watch now

Author Topic: Maximizing Lay-overs  (Read 5490 times)

poshprincess

  • Guest
Maximizing Lay-overs
« on: August 19, 2011, 07:28:38 am »
Hey girls..

Just wanna ask what you normally do when you have long lay-overs?
Has anyone tried to go outside the airport and explore the city or something?

I am going to the US next week and I will have >5hours layover in New York. I wanted to get my jetsetter sisters opinion if it's a good idea to explore the city.

thanks!


mama squeak!

  • Guest
Re: Maximizing Lay-overs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 08:14:10 am »
^sis, is your 5 hour lay over your net time? Meaning less the time of deboarding from the plane and security check upon departure?

poshprincess

  • Guest
Re: Maximizing Lay-overs
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 08:53:42 am »
Yes sis! doable ba or should i just stay within the airport?

My brother leaves in NYC so he can pick me up and we can drive. Though that can also be a bad idea if there's heavy traffic..

what do you think?

mama squeak!

  • Guest
Re: Maximizing Lay-overs
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 10:44:23 am »
^sis, medyo bitin yan. You are right you can't predict the traffic situation. Probably you can ask your brother to meet you somewhere within the airport vicinity. 

poshprincess

  • Guest
Re: Maximizing Lay-overs
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 10:54:52 am »
thanks sis!

remilicious

  • Guest
Re: Maximizing Lay-overs
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 08:05:18 pm »
Allowed ba mag-ikot sa labas ng airport kung stopover lang ako sa US?

aquacharly

  • Guest
Re: Maximizing Lay-overs
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 08:21:30 pm »
REMILICIOUS, IF you have a valid US visa - sure, go out do some sightseeing. Heck, you can even intentionally miss your flight. :)

POSHPRINCESS - if you land  in NYC to connect to a domestic flight - you need to  be at the airport 1hr before the flight, or checked  in at  the counter a minimum of 30min. before the flight. (if international - 2 hrs min. before  the flight.
Working backwards, that's   4 hrs left.  Now, offloading from an international flight -- it takes an hour more or less to clear  Immigration & Customs.  Longer if there are 3  or more international flights landing.  so, you have 3 hrs left. Give it an hour 1way fom the airport to the  city, then back, given traffic.  So - you have an hour to kill -- but you will most  probably be tense and harassed,  and not enjoy your quickie "tour". 

Why don't you break your trip - spend a day or more in NYC before resuming  your onward itinerary??   

JINJIN:*

  • Guest
Re: Maximizing Lay-overs
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 09:51:11 pm »
hi!

I have the same thing in Malaysia. 4 hours waiting for the connecting flight to Manila. I know I can leave the airport pero kakatakot maiwan ng plane. Panu pag naiwan ako ng plane? bayad ba ko ulit ng buong fare or just some amount lang?

pinklilac

  • Guest
Re: Maximizing Lay-overs
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 08:23:59 pm »
mga sis, may lay over ako for 11 hrs sa bkk. allowed ba akong lumabas ng airport?
tia

japs

  • Guest
Re: Maximizing Lay-overs
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 09:39:10 pm »
I hate layovers. That's why whenever I buy a ticket I always look how much time is the layover. It's a huge waste of time. So far with Delta, the maximum layover that I have to wait is 2 hours.

Do you guys know any airlines that is a direct flight from US to Manila?  I am planning on going back to the Philippines for a month this April. I have been using Delta and they do not have direct flights. Thanks mga sis.

nageinna

  • Guest
Re: Maximizing Lay-overs
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 09:05:56 am »
i had a 6hr. layover last time sa singapore when we went to maldives. we were not allowed to go out of the airport. good thing their changi airport was sooo huge and enjoy mag ikot ikot for some shopping.

mama squeak!

  • Guest
Re: Maximizing Lay-overs
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 10:33:35 am »
^^Re direct flights from US to Manila and vice versa, the only carrier as of now is still Philippine Airlines.

sima

  • Guest
Re: Maximizing Lay-overs
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 04:58:37 pm »
mga sis, may lay over ako for 11 hrs sa bkk. allowed ba akong lumabas ng airport?
tia

Parang pwede naman yata kasi visa-free ang Philippine passport holders sa ASEAN member countries.  Pero just to be on the safe side, call the Thai Embassy na lang.

aquacharly

  • Guest
Re: Maximizing Lay-overs
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 11:45:36 pm »
i had a 6hr. layover last time sa singapore when we went to maldives. we were not allowed to go out of the airport. good thing their changi airport was sooo huge and enjoy mag ikot ikot for some shopping.

if you have 6hrs --  Changi/Sing Tourism offers a free 2hr City Tour. 
Same for Taipei -- if you have 5hrs to kill:  free City Tour too.

I don't see any problem with going out during lay-overs in ASEAN countries. So you can go out of Bangkok/HK :)

BUT if ou break your trip -- ask about the luggage allowance.
Like  for example, from the US via HK - Mla --  ok, 2 suitcases.
BUT once you break that by staying overnight in HK --  the HK-Mla trip will allow you only 1 suitcase na lang.


dutchedpinay

  • Guest
Re: Maximizing Lay-overs
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 10:18:54 pm »
I specifically decided to buy my ticket to Singapore from Emirates because they offer a 24-hour layover in Dubai. I haven't been to Dubai that's why!

On normal situations I almost never fly with a layover, unless there is really no other choice, i.e. route and dates are fixed. I would only take a layover if its more than 12 hours and in a city/country I haven't been to, or haven't visited for a long time.

bratty

  • Guest
Re: Maximizing Lay-overs
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 08:05:49 pm »
Hi Ladies. I want to book a flight to HKG from SIN pero gusto ko may lay-over sa MNL. Pag ganun ba kelangan ko lumabas ng airport? Ang worry ko ay baka ma-charge ako ng terminal fee at travel tax. Gusto ko kasi makasabay sana family ko sa flight from MNL to HKG. Weird lang.

Salamat po sa magrereply :)

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close