Author Topic: School of the Holy Spirit in QC (Ylang-Ylang) or Miriam College Grade School?  (Read 57046 times)

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
^ Both schools are good and share similar values and philosophy, mix of students and educational standards.  It will boil down to your preference in the end. :)

HSS was much smaller during my time, 2 sections per level lang kaya wala siyang name recall.  The Holy Spirit in Mendiola was the more famous one.

Ang masasabi ko lang most of my batchmates in grade school (wala pa kasing high school sa HSS that time) attended prestigious universities for college - UP, Ateneo, DLSU, UST, some even studied in the US and excelled.  Several of my HSS classmates are doctors. ;)  Even those who went to another school for high school (St. Paul QC and Miriam mostly) also did very well in high school.  Those of us who went to SHS, the one in BF Homes QC, also did very well and I think 70-80% of the HSS to SHS transferees either went to UP or Ateneo for college. :) 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:20:26 am by marose17 »

pinkcoyote

• Super GirlTalker
^Thanks Marose. question, yung mga students sa HSS mostly saan mga nakatira? I asked that to the guidance counsellor, meron daw as far as Marikina.

theflygirl

• I am a super
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • The FLYGIRL
^^That's true, marose17. The HSS community was more tightly knit during the old days. Although during my time, 3 sections per level na in grade school. Last school year, the PTA president wanted to make the HSS name stand out more, because people automatically assume when you say Holy Spirit, it's the one in Fairview. Sort of closely guarded secret ang Ilang-Ilang campus. It's bigger now. They've improved their security services, students' IDs are scanned upon entry/exit, etc. IMO I hope they stop accepting boys in grade school though it looks like tuloy-tuloy na their plan.

There are a lot of prominent HSS alumna. In business, in entertainment, society pages, etc. For example, my family had a photoshoot last weekend with one of the sought-after photographers of celebrity families, and she happens to be my batchmate in HSS.  ;)

But that's true. It all depends on one's preference. I'd say both are very good schools.

Majority of my HSS batchmates went on to St. Paul (College, then, now University) QC for high school because of the proximity of one school to another. Then others, on to SHS. During get togethers now, we all get confused whether it's a grade school or high school meetup. ;) I have many HSS batchmates from all over! I even had a classmate who arrived very early in school because she lived in Meycauayan.

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
^^ Sam, halos puro taga-QC - Scout area, New Manila, Kamuning, Cubao (where I used to live) - kami.  We have classmates from Sampaloc, San Juan and Marikina too.

Some of the known HSS alumna I can think of:  Lani Mercado, Jackielou Blanco, Liza Infante (of Repertory Philippines), Ilsa Reyes (of DZMM)... 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:56:14 pm by marose17 »

health.gal

• I'm a certified
  • Senior GirlTalker
    • Experimental Blogger
Some of the known HSS alumna I can think of:  Lani Mercado, Jackielou Blanco, Liza Infante (of Repertory Philippines), Ilsa Reyes (of DZMM)... 

Iza Calzado, Bing and Teresa Loyzaga, Alyssa Gibbs  ;)
"The only person who is educated is the one who has learned how to learn and change." Carl Rogers

Our Wedsite: http://mydreamplanner.blogspot.com/

theflygirl

• I am a super
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • The FLYGIRL
Bernadette Tinoco aka Bernadette Allyson was my classmate. HSSians din sina Katrin Gonzales (commercial model), Sofia Genato (owner/chief photog of The Stork Studio) and many more.

pinkcoyote

• Super GirlTalker
wow! Parang guarded secret nga ang HSS pala.

I love their most their location, yung residential area and hindi sa main road. Thanks girls :)

I also hope na wag na sila maging co-ed..kahit sana sa prep, all girls pa din sana.

theflygirl

• I am a super
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • The FLYGIRL
^Unfortunately, the coed thingie has started. Not sure till what grade though, 1 or 2. My daughter, who's in prep right now, has 2 boys in her class, and 23 girls. I hope they phase them out. I love my alma mater as it was!

byutijunkie

• Senior GirlTalker
  • lover of all things fab!
marose, are you sure lani mercado as in the wife of bong revilla studied here?  i used to see her in my school before eh, she was in highschool while i was grade 1 or 2 ata.  as far as i know, she studied and graduated in de la salle zobel.   
“The best color in the whole world, is the one that looks good, on you!”
                   --Coco Chanel

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
^ I'm sure because my grade 1 yearbook has her picture.  She graduated from grade 6 when I was in grade 1. :)  Her real name is Jesusa Victoria Hernandez, as I recall.

I think she went to La Salle Zobel for high school kasi naging classmate naman siya ng friend ko from there in high school.  Walang high school sa HSS during my time.

byutijunkie

• Senior GirlTalker
  • lover of all things fab!

^oh that explains it.  yeah, JV nga yung nickname nya as indicated in the dlsz yearbook din.  =)
“The best color in the whole world, is the one that looks good, on you!”
                   --Coco Chanel

pinkcoyote

• Super GirlTalker
I told my parents about the alumni na sikat, lani mercado daw kasi taga ilang-ilag lang daw nakatira before, and Iza daw sa scout area yata. Ilsa Reyes they met and know personally from church. Hehe. Actually as I recall, naka-attend nga ako ng Life in the Spirit Seminar in which Ilsa Reyes was one of the speakers.

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
I just added Mrs. Montealegre to my Facebook account.   Anyone here who was her student before? I saw several familiar names among her friends. :)

theflygirl

• I am a super
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • The FLYGIRL
^you might've seen my profile. We're FB friends. :) u know ms Lina serraon & the fmr ms ruby nisperos, now bello? We're friends, too.

lilsaintsm0m

• Junior GirlTalker
  • is a mother and everything else after that..
^sis marose, mrs montealegre was our class adviser before during 5th grade :) Whats her fb? until now i think im still scared of her terror kasi yun during our time :D

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
^ Search mo lang siya.  Estrellita Montealegre. :)

~aShLiE~

• Super GirlTalker
  • Shop with me.
Nice to see fellow HSSians. Batch 96 here.

health.gal, 95 ka? Kabatch mo si Iza?

I came from both HSS and MC. Pero I have to say, sobrang homey ng atmosphere sa Holy, everybody knows everybody. If there's only High School back then, ang saya siguro ng life. I had to transfer so ang daming adjustments. Rant lang.

;D

My nieces are currently studying there, and katuwa kasi when I accompanied one of them during an event, Mrs. Monte saw me and she still remembers me. Ang laki rin ng pinagbago ng school although there are still familiar halls and the Quadrangle, so memorable. Iba na rin pala sections nila, unlike nung tayo flowers. Btw, anybody remember Miss Pineda and Mrs. Quijano?

Pag nagka-anak ako, dun ko talaga pag-aaralin.
→Ash T&T

theflygirl

• I am a super
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • The FLYGIRL
Oo, iba na sections now. Love, joy, peace, kindness, etc. Tayo dati, azucena, carnation, cattleya, rosal, lily, lotus, vanda, etc. Ahh the good ol days!

sachism

• happy wife and mommy...and a
  • Super GirlTalker
Sa ilang ilang may preschool? Anong youngest nila na tinatanggap? Ilang students at teachers sa isang class? Thanks.

theflygirl

• I am a super
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • The FLYGIRL
^yes, ilang-ilang has a preschool dept. Nursery if I'm not mistaken starts accepting 3yos. My daughter's prep class has about 25 students. Same as last year nung kinder sya.

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close