watch now

Author Topic: France Thread 2 (Paris and all other cities) *Check Pg. 1 for reference links*  (Read 81945 times)

luckypal

  • Guest
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of joining these free walking tours, doing 1-2 a day during my stay in Paris. I arrive on Oct. 2 and leave on Oct. 8, so it means I just have 5 full days of going around, one of which is definitely reserved for Versailles.

These walking tours are around 1.5 hours each. Which of these tours could I do in one day? And do these tours have all the must-sees in Paris for a first time visit? Many thanks in advance :)

Montmartre tour
Moulin Rouge, Chat noir and the cabaret of the Assassins
Sacre coeur church and artists’ square – icon of Bohemian Paris
The extravagant home of eccentric pop singer Dalida – and what it means to French pop culture
Windmills, vineyards and Paris’ most celebrated 180° view
The haunts of Renoir, Picasso and Amélie – and how they matter to the rest of the world
The best view of Sacre Coeur – and why no one ever goes there

Notre Dame and the Heart of Paris Tour
Gargoyles and flying buttresses
The scale of good and evil, and Paris’ headless saint
The pros and cons of living right next to Notre Dame
Woody Allen vs. Harry Potter vs. Victor Hugo
Heloise and Abelard: the world’s greatest true love story?
Napoleon, Point Zero and Notre-Dame’s brand-new bells.

Trendy Marais Tour
Refined town-houses of the French aristocracy – and tales of their escapades and life styles
Places des Vosges and secluded parks and gardens where Parisians stroll
Hotel de Sully: the stunning gem you do not see coming
Paris’ “good-looking only” bar
The ever-changing Jewish pletzl
The fashion stores that set the trend one year ahead – and how to stay ahead of them

Paris Landmarks
Our short walk takes us from the Paris Opera to the Concorde, where the guillotine took the life of King Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette, and where today Tour de France runs its grand finale.
The haunts of Coco Chanel, Hemingway and Princess Diana, and the Texas Embassy (that’s right!)
Place Vendôme – where owning a store is a haughty statement and every shop window is worth over €1 million
Some of the world’s most exclusive, most acclaimed hotels – Crillon, Meurice, Ritz and now Mandarin Oriental
Do not miss Louvre, Orsay and the Orangerie – three of the world’s greatest museums
Photo opportunities for Arc de Triumph, Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysées and Sacré Coeur/Montmartre in the distance

Latin Quarter
Left Bank tour
Sorbonne University, the Pantheon and Luxembourg gardens
Student drinking holes and elegant café terraces
The haunts of the Unicorn, Cyrano de Bergerac, Hemingway and even Italy’s Dante Alighieri
Place de la Sorbonne – student traditions and rites of passage
Where to find the blade of the Guillotine
Photo opportunity galore – including an unconventional view of the Eiffel tower

Saint-Germain and the River
the Paris of Jazz, history, the arts, fashion – and fun
Where Picasso painted his most important work – “Guernica”
a born-and-raised local guide to lead you through this mystery-filled maze
Insider’s tips: what to do, where to go, clubs, cafés, and authentic restaurants
BOOK NOW

hidden gems and secret Paris tour
• an on-going flow of hidden gems and secret places
• shopping and photo opportunities not listed in guide-books
• free-flowing conversation with an engaging and enthusiastic guide, and uninterrupted shopping & eating tips from a born-and-raised local
• 90 minutes, in English, with a surprisingly short and comfortable route

mama squeak!

  • Guest
^sis, since free naman (though you are encouraged to tip the tour guide) and the walking tours are 1.5 hours or let's say sa 2 hours na lang. You can do 3-4 walks a day depending on your energy level na rin. Though I haven't been on any of these walks it would be a good introduction to Paris.

Otherwise, you can combine these walks together since magkakalapit lang sila:

Marais + Notre Dame + Paris landmarks

Latin Quarter + St. Germain

Montmartre

Or just DIY the whole thing.  ;)

If you have time pa and the energy you can do the hidden gems tour. But I'm really not to keen on this kasi sa ibang walks madadaanan mo rin naman ito. Since it will be your first time in Paris I would suggest to do the other walks first. Oh and don't forget to try the river Seine cruise. There are different boat companies depende na lang saan ka sasakay. It's touristy and a bit expensive but it's a good way of orienting you on the popular landmarks there since dadaanan nyo halos lahat.

luckypal

  • Guest
^thanks, mama squeak! :)

I've also been using Visitacity for DIY itineraries as well. I think I read that in one of the European tours threads and it's been really helpful! I also look at tripadvisor and saw that these walking tours are highly rated so might as well give it a try.

I haven't researched much on Lyon yet. Do you have any suggestions on where to eat over there? :) My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

mama squeak!

  • Guest
Oh Lyon! We love that city! It's a foodie paradise! Almost all naman dun masarap from the high end to the hole in the wall restos. We've tried Bernachon (you have to book in advance), the restaurants at rue Marronniers (inisa-isa namin hehe), Les Halles covered food market and one particular colorful hole in the wall restaurant near a church. I'll try to look for my files for the restaurant's name just in case you have time to look for it. It's really worth it!

kachich

  • Guest
Hello Paris veterans especially @mama squeak!

Here's my final itinerary for Paris trip after skimming the threads:
Thursday: (PM) Trocadero view of Eiffel tower
Friday: (AM) Notre Dame - picture lang, fly to KEF
Saturday: Louvre,Tuileries, Champs Elysees (buy LC), Arc de Triomphe
Sunday: Versailles
Monday: Montemarte area (Sacre Coure)

I will get 2 day Paris Museum Pass that I will activate on Saturday for Louvre and Versailles to skip the lines.

Thinking of getting the carnet -Or parang 6 times ko lang siya magagamit based on the itinerary above?

Where can I buy the Eiffel tower Keychains na 1euro/3 pcs?

Can I enter the French Garden and Marie-Antoinette's hamlet with the Paris Museum Pass?

Tama ba na sa Jardins de Trocadero to get a good picture of Eiffel?

I like doing grocery to buy pasalubongs -- if I'm staying in Montmarte area--do you know a good grocery?

Can I take photos using a tripod on most places(Trocadero/Eiffel Tower/Sacre Coure/Louvre)? I'm thinking 1) baka hablutin and camera 2) bawal on some areas?

Thanks for all your inputs!

mama squeak!

  • Guest
^sorry sis I got confused with your IT. You fly out Friday afternoon then back Saturday?

Just read your post again in the Euro thread, you'll be in Reykjavik pala for a few days then back in Paris a week after.

Where can I buy the Eiffel tower Keychains na 1euro/3 pcs?

They're everywhere usually sa mga vendors na naglalatag lang ng mat sa mga tourist attractions. My SIL got hers at Sacre Coeur. If I remember right, meron din kaming pinuntahan na souvenir shop at the back of the church going towards Place  du Tertre. Maraming shops dun tanong-tanong ka lang. Usually they will give you a good price if you buy in bulk.

Can I enter the French Garden and Marie-Antoinette's hamlet with the Paris Museum Pass?

Yes. http://en.parismuseumpass.com/musee-chateaux-de-versailles-et-de-trianon-64.htm

Tama ba na sa Jardins de Trocadero to get a good picture of Eiffel?
Can I take photos using a tripod on most places(Trocadero/Eiffel Tower/Sacre Coure/Louvre)? I'm thinking 1) baka hablutin and camera 2) bawal on some areas?

If you want the full-on iconic view of the tower, yes, the Trocadero is the best place to take pictures.
Re tripods, yes you can I've seen some visitors use these at most of the tourist attractions but have not seen them inside the Louvre or Versailles. I think bawal pag inside (?). Yeah and you have that possibility na bigla nga hablutin. On the same note, madalas meron mag-ooffer sa amin ni hubby to take our pictures pero we always politely decline. Mahirap na baka itakbo yung camera namin. Buti na lang may selfie sticks. Lol!

I like doing grocery to buy pasalubongs -- if I'm staying in Montmarte area--do you know a good grocery?

There are a lot of grocery stores in the area, Monoprix, Franprix, even a Carrefour. What you can do is do a google map of the area where you are staying then search for grocery stores nearby.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:09:19 pm by mama squeak! »

kachich

  • Guest
Thank you, mama squeak!
Kabado ako sa camera ko but will take the chance na, agahan ko na lang sa Trocadero on my second day for a good photo.

Watching youtube videos na for basic french.

mama squeak!

  • Guest
Yup, that's a good plan. Though there are tourist police who roam the areas still better to take extra pre-caution.

mathet

  • Guest
awww... 2.5 hours train ride na ang annecy to lyon :( food trip lang naman gusto namin gawin sa paris bukod sa splurge in taking good pictures within the city.... ill try to see if we can spend the day or two sa lyon :)

thanks mamasqueak for the info...

ill di my research so ai can finalize our almost 3 weeks itinerary... july 14 pa naman travel namin but I have to prepare so we can have out itinerary needed in the embassy...

kachich

  • Guest
Just 24 hours in Paris, now bound for Reykjavík.

Day 1: 4pm arrival in CDG but was able to get to my hostel 6pm pa. I asked around regarding Paris Museum Pass from the Information and ticket station (from the Airport) and they kept on telling me na it is only available in Paris, will buy na lang siguro Louvre :(
730 pm --Trocadero, it is still under construction but there is an area where the tourist can get a good view of Eiffel. Managed to catch the light show :)
I was so tired from the flight that all I wanted to do was sleep so I went back to my hostel.

Day 2: Went to Champ de Mars area and walked until I was under Eiffel Tower na. There was a lady who asked for me to sign on a petition, I dont want to but she was mapilit. I signed tapos she was asking for a donation. Sabi ko No. Biglang lumapit yung kasama nya and told me ba tatawagin niya Police cause I already signed, sabi ko Go ahead call the Police. Umalis na sila. Went back to the hostel to check out and get my luggage for my flight.

That was the only bad thing that happened during my 24 hour stay. People were nice. When I was in the metro, this guy gave me his seat (siguro kasi I looked tired and was looking for a seat). Nag sosorry sila if natamaan nila ako, and some were very helpful din (this person made sure I was able to get on the train despite siksikan).

And I was able to buy Keychains for 1Euro for 5 pcs in Trocadero. Ang bait nung  African American na nagbenta.

Will get back here after a week. :)

mama squeak!

  • Guest
^hindi kaya ikaw naintindihan? We always get our Paris Museum pass at the arrival area since mahaba pila madalas sa mga tourist attractions in Paris.

http://en.parismuseumpass.com/rub-t-points-of-sale-3.htm?cat=3
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:44:55 pm by mama squeak! »

kachich

  • Guest
^baka nga :( nung nagtanong kasi ako dun sa Information Center, tinuro niya lang ako sa tickets counter ng train, sabay ko kasi tinanong kung saan yung bilihan ng Paris Museum Pass and ticket to Paris.

inertia

  • Guest
Leaving for Paris tomorrow (yippee!) and i havent packed a single thing... Anyone of you sisses in paris right now? What's the temperature like? Ok lang ba to bring cardigans lang, no need for heavy coats?

Cramming....:-)

Thanks!

mathet

  • Guest
anybody tried to buy pandora in an outlet shop in france or near paris? :)

minnie99

  • Guest
Yey, can finally join this thread. Will be going to France for a 2-week training. Wala pang ticket pero inaasikaso na ng organizers. Hehe. Training is in Strasbourg, but the weekends are off, so I was thinking of traveling to Paris overnight (my boss will ask his friend to accommodate me). Nalilito lang ako sa train tickets. Is this the site where I book: http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/ ?

June na pala yung travel ko. Hopefully kaya ko pa ma-afford ang tickets.

Maya backread ako on what I can do in two days. :) Requesting extension of another 2 days pa... hehe. Dad's friend wants to give me tickets kasi to Disney. Sayang naman. :P

mama squeak!

  • Guest
^yup you can use that site. They also have a mobile app you can download, much easier and more convenient to use. Or a cheaper option is to take the Ouibus though longer travel time at 6hrs but they have an 11pm Friday trip arriving Paris at 6am the next day. Or train ka all the way (2hrs) or combination bus/train. Dami options sa transpo.

Check mo CX at $830 RT. They have a promo until the 31st of May. You can buy online just click on the promo banner on their homepage.

minnie99

  • Guest
Thanks, mama squeak! Might consider the bus, good option din yun. :) Will wait for advise from the organizer lang on my tickets before I book for trip to Paris.

Has anyone here been to Strasbourg? From what I've heard, maganda din naman pala dun, pero siyempre this might be might last time in France so might as well tour a little in Paris! :D Hopefully will be staying near Sacre Couer where my boss' friend lives.

mama squeak!

  • Guest
^I have :)  I have blog posts on our visit to Strasbourg and the Alsace wine route. Just click on my signature, bawal to post links to personal blogs on the thread kasi eh.

minnie99

  • Guest
^Thanks sis! Will check it. :)

Unfortunately, may visitors pala yung friend ng boss ko so now I am looking at apartments on AirBnB. Found this one with great reviews about the host and the location. Will only be doing 1 night naman in Paris. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5736928

It's in Vaugirard (15eme arr? Tama ba? haha). Tried looking sa mga suggested na locations (4eme/5eme arr) ni mama squeak but ang hirap mag-work within a budget. Baka taasan ko na lang, after all, will be staying one night naman. But any feedback sa Vaugirard area?

Just wanna see the iconic places naman without going inside: Eiffel Tower, Sacre Couer, Champs Elysee, Arch de Triomphe... Lol di pa talaga ako nakakapag-research but I'm not too keen on seeing everything since side-trip lang naman ito. :) Ang overwhelming kasi tingnan ng map ng central Paris dahil parang ang laki pero the AirBnB hosts are saying na everything is just a few minutes walk  :o Haha.

mama squeak!

  • Guest
^When in June will you be in Paris? I'll be back there but overnight lang on my way to Toulouse and Provence. If timing our dates I can show you around the main sights. :)

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close