watch now

Author Topic: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?  (Read 61198 times)

Cherry143

  • Guest
Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« on: August 15, 2011, 06:23:53 am »
in this season that many are affected by dengue:
1) how do you protect your baby from mosquitoes? There are several items to use like katol, arm band (can be placed on the leg), anti-mosquito patch (can be attached to baby's clothing), electric mosquito repellant, lotion, etc.  and these are chemicals which i'm not sure if safe to our babies' sensitive body.
2)  what brand do you use?
- I saw a scented Baygon katol (lavander in color), which is interesting to try but i picked the conventional Baygon katol (green) specially that it has a mark "anti- dengue" on its box.  hindi ba anti-dengue din yung scented type???
- As for the band, lotion or patch: there are also many brands.  is there an organic one which is really safe for babies?
3)  which one is really safe for babies?
Is katol really safe for babies?  how about the patch, lotion, band, and electric repellant???   8) :o




« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:22:23 pm by Cherry143 »

hunny_ally

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:45:11 am »
Don't use katol as this can trigger asthma.
 
For my kids we put mosquito patches. It is citronella based so relatively safe for kids. For my baby boy, since he's more kagatin compared to his ate, we put too badger anti bug balm. It's organic too (in fact USDA certified organic). You can get it from rustan's for php500. Re the usage, we only started using it on my baby boy but i remember when we were using it on my girl before, a tub lasts for 2-2.5 months. i swear sa efficacy ng badger cause we were using during the time we were living with my parents. lahat ng kids sa street ng mom ko nagka-dengue except for my girl.

Try to avoid using lotions that have DEET. If you use it, like what a doctor demonstrated on the news last night,  put it on the clothes and not directly on the skin. Also reapply lotions/balms regularly. Once the smell is gone, it's no longer effective. I'm lucky since my kids' yaya is very diligent in doing this

Also, we spray anti mosquitoes in our house once/twice a week. Don't forget to spray dark areas if your house (ie. Back of the cabinets/sofas).

We also use electric fans even if the A/C is turned on. It helps ward off the moquitoes din.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:14:10 am by hunny_ally »

pompz

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:34:28 am »
I read that lemongrass also is anti-mosquito actually I'm planning to plant this and put it in our door, para di na pumasok ang mosquito once our door is open kasi mga kids ko labas pasok and out kusina is located outside , I have 3 kids and the youngest is only 2 months old, so natatakot talaga ako, I bathed him with Vinagre Aromatico, I read somewhere here in GT, mosquito repellant so far wala pa naman akong nakitang trace na mosquito bites, at wag naman sana. I'm looking also for an organic one na effective, I also bought yesterday a racket like na electric mosquito rechargeable" para while I'm cooking outside nakapatay ako ng lamok. I will visit here more often para makuha ng tips from other mommies :)

missyli

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 09:55:20 am »
Good Day sissies :)

We all should be vigilant about fighting DENGUE and we should start from the main root. Let's make sure we clean our surroundings. Empty exposed water containers or make sure its properly covered as to avoid mosquitoes breeding in them. In our house, we use Bioneem Liquid concentrate that acts as a Disinfectant, Sanitizer and Insecticide. It is mixed with water and sprayed in the morning and late afternoon. It disturbs the growth of the insects/mosquitoes therefore harping their growth and eliminating them. In just 2 days, gone were all the nasty mosquitoes!

As a direct Insect repellant on my baby I use ZEN Organics. Its a liquid in a spray bottle. Not sticky and also has a pleasant smell. :) Since we started using said above products sobrang secure na ko :) Hope this helps :)

jenskie

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 04:14:25 pm »
I asked my baby's pedia what's the safe mosquito repellant i can use for my baby, she gave me Human Nature Citronella bug spray.

melmedrano

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 05:02:22 pm »
for my toddler we use new guard :-) ok naman, mabango pa!

missoni

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 08:15:24 pm »
I read that lemongrass also is anti-mosquito actually I'm planning to plant this and put it in our door, para di na pumasok ang mosquito once our door is open kasi mga kids ko labas pasok and out kusina is located outside , I have 3 kids and the youngest is only 2 months old, so natatakot talaga ako, I bathed him with Vinagre Aromatico, I read somewhere here in GT, mosquito repellant so far wala pa naman akong nakitang trace na mosquito bites, at wag naman sana. I'm looking also for an organic one na effective, I also bought yesterday a racket like na electric mosquito rechargeable" para while I'm cooking outside nakapatay ako ng lamok. I will visit here more often para makuha ng tips from other mommies :)

sis san mo nabili yung parang tennis racket na electric mosquito swatter? i've been looking at the malls for this pero wala akong makita, kahit sa palengke di ko sya mahanap. pag bug spray or  lotion kasi hindi nga kakagatin ng lamok, pero the nandun pa rin umaaligid yung lamok. gusto ko patay talaga yung lamok :)

lentot

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 11:43:37 pm »
for my son ang prescribe ni pedia ay No Bite..so far ok naman siya safe for babies.

mikaela325

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 12:46:13 pm »
sis hunny_ally, where exactly in rustans can i buy that badger balm?

^^sis yung mosquito racket mayroon siguro sa divisoria. but ours we bought it sa dumadaan lang sa kalsada na naglalako. 150 each.

we also bought the bulb na nakaka expel daw ng mosquitos and we also have the one na na sinasaksak sa plug and may 2 Fluorescent tube bulbs

3in1

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 12:56:38 pm »
^ sis effective po bang repellant yung light bulb? nakita ko din sya pero di ako nag try bumili hehe

@ lentot, how much po ang NoBite? Thanks

mikaela325

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 01:05:53 pm »
^di ko alam sis kung effective ba. hehe. pero mura lang sya less 300 i think. pero yung isa kong nabanggit nabili namin sa wilcon around 2k, ayun i can say kahit paano effective kasi may nakikita kaming patay na lamok nakadikit dun.

lentot

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 01:39:26 pm »
@ sis 3in1 available siya sa southstar drugstore for 195.

chocoholicehmee

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 01:47:46 pm »
mosquito swatter available sa handyman, ace hardware and do it yourself hardware. better buy more than 1 since madali siya masira. 

the one's i bought at d.i.y may sound pa pag nakakapatay ng lamok, so you would know pag kailangan na i.charge. 

tickle

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 12:55:11 pm »
i've also tried NoBite lotion for my baby and okay naman.  it's only less than P200 pero I find the container hard to use pag kalahati na lang ang content.  So i shifted to Bioneem (BGone) lotion.  Masmadali gamitin kasi nasa tube.  I also use the Bioneem oil spray at night after magshower ni baby.  I use that for my son too before sya pasok sa school.  They like the smell naman. 

I also have the Bioneem concentrate for the house.  Effective rin.

geumjandi

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 10:21:35 pm »
my baby is using FIXTITIS as per advised of his pedia.... so far okay naman siya...:)

daisy_duck

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 08:15:46 am »
I use bugs away by human heart nature then mosquito patch at night. Recently yung nabili kong patch sa watsons, di masyadong nag stick sa shirt ni baby. Malikot pa man din si toddler. I also use citronella spray na water base, mainit kasi pag oil base. Nung napadaan sa grocery si hubby, yung Off lotion daw is buy 1 take one so ayun napa off din minsan si baby. Medyo wary kasi ako sa OFF kasi i heard na mainit siya so nakakadark nang skin?

Anything to make sure na iwas dengue sa bahay.

cocomarie

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 02:13:44 pm »
Sa 7-11 stores daw mura ang patch and effective?  Effective ba ang Human Heart Nature Citronella?

hunny_ally

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 04:23:27 pm »
^i think what they're selling in 711 is the moski shield brand. That's where we buy it if naubusan kami and couldn't buy by the box. Mas mahal siya in 711 and you get value for money if buy it in boxes.

Re efficacy, yes it is effective. But other moms are complaining it leaves residue on the clothes (check mo na Lang the other thread about anti mosquitoes).

cocomarie

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 12:15:25 pm »
^  thanks hunny ally, i bought the patch over at ace hardware and placed it at the back of my son's denim shorts.  will check if it leaves a residue.  i'm planning to buy human nature citronella too.

domestic diva

  • Guest
Re: Which Mosquito Repellant is Safe for Babies?
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 04:12:29 am »
I continue to use Moski-shield for the kids. Weird lang ang sticker nila ngayon. Ang hirap tanggalin ang patch from the sticker pad.

My kids also use Giga Baby insect repellant.
I also have HHN mosquito repellant pero nalalagkitan ako. I'm not sure yet kung effective because I haven't tried it yet. (Ako muna kasi ang unang mag-road test before my kids para iwas allergies, insect bite, etc.).

We have the plug in for the room. So far, no mosquitoes.
I think I 'll buy another one for the bathroom. Damp din kasi doon, baka magka-mosquitoes..

Na-dengue na kasi kami ng panganay ko. Mahirap na!

As for the katol, effective din si Baygon purple katol. But si HH lang ang gumagamit pag nagluluto siya or when she's outside. Hindi kami naglalagay ng katol sa loob ng house.

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close