watch now

Author Topic: European Tours Thread 3  (Read 104853 times)

Mhoirae

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2012, 01:00:11 am »
@triggerhappy, i don't think 250k will be enough for a 34 day trip.
anyway, since you will be on honeymoon, wouldn't you like to have a few "off" days when you are not sightseeing.  why not look into spending a few days in the beaches in the South of France or the island of Capri in Italy or my personal favorite, Positano in Italy's Amalfi Coast.

triggerhappy

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2012, 01:29:17 am »
Oooo..I just checked positano in tripadvisor, and I love it! Thanks for the idea!  :-* Btw, for how long lang kaya will our 250k/person budget take us?

Post modified. Please refrain from quoting posts, use the ^ or @ sign instead.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 08:35:07 am by mama squeak! »

mama squeak!

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2012, 08:47:53 am »
^sis, for our 20 day trip (including travel time) our expenses so far is at EUR6000 (roughly 300K). That already includes airfare/trains/car rental/B&Bs/apartment/local transpo passes/museum passes. I prepaid most of it na (the wonders of internet!!!). Ang hindi pa included is our food and shopping money.

So, 500K for both you and hubby, you might be able to work that out. Since you already have a place to stay both in London and Italy, that already is a big chunk of savings there. Plus if you travel off-season, you can save more on airfares and hotel/B&B stays.

What you should do first, is decide where you want to go. Then get a hold of a map and check where each of the places are located. From there you can start your planning na.

 :)

triggerhappy

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2012, 03:31:20 pm »
^ Thanks sis! So ok na pala yung budget namin. We are planning to go september next year so medyo peak season pa yata nun, siguro we'll eat out once a day nalang, then limit namin shopping para tipid. Im excited to start planning na, madami pa kase inaayos for the wedding kaya hindi ako makaconcentrate.  ;D

mama squeak!

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2012, 04:27:11 pm »
^In the meantime you can backread on this thread and the previous Euro threads plus the other European destination threads to give you tips on how to plan a DIY trip.

 :)

melodymedley

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #145 on: September 18, 2012, 06:59:40 pm »
@sis triggerhappy: My Europe trip for 3 weeks costs somewhat like that including moderate shopping (and may onting sukli pa). But I was backpacking and saying in dorms which cost 25-30 euros a night. For a honeymoon trip, you'll probably want to stay in pretty nice accommodations which will cost twice, thrice or even more that that. For a leisurely-chillax pace, perhaps 3 base cities would do.

Ang ganda nga pumunta ngayon to take advantage of the favorable EUR/PHP rate. When I was there last year, nasa 1EUR=PHP 61-62. Ngayon, 1EUR=Php 53/54. Saya mag-shopping and kumain! So cheers to mama squeak, snowkittycat and all other GT sissies going there soon! Enjoy!  ;)

melodymedley

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2012, 07:27:46 pm »
I suggest more time in Italy because there's just soooo much to see there! Well, I am also biased towards Venice because I love that city!

I believe mama squeak and Mhoirae gave pretty good insights in your itinerary. So for me, my insights on solo travel in Europe.

@Mhoirae, @mamasqueak, and @melodymedley

My two friends backed out of the Eurotrip due to issues on the required budget for the trip, thus, leaving me to do this as a solo DIY trip.

I can totally relate to this. Europe requires some money and time for one vacation. It is difficult to find people who will really commit their time and money for one trip. Aside from funds, your friends may have different valid priorities in a year or two - and you'll be left hanging with your dream. It is good that they informed you that they can't commit so you can explore other options as early as now.

For some people, they would look at it as just "flushing money" for a couple of weeks  - as I was told a gazillion times when I shared my budget to others. But what the heck, if it is your dream, go for it! Walang pangarap na "masyadong mahal" as long as you are willing to give it proper attention. Some people would disregard going to Europe kasi "ang mahal dun eh!". Ang masasabi ko: "edi mag-ipon!".  ;D Wag aayaw dahil mahal at mahirap. Magipon at magtiyaga! Okay, nasosobrahan nako sa pep talk.  ;D

Our sissies here give good support and insights in DIY planning (nakarating na ng thread 3!). GT was an instrument in making my trip a success. I give 100,000% support to try DIY solo Europe. I do understand na mahirap talaga ang planning stage dahil overwhelming ang info and talagang gusto mo puntahan lahat! But I enjoyed planning too! It is such a high when all you've neatly typed in your IT will come true. I wasn't able to do everything I planned but yung mga nagkatotoo... WOW. No words would completely capture that feeling.

You will have a blast!  8)  ;)

Mhoirae

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2012, 10:50:02 pm »
@melodymedley, i totally agree with you. people might think that spending six figures on a trip is just a waste of money and totally impractical, but I believe that the life experiences one gains from traveling are priceless.
And better do it while you are still earning and active.  Hirap naman na you work and work and the day comes na you want to travel na, your body naman is not capable anymore. 

And Europe, I think, more than any place in the world, gives so much life lessons and lasting memories to those who have explored it.

So I say, kudos to people who are willing to work and spend for their dream. =)

Mhoirae

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2012, 11:25:49 pm »
And some practical advice, to those planning to go to Europe more than 6 months from now...
You can buy euro now while it is low and invest it in BPI's ALFM Euro Fund.   Your money will be earning and by the time of your European trip, your investment might earn you a nice little sum.

triggerhappy

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2012, 03:06:06 am »
^ Thanks sis mama squeak! Ill do that, by february mangungulit nako sa thread na to. hehe.  ;D

@melodymedley, our trip will be 8 months after the wedding, so parang 2nd honeymoon na siya. We're not maarte naman with the accommodations, kahit dorms ok lang samin, we're used travelling that way hehe. And I loove planning our trips, lahat ng napuntahan namin DIY lang, but this will be one big challenge for us, me in particular kase hindi naman tumutulong si bf with planning, pero he's more on the execution side, kaya we hardly get lost dahil magaling siya sa mga ganun. I agree that we are spending a huge amount pero we wanted to be able to travel Europe before we start a family, kase after nun iba2 na priorities eh. Hindi na kame makakagastos ng ganun kalaki, iisipin na syempre yung pangfamily muna.

@mhoirae, ^ this is a good idea! One more thing to add with what you said, gusto din namin magtravel habang maganda pa yung itsura namin sa pictures haha. Dream ko to walk the streets of Paris ng nakaporma eh  8)

Thanks sisses!

riksy07

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2012, 09:06:04 am »
@melodymedley
Teary- eyed naman ako sa sinabi mo sis. It is true, that when you tell people how much you'll be spending for a trip to Europe they'll scoff and say that you are wasting money and that you should spend it on material things instead nalang daw or save it for a future that is uncertain naman. 

Tama ka rin sis na mahirap nga makahanap ng mga makakasama who are also just as passionate as you are about going to Europe and immersing oneself in all that history and culture. Di lang din siguro tugma ang priorities namin ng friends ko when it comes to this. 

On the upside, I'm having fun planning, and daydreaming na rin. I've also involved my mom in my planning para makita niya that it is perfectly safe and fine for me to go on a solo DIY trip to Europe. Para na rin maalleviate ang worries niya. I let her read your blog na rin. Aside from that, I can plan freely on the places I want to visit without having to think about what other people want kasi ako nalang mag isa.

@Mhoirae
I also agree with what you said. It's not like wala naman akong babalikang trabaho after the trip. And pag may family na iba na talaga ang priorities sa buhay. 
Thanks din for the tip. I'll think about that option din kasi currently nasa BDO fixed income fund na ang savings ko para di ko nagagalaw. 

Cheesecak3

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2012, 03:47:20 pm »
And some practical advice, to those planning to go to Europe more than 6 months from now...
You can buy euro now while it is low and invest it in BPI's ALFM Euro Fund.   Your money will be earning and by the time of your European trip, your investment might earn you a nice little sum.


Nice Tip :) I will definitely try this one.

I am excited but worried kasi wala pa kaming Visa. Sana talaga maapprove.

mrs research

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2012, 01:34:20 pm »
Ano ba mas ok use ATM to withdraw money sa Europe or papalit na ng Euros dito pa lang  sa PH?
A few months back, I emailed BDO and inquired about foreign service fee if I use my PH issued ATM with Maestro logo. Eto reply nila.

We hope this email finds you well.

Please be advised that ATM transactions using BDO machines is free of
charge.

However, if you transact using ATM’s of other banks within the Philippines
or ABROAD, their service charge will be as follows:

Other Local Banks’ ATMs:
  Balance Inquiry            Php 2.00
  Withdrawal                Php 11.00

Foreign Bank ATMs with Cirrus/Plus logos:
  Balance Inquiry      US$ 1.00
  Withdrawal                US$ 3.50

*Any unsuccessful ATM transaction such as wrong PIN, insufficient funds,
exceeds limit, etc. will still be charged of US$ 1.00.

For POS purchases using your BDO ATM Debit Card, you will only be charged for the exact purchase amount.

We hope we have been of assistance.

Thank you for banking with BDO.

EJ Pundaodaya
eServices Unit
BDO Customer Contact Center
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:50:42 pm by mrs research »

mama squeak!

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2012, 01:56:32 pm »
^Better buy Euros here na. I started buying Euros two months ago and started at the rate of EUR1 to PHP51.00 but right now medyo tumaas at EUR1 to PHP53.00. I buy my Euros at Czarina's after comparing the rates first with BPI and BDO. So far mas mataas ang palit in Czarina. Make sure lang if you're getting from them to call first to reserve since Euros are not readily available.

For our Prague trip since CZK is not available locally we plan to withdraw from the ATM there na lang. Of course there will be bank fees involved but it will be safer than changing Euros to CZK at the money changers there. Dami din palang scam with money changers there!

foxymom

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2012, 02:18:33 pm »
^asar nga we should've started buying euros a few months ago esp when it was just 51! i hope bumaba uli ang exchange rate.

for me best atm to use is hsbc since it is a european bank (british bank) and they are all over :) bank charges are cheaper since its direct hsbc to hsbc. the exchange rate is also good

Mhoirae

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #155 on: September 22, 2012, 07:58:20 am »
Just want to ask you girls out there for any safety tips for traveling to France, Italy and Spain.

I will be carrying around 4k euro and should I :
a)bring this with me out everyday (hidden in separate places : money belt, inside the boots, etc.)
b)place some inside the hotel's safety deposit box
c) hide some inside my locked luggage

Any other tips to prevent pickpocketing, etc. will be greatly appreciated.   Been reading a lot about pickpockets in Europe  :-\

melodymedley

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2012, 12:38:31 pm »
I have a day wallet-pouch bag and a hidden waist belt.
The day wallet pouch contains my spending money for the day and some allowance for a bit of shopping. I also put there yung mga passes for trains/trams/museums, calling cards, a some invalid IDs (expired PRC ID). Para lang may identification yung wallet-pouch.

For the hidden waist belt, dun ko nilagay yung mga dollars ko (which I kept throughout the trip because the USD to EUR rate was sooo bad) and the Euros I will spending in the other days. I also keep my passport here (kahit na makapal). I even sleep with it (because I slept in dorms) and I only take it off in the shower. It gives a slight bulge in the tummy but I managed to conceal it with clothes kahit papano.

Every night, I would review my itinerary for the next day and then naglilipat ako ng money from the hidden waist belt to the wallet-pouch.

Hidden waist belt:
http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Pouch-Compact-Security-Hidden/dp/B003YID7SC

I didn't keep money in the luggage or even in my day bag kasi ayoko isipin kung nasan na yung ibang pera - this one works for me. Although when I travel locally, I spread the money.

I didn't become a victim of pickpocketing. (Lost an Ipod but that was in the airport and sa luggage sya nawala). In Rome, the pickpockets are in the buses - especially the public buses going to the tour spots. My roommate said she a pickpocket reached for her cellphone while she was busy moving her luggage out of the bus - but her phone was chained to the bag. Natakot ako. That's why I opted to take the subway in Rome kahit mas efficient gumamit ng buses.

I encountered a lot of scammers that was mentioned sa Paris thread. Yung ring, yung deaf-mute, yung sign up sheet for something - I just walked away.

Some "vulnerable moments", be extra careful:
-taking a pic while in public transpo (I can't help but take out my camera and snap a shot)
-getting your luggage from the train/bus.
-asking for directions while holding a map. Kasi sometimes when I ask the locals, their friends will come over and look over my shoulder. I feel squeamish and a bit threatened. I get out of the situation as soon as I can. Kaya sometimes, it is better to ask fellow tourists na lang. :)

Take care, and enjoy your trip!

melvel

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2012, 01:07:01 pm »
And some practical advice, to those planning to go to Europe more than 6 months from now...
You can buy euro now while it is low and invest it in BPI's ALFM Euro Fund.   Your money will be earning and by the time of your European trip, your investment might earn you a nice little sum.

I bought Euro and GBP na, but didn't invest them. Our trip will be in June 2013 pa.


foxymom

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2012, 07:28:20 am »
^good choice! asar nga at tumataas na naman ang euro :( should have gotten more. i hope the exchange rate will lower again

mheliza_09

  • Guest
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #159 on: September 25, 2012, 10:56:00 am »
Hi mga sis! How much kaya ang kaylangan ko iprepare for a one month European tour? Sasama lang ako sa trip ng friend ko next year.. Sagot na daw nya accomodation, other than that kaylangan ko na pagipunan, hehe!

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close