watch now

Author Topic: oDesk XVII  (Read 78434 times)

shielala

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #320 on: January 25, 2014, 06:16:21 am »
Hindi na ba after a day posting ng withdrawals sa bdo? Nagwithdraw ako ng thursday, expected ko around 3pm ng friday posted na pero until now wala pa din.

Harper

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #321 on: January 25, 2014, 06:30:14 am »
Minsan talaga nad-delay sis kahit walang holiday.

AnJelatine

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #322 on: January 25, 2014, 10:29:42 am »
Help? ;D

Nawala yung regular work ko nung December 30, hahaha! New Year na New Year, wala akong regular work. Kakaloka! Project based na lang ang mga contracts ko. Nanlumo ako nun. Pero, I'm okay. Naka-get-over na. Haha!

I've decided to have a corporate job na by February mag apply-apply na ako sa mga BPO companies. Kase ever since, hindi pa ako talaga nag work, no experience at all! Business (before) and oDesk (current) ang income ko. 24 y/o na ako, hindi pa graduate (Mag change career na din, from Nursing to Web Design.), may Baby na.

Gusto ko mag work, as regular employee dahil...
1. 24 y/o na ako, wala pa akong working experience sa labas. 100% oDesk lang talaga. Parang for personal growth na din ang peg. Hehe!
2. Sure shot na may salary every month.
3. Regular savings, para makapag-aral ako ng Web Design.

Ayaw ko dahil..
1. Minus tax, SSS, Pag-Ibig, PhilHealth. Pero kase naisip ko, para sa akin din naman 'to diba?
2. Minus allowance - transpo, food, etc.
3. Kung worth it ba yung pagod?

**Ang hirap kase kapag nasanay sa oDesk. Haha!

Pinaka-importante sa lahat...
4. BABY GIRL KO! Eto yung pinaka-concern ko. Kung worth it ba na mag work ako sa labas, na hindi ko makakasama Baby ko ng 10 hours (or more kung malayo) everyday para mag work.
5. Partner ko. Kung mag graveyard shift ako, baka hindi na kame mag kita. Or wala nang intimate/quality time. He works from 9 AM - 6 PM. If ever, baliktad kame.

Sorry kung napahaba. Malapit na mag February, wala pa akong decision.

Help? ;D

ikaela

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #323 on: January 25, 2014, 11:01:09 am »
@yanchee: regarding taxation, this is the thread you're looking for: http://www.femalenetwork.com/girltalk/index.php/topic,217978.0.html.

^Go, get a regular corporate job, para ma-check-off mo na rin sa list mo. Pwede mo naman i-quit if talagang strain siya sa relationship mo with your partner and your baby girl. As for regular income, marami namang ways to get that apart from being an employee. But it sounds to me you want to experience the corporate world at least once, so go ahead while you're still young!

annie19

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #324 on: January 27, 2014, 02:03:19 pm »
mga sis anyone here na meron ng sariling agency? i''m interested to create one kasi, baka you can enlighten me about this. or masyado ba hassle? TIA

virt_train

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #325 on: January 27, 2014, 02:53:41 pm »
hi annie, sa akin so far okay naman sya..as long as you get the right people on your team. Hindi sya hassle if this is something that you really want to do to add more extra income for yourself. I am not sure if this works for other, but transparency is important for me as well, kaya sinasabi ko na beforehand how much I will get from that contract.

annie19

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #326 on: January 28, 2014, 02:54:59 am »
sis virt_train i sent you a pm :) thank you.

packsmom

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #327 on: January 28, 2014, 06:03:36 pm »
Hi mga sisses!

Pwede bang magask for Cert of Employment from our clients?

Sino sa inyo ang nakapagapply na ng tourist visa to Japan or anywhere? Anong mga requirements sinubmit nyo?

TIA!

AnJelatine

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #328 on: January 28, 2014, 07:38:46 pm »
^Go, get a regular corporate job, para ma-check-off mo na rin sa list mo. Pwede mo naman i-quit if talagang strain siya sa relationship mo with your partner and your baby girl. As for regular income, marami namang ways to get that apart from being an employee. But it sounds to me you want to experience the corporate world at least once, so go ahead while you're still young!

Totoo! Totoo lahat ng sinabe mo! :D Parang naghahanap lang ako ng.. "GO LANG NG GO!" Haha! ;D Pampalakas ng loob? I guess.

Sis packsmom, ni-research ko din yan kanina eh. Para kapag nag apply ako, may work background naman ako kahit papaano :P Eto na-research ko: https://www.odesk.com/community/node/31095 :) Iniisip ko pa kung hihingi ako kase 7 months and 4 months lang yung dalawang clients ko na naging full time na regular talaga.

ikaela

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #329 on: January 28, 2014, 09:50:30 pm »
^Ahaha! But what do I know, I'm just an anonymous on a forum on the internet.

^^I applied for a visa to Japan last November. As oDesk freelancers, what we can submit are (1) a certificate of earnings which you can ask oDesk for (it'll state how many years you've been a contractor on oDesk and how much USD you've earned), (2) a bank certificate with at least 300k (as recommended by my travel agent), and (3) an ITR. If you're married, it's easier. List down your occupation as housewife, and just submit the bank certificate.

packsmom

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #330 on: January 29, 2014, 01:42:04 am »

^^I applied for a visa to Japan last November. As oDesk freelancers, what we can submit are (1) a certificate of earnings which you can ask oDesk for (it'll state how many years you've been a contractor on oDesk and how much USD you've earned), (2) a bank certificate with at least 300k (as recommended by my travel agent), and (3) an ITR. If you're married, it's easier. List down your occupation as housewife, and just submit the bank certificate.

Yay thanks a lot ikaela and AnJelatine!

Naku dami pang kulang..  kelangan per applicant na adult may 300k saccount?  Sorry kung off topic na mod.

So kelangan talaga ng itr...:(  asikasuhin ko na nga..  haay  ipagpapaliban muna kita Japan.. :(

packsmom

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #331 on: January 29, 2014, 01:51:32 am »
Sis AnJelatine, yeah you should go corporate. Try mo, masaya din kahit baba sweldo.

Do you have to let go of all your clients? Pwede ka pa rin magodesk to compensate  your loss(tax and other deductions).

freelancer_babe

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #332 on: January 29, 2014, 01:31:56 pm »
If you're married, it's easier. List down your occupation as housewife, and just submit the bank certificate.

Cool sis!

But would it be just easier to get approved with visa if you list your occupation with the occupation you do in odesk (i.e. writer, graphic designer, web developer, data encoder, etc.). Parang questionable ang housewife na may huge bank account? (Or did you tell that all the money in the bank is from your hubby's?)

--------------------------------------------

Ako rin, I'm planning to go back to corporate for the meantime (unless I am lucky to get hired freelancing for new projects where I do not have experience yet), I have same reasons as AnJelatine's plus more.

Not sure if I'd go back to full-time freelancing, especially with reason #3. Maybe I will kung masolve ng parents ko ang problem nila. However, I will not stop doing accepting freelance jobs though - in or out of oDesk.

1) I need to learn more skills and experience. I cannot break into better-paying skills in and out of odesk without quitting my current project and having no income while building portfolio sample to represent my newly earned skill.

* Tama ang sinabi rin ng isa pang freelancer sa field ko. Takes a year or even more to get established sa new skill and gets clients of my own. Kulang ang emergency fund na six months to cover such change.

2) Build credit. Mas madali pa ring mag loan for a house and lot and even to fund a business when employed. I was earning a lot sa freelance gigs noon, but any of my loans weren't granted. (But I know some odeskers did it - pero mostly inipon nila instead of getting a loan, but in my case it was difficult. Siguro nagkataon mahal ang real estate dito sa amin dito sa Baguio - buying a decent house here costs Php3M, that's far from the business district pa. You'd want a house that costs at least P4M to live comfortably. You need at least P5M or so if you want to live near the city business district.)

3) [Perhaps this is the biggest reason of all]. I am the only breadwinner at the moment. Single parent pa  naman ako. I am supporting both aging parents and a kid that will enter college in a few years. May pera sana ang parents ko, but they are facing some bank-account draining lawsuits in relation to their real-estate properties. My father can't work - he suffered stroke. Yung nanay ko ang umaasikaso sa kaso. Nakakakaba ang walang income or low income if ever sa ganitong setup. Walang ibang income kundi sa mga projects ko lang manggagaling.

* I do much of the load. Wala akong kapatid. Nag-iisang anak lang ako.

4) [Related to above reasons] I'm beginning to feel na saturated na sa skill ko. I have to move out to learn new skill. Eto ang mahirap sa IT. Every few years you have to keep updated. Kung nasa office ako, I still get paid learning new skills, but in freelancing, you may have to reduce projects or even completely stop accepting new projects just to transfer to that new skill. That means little or no income.

Lately, it has come to the point na kalevel na rin ng nakukuha ko monthly sa mga salaries sa office. Those at the office have benefits, while ako out of the pocket ang pagbayad ko ng mga SSS, PAGIBIG, Philhealth, etc. Those at the office covers half of those expenses.

The rising cost of goods does not help. When I checked these days malaki na rin ang tinaas ng sahod sa office lately compared noong 2008, both government and private, na napapantayan na rin nila ang nakukuha ko sa freelancing - even with tax deducted. Now I have to work twice or even thrice as hard and lower my rates. The low salary in the corporate was only true last 2008 in my case, not now anymore. :(

5) Career stagnation. Few years more and I'm regarded as "old" to do IT work na dominated ng mga youngsters. Pag bumalik ako sa office in later years, gu-gustuhin pa kaya nilang maghire ng matandang programmer? Hehe. Age discrimination exists! I do not mind working with the youngsters and having a younger boss though, I just worry about getting hired.  ;)


Now these are my disadvantages to getting back to office:
1) Better work opportunities with career/skills advancement are in Manila or overseas. Mababa ang industry rates dito sa amin and there's less opportunity to grow and much lesser skills to develop. I checked jobstreet, and there are good office jobs that pay good rates (or even better than what I am doing now) down there.

Getting higher pay also means getting qualified to bigger loans.

* Hirap ako mag-apply ng job overseas so I might opt to go for a few years in Manila. Feeling ko kulang pa ako sa skills. I am doing simple projects sa odesk all this time thinking that was enough. Di rin pala. It will really come to the point na pwedeng maging saturated ang skills sa freelancing market - oh well, this happened too soon.

2) [The very thing that worries me.] Iiwan ang kid. I worry - lalo na at single parent ako. Teenage years could be tough times. Mahal naman kasi magpa-aral dyan sa Manila vs. Baguio. Plus, I might get hired pa sa work na kailangan night shift ang pasok. Better that the kid goes home to my parents than not meet anyone at home.

If I accept jobs in Manila, it won't be practical to travel back to Baguio every weekend. Mga long weekends lang pupwede - if ever di ako ipag-OT. Unfortunately, when you're working in IT for private firms big or small, overtimes and even working on holidays are always a must. Sa government lang ang maluwag ang oras tapos Monday to Friday sila. Majority of private companies in my field want 48-hour work week.

I won't really forgive myself if my kid goes into the "dark" side. I saw enough kids who had fallen into the "dark" because their parents are not around and have chosen the greener pastures. Parental guidance is essential talaga.

3) Iiwan ang parents. But this is the least of my worries, but it will be after a few years. Kasi in a few years nasa 70s na sila.

4) Time. Now I have to spend little time on finding new income streams other than freelancing - na baka sakali kumita. I will not stop on this. Yun lang I get to have lesser time exploring this.


-----------------------------------------------------

I'd really prefer to stay as a freelancer sana and work my way towards that new skills with better rates and/or managing an offline business. Sadly present circumstances does not allow me to. So far that Manila or overseas routes appeals to me financially and career-wise. Staying here in Baguio for a regular employment - I do not see how I will be able to afford housing or car unless I opt to work for managerial roles - na wala naman akong experience to begin with and where such openings are very rare.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:54:19 pm by freelancer_babe »

ikaela

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #333 on: January 29, 2014, 02:00:48 pm »
^The housewife option was just recommended to me by my travel agent when I asked her what to do if the applicant doesn't have an ITR. Logic tells me that she recommended it because it's harder to be approved as a freelancer without an ITR. It's easier for a housewife with 300k in the bank. Actually, the 300k is the acceptable amount; apparently, a smaller amount isn't enough to fund a Japan trip, and a larger amount would be suspicious already.

Sis freelancer_babe, I want to reply to your long list, but I'll do it later ha, when I have time to sit down and type out a long reply.

By the way, this info I read on the Pinoy Freelancers Facebook page will be useful to fellow freelancers: if you regularly use BPI to withdraw from oDesk, you are at an advantage because BPI categorizes the withdrawal as "PAYROLL." So with that payroll label on your bank statement, you can use your statement for anything that requires proof of income.



 

freelancer_babe

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #334 on: January 29, 2014, 02:27:59 pm »
^ I see. This is one of the times when ITR is essential.

Someone did warn me long long time ago, na magfile ako ng ITR. Who knows, baka gamitin ko for VISA application. Or loans.

Turns out now that I will be using the ITR for proof of work sa resume ko, especially for background checks. That's together with PAGIBIG and SSS.

Long post, long reply. LOL. Di ko mapaiksi. Just wanting to elaborate my circumstances for better understanding.

packsmom

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #335 on: January 29, 2014, 04:51:29 pm »
I feel you sis freelancer_babe. I'm a single parent too, only to a two year old. Sending our children to college is one of the biggest financial responsibilities we would face, sadly or (could be ) fortunately on our own.

I also planned to go back corporate last year but when I opened it up with my client, he offered me something I couldn't resist. So here I am still freelancing which I am grateful about. However, I know freelancing won't be my bread and butter in the long run for the same reasons you stated above. Also, I want to be that someone my son would be proud of when people asks what I do for a living.

The pay's really good here and I'm giving myself a couple more years just to stabilize and elevate my financial standing. Yun lang di natin alam kung hanggang kelan to. Being single parents, income stability is what we need.

Sis freelancer_babe go and we'll support you all the way. I can only imagine the stress you're in now. Kaya mo yan. Kaya natin to.

True, children need parental guidance all the time. Don’t leave your child. I’m sure you’ll be able to come up with a better living/working plan once you’re hired. 

Isa ata ako dun sa naging bad girl, didn’t mean it be one though. I just thought I could do whatever I wanted then. (my dad went abroad to work, I became lenient  and carefree more than my mom could handle, hence my child. I was able to graduate naman before my child came). 

However baka magtampo kid mo if you plan on transferring him/her to a different school, if you plan to do so. Talk to your child about your plans and involve her in decision-making. Pwede rin magcompromise. 

Going back to corporate might mean going back to square one, if not a few spaces backward, parang board game lang. Prepare yourself mentally, physically at lahat ng may -ally ahaha just kidding.

Haay buhay
 
Always pray and keep the faith.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 05:20:37 pm by packsmom »

ikaela

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #336 on: January 30, 2014, 03:12:35 am »
Okay, wow, that is such a bind, freelancer_babe. You are part of the sandwich generation -- the breadwinners of Filipino families who are responsible for both their parents and their children. From the start, we know that there is no stability in freelancing, so our default mode is to save, save, save as much as we can while we can. But even that was not afforded to you even if you were earning well because you had two camps pulling you from both sides.

I'm looking at your list and going corporate comes out as the better choice for now. Being able to qualify for a home loan, earning enough to support your parents and your kid -- those are your immediate needs. You say time is also against you because of age discrimination in your field of work; it would also be nice to be able to learn new skills and get paid for it as well instead of having to stop altogether.

As for your kid, hmm... where we're from, it is common for kids to be already sent to bigger cities or abroad for college or even high school. So I always come across teenagers who are on their own at that before-collage age, and generally, the results are good -- they're more mature, more open-minded compared to their stick-to-home or even their grew-up-in-Manila counterparts. Of course, this setup also comes with a lot of prayers on the parents' side -- prayers that the fundamentals they laid out for their kids were actually ingrained, and will actually be remembered by their children when they're sent out into the real world.

Personally, I am also aware that freelancing won't be my bread and butter in the long run. It's imperative for us to have different sources of income.

Don't you ladies think it would be nice if we Filipino freelancers established some sort of union? As a legally recognized group, we can set standard rates, get loan/savings benefits similar to those of cooperatives, or even just get group-rate life and health insurance.

freelancer_babe

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #337 on: January 30, 2014, 11:33:15 am »
Thanks @packsmom!

Right, difficult for single parents. If you are able open other streams of income successfully through the years, you will probably never need to worry about going back to the office.

Sadly, for me even opening up other streams of income was difficult for me because of my parent's situation. At least I tried. :-)

Thanks @ikaela!

Yup difficult sis. If not for the financial difficulties of my parents, I would still be able to manage,

Sadly, my parents are facing tough times. I have to help them until their real-estate problems clear up. Magastos ang kaso nila.


heavensent

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #338 on: January 31, 2014, 02:16:26 am »
can relate with you sisses.. been thinking of working overseas already but there's just a lot of things to consider.

and so far ok pa naman ang mga clients ko sa odesk.

packsmom

  • Guest
Re: oDesk XVII
« Reply #339 on: January 31, 2014, 03:30:44 am »
You're welcome sis @freelancer_babe. God will bless you  for helping your parents. :)

Back to ITR, maliit man o malaki ang kikitain ko buwan buwan, parang ang hirap talaga magbayad ng tax. Ang sakit sa loob ko hehe

(Oh oh BIR might have just put me under surveillance. hihi)

Wag nyo po akong tularan. :))
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 03:11:34 pm by packsmom »

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close