Want to share my 9 month old son's experience on measles. Last week of August, my son had fever, cough, runny nose and diarrhea. August 29, he had a very high fever and the lips started to get dry. August 30, that's a Friday, since his pediatrician is off-duty, I brought him to another Pediatrician at St. Luke's Global City. He was diagnosed with measles, was prescribed medicines for his cough and LBM plus paracetamol in cases of fever. Rashes started to show up on his arms and face. We were advised to have a follow-up check-up on Monday if the fever is still there. My son by the way was scheduled for his Measles Vaccine August 31 but he was infected first before his schedule.
Saturday, more rashes are visible on his face and trunk.
Came Sunday, my son was so weak, grumpy and irritable. Rashes are starting to show at his feet. If we put him on bed, he just stays there, does not have the energy to move then complains so we have to carry him again. I panicked when two hours after I gave him ibuprofen, dolan, (he does not like tempra) the fever is still 39.4 so I informed his Pediatrician right away plus the gums are bleeding. I was on a crying state for I can't take looking at my child so helpless. I suggested to the doctor that I have to have my son admitted. Doctor told me to give him paracetamol immediately, (i gave calpol) then bring him to the clinic while doctor is to look for available hospital where we can bring my son for confinement. Sunday afternoon we were at VRPMC emergency room so they can administer IV to my son immediately. An infectious disease specialist came to see my son the next day as requested by his Pediatrician. The infectious disease specialist ordered for Serology Testing as according to her, babies below one year old who were affected by measles must be closely monitored for they are very prone to complications. That time, one of the complications was bronchitis. She also discussed with me other complications to look after, years from now. Her words were, "hindi sa tinatakot kita pero I'm giving you an idea so you will be aware and prepared if you see the symptoms coming", of which I'm also very thankful that she's discussing those things with me.
We were discharged last Thursday after 4 days at the hospital after his 2nd CBC examinations. The specialist again discussed more of the complications that we have to closely monitor and observe. The serology tests are not yet available as of this time. My son is scheduled for an optha test this Thursday. They asked me if I want to have him checked by an ophthalmologist and I said please do every possible test there is. Today my son is back to his playful, bubbly mode. The face is clear already from flaking. It's now the body down to the feet that are having flakes.
I'm just thankful that he has complete vaccinations, that he had PCV 13, instead of 10 for as per doc leletmd, PCV13 has higher strains than PCV 10. Now, it's our prayer that he'll do well.
By the way, before he had measles, he had HFMD two weeks before that's why his immune system went down. He was a healthy baby. HE never had fever after his immunizations. He's 6 teeth just popped without any signs of irritability. It's just so unfortunate that he had those viruses all on the same month.
Pasensya na po, napahaba kwento ko. Just want to share. Please visit the doctor immediately if your child is not doing well. don't self medicate. Measles for babies below one year old must be closely monitored by a health professional.