Author Topic: scandinavia anyone?  (Read 4852 times)

mrs. sweet

• Mom of Erica & Elyza and a
  • Super GirlTalker
Re: scandinavia anyone?
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 09:42:02 am »
^True, just like South Island of NZ. That's why I love them both!! :D

I love seeing rainbows, it's everywhere when we were in Iceland. Meron pa double rainbows. Nakakaaliw!!

Frozen Toes

• Baby Beast &
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2017, 11:11:25 am »
Went on a 17-day trip to Helsinki, Stockholm, Bergen, and Reykjavik. Traveled from Manila to Helsinki (and v.v.) via Finnair. Flew from one city to the next with Norwegian, SAS, and Icelandair. Total number of flights: 10. I don't want to get on a plane for the next few months.

Here are my favorites:

1.) Favorite People: The Finns. Such warm and friendly folks. I heard our bus driver tell a tourist, "We are a simple people. We like the simple life." I love them! I felt safe around them. Kids and dogs are everywhere, even in the airport. Helsinki felt like home. I actually see myself living there.

2.) Favorite City: Stockholm. It is gorgeous! Beautiful architecture, amazing museums esp the Vasamuseet. Going around is a bit expensive though. Single journey metro ticket costs about PHP 250.

3.) Favorite attraction: Norwegian fjords. We did Norway in a Nutshell, stayed in Bergen for 3 days, and skipped Oslo altogether. The fjord cruise experience was overwhelming. I think it was the fjords' fault that I was mildly disappointed with Iceland.

kaye_82

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2018, 01:50:21 am »
hi sis Frozen Toes, how was your experience with Norway in a Nutshell? my friend and I are planning on booking our Norway tour with them as well, but since we've learned its a non-guided tour, we got quite hesitant since we are not very good with directions.

i would love to hear your comments sis and your experience :)

also, we have 5 full days in Norway, kaya ba ito sa Bergen lang or we can also include another city to visit? TIA for your responses and also to all our sisses na nakapunta na din sa Norway if you can please share your stories as well. TIA :)
In God, I trust.

Frozen Toes

• Baby Beast &
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2018, 11:32:36 am »
^ I replied at length to your PM. : ) But short answer is yes, joining the Nutshell "tour" was worth it. It was more convenient than booking all those bus and train rides on our own.

We didn't go anywhere else other than Bergen so can't give an opinion about visiting other towns/cities. If we had more time, I would've definitely chosen to see more of Norway. Gorgeous, absolutely stunning country.

kaye_82

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2018, 02:29:58 pm »
thanks sis Frozen Toes, i'll go through it and send across further queries for sure :)
In God, I trust.

kireinachean

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2019, 08:20:33 pm »
sis Frozen Toes, I'd like to do this sana Norway in a Nutshell, but I have 2 kids with me (age 7 and 2), would you recommend doing this with kids?

Also hows your experience in Finn Air? would you mind to share din the cost of Norway in a Nutshell?

Thank you, we are planning this for my sons 7th birthday kase next January 2020, wed  like to do Helsinki-Rovaniemi-Stockholm-Oslo/Bergen/Norway in a Nutshell-Copenhagen

michi247

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2019, 07:52:52 am »
Mas okay ba pagbook na lang ng plane ticket or mag train na lang. I'm checking kasi yung Copenhagen to Stockholm, almost 8 hrs ang train ride.

I'm also checking Norway in a Nutshell, kaso parang ang mahal nga kung Round trip lang, natry niyo na ba magDIY?

melodymedley

• Junior GirlTalker
    • Adventure Accounting: Balancing Life on a Budget
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2019, 08:23:08 pm »
^I DIY-ed NiN last September 2018.  ;) Easier than I thought. Almost everyone that was travelling in my chosen route had the package, so hindi ako praning kung saan bababa. Everyone was getting off at the same stop/station anyway.

I did the Bergen to Oslo route. I stayed 3 nights in Bergen (AirBnb), 3 nights in Flam (Flam Hostel) and 4 nights in Oslo (AirBnb).

I flew into Bergen from London via Norweigian Air.
Train from Bergen (08:43H) to Voss (09:56) - NOK 210. I purchased the train ticket on the station on the day itself . Wala naman kasing discount if I purchase early, plenty of seats too when I rode the train.
Bus from Voss (10:10) to Gudvangen (11:20) - NOK 57. I bought the ticket via the app. You can also buy the ticket from the driver but there's a NOK 20 surcharge per zone. Since Voss and Gudvangen are in 2 different zones, the surcharge is NOK 40. Nakinig ako sa AirBnb host ko to buy tix via the Skyss app. (I had an EU sim so no hassle for me).
Boat from Gudvangen (11:30) to Flam (13:30) - NOK 475 Fjord Cruise N?r?yfjord - purchased online a day before the trip.

I stayed in Flam for 3 nights. I did one day exploring Aurland (Stegastein viewpoint plus that fjord viewing spot that I cannot recall), and in another day, I took the train from Flam to Myrdal (NOK 390) and walked going back to Flam (20km, 5.5 hours na downhill naman). The Flam to Myrdal walk was the highlight of my Norway leg. Note: I had to repeat the Flam to Myrdal train because I decided to hike from Myrdal to Flam. If you don't want to do this, you can just do the Flam to Oslo train with a stop in Myrdal).

Flam Railway from Flam to Oslo - NOK 639 via NSB website. I purchased this 7 weeks ahead.

The DIY was easier than I thought. Uupuan mo lang nga dapat yung pre-booking.

The downside was the weather when I was in Bergen. It was raining during the 3 nights I was there, so I wasn't able to do the "Vidden" trail that I planned. And Mount Floyen was closed due to strong winds. Weather was better when I got to Oslo.

In my experience, having a contactless credit card is better than cash. There are some food stalls and some museums in Norway, Sweden and Denmark that doesn't accept cash at all. E.g. ABBA Museum in Sweden, and almost yung mga food plazas wherein I ate, they don't accept cash talaga. I still have spare NOK 200 if you want. :) After my Norway experience, hindi na ako nag-withdraw ng cash during my stay in Sweden (6 nights) and Denmark (3 nights).
Balancing Life on a Budget
http://www.adventureaccounting.com/

melodymedley

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2019, 08:25:42 pm »
Mas okay ba pagbook na lang ng plane ticket or mag train na lang. I'm checking kasi yung Copenhagen to Stockholm, almost 8 hrs ang train ride.

I did the train from Stockholm to Copenhagen, paid SEK 395, booked via the SJ website. The travel time was just 6 hours dun sa train na nakuha ko. I advise book early because that 8-hour ride might be the slow train.

michi247

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2019, 07:34:49 am »
^ sobrang thank you sa DIY NiN information. Hindi ka nag-avail ng Oslo Pass, Stockholm Pass or Copenhagen Pass?

Mukhang maulan lagi sa Bergen, nung naglayover kami before from Iceland, umuulan sa Bergen pero sa Trondheim hindi.

kireinachean

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2019, 03:09:45 pm »
^sis would you recommend Norway in a Nutshell with kids? Thanks

michi247

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2019, 08:28:48 am »
^ Hindi ko pa siya natry pero I think pwede naman kids.
Check this blog, https://happinesstravelshere.com/norway-in-a-nutshell-with-kids/

melodymedley

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2019, 07:53:47 pm »
I think NiN is doable for kids, though I don't recall bumping into a family travelling together. Do note that NiN requires you to catch the next train/bus/boat, so kelangan lang i-huddle lagi I guess yung kids to the next destination. Catching the next leg naman is very doable and kaya sa time, pero if you go to the CR or take loads of photos, you might miss your next ride.

I didn't avail any of the passes. I just got the 7-day transpo card for Stockholm kasi sulit sya for me.

Oo nga pala, nung dun sa bus ride namin Voss to Gudvangen, the driver took another route. I overheard his conversation with a passenger who asked him why he didn't take the long winding route with a beautiful view. The driver said that they've been doing an alternative route for a couple of weeks because trees fell due to a storm.

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close