1. When I was living in singapore, since I don't have a maid and I don't know how to iron (sorry!), i made it a point to use fabric softener and it turned out a great idea since i'm lazy doing the ironing and it actually saved electricity.
2. I learned that buying in bulk really makes a huge difference. But only buy bulk if its the products that you can't live without.
a. I bought this Php900 Blue Ribbon detergent (13.62 kg) from Duty Free and we've been using it for a 10 months already.
b. There's also the Smart Choice Tissue roll, Php216 for 10 rolls. Each roll actually stays for max 3 weeks on our common toilet (used by 3 pax). Joy tissue paper lasts for 3 days only.
What I do is i try to squeeze each roll. If your thumb and your index finger meets with few space in between, it means the tissue roll is just fluffy and it does not have enough tissue that would last a long time, else the roll is packed and will last you for weeks!
Also same with shampoo and conditioner, I buy 1 litre of my favorite brand so that I don't end up buying every month.
3. With aircon, i keep it under timer. It automates my split type aircon to turn off every 4AM since the cool air will linger the room till I am awake (8AM). Not turning off by 4AM means, difficulty in waking up coz of the cold temp.
4. Before I buy something, i turn to reviews for cheaper alternatives.
5. I make it a point that I put a ceiling on what I buy. For instance, for dress, my max is PHP1500, for tops, my max is PHP1000.
For pants and skirts, I go for uniqlo but I wait for them to go on sale (Uniqlo actually lowers the prices of non season stocks, for example, I buy their winter jackets during summer or their shorts during december).
6. When I go to the mall and found something cute, I envision that its just going to be sitting on my desk (for example, cute notepad). Then I immediately skip buying it coz its pointless. Sometimes, when you see something on display, it's just attractive to look at but when you actually buy and put it on, let's say your desk, it's forgettable already.
7. I don't go to the groceries (or mall) when I am hungry unless my purpose is to eat.
8. I invest on quality brands for NEEDS like wallets, panties, rubber shoes, etc. Its pointless to buy something cute but will end up ripped after few uses.
9. Before salary, I make it a point to compute all my payables (bills payment and allowances) then i transfer the remainder to my savings and investment bank account.
10. I don't use my savings and investment bank account to pay for my expenses. All earnings from it, i invest again. All new expenses must come from allowance or bills payment.
11. The greatest lesson I had is keeping a modest lifestyle. If you already have a good rubber shoes, why buy 5 more pairs? If you have a high quality branded bag already, do you need to buy three more branded ones? Do you really need a flamboyant car? I have iphone 4 but I don't want to replace it with Iphone 6 since my phone is still working.
12. Avoid being envious of other people, it will initiate competition and you will end up wanting everything your neighbor has (new gadget, new shoes, etc). Be contented with simple things. If they are trying to be competitive with you, think that your future will be better than theirs coz your net worth is higher.
Focus on your future, do you want to have a good life in the future instead of having luxuries today?