watch now

Author Topic: US TV: Grimm  (Read 46922 times)

_gigles_

  • Guest
US TV: Grimm
« on: October 29, 2011, 10:32:04 am »
Synopsis:
Set in present-day Portland, Oregon, the series puts a new twist on the stories of the Brothers Grimm in which a homicide detective learns that he is a descendent of a group of hunters known as "Grimms", who fight to keep humanity safe from the supernatural creatures of the world. Upon learning of his destiny and that he is the last of his kind, he has to protect every living soul from the sinister storybook characters that have infiltrated the real world

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimm_%28TV_series%29

----
This series premiered today and will be watching it later.

_gigles_

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 09:40:45 am »
I've seen the pilot already and its not bad but its not really good either, I guess I'll have to watch a few more episodes to see.

Mindy

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:21:43 am »
It has its scary aspects compared to Once Upon a Time, one of 2 shows that takes its inspiration from Fairty Tales. But Grimm's treatment is more procedural, while OUAT is serialized. I find the latter more engaging kasi connect connect each episode. Sa Grimm, it would be different killers/cases per episode, parang Person of Interest, ginawang procedural. The formula can get repetitive. Hence, potentially tiring to watch. Kaya I think they really need to sustain that gulat factor with Grimm.




kreez

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 04:32:52 pm »
i liked the pilot, exciting at saka scary yung mga creatures talaga... may gulat factor LOL! 

kvandenhaak

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 08:40:54 pm »
Saw the last two episodes. Mas maganda yung OUAT. I find last week's episode weak, yung guy from Prison Break lang ang redeeming factor because of his funny lines.

trumoon

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 06:03:21 pm »
Saw the fist 2 episodes. Ok lang naman. Pero they're going to have to make the next episodes really exciting if they want to be taken for a full season.

_gigles_

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 10:32:01 am »
^unfortunately its still not that exciting haha its just an okay episode, something to watch when you're bored lol

jiabanana

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 12:08:01 pm »
^ true. I am slowly shying away from this series.. It's getting sort of getting boring and the characters are a bit... Well... Not so bright. Except the wolfman, his character is probably the saving grace of this series.

 I wish there was a bit whimsical feel to it since it was inspired by fairytales daw. However, I found myself distracted guessing which fairytale it was derived from than actually watching the episode. The latest one was a bit hard, my husband said it was from The Queen Bee daw. Meeeeh.

Mindy

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 12:35:56 pm »
The fairytales that they based Grimm from kasi aren't the Disney ones but Brothers Grimm's stories, and there's nothing whimsical about it. Talagang dark ang mga kwento ng magkapatid.

Beyond the fantasy element, I can't compare the two shows anymore though (Grimm & OUAT) since their format is very different. Grimm relies on procedural treatment, while OUAT is a narrative/serial.

I'm liking that Grimm is quite grown up while OAUT really brings fond memories of childhood for me. So, iba-iba yung satisfaction ko.

Grimm has pretty sharp dialogues, which I appreciate rin.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 12:38:33 pm by Mindy »

jiabanana

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 01:10:09 pm »
^ a handful of Grimm stories was actually adapted by disney for motion pictures.  ;) what i meant by whimsy isnt actually pixie dust and fairies hehe. But whimsical as in the context of being overly strange and freakish. I would say Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella, little snow white even little rapunzel and sleeping beauty all from Grimm brothers is whimsical in dark way, say.. like Burton's Treatment of alice in wonderland. I wish, if they're going for dark treatment based on fairytales, there's really darkness in creatures and environment, and not just mutant people who turn into semi monsters for a minute or so.. Or maybe they shouldn't have marketed it as a fairytale based series at all.

Oo nga Grimm is a bit procedural, but it's becoming serial with the presence of the chief police, the lady who wants his aunt killed and the "there's a disaster waiting to happened" warning by the queen bee.

But like you said, they cant satisfy all viewers. :D

Mindy

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 08:39:35 am »
^ Ahhh. Got you. Burton's films, yes. But that would mean a bigger budget. I doubt the show's producers can afford that much hoopla. Even OUAT has poor special effects. So with Grimm baka mutant mutant lang ang kaya ng production nila. ;D

As for the story, I'd say because police procedural has been done over and over, their way of telling this story supposedly lends a fresh take to a format that's quite...tired, like adding those lingering storylines. But I do agree that it's not as convincing pa, kulang pa ng punch.

What works with OUAT is because there's that element viewers know -- the fantasy part, where everyone's dressed in gowns and there's a ball, there's a palace --- all of us can relate to that. Grimm completely did away with that and concentrated on just "real world" stuff, hence hindi masyado whimsical. Which is why it is considered more serious than OUAT.

OUAT is considered superior because it's relatable (at all audience can watch).  But if you take away all that fantasy stuff...hindi ko rin alam how it will work with the viewers.

With Grimm filling a one hour show with fairytale-based stuff and writing it down na parang real people sila is challenging. Personally, if I view it from that angle, impressive that the writers were able to do that, sustain it...yung exposition nung characters as real people, mahirap gawin without delving too much on the fantasy part (na ginagawa ng OUAT). Parang after thought lang yung fantasy kasi sa Grimm.  Yung OUAT sakop talaga sa story.

Kaya, like I said, it's hard for me personally to say one is better than the other, kasi pareho silang pasok sa viewing pleasure ko. Yun lang hindi ako masyado maka-kwento with Grimm with anyone, kasi the truth is mas patok talaga ang OAUT sa majority, and that I can also understand.

Grimm should've worked, kasi its formula (procedural) is familiar to its target audience. Yung fantaserye sa kanila (US audience I mean) hardly tumatagal. But as it is parang OUAT ang tatagal yata. Mamatay ang Grimm.

OAUT bases its fairytales as we know it (Disney, Cinderella in a blue ball gown and all those stuff! How I love that! :D ) kasi the network where it's carried/shown is ABC...which happens to be owned by...Disney. ;D





« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:53:41 am by Mindy »

rainebowbrite

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 09:50:15 am »
I haven't seen the 3rd and 4th ep yet pero I'm really giving this a chance kasi yung people behind it are the same ones behind Angel, which I loved. Fave character ko so far is yung reluctant helper nya na wolf. Nakalimutan ko yung name.

I'm really hoping this develops well.

sima

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 09:38:51 pm »
The latest one was a bit hard, my husband said it was from The Queen Bee daw. Meeeeh.

While the specific identity of the fairy tale referenced in episode 3 of Grimm, "Beeware," remains a mystery, it does look interesting.  I don't see how the storyline to The Queen Bee matches anything from Grimm's latest episode.  Maybe because "The Queen Bee" in the story is helpful and that he is on Nick Grimm's side.  The quote they used at the beginning of the show is actually from a Joan Crawford film called, "Queen Bee."


sima

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 10:11:28 pm »
I like Grimm's latest episode of Blue Beard!  Tindi ng pheromones ni Blue Beard - endangered palaka! EWWW!!!!  Naiintrigga tuloy ako lalo kay Captain Renard, yung superior ni Nick at Hank.  Even the grim reaper bows before him.  MATINDI!!

kreez

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 03:11:26 pm »
during the last epi may times na di ako makatingin sa screen grabe yucky... super takot pa naman ako sa rats... dapat ba lahat ng epi may yuck factor? LOL

mishmish

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 10:24:24 am »
I'm watching this series also, so far like ko siya ;)

sima

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 11:57:14 pm »
oo nga kadiri yung rat episode at nakakaaliw yung twist sa Three Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf. 

avesoriano

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 12:11:50 am »
not much to crave every weekend pero im happy meron na ako ipapalit sa supernatural sobra na kasi ako bored sa supernatural e

phurple0515

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 05:46:35 pm »
i am loving this series, was able to catch up na sa mga episodes :)

babyface82

  • Guest
Re: US TV: Grimm
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 09:04:55 pm »
i saw a trailer of this sa diva universal, i think it will be picked up by that channel?

so dark itech? thriller na suspend (suspense) ? heheh :D

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close