watch now

Author Topic: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?  (Read 40173 times)

angelbox

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 02:34:51 pm »
ako, medyo kuripot at "minimalist" ako when it comes to gamit - clothes, make-up, bags, shoes, accessories, etc. i don't really shop except when really necessary and i've found that i tend to stick to the basics and what has worked well for me. hindi na ko masyado nag-e-experiment kasi magastos and i have other priorities. i don't get "high" anymore when i acquire new clothes, bags, make up, etc.

what i do spend on are traveling, gadgets, and a bit on skin care. my big spendings this year were traveling in parts of asia for a month and my macbook. dagdag pa yung mga domestic and foreign "weekend travels" in between (d'yan nauubos ang pera ko!  ;D). mga ganun, kahit mabigat sa bulsa, para sa akin worth it. i'd willingly let go of 40K if it means traveling to another country or getting the new digital camera that i want. but i won't spend 5K in one sitting for make-up.

for skin care, i really set aside about 3K a month for my supplies. goal ako kasi to be able to go out of the house with just sunblock and still look fresh and glowing. i use make-up lang for work, to look professional. but if it's not needed, i prefer to go with minimum make-up - eyeliner lang to open up the eyes and a bit of concealer for the spots na dinaanan ng pimples. minsan powder pag may oiliness. madalang ako mag blush-on, and i never wear lipstick or foundation (except pag kasal or similar occasions).

so i guess, kanya-kanyang bisyo lang talaga. perhaps mine is traveling, gadgets and skin care. yours is make-up, coupled with your "getting-married" issues. in the end sis, its your money. pag-isipan mo na lang munang mabuti before you splurge. after mong mabili lahat yan, ano bang makukuha mo? to be frank, i don't think you will look dramatically different even after you buy all those make-up.  :)

twelvth_goddess

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 03:12:22 pm »
Even if you have good skin now it's still best to care for it using good products as well. Kaya nga skin care is an investment. I also have a ton of make up, when I look at my make up kits ang dameng blushes and glosses na I never realized were there and they're good brands like Nars, Chanel, and Christian Dior. So ang ending nyan madalas napapamigay ko sila, sayang ang thousands of money that I spent on them.

kaycee0307

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 04:57:57 pm »
I think your kit is OK.. BUT
I dont think you need to buy them all at the same time.. if youre super rich then maybe yes
but if not, then I guess you can  build your makeup arsenal slowly.. :D


kaycee0307

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 05:06:44 pm »
^^
To be honest, from December 26 last year til January 8, I spent a total of 56k on both makeup and skin care combined. And most of the makeups I bought, I sold din when I realized I don't really need them. I found the skin care products I bought back then more worth it than the makeups. Kasi when my skin got better, I found myself using less and less makeup. :)
Di ako nagyayabang that I spent that much but to also somehow share my experience on that. Mas worth it mag-invest on skin care and luckily, I found inexpensive but effective products from Healthy Options. And recently, I've bought more skin care products than makeup. :)

^^this.. super agree.. andami ko din nawaste na pera sa makeup.. now I just keep what I intend to use on at least a weekly basis.
Stick to the basics, and sa skincare hindi naman mahal.. Happy ako dun sa M2.. saka sa likas papaya soap hahaha
 
swerte na din minsan na aambunan ng free stuff dahil sa pagbloblog..

pero yun nga wag mo isipin ang pagexpire.. start with what you need. If you have good skin naman, why use foundation?
skip it and use a good blush or luminizer instead if you really want that glow

napansin ko din when I stopped using foundation, my skin started to look better on its own..

dati kasi pag di ako nagmamakeup, napapansin ng mga officemates ko..

ngayon pag di ako nakamakeup.. kala nila nakamakeup pa din! haha thanks to good skin na!

Heatherette

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 07:34:15 pm »
Skin care will always win over makeup pero hindi naman ibig sabihin na porket maganda na skin mo eh wag ka na mag-makeup kasi yung pagma-makeup, hindi dahil kino-cover mo yung hindi mo gusto sa skin (although isa rin tong dahilan bakit nagma-makeup ibang tao) pero may tao kasi na gusto yung feeling made up, presentable (gaya nga ng sabi mo), may buhay ang skin kaya nagma-makeup. So wag i-discount yung fact na maganda skin = wag na mag-makeup. Plus, we're girls, ma-kikay talaga minsan ang ibang girls (hindi ko sinabing lahat lol).

So eto ang gagawin natin lol Since, fetish mo talaga ang makeup kesa sa clothes (which pareho tayo dito haha). I assume you're taking good care of your skin naman and since sinabi mo naman na kaya ng powers mo bumili, gawin lang natin in moderation at patayin natin yung mga dapat patayin sa list mo para di mabigat.

First of all, gaano na kadami yung makeup stash mo? Wag mo muna isama yung bibilhin mo. If you can list that down here maybe we can work something out. Sayang naman kasi kung meron ka pa sa stash mo then mag-add ka pa. Building a makeup kit doesn't have to be isang bagsakan. Trust us, yung makeup kit namin, matagal tagal din nabuo.

Second, have you though of letting some on your list go? Like ano ba yung gusto mo sa look mo? And the makeup that you're planning on buying, are you going to use it on your wedding day? Hindi ka ba ma-makeupan ng MUA using her own products? Baka pwede ma-pre-empt kasi tong shopping spree mo hehe

Pero kung hindi talaga... then let's kill some on your list.

Foundations:
You mentioned you already have two foundations - Shu and NARS which you said di nag-matched yung shade sayo. Yung RMK na bibilhin mo, are you sure na mag-match din sayo yun since we don't have a RMK counter here? 3 kasi yung RMK sa list mo at di rin biro ang price. Mahirap mag-gamble sa shade unless you're really sure of your shade. Make sure di na ok siya sa skin type mo.

Primer:
I have that primer from Guerlain and I mentioned in a couple of threads already na pag pinatungan mo yan ng mattifying powder eh mawawala yung glow na yan. Yung setting powder pwede na rin yung powder foundation or pressed powder. It doesn't have to be a separate setting powder.

Eyes:
Are you planning to do eye makeup on a regular basis? Pwede yung palette but then you have to buy brushes pa. Yung pencil liner in black and brown, buy mo yung Naked Palette na may kasamang eyeliner na black and brown. Have you tried Tony Moly personally? Wag padadala sa hype ng ibang tao. Mas mabuti ma-try mo personally. May Tony Moly na ata na store, maybe you can visit their store.

Gaya nga ng sabi ko about Tony Moly, try mo mismo yung products. Same goes with what you have in your list except yung wala talaga dito like RMK, Tarte and UD. May NARS counters naman sa atin, visit mo yun para makapili ka ng babagay sayo na blush, lipstick and gloss.

Lastly, don't feel guilty basta make sure na magagamit mo silang lahat and I am sure na minsan ka lang naman bumili ng makeup sa buong buhay mo.

blooming

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 08:29:35 pm »
Ito naman ang suggestion ko:

1.  sabi nga ni sis heatherette, check your current stock.  throw away the stuff you dont need. baka meron ka pang hindi mo na-o-open. 

2. if you want to be more practical, sure ka na ba na hiyang ka sa lahat ng gusto mong bilhin?  Do your research siguro muna, para paisa-isa lang ang bili.

3.  40k for me in one go is too much. para sakin hanggang 10-15k lang siguro if you buy one whole set of skincare.   pero pagbisita sa facial care center puede umabot ng 40k, kulang pa.  ;D  Derma 10k.
Recently naman, I went to Korea, isip ko minsan lang mapadpad dun, marami akong nahoard at hindi ko na sya kinompute.  ;D

4.  sis, ikakasal ka na kamo.  kaya 40k for your new set of cosmetics and skincare para sa bagong kasal.... why not?  magbubukod kayo ni h2b mo, at least lahat ng abubot mo bago.  :D


.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:42:26 pm by blooming »

Karrie

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 08:48:33 pm »
I learned the hard way that you have to spend a little to get good quality items.  In high school (long time ago) I would use MAX factor lipstick, but I was wondering why my lips where always chapped really bad.  Really bad, I even went to Belo when she was a derma with a small clinic in Makati.  It didnt help.  But I Still continued to wear it because it was the budget I had.  One day my tita told my mom to try Chanel, expensive but it could help.  My mom had no choice but to buy me the lipstick, she allowed me to wear make up at a young age.  All of a sudden my chapped lips went away.  Now I am picky with lipstick, no matter how good the color is the quality must be even better to prevent any problems.  In cold countries nothing like European brand lipstick to soothe the dry lips.

Another issue would be good make up brushes. cheap make up brushes can scratch and hurt your tender skin.  Which at the end could be wrinkles/crows feet on the eye area.  Lesson learned, brush must be soft so not to hurt the skin.

I learned if I skimp, I could end up in the doctors office  asking for medication for skin problems caused by no so good cosmetics or skin care.  Most of the time, the doctors office and medicine are more expensive then the skin care or make up.

Good skin care and cosmetics is an investment.

angelwings_hk

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 08:57:27 pm »
i got really curious with this thread so here's my 2 cents about this topic.

regarding spending that much in one go, when i was new with makeup i bought a lot of things that didnt work out for me thus i spent a lot more. i suggest to take it one step at a time. you have 2 foundations on your list, why not try one first? what is better suited for your skin type?liquid or powder?

re: guerlain primer  - i have 1 and IMHO its not worth the price tag. i have the one with gold flecks as well. if you like glowy complexion, you can try foundations like nars sheer glow, mufe hd foundation and such. try highlighters as well, i have clarins instant light something (sorry, im lazy to check out the actual name right now) and it works pretty well, cheaper ones like skinfood shine base works just as well and it looks really glowy and pretty.

lipsticks and lip glosses - i personally do not like nars lip products but i am not going to discourage you to buy one, to each his own. but maybe try out dior and chanel lipsticks? :)

bronzer - make sure you know how to apply bronzer properly before you buy such an expensive one. i know a lot of people who look like they have brown strips on their faces because they don't really know how to apply bronzer properly. i think you can postpone the bronzer until you're more adept at applying makeup. i dont think its a must have as well unless you're really very very pale.


honeybunny

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 09:57:22 pm »
skin care of course!

ayaw ko nga masabihan na "pangit pala niya pag walang make up!"

:)

i agree! same goes with everyone else is saying. yan din ang sinasabi ko sa sarili ko nuon kaya maayos skin ko, ngayon naadik na naman ako sa makeup ulit kaya so so na lang yung skin pero pinipilit kong ibalik sa skin care talaga. i don't wear makeup naman 24/7 syempre you have to let your skin breathe din

ang problema ko lang is yung dark undereye ko and yung lips ko na mukhang naubusan na ako ng dugo sa itsura nya. ;D

honeypie_0106

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 10:49:58 pm »
Skin care will always win over makeup pero hindi naman ibig sabihin na porket maganda na skin mo eh wag ka na mag-makeup kasi yung pagma-makeup, hindi dahil kino-cover mo yung hindi mo gusto sa skin (although isa rin tong dahilan bakit nagma-makeup ibang tao) pero may tao kasi na gusto yung feeling made up, presentable (gaya nga ng sabi mo), may buhay ang skin kaya nagma-makeup. So wag i-discount yung fact na maganda skin = wag na mag-makeup. Plus, we're girls, ma-kikay talaga minsan ang ibang girls (hindi ko sinabing lahat lol).


This is true, a clear skin doesn't necessarily produce a made up look.  Siguro if I'm a student ok lang, but when your working, there are times that being "polish" -  which I lack,  A LOT - pays off.


1. First of all, gaano na kadami yung makeup stash mo? 

I have no lipsticks at all, pa expire na cheek blush, no eyeshadow, pa ubos na mascara, and bad eyeliners na drugstore ang brand....
Nag mineral makeup ako dati and hindi ko feel yung mineral sa akin.  Parang it wasn't up to par with the hype. Although I did like Milea, but it wasn't really that good. Most of my makeup nag expire na, like my shiseido foundation, powder, and concealer.  I tried switching sa mineral, mura and easy to build, hindi ko rin nagustuhan, like wise ang dami ko binili like blush and lipglosses, veils, etc... napamigay ko kase hassle yung kalat ng powder and it seemed really oily on me too..... 
Then I tried dupes, like elf and stuff, I gave it away since iba ang dikit ng kulay sa akin... So right now... wala... pwera sa mga foundies like shu and nars na mali din ang bili because primarily hindi match sa shade ko.  I have majolica majorca pressed powder.... ok lang sya.... 
I extremely like yung sunplay sunblock ko na pink though :)..... 
I also tried laniege, but I felt it enlarged my pores and it was very heavy.... plus color was not so good....
I have smashbox tinted moisturizer na namumuo pag uminit na... smashbox primer din which is ok naman... so honestly, there is not one piece of makeup that I extremely love na mayroon ako... I don't want to go back to shiseido because of poor oil control, plus may konting white cast sa photos... I had this sa kasal ng sis ko.  Not so good also... So maraming not so good.

Sa RMK naman, I had an EXTREME lemming dito, sobrang extreme, where I would browse the site every night, so I bought na... mayroon na ako nung tatlong rmk, I took the gamble, I risked yung shade choice ko, bahala na!  Atleast I tried... lipat na lang sa stromboli or punjab ng Nars pag mali.  I'll give my opinion sa foundation thread when I recieve it na this saturday.

Second, have you though of letting some on your list go? Like ano ba yung gusto mo sa look mo? And the makeup that you're planning on buying, are you going to use it on your wedding day? Hindi ka ba ma-makeupan ng MUA using her own products?

Naging habit na sa family namin to buy our own makeups for the wedding day... Tapos ito ang ipapalagay sa makeup artist... No airbrush since, as part artist myself - canvas form, I feel you have lesser control sa airbrush rather than traditional... I just apply that thought sa makeup.

The look? natural, pero when I'm on meetings or party, I have to be made up.  Actually I have no MUA sa ngayon na napili although may napupusuan na ako.

I have that primer from Guerlain and I mentioned in a couple of threads already na pag pinatungan mo yan ng mattifying powder eh mawawala yung glow na yan

I'm attached to primers.  Before I put sunblock una muna primer ko na smashbox.  For me, this is not an extra step.  It is the first step.  Although alam ko na mawawala yung glow pag nag foundation, I can still wear it alone right or below my sunblock?  So ito talaga sis, I may give up on my lippies and cheekies :) , but maybe not this.  My EXTREME want for this is similar to RMK...  it is really EXTREME.

Eyes:
Are you planning to do eye makeup on a regular basis? Pwede yung palette but then you have to buy brushes pa. Yung pencil liner in black and brown, buy mo yung Naked Palette na may kasamang eyeliner na black and brown. Have you tried Tony Moly personally? Wag padadala sa hype ng ibang tao. Mas mabuti ma-try mo personally. May Tony Moly na ata na store, maybe you can visit their store.


This I agree with you whole heartedly, kase I do feel I don't need the NAKED palette din, pero it makes me feel na parang complete collection ko eh, to tell you the truth, nagtipid ako nun, I bought local makeup products and parang gray lahat lumabas kulay sa akin, it was a waste.... Mineral naman, ang kalat kalat!
If you can recommend me a cheaper palette, it would help...... regards sa TONY MOLY, not yet.... So try ko Bobbi Brown or Mac Fluidline?

Lastly, don't feel guilty basta make sure na magagamit mo silang lahat and I am sure na minsan ka lang naman bumili ng makeup sa buong buhay mo.

The problem is, I do feel like I'm buying constantly, trying it out pa sa stores and stuff, pero I end up getting a less than stellar product...Kase iniisip ko lagi budget, tapos yun pala it more expensive din... sa blushes, ang dami k na natry, yeah I can buy 3 na cheap blushes for 1 nars, pero staying power, pigmentation, application control... its not the same... And sometimes when you have good skin, parang mas halata ang pagka chalky or shimmery ng isang product.... no pun ha!

FYI, where is yung reccommendation for lippies and blushes?  Bias ka ha! :) Joke lang.

honeypie_0106

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 11:00:33 pm »
I learned the hard way that you have to spend a little to get good quality items. 

Another issue would be good make up brushes. cheap make up brushes can scratch and hurt your tender skin.  Which at the end could be wrinkles/crows feet on the eye area.  Lesson learned, brush must be soft so not to hurt the skin.

I learned if I skimp, I could end up in the doctors office  asking for medication for skin problems caused by no so good cosmetics or skin care.  Most of the time, the doctors office and medicine are more expensive then the skin care or make up.

Good skin care and cosmetics is an investment.

It is an investment.  I agree. A good makeup can enhance a clear face... I don't intend to hide anything naman sa face ko.  I just need the kit to spice up my look when necessary,  I don't think it would look nice to always have one lip color regardless if your in the mall, a party, a business meeting, travelling, etc...

Sometimes, different activities require different colors to have a more subtle effect of looking polished.  You can't look the same everyday... You would loose your luster / glow... This happened to me... Same shades all the time, kaya kahit nakaayos, parang hindi pa rin, because its what I / you wear casually everyday.

...and kulang pa sa listahan ko sigma brushes...

honeypie_0106

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 11:02:52 pm »
Ito naman ang suggestion ko:


4.  sis, ikakasal ka na kamo.  kaya 40k for your new set of cosmetics and skincare para sa bagong kasal.... why not?  magbubukod kayo ni h2b mo, at least lahat ng abubot mo bago.  :D


Really funny!!! By far the funniest comment I have read in this thread!  Nabasa mo nasa isip ko kung bakit. ;D

Heatherette

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 11:08:16 pm »
^Okay. Gets ko na.

I will PM you nalang at mala-nobela ang sagot ko haha

honeypie_0106

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 11:10:57 pm »
i got really curious with this thread so here's my 2 cents about this topic.

lipsticks and lip glosses - i personally do not like nars lip products but i am not going to discourage you to buy one, to each his own. but maybe try out dior and chanel lipsticks? :)

bronzer - make sure you know how to apply bronzer properly before you buy such an expensive one. i know a lot of people who look like they have brown strips on their faces because they don't really know how to apply bronzer properly. i think you can postpone the bronzer until you're more adept at applying makeup. i dont think its a must have as well unless you're really very very pale.



Regards sa bronzer, its more of contouring, and making the V shape kaya ko gusto bilhin.. this can make your face smaller... I wanted to buy laguna because I can have two uses for one product...

In terms of lipsticks, I feel nars has a longer wear, than most products... But I have recently found out that shiseido carries lead free lippies, although not so long lasting, it would not make my lips dark in contrast to cheaper brands like loreal or revlon.  So nakamura na ako ng 100 pesos sa pag switch ko...lol!

thefemaledoctor

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 01:27:57 am »
I have a very small make up collection. I only buy things that works really well for me. However, I don't care spending a lot of money on high-end make up that delivers naman.

ads83

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2011, 02:54:16 am »
i have a small make up collection too and i think i won't be able to finish my 4 powder blushes in the next four or five years. so i think how much i paid for my blushes won't matter anymore. it's ok naman to invest whether on skin care or make up just exercise some sort of restraint so nothing will go to waste :)

yellowbell

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2011, 07:10:57 am »
Huwag mo biglain ang pagbili sis para hindi ka ma guilty on spending more or less P40k. Unahin mo na lang yung kailangan na kailangan mo talaga.

honeypie_0106

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 07:20:47 am »
^Okay. Gets ko na.

I will PM you nalang at mala-nobela ang sagot ko haha

Sis did you pm na ba?  Wait ko....

WickedWitchOfTheWest

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 07:29:56 am »
This I agree with you whole heartedly, kase I do feel I don't need the NAKED palette din, pero it makes me feel na parang complete collection ko eh, to tell you the truth, nagtipid ako nun, I bought local makeup products and parang gray lahat lumabas kulay sa akin, it was a waste.... Mineral naman, ang kalat kalat!
If you can recommend me a cheaper palette, it would help...... regards sa TONY MOLY, not yet.... So try ko Bobbi Brown or Mac Fluidline?

Actually I think Naked Palette is an ok investment, andun na kasi all the shades you may need from natural to smokey eyes. Mura na rin siya for the number of shades you get. You can also get a customized palette from bobbi brown but at 1,000+ per shade nagmumukhang value na yung Naked. Another good option is the Too Faced Natural Eye Palette, it's slighly less expensive, and has 9 shades you can mix and match. In my experience mas ok din yung quality ng UD and TF eye shadows. compared to MAC and BB.

poshprincess

  • Guest
Re: Is it worth it to spend so much on cosmetics or skin care?
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2011, 08:15:41 am »
I am ok in spending for stuff (be it cosmetics or skincare) as long as it works for me.

Agree ako kay sis honeypie.. I used to try din the cheaper stuff (drugstore/local) but since i end up getting dissatisfied with the results, ang bagsak ko din is buying a more high-end one na delivers what it promises.. nadagdag gatos lang

now, instead of looking for cheaper alternatives na i end up not using, ill just cut to the chase and buy the high end ones that i know works for me. sayang din yung money spending on cheaper stuff kung di naman ok..

id rather invest, even though im careful din not to buy the diff brands na same lang pala yung shade.
for ex for lippies : i have 1 red, 1 pink, 1 nude, 1 coral and 1 mblb.. that's it! and for ES, i dont buy palettes na kahit may new ones  and gano pa ka sikat/rave  since i have 2 15-palettes na from MAC that i use regularly.

as long as you'll use it and it will work for u.. i'd say go for it.. or build it gradually.. :)


 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close