watch now

Author Topic: Common Grammar Mistakes Part II  (Read 10271 times)

FayeP

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes Part II
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2016, 10:15:13 pm »
dito samin lagi ko naririnig mga kateam ko sa "so long as" hehe instead of "as long as"

kunyari, "ok lang na gawin mo yan, SO long as mapapangatawanan mo" hahhaa patawa lang

candygrenade

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes Part II
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2016, 10:18:28 am »
on the one hand ... on the other hand. This is used when you are comparing two different facts or two opposite ways of thinking about a situation. In general, if you start your sentence with “on the one hand,” then you must pair it with “on the other hand” to introduce the second idea:

Incorrect: On the one hand, I love the freedom of working freelance. But I crave the financial security of a full-time job.
Correct: On the one hand, I love the freedom of working freelance. On the other hand, I crave the financial security of a full-time job.

However, you can also use “on the other hand” alone to create a smoother transition between sentences:

I love the freedom of working freelance. On the other hand, I crave the financial security of a full-time job.

shyreen

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes Part II
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2016, 09:36:34 am »
Is this correct?

"No matter how many years pass"

candygrenade

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes Part II
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2016, 10:48:19 am »
Trivia:

Carabao is unacceptable in both American or British English-speaking spheres. It is a “Filipinism.”

The right word is water buffalo.

Vans

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes Part II
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2016, 12:50:11 pm »
Couldn't care less versus Could care less

piatos

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes Part II
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2016, 11:41:57 pm »
i'm eyeing on or i'm eyeing for?

krabby_patty

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes Part II
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2016, 09:30:20 pm »
Irregardless
"Please see the below."
Moral lesson

candygrenade

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes Part II
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2016, 08:37:39 am »
Jewelry is used for both the singular and plural of the noun. Please do NOT write “jewelries.”

I bought a nice piece of jewelry today.
I bought my wife four pieces of jewelry today.

As for jewelry vs. jewellery, the former is American English while the latter is British English, and is used in many Commonwealth nations.

TysLolakins

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes Part II
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2016, 11:28:14 pm »
Starting the sentence with 'But' and ending with 'though'. Redundant lang, just use one not both,  ;) .

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close