Author Topic: Naka-uniform ba ang mga yaya/maids nyo?  (Read 11553 times)

appleberrycream

• GirlTalker
Naka-uniform ba ang mga yaya/maids nyo?
« on: July 17, 2013, 12:16:26 am »
What's your take on this? When my father was still alive, she told us na if ever, in the future magkaron kami ng kasambahay/maids/yaya, don't let them wear a uniform. Parang for him masyado mong pinapakita yung difference ng status ng tao. So ngayon na may mga maids na kami, hindi namin sila pinag-u-uniform kahit lumalabas kami. Marami akong nakikita especially to high-end malls like BGC, Rustan's and Serendra na mga naka-uniform na yaya/maids nakasunod lagi sa mga amo. Do you think it's really for status symbol?

quinone

• Senior GirlTalker
Re: Naka-uniform ba ang mga yaya/maids nyo?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 12:40:45 am »
i think may isa pang thread about this

Naka uniform ba ang mga maids/yayas niyo kahit nasa bahay lang?
http://www.femalenetwork.com/girltalk/index.php/topic,216557.0.html

balak talaga namin ni hubby bilhan ng "uniform" yung househelp na magtatagal sa amin kasi na we have observed na kokonti talaga ang damit nila. maybe 3-5 pcs ng t-shirt of the same color & shorts hindi talaga "uniform" chaka konti na nga lang damit nila maluluma pa kasi kakalaba nila tapos stains ng pagluluto.

para sa akin it's ok for the HH to wear uniform kahit nasaan pa sila.

hazelbrown_eyes27

• Miss NO pushover!
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 11:15:56 am »
Yes, we do. Not for the status thing. Its for our yayas to look neat, and clean looking. Specially if the yaya is taking care of a toddler.
the yaya has to look decent, neat and clean. If we allow them to look what they want to look like, its just not right! ( statement shirts, slippers that its peeling off from its original form.Jeans.
It does t look nice and neat.sometimes maids pair their jeans and shirts with slippers. Totally an eyesore! We want them, neat.
Dont even bother explaining! I cant believe you.

mama7

• GirlTalker
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 07:02:12 pm »
if ever magka hh ako,di naman as in uniform na naka scrub suit,pwede na siguro yung plain white tshirt kung naka sched siya mag yaya sa anak ko..ayoko naman rin kasi yung ibang yaya todo porma naman kahit di naman day off.ayoko ng yaya na pa sexy.

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 08:19:23 am »
My maids and yayas and drivers all wear uniforms.  I make it clear during the pre-employment interview that it is a MUST they be in uniform all the time & follow my hygiene standards all the time.
Ex.  NO long nails, no make-up  (for all: even drivers, hahaha, really).
No nail polish on fingernails for all.  No loud nail polish on toe nails & ayoko makakita ng toenails na long like chickens have.   
All hair must be tied back in a bun, all bangs clipped back. Cook & whoever helping cook must wear hairnets. 

Yes, it is a status symbol thing in that - I can afford their services, and afford to give each employee 6 in-house uniforms & 3 pang labas/party uniforms.    That includes footwear.   

But it is not a status symbol thing if ang pag pinag uusapan eh to impress people or on them that there is an economic gap.
        Really now, alam nila every effing day they work for you there is an economic gap.  But that should not breed resentment, but foster gratitude that you give them steady jobs, good wages for their families, and make them work in comfortable conditions.  I tell them to: bigyan nyo sarili nyo ng halaga all the time. Dapat mukha kayong malinis, maayos at kagalang galang all the time.  (When a driver forgets to trim his hair or shave, I say: At baket hindi ka mukhang  banker ngayon?  Hindi puedeng mukhang holdupper drive for us ha!).
         As for impressing others, IF  that is your intent -- there are better ways or other  trappings of wealth with which to better impress people.   Coz kung  wala kang other ways & your intent is to impress your economic gap -- susko baka ikaw pinagtatawanan as trying hard by those you wanna impress. 

Uniforms are more for hygiene & work comfort.  Some clothes keep people from doing a good job. Or, some people cannot afford the work clothes that will help them perform well.   
Kaya may attire requirements sa construction sites, may uniform sa factories, may standard wear ang massahistas, may standard wear  mga pokzpokz, may uniforms airline personnel -- all clothes to fit the job and to enhance performance. Same same with maids, yayas, cooks, drivers. 

"Uniform" can be interpreted in many ways: scrub suits,  shifts with aprons & maids caps, drivers in short sleeved barongs or monkey suits with caps, tshirts with walking shorts, etc etc etc.  It is up to the amo's preference/fantasy & budget -- let us not judge each other on that. 

Worry not that you put your help in uniforms. Worry if you don't feed them when you are out dining,  or feed them your kid's left-overs.  Worry that you talk to them with no respect, lalo na in public. 

RoadrunnerXCX

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 08:45:33 am »
very well said aquacharly...if i may ask, when you travel abroad do you also require them to be in uniform especially the yayas? let's say the weather condition of the country you visited is not so cold. as we all know the type of uniforms they wear is not suitable for cold countries.
“Allow the universe to unfold as it should" - Desiderata

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 11:14:14 am »
I provide for travel clothes, footwear & even their suitcase/weekend bags, and cross body bags.

If we are going to a local place -- que private place or a tourist spot --  sneakers with socks, khaki pants & classic cut collared white tshirt, short sleeves.  Good cotton material so hindi kita bra.  I always tell them to bring an extra shirt and  a light cardigan (dark blue, which I also pay for) - just in case. 

Pag beach/resort:  khaki walking shorts with the same classic shirts, sneakers uli.  My kids always swim with me or hubby, never with the yayas, kahit mga midwife yan. Mahirap na, IMO, parents will always be better guardians. 

When we travel abroad to a "summertime"  destination,  it is the same basic get up. Khaki pants with sneakers & tshirts (but the shirts iba iba na colors -- para ok sa photos nya) &  may windbreaker din dala (khaki or dark blue) in addition to the cardigans (yung tawag natin  eh button-down sweaters).

It's always khaki pants -- easier to locate in a sea of denims/dark color pants.
The "uniform"  is always good quality, classic (no borloloy  details) &  never tight/revealing.  Comfort is very important too. 
My receptionist goes shopping for tshirts, etc with them.
Pants we have made.   The mananahi goes  to the house. 

I forgot to say earlier: 
The thing with uniforms so that the help do not resent it, or feel inaapi sila --  these should make them look smart.  I see yayas or maids brought around  in ill-fitting uniforms na   maluwag, masikip or busalsal pagka gawa or really unflattering prints or colors; or cheapo manipis or makati textiles -- yan, they really look kawawa.   

What is important is that you give them time to eat, and not leftovers.
When traveling, take their SOLO photos at important landmarks too -- kahit na mag posing OA -- do not judge. hehe. Sige lang, take their photos.   
And, give them shopping money for souvenirs or stuff to share with their friends/family. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 02:34:45 pm by aquacharly »

khayzee

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 11:23:32 am »
ang lucky ng yayas/maids mo sis. well treated :)

pag can afford na ko, gagayahin ko yan :)
“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
― John Wayne

“Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough”
― Oprah Winfrey

ejxtwo

• GirlTalker
  • Mom of 2 angels and a happy baby
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 05:07:53 pm »
Very well said, aquacharly! I totally agree with you :)

My daughter's yaya, house helpers, and our driver wear uniforms (housekeeping uniforms for yaya & helpers and the typical polo for the driver). Even when we travel abroad (usually yaya lang naman ni daughter kasama namin lagi). It's not about the status symbol, I just want them to look decent :)

sistah!

• sistah!
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • proud mom to four doggies :-)
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 11:56:37 am »
we also make the yaya and maid wear a uniform. like sis aquacharly, we make this known from the get go, meaning pag interview pa lang, we tell them that. the uniform required as soon as they wake up and is only removed when they are done with their duties. in a way, this is to show that once they put on their uniform, they are at work and certain things are expected of them. we do not let them walk around the house or hang out outside the house after they finish their work. they have their days off for socializing (and we prefer they not socialize with neighbors' maids at baka magsimula ng whatever chismis).

when i gave birth and had to employ a full time yaya and maid, wala pa kami rule na ganun. but they didn't have enough clothes kaya nakakaawa, laba ng laba every other day. more than that, naiinis my husband kasi minsan ang shorts na suot super iksi and he hates skimpy clothing na ganyan. he kept telling me, kahit nasa bahay yan, they should dress decently. so there. uniform na talaga kami.

arf! arf! woof! woof!

ritznmore

• GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 11:16:49 pm »
I don't see anything wrong with making them wear uniform.  And there is a point na dapat nga siguro I should have a mananahi do the uniform para fitted naman kasi the ones I got are generic scrub suits lang for the house help ngayon.

mama7

• GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 07:12:30 am »
di naka uniform pero mukhang mapapasubo ako bilhan siya ng pambahay kasi konti damit niya since naiwan sa province damit niya at di na daw kasya sa kanya..isa pa tamad maligo alam mo yung amoy na di naman sa underarm galing pero as in amoy "libag" kakaasar..Everytime nasa kusina ako nandun yung amoy na yon galing sa kanya,di ko alam kung nagpapalit rin ng Bra yun ang baho talaga kaya nagtingin na ako mga pambahay na tshirt saka pang alis na polo shirt sa Sulit kasi yung pang alis niya di rin maayos at presentable tignan

Coffee_lover

• GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 08:24:51 pm »
aquacharly do you have picture of your yaya's uniform. One time kasi we went to St. Luke's Global for my son's check up, and she wear short shorts. Hindi ko sya mabawalan coz I wear shorts too.. pero kasi yung shorts nya yung galing sa baclaran. Sabi ko sa kanya why are you wearing shorts? ang sagot nya... Magja jacket po ako para hindi lamigin.. Haaay I just rolled my eyes, di nagets ni yaya.. Kaya hindi ko na ulet sinama sa check up.  :(

summerchic

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 08:29:23 pm »
our helpers wear uniforms, pinapapili pa naman sila what color they like.  :)
Logic and feelings are two different things. What you feel deep down in your gut is very different from what you can reason in your head.

dr.thereal.joy

• GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 10:46:12 pm »
Mga sis ala kayong naririnig na comments from your yaya/maids? Kami kasi laki sa maids without uniforms and also para ngang "api" yung dating (yan napapala ng tele novela hahaha) after reading from you guys, oo nga, para malinis nga tingnan. I have a personal assistant and I bring her to a hospital I go to dati and may nurse na nagcomment sa akin na daig pa ako manamit hahaha. Kaloka ako pa naman ang doctor! Nung una kasi i let her wear her clothes kasi "okay" naman mga clothes niya, till natutunan niya mag Divisoria and hala!

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 08:08:09 pm »
aquacharly do you have picture of your yaya's uniform. One time kasi we went to St. Luke's Global for my son's check up, and she wear short shorts. Hindi ko sya mabawalan coz I wear shorts too.. pero kasi yung shorts nya yung galing sa baclaran. Sabi ko sa kanya why are you wearing shorts? ang sagot nya... Magja jacket po ako para hindi lamigin.. Haaay I just rolled my eyes, di nagets ni yaya.. Kaya hindi ko na ulet sinama sa check up.  :(

For house wear --  the uniform is patterned after the scrub suits, but the material used is good cotton that is not itchy, not too thick as to be uncomfortably warm, but not flimsy either as to allow viewing of their underwear.  These are loose, to allow for easy movement.  All long pants, short sleeves,  blouse cut to below butt line, high v-neck, no pockets (this is an impt detail).   Color is currently teal.  Previously, it was a dark pink/dark blue.    Their chinelas are dark flipflops  for outside use, and beige flipflops for inside house use.   (I pay for these too para uniform, and  puede ba, kadiri if I see them using those furry slippers they are so fond of).

When we have parties/events in the house:  don't judge me! Hehe
Currently, white collared short-sleeved tops na high v-neck pa din, long black slacks, and long black aprons tied behind neck under collar  and around waist.  Plain black flat shoes (my receptionist buys with them a certain style that's always available and not slippery). Sabi ko, don't judge me! Hehe.  Dati, navy blue dress uniforms and white waist aprons.   

(I have a BFF,  like my mom - lol, pag may party, the help are in "costumes" to match the party theme.   I have seen them in butterfly sleeves,  those native gauzy tops - in baka! Chinese tops and pants, Vietnamese & Japanese costumes, haynaku. Well, don't judge nga). 

My yayas wear white scrub suits and white flipflops  inside the house, dark chinelas if they step out into the garden/outside area.  Dati, light pink.  Once, light pants to match light floral pastel top.   Basta all yayas wear the same uniform, the helpers same, etc.   

For going out:  yayas wear a  short-sleeved collared nurse like white uniform pag go to malls, hospitals, parties, the office, kids' school, parties at home.  But these look more like smart suits than hospital wear ha.   
If go to a vacation destination/travel, the yayas have the same khaki pants get-up that helpers wear when they go out on errands  -- or,  as described previously. 

My lavandera is the only exception to the long pants at home:  she wears Capri length pants.

Every 6 months, change uniform kami.
They get sawa, or they anticipate the weather will be too hot.  So, collarless tops. 

Yung palpak namin was the first time they shifted to scrub suits (after the buttoned collared dress uniform) --  color was green. My husband was sooooo irritated, bakit daw parang mga hospital attendants. Naku, sayang gastos doon. 

I have a yaya, hehe, too like DR.THEREALJOY.   I let her wear short sleeved 1-color dark blue/black/khaki suits.   Kasi  I have been inspecting project sites lately.  I let her wear those small rayban-like sunglasses. Basta hindi puede as big or like mine, and no make-up allowed.  No kalembang or dangling jewelry.  Otherwise, baka hindi na ko asikasuhin at busy flirting with laborers.   Ako, naka jeans -- hubby will kill me if I go in my shorts.     

hazelnutduchess

• GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 11:56:52 pm »
Well-explained, aquacharly! In the end, it's still treating them like decent people, and I really don't feel that wearing a uniform is demeaning. Dapat talaga bigyan nila ng halaga yung sarili nila at yung trabahong ginagawa nila. They take care of children, help nurture them. If their uniform shows that, then so be it.

Medyo OT na rin, but I really admire the organization of your staff, sis aquacharly! Hanggang pangarap ko lang yang ganyan ka smooth mag run na staff, parang well-oiled machine. I couldn't handle na nga the maids that come and go into our home, yung marami mo pa kaya! Super hands down, nakakabilib!

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 10:07:28 am »
HAZELNUTDUCHESS, I aim to cut back on house staff & do more outsourcing. That is the future trend.  IMO, it will give me even better value for money I pay out for services, benefits, wastage, etc. 

IMO, if you get the recruitment right, you have better chances of getting good house staff. You minimize the chance of training, only for the help to leave.   Training is very tiring.
 During recruitment, the applicant must accept the reality it is OUR lifestyle & standards that will prevail.
I make that very very clear -- I say kahit galing ka sa Malacanang at yaya ka ng Presidente --  wala akong paki. Dito yung gusto ko ma susunod.  Kaya mong sumunod?

My major guideline in managing them:  leave as little as possible to their diskarte or decision-making.  Believe me, you'd be surprised at the stupid decisions they make if left unguided. Just saying, as per experience --  no malice.
Kaya I have Rules for them to follow. We have Lists of To Do, with matching Schedules.  Every Rule, every List, etc is explained 1 by effing 1 until I get a clear: Gets ko, ma'am. To be sure, I ask for an instant Replay/Play Back.

But there are days even if years na living by your Rules, eh mag decide diskarte  sarili. Pag ganon, I really give a dressing down talk -- mapapahiya. Resign, or will not do it again.  Human nature.
 Pag matigas na ulo, over confident -- lalo na pag madalas hear from visitors ang galing nila! Or, sinusulsulan to pirate them --   Leave!   Pero with the Kasambahay Law, better to turn the heat on at mag resign kusa. Just saying
 Once they exit disgracefully,  kahit lumuhod yan sa village guard (1 did already) -  No more ever talking to me, or re-entry.   

A Senyora must also be CONSISTENT.  Hindi nila gets the legal concept:  even if the First Party does not enforce a provision hereof, it is not to be interpreted as being waived etc etc etc. hahaha.   So, every infraction must be corrected ASAP.

IMO, they need to be disciplined. Kelangan nakakahon as much as possible.  Discipline enables them to do efficient work. They are inefficient generally, and don't tend to finish a task well and completely. So, they must be trained, with firmness & patience.    IMO. discipline makes it easier for them to do their job and be orderly in their personal requirements.  Eventually, they appreciate the discipline.  Pag nahalo sila sa ibang househelp (when our families go en masse, on vacations, each family:  bring your helpers to help out).  They say: ang gulo nila ma'am. Hindi sila ayos.  Or, kawawa sila:  Hilo.   Hahaha. 

1 more thing, baket noon -- Senyora, Senyorita, Senyorito tawag sa family --  ang babait and decent ng house help!  My Lola's staff  or our own yayas made up for a lot of parental neglect among us cousins ha.
Tapos, nowadays that we are more considerate of their wants, needs & rights -- Aba Aba Aba. We hear of many ewan horror stories.  IMO, there is value in impressing upon them they need your payment to give their families better lives.  There is value in subtly impressing upon them ikaw yung Senyora, sila yung katulong: "TULONG", hindi istorbo.   Impress upon them they need you more than you need them.  Just saying.

Just treat them like office subordinates:  no more, no less.
Expect them to do their jobs: no more, no less.
Kaya don't expect may malasakit mga yan. It's just a job.
Don't expect them to love your kids, or you:  it's just a job.
But be on guard they can love your husband:  Ahas in the house yan. Act on it at the first suspicious sign, during recruitment if possible. Hahaha. 

Oooopz: para not OT:  YES, uniforms, in addition to all the benefits cited in posts above -- enforce Discipline.  Discipline is 1 of the hallmarks of good and efficient house staff management.  :D

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:12:34 am by aquacharly »

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 10:34:00 am »
^ How do you outsource house staff? This is very interesting. ;)

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 06:28:21 pm »
I outsource the work/service required.  I want to do this more and more.

My gardening is done by a team of 7 or 8 men, every 3 wks or 1x a month. Pag day off ng workers ng landscaper.   Instead of maintaining a gardener, like before.   Instant ang results.   

Cleaning of windows & screens: 1x/quarter  or as required, by a team of our laborers that our messenger trained.  I pay them double our daily  company rate.  Yan incentive to do well.  And maingat sila they don't damage anything. 
They also do the 2x/year cleaning of walls inside & out.
They also do annual cleaning of my bodega (heavy lifting eh) & when I rotate paintings.
They scrub my exterior bricks and Piedra China. 
General Cleaning that means curtain & upholstered vacuuming, moving of furniture -- sila din. 
They install and remove my exterior Xmas lights. 

Others sourced out:   Pool maintenance
General Cleaning of exhausts & stoves & ovens
Dismantling, washing & re-installation of curtains. (To the team of my curtain maker)
Maintenance of my Waters floor standing unit.  Kesa masira ng helper sa pag linis.

Some trained helpers have gone off to marry. When I have  parties, I call 3 back to set up,  attend to guests too & then wash up and store back.   1 is responsible for drinks and glassware. Mans the bar too.   Another for the linens & tables' set up. Another for the flatware.  Everything counted when brought out of storage & prior to storage.  That gives me some savings on catering costs. 

My cook can't cook for over 50.  Can't cook fancy dinner for even 1.    I hire a chef and his 2 assistants.
(A sister doesn't cook at all - she hires a resto assistant  cook to cook for her a week's supply of ulam. Every Thursday). 

All bed linens (except for pillowcases hand washed here) go off to Metropole (after lavandera washes out spots lang), same with our towels. But I want to replace all with Aquasorb - so 1 use, off to our washing machine.  Easier

Putting up our Xmas trees -- outsourced to a team of a Xmas decor shop.
Yang ka grrr task of. Cleaning Xmas decor, and storing these -- I outsource to a regular group of 6. They dust, wrap & store per my  listing/bin.  Parang assembly line sila. Takes 2 days.   

Polishing of all silver items -- 1 of the serviceman in the shop of an antique store does it, as required.

Cleaning of chandeliers and wall light fixtures --  Palayan.  1x/6 months
But soon, my messenger & his "team" will be able to do it. Ok, I pay them the same, on their day off.   

1x/quarter, I get someone to clean all the switch plates & electrical sockets, inside and outside. 

Someone from the village offers to trim our trees - go. Kesa mahulog driver.  Lol
The village maintenance spray jet cleans my driveways and sidewalks weekly, sige do it. 

Yesterday, my husband's rambutan tree -- Ngek halos ubos leaves. Up close -  horrors!   The trunk covered with fat higad caterpillars. Sige - outsource. Yung 1 Eco Aide ng village crushed them on the trunk with his chinelas. Those that fell off, he crushed with a big stone. My helpers : ay! Ay! Ay! while  watching. Drivers takot makati daw.  Outsource, the unusual tasks. 

A sister is good at outsourcing.
She hires a cook nga for 1 day, a lavadera  for a day, another day to iron; some stuff off to Metropole;  her townhouse garden - minor repairs & maintenance - by the maintenance man;  she uses my Xmas tree storage team & Xmas tree installation team.    Yung 4 cars nila, cleaned by a neighbor's driver every 4am, by her neighbor's driver.  She has 1 maid to clean and care for her 3 dogs.   All her appliances: GE, so a technician comes to clean and check -- sideline nya. 

I aim to go down to a cook, 2 cleaners, & a laundrywoman, and a personal family assistant.   
My mom said to do it before any helper reaches 55.    Lol.   Pag 55 nga, you can't  make them leave  kawawa matanda na.  My mom kids she runs a retirement home for old helpers. She has 4, out of 8.   They watch tv mostly, and play mahjong pag kulang quorum, susko.

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close