watch now

Author Topic: Common Grammar Mistakes  (Read 122518 times)

Stella_r

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #280 on: February 20, 2012, 12:18:30 pm »
I think yung "thanks God" na nakikita sa FB it would also be okay if it's intended as [Name] thanks God. Kasi the status appears right beside the name so assuming it's intended to be a sentence with the Name as the noun.. it's still correct.

Happy_Angel

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #281 on: February 20, 2012, 08:02:02 pm »
^pwede yan kung meron number before the word, like 2 persons.. pero kung persons lang nope..

yung thanks god or thank god na explain ko na din before


I totally agree with your explanation.

I think yung "thanks God" na nakikita sa FB it would also be okay if it's intended as [Name] thanks God. Kasi the status appears right beside the name so assuming it's intended to be a sentence with the Name as the noun.. it's still correct.

Hi sis :)

If the premise is you are attaching it to your name then yes, it is used in the right way. Though dun sa mga nakikita ko, I see it as their succeeding sentence to something that happened to them that brought about their gratefulness thereby making the use of "Thanks God!" inappropriate.

azel

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #282 on: February 21, 2012, 05:57:47 am »
"strength" mispelled ng "strenght"

Alam ko na hindi ito grammar mistake, pero susme, teacher ko pa naman sya nung HS! Kakahiya!

hahaha! ang kulet naman non, si teacher namali!  ;D

M!ssy

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #283 on: February 21, 2012, 07:29:44 am »
I'm not perfect and guilty din ako sa ibang post dito, pero naman.. Sakit sa ulo nung your/you're, were/we're, their/they're/there (there going to the mall) And yea, naiirita din ako dyan sa prolly na yan, ewan ko ba. Parang pa-cute na ewan.  ;D (sorry sa matatamaan ha)

Yung mga its/it's, were/we're. Kasalanan ng textspeak yan, kasi ako minsan natatamad maglagay ng ' pag sa text, so nagiging were yung we're.  ;D Buti nga bawal textspeak dito sa GT natututo ako magtype ng maayos, nung HS kasi til college nasanay ako sa textspeak kaya minsan di ko na alam ano tama. Ngayon asar na asar ako sa textspeak kahit sa cellphone pa. (ndi "me" alam kelan "me" makapunta) esp sa mga jejemons! Lol OT na  ;D

Yung Anyways and infairness, depende sa context ng sentence. Kung mukhang expression lang naman yun, hindi naman nakakairita basahin/pakinggan.
Even sa tagalog naman may mga salitang ginagamit natin sa ibang bagay.  ;)

greenwood05

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #284 on: February 21, 2012, 09:41:37 am »
Yung Anyways and infairness, depende sa context ng sentence. Kung mukhang expression lang naman yun, hindi naman nakakairita basahin/pakinggan.
Even sa tagalog naman may mga salitang ginagamit natin sa ibang bagay.  ;)

Nalilito din ako dyan, ano po ba tama? Anyway or Anyways?

super bratinella

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #285 on: February 21, 2012, 10:39:41 am »
I always read in FB status : Thanks God... It should be "Thank God"

Use in sentence : Thank God it's Friday.. it is not Thanks God it's Friday..

theflygirl

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #286 on: February 21, 2012, 12:24:07 pm »
@missy-you reminded me of the "prolly" word again...grrr talaga pag nababasa ko to. Pati yung "lemmings" na usage ay "wishing" or "yearning for" or "wanting"....ayayay...real definition ng lemming is a small rodent. In slang speak naman, it's blindly repeating the actions/words of another. Uh oh, either robot or gaya-gaya. Hehe.

Happy_Angel

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #287 on: February 21, 2012, 11:25:44 pm »
I also observe as a common error would be the usage of "one of the _____". This should always be followed by a plural noun.

Correct: I consider myself as one of the boys in our group.

Lady Czarina

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #288 on: February 22, 2012, 05:04:33 pm »
Uhm, word ba talaga ang "anyways"? akala ko gay lingo lang to..

shyreen

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #289 on: February 22, 2012, 07:26:47 pm »
correct ba talaga yung -->"I'm craving mangoes" instead of "I'm craving for mangoes" ??.. parang medyo nalito ko dun ah.

shyreen

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #290 on: February 22, 2012, 07:28:34 pm »
alin ang tama?
"A promise of forever has been used several times"
or
"A promise of forever have been used several times" ?

ohcmon

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #291 on: February 22, 2012, 08:59:43 pm »
^ Has. Singular subject so the verb should be singular as well.

Singular - has
Plural - have

shyreen

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #292 on: February 22, 2012, 11:31:09 pm »
^thanks hehe.. ahh kapag may could/should lang pwede yung have sa singular? like.. "It should have been me"

Isa pa palang napapansin ko yung "Happy 8th year anniversary!"
dapat "Happy 8th anniversary!" lang kasi anniversary refers to year nadin.

tama ba? XD

whatswithjuly

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #293 on: February 22, 2012, 11:38:10 pm »
Uhm, word ba talaga ang "anyways"? akala ko gay lingo lang to..

no such word. gay lingo nga lang yata yan. should be "anyway"
I always read in FB status : Thanks God... It should be "Thank God"

Use in sentence : Thank God it's Friday.. it is not Thanks God it's Friday..
meron nga ko colleague. pag nagburp.. "thanks God". hehe.. ;) di ko naman macorrect. nahiya ako..  ;)

juicekodai

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #294 on: February 23, 2012, 02:47:57 am »
^thanks hehe.. ahh kapag may could/should lang pwede yung have sa singular? like.. "It should have been me"

Isa pa palang napapansin ko yung "Happy 8th year anniversary!"
dapat "Happy 8th anniversary!" lang kasi anniversary refers to year nadin.

tama ba? XD

I agree. redundant na kung may 'year' pa.  dapat 'happy 8th anniversary lang'

yung monthsary naman wala sa dictionary. gawa-gawa lang ng mga pinoy..

here, i found an article that can help us improve our grammar http://litreactor.com/columns/20-common-grammar-mistakes-that-almost-everyone-gets-wrong

chloebaby

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #295 on: February 23, 2012, 08:13:15 am »
I have a friend and she always says IRREGARDLESS sa mga staff nya.. Sales Manager kasi siya and pag sinasabi niya yun I always tell her "dear walang IR yun" but she always forgets..  :-\

Pero sabi sa site na to IRREGARDLESS is now a word.. lol ha!  :)
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/irregardless.aspx

ashley_afiah

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #296 on: February 23, 2012, 08:43:26 am »
pag yung sa shirt, yung word na "tuck in"- right
                                              tuck out- wrong

I know it is better if you say untuck your shirt
tama ba?

azel

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #297 on: February 23, 2012, 09:26:57 am »
correct ba talaga yung -->"I'm craving mangoes" instead of "I'm craving for mangoes" ??.. parang medyo nalito ko dun ah.

i believe it should be:  "I'm craving for mangoes"

hazeru

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #298 on: February 23, 2012, 09:30:25 am »
^It depends on the sentence:

"I'm craving mangoes."

"I have a craving for mangoes."

shyreen

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #299 on: February 23, 2012, 12:03:09 pm »
helpful naman ng thread na to :D thanks guys..

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close