We (my parents and I) came back from a Holy Land Tour (w/ a 2-day stop in Dubai) last week! We joined a pilgrimage tour. Ako ang assigned alalay and photographer nila kaya sumama ako. First time ko to join a tour-group operated trip that took 11 days. Whew! We were 31 in the group.
The package included the flights, hotels, breakfast and dinner at the hotel, bus, local English-speaking tourguide, entrance tickets and porterage in hotels. Nasa $2,900/pax yung package ng ganun kadaming participants (less participants, more expensive).
We also paid the tour operator $440 for ticket taxes, departure tax and gratuities. I liked this kasi parang centralized na yung tipping dun sa mga naging guides namin. We also paid Php 1,500 for the travel insurance. Ang hindi covered is yung lunch and if we order other drinks during sa meals. Personal expenses like water, toilet fees, souvenirs are not covered. I still withdrew some local currency sa mga ATMs but we would have survived na USD lang. The tour bus is brought to a local restaurant (ka-tie-up ba) and they charge and accept USDs as payment.
We only stayed 2 nights in Jordan. Bitin ako sa Wadi Musa! Indiana Jones was shot here. Ang gandaaaa! I wish we could have stayed longer there. I also want to explore Wadi Rum (yung desert).
In Israel, we stayed for 3 nights in Tiberias and 3 nights in Jerusalem. Our guide was smart in adjusting our itinerary so that we don't spend a lot of time waiting in line. For example, he insisted we visit the tomb of Jesus in the Church of Resurrection kahit parang less than 2 hours na lang before it closes kasi mas maikli ng pila. Sabi nga ng tour leader namin, we were very lucky and we spent minutes in line lang, while it takes them two hours pumila, at the very least (she does the tour every year kaya she can compare). Tapos nung traffic, he decided we should just visit another site kasi if pipilitin pumunta dun, magsasarado na yung tour spot.
Since I am very used to planning my own itinerary and having my own pace, I had to adjust to the mechanics of a group tour. Yung may wake-up call, breakfast time, may set na time for shopping and place exploration. Having a guide is very nice kasi madami ka talagang matututunan. Tsaka, ansaya ko lang na 4-star hotel ang bakasyon, kasi sanay din ako sa hostels. Although sobrang pagod din talaga after a day so tulog lang talaga ang magagawa sa hotel.
Still, I had fun overall and I explored interesting countries with my parents.

I would like to go back to Jordan and I would do Israel again with a private guide na mas historical ang approach. The walls of Jerusalem were pretty awesome at night and we didn't get to explore it that much during the day.