watch now

Author Topic: Common Grammar Mistakes  (Read 122444 times)

craziestqueenever

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #220 on: December 01, 2011, 02:24:14 pm »
in
- is used to indicate that something/somebody is within or inside something (The dinner's in the oven.)
- can also indicate place (He spent a year in Japan.) or time (She should be leaving in a week or two.)

on
- indicates position above and in contact with the surface of something else (on the bed, clock on the wall)

at
- indicates general position or location. If you wish to be more specific with the position/location, better use on, over, under, etc. instead of at. (Someone's at the door, or I work at home).
- can be used to express when something happens (Lunch is at noon)

its
- possessive form (Its wheels are broken)

it's
- shortened "it is" (It's important that you call me)


--
I'll add lang mga sis my other pet peeve, there's no such word as tuition fee. Tuition is the fee for instruction at school/univ, so redundant 'yung tuition fee. :)

Thanks sis!

FOURever

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #221 on: December 04, 2011, 09:56:52 am »
yung jean pants? Jeans sya kapag walang pants na kasama o pwedeng jean lang?

chianti

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #222 on: December 04, 2011, 12:10:33 pm »
Use of prepositions on time and dates.

In is used to indicate a year or month or a period of time (in 1998, in February, in spring, in a few minutes, in the evening). On is used to indicate the exact date or days of the week (on December 4, 2011, on Christmas, on Sunday). At is used to indicate a specific time (at 1 PM, at noon, at six o'clock). 

chianti

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #223 on: December 04, 2011, 12:13:33 pm »
sis FOURever, I'm just not sure but jeans is usually used as a noun. Pag jean lang, ang usage nya is adjective.

kiminsan

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #224 on: December 05, 2011, 08:57:17 am »
yung jean pants? Jeans sya kapag walang pants na kasama o pwedeng jean lang?
Jeans is always plural, just like pants, trousers and slacks.

chris_mend

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #225 on: December 05, 2011, 09:57:33 am »


curious lang..how to say in englis..bababa ka na ng jeep or bus. =)

kiminsan

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #226 on: December 05, 2011, 11:39:51 am »

curious lang..how to say in englis..bababa ka na ng jeep or bus. =)

bababa ng bus or jeep
"I am getting off the bus/jeep."

sasakay ng bus or jeep
"I am getting in the bus/jeep."

Hope that helps.. :)

chris_mend

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #227 on: December 05, 2011, 12:32:19 pm »
bababa ng bus or jeep
"I am getting off the bus/jeep."

sasakay ng bus or jeep
"I am getting in the bus/jeep."

Hope that helps.. :)


thanks sis! =)


ladyarcher

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #228 on: December 18, 2011, 12:52:26 am »
should be "information" not  informations.
"stuff"rather than stuffs.
"unlike" rather than not unlike.

Vans

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #229 on: December 19, 2011, 06:55:45 pm »
tuition fee vs tuition

British English: Tuition means teaching or instruction
North American English: Tuition means fee for instruction

I think "tuition fee" is correct.

lytblu

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #230 on: December 25, 2011, 11:12:49 pm »
 ano ba ang dapat when referring to the body of a person. i like his build or built? he has nice build or built?

azel

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #231 on: December 31, 2011, 01:40:37 am »
^ i believe it should be "built"

Stella_r

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #232 on: January 19, 2012, 03:30:33 pm »
This is verbal/pronunciation and not grammar but can I share anyway? I always, always, always hear it eh. Pronouncing confirm as CONFEERM.

Lady Czarina

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #233 on: January 19, 2012, 03:44:37 pm »

Stella_r

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #234 on: January 19, 2012, 03:50:01 pm »
^Yikes! :-[ Thanks sis! :)

Lady Blue

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2012, 11:19:15 pm »
yung "entitled"
you use entitled if you are "entitled to something" etc. etc.
pero pag you are referring sa title, di na dapat entitled.

I must beg to differ.
According to dictionary.com and according to my English professors, and as far as I know, saying " Blah blah is the author of the book ENTITLED..." is correct. It is of British origin, but it is still correct.

greenwood05

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #236 on: February 01, 2012, 03:22:54 pm »
I'm not sure if dito ko dapat ipost 'to pero yung one thing na commonly said na naiirita ako is "Sobrang naboboring ako" or something to that effect. Pwede namang "I'm bored" na lang e.

craziestqueenever

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #237 on: February 01, 2012, 05:58:03 pm »
Mga sis... I'm just confused ano ba ang tama?

On Facebook or In Facebook?

On my list or In my list?

Pasensiya na   ;D  ;D

ReservoirDogs

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #238 on: February 02, 2012, 11:54:07 pm »
^^

On list ang most common usage.  Ang palatandaan ko yung song ng Hall & Oates (because your kiss, your kiss is on my list). Hehe.  Pero ginagamit din daw ang "in the list" pa minsan minsan. Check mo englishforums.com about the difference between in and on. :)

Ang alam ko, pag website name on ang gamit.  Ex.  She posted her pics on FB.  Not sure about this one, but that's what I read before.  I just forgot where.

ReservoirDogs

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #239 on: February 02, 2012, 11:58:19 pm »
ano ba ang dapat when referring to the body of a person. i like his build or built? he has nice build or built?

Build, not built. Build when used as a noun (as what you posted above), means "physique".  :)

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close