watch now

Author Topic: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?  (Read 40231 times)

makdonna

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2013, 03:20:13 pm »
the only things i splurge on are skin care and makeup. haha. priority ko ang skin care, though. when it comes to these two things, my wallet knows (almost) no bounds. i share the same sentiment as the sisses above, na skin care is priority simply because you wouldn't need as much makeup to hide flaws or enhance your skin if you have good skin to begin with. masaya lang talaga maglaro ng makeup. :D

WickedWitchOfTheWest

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2013, 03:34:19 pm »
Whatever you can afford that makes you happy and confident is worth it. :) But if we're being practical, you don't really need to splurge on luxury skincare. In most cases, the drugstore options are often better and less irritating. Desginer skincare kasi is laden with fragrance and other chemicals to make it feel more luxurious, and also possibly more irritating. We're also lucky that derma products and procedures are quite cheap here, and most Rx drugs like tretinoin are available over the counter. Sa US the most common complaint is deadma ang dermas, and give you rx for products to treat, not a full regimen, to help you maintain a good skin, kaya ata madaming foreigners and balikbayans na nagte-take advantage when they go here.

As for makeup, iba talaga ang texture and finish ng high end brands, and you will see that in most base products, almost incomparable ang low ends brands. So if you have budget limits, then splurge na lang on the necessities. For lipsticks and nail-polish, revlon often releases versions of the most trendy shades, and has generally good quality color products.

merchee

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2013, 03:39:01 pm »
when I was younger, I tend to spend more with make-up. gusto ko yung mixing and blending colors eh. so my stash really grew.,...neglecting skin care.

pero as I grew older, I'm aiming to have better skin and tinatamad na rin ako minsan to apply make-up. right now, I'm spending more with skin care....pero not the luxurious ones naman. those ones lang na i think that can make my skin better

liana

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2013, 04:44:31 pm »
skincare is really my priority, I really spend much on good skin care products. it's an investment for us girls, lalo na when you hit 30's lalabas talaga yung lines and spots :( I also notice na walang effect yung cheaper brands when I hit 30's so rather than spending on useless products medyo magsplurge na ko sa products that works for my skin.  And with good skin less makeup yung kailangan. I splurge on facial cleansers, moisturizers and eye cream. Sa toner okay na ko with Olay. Sa makeup naman I only buy those that I know I will use often especially on good foundation. Weakness ko lang talaga yung lippies  ;D

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:37:39 am by liana »

twelvth_goddess

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2013, 11:19:12 pm »
One can scrimp on skincare and not notice the difference at a young age pero when you start aging dun mapapansin na wala masyadong effects ang cheaper brands. I splurge on skincare cus you reap what you sow especially after sometime. For make up, i splurge on lipsticks, blushes, and loose powders.

lovehatemanila

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2013, 12:47:08 am »
Worth it syempre.  Not necessarily high-end dapat lahat.  For me, finding skincare and make up products that suit us is a continuous learning process.  Hit & miss.  A high-end cleanser & moisturiser + a low-end toner combo might suit your skin.  Hindi kailangan mag-base sa price.  Yung skin ko, never nakasundo ng any pond's products.  Pero kasundo ko yung eskinol.  Olay, ok lang.  Pero I have yet to find my HG face cream and I hope hindi yon LaMer no. 

Lotions, body butters and body sprays, eto hindi ako nagiisip dito.  Basta moisturising and mabango, go.  Kasehodang good for 2 years supply pa ang mabili ko.  Hehe.

As for make up, I invest sa foundi & primer.  Also with nail polishes.  Nagsa-suffer talaga ang nails sa ordinary polish.  Mejo mapili din ako sa lip products.  Kawawa naman ang lips pag umitim, baka di na mabawi.  Sa eyeshadows, okay lang kahit watsons make up brands, carry na ng primer yon. 

And most importantly, invest in common sense.  Make up sa bangketa, ita-try mo pa talaga?  Pwede naman mag local brands.

Antigone

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2013, 06:15:36 am »
Skincare ko, hindi masyadong expensive. Ok na ok na ako sa Dove soap, Physiogel AI, Neutrogena sunblock.
Eto yung combination na super nagwo-work for me. Medyo madali ako ma-irritate, Physiogel AI cream lang ang
gamot. I drench my skin with it, my skin loves it. Lotion sa AM, cream sa PM.

Makeup, hindi ako madalas gumamit pero mahilig ako bumili kahit mahal. Iba kasi talaga ang finish/quality/milling.

aquacharly

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2013, 09:11:42 am »
Yes, worth it. IMO, though pricey -- some expensive products even save you time & money.
And well,  you spend it on your face --  It is  your "calling card", so to speak.
But -  everything in moderation. 

My skincare, at 1st cuenta, expensive -- but I am not careless with it, I mind how  I use these & stretch it to 6 months. The La Mer cleanser & moisturizer improved my skin.  Naka save ako on time & money coz I no longer go to the derma as often. 
Using Chanel CC cream, I no longer use/buy sunblock, primer & oil control.  Foundation use too has become optional.

Pricey make-up, per my experience, stand up to the rigors of my hectic days -- at 3PM, I check my face -- buhay pa, hahaha, hindi na wash-out.  I don't get skin irritations, and I always smell nicely scented (hindi ba mabango make-up?) sabi ni hubby & kids (after kissing me)

IMO, certain brands' quality rightly demand higher prices.  What I do -- I try new products when I am in New York.  Pag hindi ko gamay anything: skincare, make-up -- easy to return.  Baket ko throw away my cash -- hindi ako kurakutista! Lol

Aside from "calling card" preservation &  presentation --  may psychological effect my make-up on me.
On blah days -- red lipstick puts me right & gets me going.
Pag anxious ako about a certain meeting -- ah, layer on the make-up! 

Yes, it is worth the expense IF you use what you purchase daily/regularly.   


twelvth_goddess

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2013, 11:53:11 am »
^I agree that your face is your calling card.

 I really wouldnt scrimp on anything I put on my face. True pati na good make up brands can stand for hours. I dont use foundation, just NARS loose powder. I put my make up on before driving for work and I dont even have to retouch on powder until nearly the end of my workshift. Madalas I dont retouch na talaga, I just blot the oil. So my powder lasts for about 3 months, sulit na for the price kesa cheaper powders na kelangan mag-retouch every now and then.

mizteaza

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2013, 06:10:41 pm »
I think you should always choose what works for you. It can be expensive or cheap
basta it works for you then you should stick to it. Investment talaga ang skin and makeup as long
as you are getting what you pay for. Mahirap bumili ng expensive skin care products na you can't maintain naman
or kaya titipidin mo ang paglagay sa face when you are not suppose to. So dapat get the products na you can
buy anytime it rans out and something that truly works for your skin. Most expensive products naman
will last you for months so I guess its all worth it. I like using obagi products for my face. The foaming gel alone
is almost 3k at house of obagi but if its doing wonder for you then go for it. A bottle lasts me about 3 months twice a day use
pa yan. Little goes a long way naman usually the expensive products. :)

cottondoll

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2013, 10:07:17 pm »
I really focus my attention on skincare especially because I'm a student and it's impractical for me to put on makeup, anyway. I've spent thousands of my allowance trying out drugstore products, finding the ones that work for me and sticking by them. Personally, though, I don't think I'll ever go for luxury skincare products just because I think drugstore products work just as well, some maybe even better. Although I am starting to develop a slight interest in makeup, I still think that taking care of your skin will serve you better in the long run as opposed to makeup na day by day ka lang igi-get by :)

crazycoolchic19

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2013, 06:35:07 am »
Im on my 30s ...i admit i spend too much on cosmetics and skincare,and  vitamins..happy naman ako at maganda ang results sakin, skin vitamins talaga jan malaki talaga nagagastos ko :D hinde na naman ako teeners para mag paka careless sa skins kelangan ng maintenance para madelay ang aging.,:D i want to look good ....feel good.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:37:20 am by crazycoolchic19 »

Antigone

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2013, 06:41:18 am »
^Tinamaan ako dyan. Tama ka sis. These days I'm so careless nakakatulog ako sa sobrang pagod.
I should start taking care of my skin na talaga.

boo.dha

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2014, 07:18:03 pm »
I would invest on both cosmetics and skin care.. and why not, this is my face.  Hirap na rin to get wrinkles and fine lines.

cosmochick

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2014, 07:58:23 pm »
Oh yes, im so magastos when it comes to skincare. IM using Obagi products on my skin and Im on gluta IV ,too. I also take gluta tablets. On gluta IV alone, I have spent more than 180k na in the last two months...and will be spending more...! Not counting pa other things like facials thought not regular naman, etc ..

When it comes to make up, i just use the basic, Obagi primer, chanel foundie and loose powder, Chanel or clinique mascara and ReD lippies. And im good to go.. Dami ko lang red lippes.. Sometimes ,I think Im crazy and impractical but everytime I tell people my real age and their mouth hang wide open in shocked and disbelief, hell, yeah! Worth every cent, baby!! :D

But I gave up my love for luxury bags for this naman... Before kasi I was a bag addict but now... Tingin tingin na lang ako..cant have evrything.. Or else, mamumulubi talaga ako... So I think kung kaya mo, then by all means , do iit, as long as you dont go in debt and you pay all your obligations and still have some savings left. Its all bout balance and priority...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:41:48 pm by cosmochick »

iwannabeasupermodel

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2014, 08:53:32 pm »
I honestly think you dont need to actually spend a lot on skincare, as long you hydrate well and clea your face and moisturize, you're good to go. Unless you really want extreme/very drastic changes :-P

cynth_pink00

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2014, 12:11:54 am »
I am the type who doesn't spend so much on clothes BUT for my FACE I really spulge a lot. I only chose the best. I used to use La Mer as my moisturizer and cleanser and YSL Forever Youth Serum. After that I was introduced to La Prairie Cellular Cream Platinum Rare which I initially enjoyed.  In the beginning it made my face really look healthy. However after about a month I started peeling big time. For almost a year now the only brand I'm using is MARVEL. To me this is the best. Easy to apply and gives my face a natural glow. My friend who also uses the product who had really huge pores, after she used MARVEL maging smaller her pores. I don't think I'll ever use a different brand again. I'm one satisfied user :)

nixiquita

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2014, 02:11:52 am »
Reading all your posts, napaspeechless ako. Wow. Hehe :) im impressed!

Siguro super gaganda at kinis niyo mga sis. :) Di ko pa kasi afford magsplurge talaga althouh magastos ako sa beauty products, pero more on kuripot parin cos i only buy or get the "cheaper" alternatives. Di pa kasi keri ng sahod. Hehe So tiis lang.

But i know its worth it naman kung talagang afford. Ako din, if given the chance, id gladly spend more money to take care of my skin too :)

innocent_beauty

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2014, 04:28:33 am »
I think 50/50 eto based on my observation and experience..here in my place (outside Philippines ) where I live marami mga tourist korean and japanese mga singaporean most products binibili nila makeup and nail polish obsess sila dun! punta ka sa Don Quote where madaming skincare products nila madalang lang mas gusto kc nila organic and for sensitive skin, madami na kong na try mga skincare products from japan to korean mga online or store nila. di ako nagtatagal di naman ganun ka effective, mas effective pa sa akin ng alagang derma basta hanap kalang ng magaling at certified nun nandyan pa ako sa Pilipinas ang ganda ng skin ko sa derma dito kc mahal ang derma consultation palang hundred dollars na.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 04:30:48 am by innocent_beauty »

Kim

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2014, 12:40:49 pm »
YES. I don't scrimp on skincare. I realized the pay off when I had been unfortunate to be stricken with chicken pox in my 30s. Naturally, I was worried about how my skin would heal, and if the pock marks would completely heal at all. Kahit derma ko nagulat. In less than a year, completely healed lahat.

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close