Sis Macaroonz - I was like you, I had a very lucrative and high paying job when I was in Manila and yet, I didn't have a lot of cash or savings in the bank because aside from giving a big share in the household expenses (including a monthly 7k for electricity pa lang), my parents also forced me to buy a property and insurance pa. So there were times talaga na ni pamasahe papuntang office wala ako. In the end, I realized that it was my parents' way of teaching me about financial discipline, and kahit wala akong maraming savings sa bank, I still had my forced savings by way of the property nga and insurance. And because I knew how to budget my monthly salary very carefully, when I went and lived abroad all by myself, I never ever ever experienced having any utang, at lahat ng credit card bills ko, fully paid every month. Tapos where I lived pa, hindi withheld ang income tax so talagang dapat prepared ka talaga dahil one time big time plus may provisional tax pa to cover half next year's tax ang bayaran ng tax.
I support your plan going abroad to experience a different kind of life, kasi it goes without saying na you learn a lot about life when you're all by yourself outside of your comfort zone. But I hope you take extra care and plan wisely about your move abroad, kasi hindi biro maging OFW.
Sis minnie99 I too, had parents like yours, they were strict, and while they never used vulgarities on any one, sobrang interrogation ang aabutin ko, before and after any social event that I "asked" permission for. I think perhaps they need to see that you are able to look after yourself and that you can make sensible decisions. Sometimes kasi, parents just don't want to admit that they don't trust their kids to have the right "diskarte" so they go on blaming the ruthless world out there. So I guess, what you can do for yourself is to spend more time with them and in those moments, try to set it up where you can show them that you are making right decisions.
Yung sa bf mo naman, perhaps they see something in your bf na nakakainis? Kasi kung pati ang katulong nyo hindi alam ni bf kung papano makuha ang kiliti, then maybe there is something wrong, o di kaya, he needs to put more effort to present himself as a likeable person to them. I suggest he finds ways to get more people on his side like the siblings, house help, cousins, etc. etc.