philanderer now into Remorse & Reform -- I did not cheat, ever, inspite of many temptations -- so, if I find myself in the shoes of TS -- Aba, kasi I have lost love & respect for him, and want to rush him out of my life. So yes, what the heck, slap his face with my cheating.)
I agree: do The Reveal, TS. It is the RIGHT thing to do, by all that is principled within us.
However, I do not mean to underestimate you, BUT: if you cannot be as financially confident, do what you deem is best. Our circumstances may be different, so OPEN YOUR EYES well, think, then decide.
Sabi ng darling Lola ko: walang secreto na hindi nabubunyag.
Yup, she continues: Some release the secret while at the Departure Area of their lives; or bring it to their graves, & those left behind discover the secret.
So, the value of keeping a secret must lie in the advantageous (to the secret keeper) timing of The Reveal. Just saying, but what do I know anyway?
Sa mata ng Diyos, ang mali ay mali. But, he is an always all-Forgiving God.
A burdened conscience and compromised integrity is enough punishment to bear, extremely heavy surely.
It is the price one can pay for not destroying others' lives. That is 1 way of looking at it.
So, yes, I agree: the High Road requires The Confession to pinendejong husband.
What do I know anyway, to suggest to TS to keep her cheating under wraps. To protect her soon to come bastard (since her lover can't/won't commit for anything), and to not destroy her 17yo's life as it is now.
Tanong ko lang Kay TS: CAN YOU AFFORD the consequences of a confession?