watch now

Author Topic: Common Grammar Mistakes  (Read 122558 times)

herroyalbleakness

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #300 on: February 23, 2012, 06:13:32 pm »
Nakita nyo na ba yung Pet Peeve Cartoon na nagci-circulate sa FB?

ANDITO

Sobrang English Nazi nung gumawa, pati ommission ng oxford comma at presence of a double space after a period binash, hehe.

ohcmon

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #301 on: February 23, 2012, 10:46:55 pm »
^ lol I'm guilty of the oxford comma. I know it's accepted naman to not use a comma if it is preceding "and" but I can't help it. :D Damn those papers in college. Haha.

theflygirl

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #302 on: February 24, 2012, 12:09:42 am »
I'm guilty of the ellipsis overuse! I'd better break the habit!

herroyalbleakness

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #303 on: February 24, 2012, 06:16:53 pm »
@flygirl

i really dont mind people who use dot-dot-dot's a lot.

******

I posted an entry in my blog which bothered me for weeks now:

"During the Neutrogena Fine Fairness event, I've accepted the challenge to go bare-faced on a date."

a. "I've" should drop the have and just be "I accepted"
b.  bare-faced vs bare-face

Those are the two that bugs me. Parang nakakahiya kung may makabasang English Nazi tas ang wrong grammar ng opening line ko.


hazeru

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #304 on: February 24, 2012, 09:15:25 pm »
^
a. "I accepted"
b. "barefaced"

For the sake of brevity, I'd use the active voice too.

"I accepted the challenge to go barefaced on a date during the Neutrogena Fine Fairness event."

hazeru

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #305 on: February 24, 2012, 09:22:40 pm »
I love TheOatmeal's grammar comics. My favorite is the one with the top 10 words one should stop misspelling.


Funny and useful at the same time! :P

herroyalbleakness

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #306 on: February 25, 2012, 02:28:23 am »
That's why my posts are so long and boring! Laging passive voice. Hay, san ba nag ugat ito.

thanks sis hazeru!

craziestqueenever

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #307 on: February 26, 2012, 02:41:27 am »
I'm so guilty of my grammar mistakes. I read my written articles when I was in college. Damn! Ni wala man lang nag attempt na mag correct sa grammar ko!

FOURever

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #308 on: April 02, 2012, 06:51:43 am »
Hi mga sis! Ano tama:

Beauty and brains or beauty and brain?

I use beauty and brains pero may naririnig akong beauty and brain ang sabi. Nalito tuloy ako..

poetrytoprose

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #309 on: April 02, 2012, 12:24:47 pm »
^^ beauty and brains. :)

Vera

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #310 on: April 02, 2012, 02:11:59 pm »
Regarding the use of Oxford / serial comma, most newspapers forego it to save space. So example:

My favorite movies are Ever After, 10 Things I Hate About You and Casablanca.

On the other hand, it is also correct to use a serial comma before the last item in a series. Oxford and Harvard Press use them all the time, thus the name Oxford comma. Example:

My favorite movies are Ever After, 10 Things I Hate About You, and Casablanca.

I personally like using it because it adds clarity to the sentence. I met some editors from SF Chronicle and Chicago Tribune and they prefer to omit it, but not doing so does not make your sentence incorrect style-wise.

rae

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #311 on: April 02, 2012, 02:52:04 pm »
Preferred ko din na may comma after 'and'

Binasa ko 'tong thread from start to finish. I learned a lot and I got reminded of some grammar rules. :)

I have this trick kapag nagsusulat ako. I go over it again, tapos I try to rewrite everything the shortest way possible. That way, nawawala na yung mga redundant adverbs and adjectives.

FOURever

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #312 on: April 02, 2012, 08:09:15 pm »
^ako naman, prefer ko na before 'and' yung comma. Yun turo samin sa technical writing..

M!ssy

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #313 on: April 05, 2012, 06:30:09 pm »
Oo nga, parang mas tama yung before 'and'   :)

krienne21

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #314 on: April 06, 2012, 10:17:36 pm »
eto naman, yung manager namin nag email. "in my absence, he will oversight the project"
naguluhan sa oversight at oversee. hahay, lakas pa makapintas nyan. guilty din sya he/she at forever past tense ang mga verbs na gamit nya.

tipC_shoegal

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #315 on: April 10, 2012, 07:39:42 am »
Using I'll + gonna (I will + going to) is incorrect.

FOURever

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #316 on: April 10, 2012, 07:59:54 am »
^kung tama ako: i'm gonna... She's gonna...

Kapag gotta naman?

Some kasi say "i gotta"

di ko sure kung slang sya for "got to" kaya for me the right one is "i've gotta"

Pakicorrect ako sis especially dun sa gotta, di ko sure kasi =) thanks

tipC_shoegal

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #317 on: April 10, 2012, 08:24:33 am »
^kung tama ako: i'm gonna... She's gonna...

Kapag gotta naman?

Some kasi say "i gotta"

di ko sure kung slang sya for "got to" kaya for me the right one is "i've gotta"

Pakicorrect ako sis especially dun sa gotta, di ko sure kasi =) thanks

^You're right, sis. It's supposed to be "I'm gonna..." or She's gonna" simply because you're contracting the statement "I am going to..." or She is going to..."

"I gotta" is also correct. It's short for "I got to."
"Gotta" is a contraction (Got to) and yes, a considered slang in the English language that's why it isn't really suggested that you use that word in formal writing.  ;)

FOURever

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #318 on: April 10, 2012, 08:38:13 am »
^thanks.. So "I got to/gotta" not "I've got to" =) I will keep that in mind :)

tipC_shoegal

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #319 on: April 10, 2012, 08:41:42 am »
^No worries! You're welcome!  ;)

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close