watch now

Author Topic: Anxious Flier  (Read 4115 times)

alexandrea

  • Guest
Anxious Flier
« on: July 04, 2012, 03:40:05 pm »
I've flown many times but my fear of flying just gets worse and worse. :(

I don't want my fear to get in the way of enjoying new sights and places. But yeah, I have to suck it up each time I get on a plane.

For my last trip, I deliberately didn't get sleep the night before so that I could nap during the flight. Alas, I was wide awake with fear anyway, so that tactic was useless. At one point, after a bout of bad turbulence that lasted for only about five minutes, I felt the onset of panic attack. I was having a hard time breathing and I somehow convinced myself that the cabin air got compromised. But when I looked around me, everyone else was calm -- some even seemed bored. It was then when I realized that I was panicking. Luckily, I was able to tell myself to relax.

I haven't had a bad flight yet in spite of my frequent travels, which just makes me think that I'm due for one soon. Waaaah.   :'(

Any tips?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 04:07:48 pm by alexandrea »

keyton11

  • Guest
Re: Anxious Flyer
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 02:35:32 pm »
Hi sis! Ganyan din ako minsan, lalo na kung long flights. Bukod sa unang una na prayer, nakakatulong din sakin kapag iniisip ko na everyday nga ilang planes ba yung umaalis hindi naman sila napapano. It gives me peace somehow.


nageinna

  • Guest
Re: Anxious Flyer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 12:07:02 am »
same with me matatakutin din ako. konting shake lang ng plane lakas na ng kabog ng dibdib ko. and never din akong nakatulog even sa long hour flights. what i do, naglalagay lang ako ng movies sa ipad ko to keep me busy and i bring books with me. good thing i love to read kaya once nagbabasa na ko i can easily forget my worries. and syempre i pray lang. pag nagsshake yung plane i just pray to Him na alisin Niya yung takot ko and after a while i'll feel better na. or if a super long flight i'll take sleeping pills. as long as im traveling with someone. :)

alexandrea

  • Guest
Re: Anxious Flyer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 08:35:05 pm »
Thanks sa tips, sisses.

Yung flight ko to Europe, siguro mga one hour lang an tulog ko. O.O Gising na gising ako all the time, acutely aware and hypersensitive to every tiny bump and shake. Hay!

Sis nageinna, anong brand ng sleeping pills mo? Nakaka-tempt mag sleeping pills kaso iba pa rin ang alert sa flight, just in case. Hay praning talaga ako!

nageinna

  • Guest
Re: Anxious Flyer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 02:53:43 pm »
^sleepasil sis. you travel alone ba madalas? if long haul flights suggest to take sleeping pills nalang para walang nerbiyos talaga. ganyan din ako never ako nakakatulog sa long flights nang sarili lang. as in never. though hindi naman ako super nerbyosa but mabilis akong kabahan sa mga bumps.

Ma.Jewel_1987

  • Guest
Re: Anxious Flier
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 02:53:30 am »
Ako naman whenever I fly, I'm having hard time breathing pag nasa plane, ewan ko ba, pero somehow nacocontrol ko sya, hindi ko lang alam kung ano mangyayari pag tipong 12 hrs yung flight, so far kasi puro local places pa lang napupuntahan ko.

littlemissbiatch

  • Guest
Re: Anxious Flier
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 02:19:24 pm »
Hay, I feel you. The first few times I flew I was very brave pa, I would always be looking out the window. But those were on business trips when I was riding larger aircraft, which tend to be more stable. After I flew CebuPac a couple of times ayun na, all the blood would drain from my face at the slightest bump.

I know in theory turbulence is nothing dangerous, parang speed bumps lang when you're in a car (in fact you are more likely daw to die from plane food than from turbulence), pero kahit anong effort ko to convince myself na ok lang yun natatakot pa din ako.

Now if I can afford it I try to fly with bigger planes. If not I select a seat na lang near the wing, because they say that's the most stable part. Tapos I always bring fluffy socks (I usually wear flats when flying) kasi mas madali makatulog if your feet are warm. I'm thinking if medyo pangit yung weather baka i-consider ko mag-ZzzQuil or something.

pret_ty68

  • Guest
Re: Anxious Flier
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 04:43:41 pm »
I can relate. Kahit paulit ulit na akong nag ta travel iba talaga ang pakiramdam ko pag nasa plane. Pag may turbulence parang gusto kong sumigaw. Sensitive rin ako kapag gumagalaw ang aircraft.

Prayers lang sis pag nasa plane at nag take off na ang eroplano I pray novena to sacred heart tumitigil lang ako pag medyo stable na yung plane. I read books or magazine na lang habang nasa plane para malibang nang konti pero andun pa rin talaga ang kaba. Hindi rin ako nakakatulog. Kahit paulit ulit kung sinasabi at iniisip na God is in Control. Lalo na ngayon after the malaysian airlines incident and I have a scheduled travel to Malaysia soon parang ngayon pa lang natatakot na ako. Iniisip ko na rin lang na di naman pwedeng tumigil ang buhay ko dahil lang takot ako sumakay nang eroplano. Pero once na nakauwi na ako after my travel ang saya saya ko dahil I conquered my fear.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 04:47:31 pm by pret_ty68 »

k_heart

  • Guest
Re: Anxious Flier
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 12:37:59 am »
he!he!he! Naku,kasali ako dito. kahit lagi ako nagta-travel out of the country at long-haul flights pa,
lagi pa din ako stressed. Ipinagdadasal ko lahat lalo na ang pilot.
although i feel safest pag flying sa PAl kaya ayun, halos lagi lang akong PAL.

I watched movies (padamihan kami ng hubby at kids ko ng mapapanood, i look forward kung ano dinner or breakfast sa plane para i have something to look forward to, and everytime may matapis na meal, i know that we are closer sa destination, read magazines and look for something to buy sa mabuhay magazine, and instead of sleeping pills, sinutab.ha!ha! oks naman pero
lagi pa din tumatalon ang heart ko pag may turbulence lalo na pag sudden drop.

Luckily, yung latest trip namin, smooth talaga.Thank you Lord.

Peeo may officemate ako, na ayaw talaga magtravel,abroad kahit she has the means kasi super scared sya sumakay sa plane.

alexandrea

  • Guest
Re: Anxious Flier
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 12:04:43 am »
I flew a lot of times nung 2013, mostly overseas trips so medyo nabawasan na ang fear ko. Pero takot pa rin ako lalo na from takeoff up until the time na the seatbelt sign is turned off.

aquacharly

  • Guest
Re: Anxious Flier
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 04:39:49 am »
Some remedies tried by my sisters/BFFs who have flight anxieties:   

         1/2 tab.  Retrovil
         A glass of champagne/wine to relax
         Dramamine
         Noise-canceling earphones to watch movies with non-stop
         ZZZZquil
         
Always change into some comfy loose clothes (a caftan perhaps) & wear thick not-tight socks & slipper shoes

A BFF of mine travels with her own pillow.
         
     

05149S2

  • Guest
Re: Anxious Flier
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 06:39:09 pm »
I'm an anxious flier too. I always take domestic flights pero I'm always uneasy every time. I don't think planes kasi are "that" safe, like one wrong move and that's it. But again, that's my paranoia talking. I experienced my first air turbulence during an Incheon-Manila flight via Cebu Pacific. First time ko, but it was so terrible lahat ng tao sa plane nanahimik and I think nagdadasal on their own. When the stewardess announced to buckle our seatbelts due to the condition, it didn't help na pati siya nanginginig habang nagsasalita =))

When I feel uneasy/anxious I do these:

- I pray.
- Make chika with my companion. During the air turbulence, kinausap ko ng kinausap ang sister ko just to calm myself, para maisantabi yung nangyayari.
- Listen to my ipod.
- Watch funny movies.
- Take a nap.
- Consider the rough situation like a roller coaster ride, literally. Yung tipong kunwari nagra-rides lang ako sa amusement park.

Never pa ako nag-take ng medications kasi hindi naman ako inaatake. Personality ko lang talaga yung may pagka-negative.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 06:41:50 pm by 05149S2 »

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close