watch now

Author Topic: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)  (Read 174789 times)

mxherr5

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #340 on: October 21, 2012, 10:48:48 pm »
@anna

Unit Investment Trust Funds,
basically a bank's mutual fund equivalent.

@ Aichusyu,

You'd be better off with UITFs then.
No sales loads like mutual funds
And a shorter holding period for people like
you who don't like losing money from penalties :D

If you're ok with paying sales loads and
a longer holding period(coz it would force you
to leave your investment alone for longer)
then I suggest FAMI or Philequity.

Sunlife's performance is like a turtle.
Soooo SLOOOOW :p

I only had Sunlife because it was the only mutual
fund with an option for not paying any sales load
i.e. option B

But now that UITF's minimum investment amounts are
within reach, I will only invest in UITFs.

Also, I'm just waiting for the 5 year period to expire
because like you, I hate losing money due to penalties,
and I'd be redeeming everything out of Sunlife.

I recently answered a survey from Sunlife Funds and I
said the only thing missing is higher returns. I hope
they listen. I mean, that's why I'm in equities man, I'm
ok with risk. They should be more riskier and have better
returns!

Heavenlee

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #341 on: November 14, 2012, 11:48:57 am »
Hi all! I'm a newbie here and this is actually my first post (yehey!)

My stand: I was not a Life Insurance believer until someone made me realized that in time of emergency cases, worse untimely death, my investment won't be enough - or maybe just enough for the expenses ;  but nothing would be left for my son. So, I got a VUL from PRULife UK. Diversification plus protection at the same time.  ;)

Heavenlee

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #342 on: November 14, 2012, 12:43:09 pm »
Mga sis help pls... I am now 27... I would like to retire at age 50..

I looking for a good RETIREMENT PLAN which can give me atleast 30,000 MONTHLY PENSION.... 

Thanks po!!

diversify sis.. dont put all your eggs on 1 basket.. shop around. try VUL + MF + UITF etc.  :)

@ mxherr5 dito ka din pala sis! I often cross your posts sa kabilang website

artificialstar

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #343 on: November 24, 2012, 07:19:14 pm »
mga sis, saan nyo po ba nilalagay yung for retirement fund nyo? MF ba or VUL or kumukuha talaga kayo from insurance companies that are suited for retirement? thanks :)

adrian

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #344 on: November 24, 2012, 10:53:14 pm »
Sis mxherr5,

I have a BDO savings account, which makes me eligible to sign up in-house for BDO's UITF.  The problem is, when I read their data on the BDO website about UITF, I understood UITF's to be very similar naman din to mutual funds, which I already have from Sunlife.

I already paid and got an EIP account at COL, pero next year pa mag-oopen ulit yung seminars for fundamental analysis, so at least for stocks, may in-roads na akong nagawa. I'm diversifying na kasi, from MF's to stocks, so what would UITF's bring into the mix, if they're so much like MF's (at least to me)?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:55:43 pm by adrian »

mxherr5

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #345 on: November 26, 2012, 02:32:40 pm »
None.
Their basically the same except UITFs are managed by a bank's trust company
while mutual funds are managed by investment companies.

Also one major difference is, with a mutual fund, you are a part owner and
you can theoretically vote out the current fund manager.

But for all intents and purposes, their both the same.

adrian

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #346 on: November 26, 2012, 07:58:48 pm »
Ahh, ganon. Buti na lang di ko pa na-print-out yung forms, hehe. Thanks very much for your reply, sis!

mxherr5

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #347 on: November 28, 2012, 01:42:43 pm »
I rather let go of my Sunlife MF btw
and am now invested in UITFs, one of them
BDO.

I'm assuming you went with Option B as I did.
I would have dropped my Sunlife MF sooner but
I had a 5 year lock in period.

If you're not being forced to stay with Sunlife's MF
by any penalties. I'm curious to find out what makes
you think Sunlife's MF is superior to other MFs and UITFs?

My reasons for investing in UITFs is
1.) no sales loads
2.) shorter witholding periods compared to mutual funds

The cons are
1.) clueless branch people who don't know anything about
their product.

But sounds like your pretty savvy so that shouldn't be
a big problem for you.

sales_lady

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #348 on: December 02, 2012, 01:49:41 pm »
What's UITIF?

bb

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #349 on: December 19, 2012, 03:57:25 pm »
If you can get MF and VUL, it would be better. But for me life and health insurance comes first. Keep yourself protected before accumulating wealth.

dyosabel

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #350 on: January 09, 2013, 05:34:56 pm »
Quote
My Pru Life Retirement Fund - I have a VUL just 10 years to pay and a forecasted 4M by retirement (compounding, low-high history rates) so that's money that I don't have to mind as much because it's one of my stable saving tool. I have only 500k insurance coverage together with it but that's ok as is because I'm still single, 26, and have a job at a relatively safe place.

Magkano ang monthly payment mo para dito?

I'm planning to get a retirement plan tapos gusto ko din mag-invest, saka gusto ko maeenjoy ko yung money ko kahit buhay pa ko. Feeling ko swak saken tong VUL.

Pero tingin nyu mga sis [textspeak!] ba mas ok:
- VUL
- Whole life plan + MF
- Whole life plan + UITF

Please enlighten me. I'm 25 yrs. old, single and youngest in the family. Kaya ang sinusuportahan ko nalang talaga ay mga magulang ko. Pero nagbibigay din sa mga kapatid at pamangkin pag kinakailangan. Gusto ko sana na parang may pension ako pagdating ng panahon na gusto ko na magretire at the same time insured ako at yung magiging pamilya ko if ever maaksidente, magkasakit or madeds ako (knock on wood). Salamat po sa makakasagot. :)

adrian

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #351 on: January 09, 2013, 07:52:42 pm »
I rather let go of my Sunlife MF btw
and am now invested in UITFs, one of them
BDO.

I'm assuming you went with Option B as I did.
I would have dropped my Sunlife MF sooner but
I had a 5 year lock in period.

If you're not being forced to stay with Sunlife's MF
by any penalties. I'm curious to find out what makes
you think Sunlife's MF is superior to other MFs and UITFs?

My reasons for investing in UITFs is
1.) no sales loads
2.) shorter witholding periods compared to mutual funds

The cons are
1.) clueless branch people who don't know anything about
their product.

But sounds like your pretty savvy so that shouldn't be
a big problem for you.

Sorry for the long wait sis, ngayon lang abko nakabalik sa computer ko.

Basically, I'm a lazy-ass, hehe.

One of my aunts used to work for Sunlife. At malapit lang ang Quezon Avenue branch samin, pwedeng lakarin. Sunlife was the first one I've researched, and the first to respond to my emails. So that was it.

Sunlife kasi is for the long haul, I'm not expecting miracles. I'm leaving that money to forget about it.  As in, pang-retirement ko na talaga yun, which is at least 20 years away pa. AND AND AND if it's not performing I can always take it out after 5 years and put it somewhere else. At any rate, it's really better than leaving it in a savings account with the teeny tiny interest they give these days, diba?

The money I plan to grow  this year AND over the next 3-5 years (although alam kong malaki din ang risks) is the money I'm setting aside for the stock market. Sayang nga lang at nagkasakit mom ko, hospital bills took a big bite, plus may operation pa kami to look forward to, so 'yun din, haayyy.

sales_lady

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #352 on: January 10, 2013, 06:42:45 am »
What's the best life insurance or retirement fund ba so far mga sis?

swit_squiggle

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #353 on: January 11, 2013, 07:56:44 pm »
What's the best life insurance or retirement fund ba so far mga sis?
This is not a battle of what insurance company is the best or that Funds that performs well. Pero kung ano ang maidudulot nitong kabutihan for us and our family.
 
A plan is a good deal once it address the clients hesitations, will achieve the clients financial goals, meet the clients budget. In short tinahe ang policy para talaga sa pangangailangan mo sis sales_lady.

This has been a good start for you now that you are curious  with personal finance. Keep on learning and tulad ng mga nakilala ko dito sa GT, in just a year, naku! mga malalakas na ang loob mag stock, may real estate investment na, may insurances na, may retirement fund. All thanks to our Ka-GT's.

If you can get MF and VUL, it would be better. But for me life and health insurance comes first. Keep yourself protected before accumulating wealth.

tomoh!

I rather let go of my Sunlife MF btw
and am now invested in UITFs, one of them
BDO.

I have both. I just wanted to test the waters para lang meron akong comparison. What can I say?

Personally it's not a big deal kung magkano man ang ma-e-earn ko. The money I put in this two funds are the money that I no longer need. This are what we call dead money and I'm planning to harvest this 20 or 30 years after. Yung nagandahan ko sa BDO kasi automatic deducted sya sa account each month. Keshyo mataas ang return ni BDO - Yes it performs well, thanks to their fund managers but one thing I don't like, walang update regarding our funds.

What about Sunlife? Sa totoo lang mas malaki pa si Sunlife sa kay BDO. A major player in the stock market. Pero bakit hindi niya mapantayan ang returns? ewan.. pwede naman nilang piratahin di ba? Personally I trust the company, they are transparent, I can attend the meetings because I am a stockholder, and I am entitled to vote and receive dividends. Nung hindi pa enrolled sa Online Portal nila I received a monthly update sa performance ng fund ko. since I register sa kanilang Sunlik I can see how much my fund has gained through the internet.

tayntayn

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #354 on: January 18, 2013, 12:42:15 am »
thanks to this thread i feel more enlightened kung anong type of insurance ang kukunin ko for me and my hubby. VUL na lang for us especially im a beginner in investments pa.

post away pa mga sisses para very educational ang discussion..

mayumiyumei27

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #355 on: January 29, 2013, 06:58:33 am »
Hi Guys,

I have Flexilink term insurance ang nakuha ko. 36k annually. Ang mahal no? Sadly yes, pagkakamali ko is nakuha ko 'to dahil ayoko ng long holding period of more than 5 years. Worried kasi ako na baka biglang mawala 'yung sunlife.

But eventually narealize ko na the medical benefits we have in the office is not that flexible, and my inooffer rin pa lang may medical coverage with Sun. I'm not sickly, and I really avoid getting sick, however, I learned na 'di rin maiiwasan ang mga pangyayaring ma-ospital ka or really get ill no matter hard you take care of yourself.

Term insurance ang inapply ko, baka may mga alam kayo na pwede kong pasukan for medical insurance.  :-X

dyosabel

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #356 on: January 29, 2013, 03:54:41 pm »
Hi Guys,

I have Flexilink term insurance ang nakuha ko. 36k annually. Ang mahal no? Sadly yes, pagkakamali ko is nakuha ko 'to dahil ayoko ng long holding period of more than 5 years. Worried kasi ako na baka biglang mawala 'yung sunlife.

But eventually narealize ko na the medical benefits we have in the office is not that flexible, and my inooffer rin pa lang may medical coverage with Sun. I'm not sickly, and I really avoid getting sick, however, I learned na 'di rin maiiwasan ang mga pangyayaring ma-ospital ka or really get ill no matter hard you take care of yourself.

Term insurance ang inapply ko, baka may mga alam kayo na pwede kong pasukan for medical insurance.  :-X

sis check mu yung sa philam life health 100. Twenty yrs to pay and covered ka until age 100. Check mu nalang yung link: http://philamlife.com/en/individuals/products-and-services/protection/health/

luscious_peach

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #357 on: January 29, 2013, 05:31:19 pm »
@mayumiyumei27 sis anong difference nyang flexilink sa regular flexilink? ilang years to pay ka?

I already have term insurance and lastweek lang naintroduce skin ang flexilink. Interested ako sa pure investment part (balanced fund) pero im still thinking of getting VUL.  What do you think better ba if BPI UITF nalang than MF sa sunlife?

bb

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #358 on: January 30, 2013, 08:55:32 pm »
hello mga sis. i just want to share my opinion. i'm also a Sunlife advisor by the way.

Ano ba ang mas maganda retirement or life insurance?

parehas maganda na magkaroon tayo nito. pero sa mga clients ko syempre kung ano ang choice nila yun ang susundin ko. pero lagi ko sinasabi sa kanila na before you accumulate wealth, make sure you are protected especially of you have dependents. bakit? because if something unfortunate happens to you, where would you get the money to pay for damages? syempre sa na-accumulate na wealth. ubos ang mga pinag-ipunan. but if you are protected, somebody will have to pay for the damages, that's the role of insurances. and your hard earned money will still be intact.

again. ito ay opinyon ko lang po na gusto ko i-share baka makatulong sa inyong pag-iisip hehe. thank you. :)

mayumiyumei27

  • Guest
Re: Life Insurance or Retirement fund? (Thread 2)
« Reply #359 on: February 01, 2013, 11:27:47 am »
@mayumiyumei27 sis anong difference nyang flexilink sa regular flexilink? ilang years to pay ka?

I already have term insurance and lastweek lang naintroduce skin ang flexilink. Interested ako sa pure investment part (balanced fund) pero im still thinking of getting VUL.  What do you think better ba if BPI UITF nalang than MF sa sunlife?

Oopps, nagkamali ako ng post, what I got is Maxilink Bright, this is a term insurance and yes medyo mahal talaga proposed amount sa akin. But anyway, kasalanan ko rin kasi talagang inoffer ko na ganitong amount 'yung kaya ko ishell out, later ko na naisip na ipasok 'yung buong family ko since I've seen here talaga na reliable ang sun life, saka I have to say, hindi talaga kami mayaman and I doubt na may paghuhugutan kami ng pera if ever something goes wrong (hospitalization bills, accidents and suddenly disability - knock on wood - 'wag naman sana).

I would suggest VUL na pasukin mo sis, for my understanding, VUL = MF + Insurance (depende kung anong klase gusto mo). What I really liked about this is kung kelanganin mo ng emergency funds for medical purposes, covered ka, meaning, hindi mo magagalaw 'yung savings mo, and another thing is, it's linked with Mutual Funds, so you're both protected while investing.

It's a win-win situating for me. :)

BTW, Flexilink 'yung nirecommend para sa mom ko, with hospitalization benefits and critical Illness riders, but note that more riders, more coverage but higher premium.

But anyway, better check with your agent, mas maganda kasi sila magsabi sa 'yo what's more fit for you (depending on your risk appetite) and ano talagang benefits ang gusto mo.

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close