watch now

Author Topic: kids being educated abroad then moving back in the philippines  (Read 6771 times)

miksha

  • Guest
kids being educated abroad then moving back in the philippines
« on: October 17, 2012, 05:44:54 pm »
for families who have kids abroad, where do you plan to send your child if ever you come back to the philippines? i know there are "philippine schools" in different countries and if you're child is enrolled in one then all schooling done abroad will be credited. But for those who opt for non-filipino schools, where will you send your child (say middle of elementary na siya) kapag bigla kayo nauwi na sa pinas?

ullala

  • Guest
Re: kids being educated abroad then moving back in the philippines
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 12:30:46 am »
I can relate to this scenario. We moved to Manila when I was 12 and it was very hard to adjust in my first school. Personally, I would say any prestigious CoEd school should be fine (CSA, La Salle Zobel etc) because an all-exclusive school might come as too much of a shock, but if that is not one of your concerns I would think that your child would also have an easy time adjusting to schools such as Ateneo, LSGH, Poveda or AC. The kids in these schools generally have a wider exposure to different cultures and countries and might be more accepting of a balikbayan (as a matter of fact, many of the students in these schools who were born here, don't speak Tagalog fluently)

aquacharly

  • Guest
Re: kids being educated abroad then moving back in the philippines
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:19:18 am »
In the exclusive schools, uh hmmm - prep your kid for "culture shock".  Most are brought up sheltered, pampered & live a life of comfort/privilege.  These are kids who travel overseas -- a lot of  Filipinos now enjoy the perks  of overseas travel (thanks to the new airlines).   


khriseeee

  • Guest
Re: kids being educated abroad then moving back in the philippines
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:14:24 pm »
My family moved back to the Philippines when I was 7 and none of the local schools would accept me as I did not understand tagalog or mandarin. Ending was my parents sent my brother and I to an international school.

I personally have never heard of any school abroad that caters to the Philippine curriculum, if you find one, good and well, but keep in mind local schools are "maarte" and may still not accept your child.

One thing to consider is the school curriculum being offered where you are moving and checking if there is a local school that offers the same. For example, there are schools who follow the US curriculum (and are even accredited), Singapore curriculum, British, etc. That way in the event your family moves back to Manila you will have a school with the same curriculum that your is used to.

Teaching style and school philosophy towards teaching is important too. Again, from first hand experience I had a hard time when I moved into college (Ateneo). In my highschool, a lot of importance on understanding, interpreting and writing. When I got to Ateneo I had a shock - they placed more importance on memorization and knowing information in verbatim. Very disappointed. Oh and papers I wrote in 9th grade were the same papers I submitted in my English courses and I still ended up with a high grade. Though the business courses are another story hehe

eleynba

  • Guest
Re: kids being educated abroad then moving back in the philippines
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 08:54:34 am »
Similar situation here.

We are moving back to Philippines this end of Q1 2013.  Our daughters are studying in an all girls school overseas. Naturally, the daughters prefer the same setting.  After much considerations, we chose Paref Woodrose.  Aside from following Singapore curriculum in their Math and Science, they put emphasis on character building and home and school collaboration.

Natuwa pa kami coz during the kids interview, they were told the school provide extra 'Filipino' lesson for non Tagalog speakers.

If you are staying somewhere in South of Metro Manila, you can consider Woodrose for your daughter and Southridge for your son.

miksha

  • Guest
Re: kids being educated abroad then moving back in the philippines
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 02:58:25 pm »
thank you! very helpful ang  mga replies. Very nice naman yan about woodrose. Mas gusto ko lang sana na hindi hiwalay ang girls from boys para once school age na ang firl toddler ko well magkasama sila sa school nang kuya niya

oreo08

  • Guest
Re: kids being educated abroad then moving back in the philippines
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 07:49:59 am »
if we were to move to the Philippines temporarily, I would like to send our daughter to an international school (Brent or IS), or yung may International Baccalaureate curriculum... or an exclusive all girls school (Paref Woodrose or Poveda)

insanelypurpleprincess

  • Guest
Re: kids being educated abroad then moving back in the philippines
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 10:41:15 pm »
Speaking from personal experience, my parents tried sending me to Saint Jude Catholic School after we moved back from New Zealand and it didn't turn out too well, so I only lasted about a month before they moved me to another school. Luckily, they found PAREF Woodrose and I managed to settle in rather well. Then, we had to leave again... for Uni, I was sent to DLSU first then later UA&P.

icee_star

  • Guest
Re: kids being educated abroad then moving back in the philippines
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 06:40:05 am »
in case of my child, from Singapore 3 years preschool and Grade 1, we moved back here and I enrolled her sa isang traditional private school malapit sa bahay naming. So far ok naman, but yes of course except Filipino and Sibika. Though other subjects like Math and Science, she told me na alam na niya yung ibang tinuturo but then kasi nga advanced ang turo sa SG.

overall, ok naman ang experience. For the speaking language, they practice din naman English sa school na yun so madali na rin naka-adapt ang daughter ko.

**My Sweet November**

  • Guest
Re: kids being educated abroad then moving back in the philippines
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 11:01:25 am »
My 3 kids will continue their schooling in the Philippines for the very first time. We arrived in the Philippines last April 19 and at this juncture we are adjusting to the current scenario slowly but surely. Two of my 3 kiddos studied in the Philippine School Doha from their Kindergarten 1 Level until Grade 4 (for Kid1) and until Grade 1 (for Kid2).

I have yet to comment regarding their school experience. I will post further feedback once they started their school this coming July 3.

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close