Suvarnabhumi Airport (Bangkok) to Siem ReapWe arrived in Bangkok via Cebu Pacific just before midnight, checked in at Regent Hotel (10 minutes away from the airport), and woke up early the following day.
Regent Hotel offers free roundtrip transfers so by 7:00 AM, we were back at Suvarnabhumi Airport. The bus left at 7:50 AM giving us a chance to grab a quick breakfast. Bus ticket costs THB 187 per passenger. Travel time is 3.5 hours. Bus sched varies, by the way. It is best to be at the airport before 7AM so you don't miss it. I believe there's only 1 trip on weekdays (7:15AM) and 2 on weekends (7:15AM and 9:15AM). But I'm not so sure because I don't think they follow the sched that they post.
Going back... After getting through immigration at the Aranyaprathet-Poipet border, we met up with our cab driver at the appointed place. I am so glad we had pre-arranged pick up! It cost us USD45, but it made things wayyy easier (and safer) for us. There are a lot of touts in that area, and most of them just want to confuse then scam tourists.
Our guide/driver in Siem Reap arranged this pick up for us. I will include his contact details under the Tours by Sam section of this post.
Angkoriana HotelWe booked 3 nights in a Twin Room at Angkoriana Hotel via Agoda. It cost us Php 934++ per night inclusive of buffet breakfast for two. Definitely value for money. Our room was just charming. It was spacious enough and had a private balcony with a view of the hotel pool.
The staff always greeted us with a smile, which was nice. And they cleaned up our room and replaced our water bottles and towels daily.
The only negative thing is that they don't have elevators.
Angkoriana Hotel is located on Charles D'Gaulle, the main road that leads to Angkor W.a.t. It is about 10 minutes away from Pub St. via tuktuk.
Tours by SamOur guide/driver's name in Siem Reap is Sam. I read outstanding reviews about him on TripAdvisor so I decided to get him. I looked him up on Facebook and sent him a message. He was quick to reply which is another plus. I told him which temples I specifically wanted to see and he customized the itinerary based on my preferences. He answered every single question I had, so I knew what to expect and what to bring. His english is really good since he lived in the States for a while.
He was helpful and made planning for this trip a breeze. He even arranged our pick up from Poipet border to Angkoriana Hotel and our bus tickets from Siem Reap to Saigon. Also, he accompanied us in securing tickets to Smile of Angkor (cultural show + dinner buffet). It was also great that he seemed to never run out of cold water, which he handed to us after every temple we visited. He bought us some traditional Khmer snacks, too!
We used car instead of tuktuk because some of the temples I chose are far from Angkor. On our second day, we went to Beng Mealea and Koh Ker. For lunch, we stopped by the house of Sam's friend near Koh Ker and had lunch with his family. It was such a lovely surprise! We felt so at home. Sam and his friend's family were warm and accommodating.
Anyway, I highly recommend Sam. Here are his contact details for your reference:
Email:
samtuktuk@yahoo.comFacebook: Sam Tuktuk
Mobile: available upon request
The TemplesMy Top 3 Favorites: Bayon, Beng Mealea, Banteay Srei
Here's a short version of our itinerary in Siem Reap:
Day 1: Sunrise at Angkor W.a.t., Kbal Spean, Banteay Srei, Pre Rup, Ta Phrom, Bayon, Sunset at Angkor W.a.t.
Entrance Fee: USD 20
Day 2: Beng Mealea and Koh Ker
Entrance Fee: USD 5
Notes:1. If you're going to hike up Kbal Spean, be prepared to climb rocks with your bare hands.
2. We saw Smile of Angkor, tickets at USD 35 and USD 45 inclusive of dinner buffet. I enjoyed the Apsara dance the most. Roundtrip tuktuk ride USD 6.
3. I ate a lot of Khmer food while in Siem Reap and I noticed that they use a lot of basil in their cooking.
4. The road to Koh Ker is bumpy and dusty. It's about 2 hours away from Angkor. But for me, it's worth the trip because very, very few tourists go there and you get to fully enjoy the temples. There are 30 small & big temples in Koh Ker.
5. Remember to leave a tip to show gratitude.
