watch now

Author Topic: Car brands that accommodates a car seat?  (Read 2403 times)

bluegintonic

  • Guest
Car brands that accommodates a car seat?
« on: January 28, 2014, 07:36:58 pm »
hi sisses and bros,

  help naman, I need advice which car brands (if possible pati make and model)that can take a forward facing car seat.I'm relocating to the Philippines and so far, I've rented sedan types from Toyota(Altis) Kia,Honda Civic,Nissan and lahat walang back row middle seat tether to anchor a FF car seat.I had to  improvise with the seat belts to tether mine and I know hindi safe yun.

My car seat is this: http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Complete-Protect-Convertible/dp/B005CNCAFI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1390908761&sr=8-4&keywords=safety+first+car+seat but in brown and pink.I'm in the market for a 2010 & up car model , preferably 2nd hand (meaning 2nd owner lang ako).I usually travel SLEX from BGC to Laguna so I need a really safe car with regards to a car seat!

TIA!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:55:06 pm by bluegintonic »

DV

  • Guest
Re: Car brands that acommodates a car seat?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 09:05:34 pm »
Are you talking about the LATCH system? You might be interested to know that US guidelines changed with regard to LATCH anchors:

"...the LATCH system should only be used when the combined weight of the child and seat is 65 pounds or less. Above 65 pounds, the seat can still be used, but it should be installed using the seat belt as an anchor rather than the LATCH system."


http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/what-parents-should-know-about-new-rules-for-car-seats-165644779.html


http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/08/new-latch-car-seat-rules/index.htm




bluegintonic

  • Guest
Re: Car brands that acommodates a car seat?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 05:55:22 pm »
^yes, sis. Mine is from the US so it's ISOFIX compatible.I'm in Australia right now and it's called differently plus they dont attach quite the same way.The ones from the US have latch clips from the sides (at least mine does)as well as the anchor tether strap from the back.-thus eliminating the need for the bulky base of the older car seats.I don't know which cars would have this but I've recently seen a Honda CRZ and it has that attachment point for the tether strap (back only,haven't seen the sides).I'm only going to be in the Phil for a year so I'm in a a market for a 2nd hand car only.

khriseeee

  • Guest
Re: Car brands that accommodates a car seat?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:01:52 pm »
I don't think there are any car brands locally that are geared up really for car seats. We don't have the LATCH system nor tether hooks in any of the cars I've seen so far. Even finding out if the backseat seatbelts is auto-locking or not is a headache.

What I did was look for carseats that could fit in any car, without the above. Aprica, Capella and Peg Perego have carseats that come with a seatbelt clip or secures the seatbelt to the carseat which eliminates the issues I've raised above.

We currently have a Capella convertible carseat in our 2012 Fortuner.

I'm considering the Peg Perego for my Honda City.

bluegintonic

  • Guest
Re: Car brands that accommodates a car seat?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 11:53:46 am »
^so sis Khriseeee, how do you anchor the Capella one? It still needs to be attached in someway, surely not just the seatbelt sa middle back seat? Thats what I did when we came home-I threaded it thru the car seat then snapped it in place then used the left seatbelt to anchor it some more.Nawalan tuloy ng seatbelt sino man uupo sa left ;D.Maalog eh. SO for sure hindi safe yun. Shame-I might have to buy an older car seat just so I can have a base to anchor it from and attach to Any CAR?

khriseeee

  • Guest
Re: Car brands that accommodates a car seat?
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 04:34:02 pm »
^The Capella seat comes with a seatbelt clip to clamp down on the seatbelt where it clicks into the base of the seatbelt. That way the lap belt can be tight. It also comes with a bar to anchor the seat to the floor of the car. But I don't think it can be used in the middle seat. The Peg Perego can be installed in the middle seat with a seatbelt.


bluegintonic

  • Guest
Re: Car brands that accommodates a car seat?
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 11:06:43 am »
^Thanks sis khriseee. I found two brands that actually have LATCH anchors as top tethers-The Honda CRZ and the Subaru SUV.Kind of not in my price range.I was looking for a sedan type na malaki sana.

bluegintonic

  • Guest
Re: Car brands that accommodates a car seat?
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 08:06:12 pm »
Sisses I bought a Nissan Navarra and here's how I anchored my car seat: pull down the back seat (from the loop made of the seat belt material)-your whole back seat should pull down and it will reveal a metal loop.anchored the top tether there then passed the middle car seat strap to hold the seat as well.HTH!

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close