watch now

Author Topic: Common Grammar Mistakes  (Read 122327 times)

the fort

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2011, 08:08:34 am »
 :Dthank you for sharing

Vans

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2011, 09:35:49 am »
I'm currently reading June Casagrande's "Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies". Hindi rin ako kasi confident sa grammar ko.
Here are some examples from her book:

"10 items or less" should be "10 items or FEWER"
"I feel nauseous" should be "I feel NAUSEATED" - Nauseous means sickening to contemplate. Nauseated means sick at the stomach
Flammable = Inflammable

Lady Czarina

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2011, 09:57:35 am »
yeeayy... pa-join ako.. i need this kasi lagi kong kausap ang american boss ko.. although kahit naman sya di rin perfect ang grammar and wrong spelling pa..hahaha...

euqihn18

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2011, 06:38:01 pm »
super need ko ang thread na ito though ang hirap i-apply dahil mostly "korean" ang kausap ko at magno-nose bleed sila sayo kapag inayos mo ang grammar mo at gumamit ng tamang term sa eksaktong salita na gusto mong tukuyin  :-X

euwie

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2011, 11:01:22 pm »
Eto common grammatical error sa FB, forum, etc.: "I'm CRAVING FOR".  If you're using the word Craving as a verb, do not add "FOR".  Para kasing sinabi mo ring "I'm DESIRING FOR YOU", which is grammatically incorrect.  If you're familiar with the song "I CRAVE" ni Marc Dorsey, the song goes like, "I crave your touch, i crave your blah blah".  That's grammatically correct, lol. :D  However, if you're using CRAVING as a noun, it's grammatically correct to add FOR after it, such as I have a CRAVING FOR mangoes.


so sis, tama ba na sabihing, " I am craving mangoes."?

pink_blush01

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2011, 03:46:11 am »
so sis, tama ba na sabihing, " I am craving mangoes."?

It sounds different to me, parang you call yourself as a craving mango :p

acqua

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2011, 04:19:05 am »
I'm currently reading June Casagrande's "Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies". Hindi rin ako kasi confident sa grammar ko.
Here are some examples from her book:

"10 items or less" should be "10 items or FEWER"
"I feel nauseous" should be "I feel NAUSEATED" - Nauseous means sickening to contemplate. Nauseated means sick at the stomach
Flammable = Inflammable

Wait, na curious ako, why "inflammable" and not flammable when flammable is in the merriam? Please enlighten me. Tenchu!

Another common is "with regards to." It should be "with regard to."

Also, in behalf and on behalf.

“In behalf of” means “for the benefit of” or “in the interest of.”

“On behalf of” means “in place of” or “as the agent of.”
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 04:23:12 am by acqua »

FOURever

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2011, 05:00:47 am »
dito ako nalilito:

He/she never fail/fails? ano tama? I know na pag singular subject, singular din verb pero don't know why may doubt ako pag ginagamit ko. Hehe

acqua

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2011, 05:15:30 am »
dito ako nalilito:

He/she never fail/fails? ano tama? I know na pag singular subject, singular din verb pero don't know why may doubt ako pag ginagamit ko. Hehe

The answer is "fails."

Never is an adverb just like other adverbs such repeatedly, always, rarely. So, if other adverbs are used, it'll go like this: She always FAILS to lock the door.

FOURever

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2011, 05:20:38 am »
^thank you!

Vans

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2011, 08:04:42 am »
Wait, na curious ako, why "inflammable" and not flammable when flammable is in the merriam? Please enlighten me. Tenchu!

Hi Acqua,

Inflammable is derived from Latin word inflammābilis.  inflammā means to inflame
Akala ko dati (common misconception of others as well)  yun Inflammable means nonflammable kasi yun syllable "in" napagkalaman ko na prefix na "in" which usually means "not".

Sorry medyo confusing ata yun pagkakasulat ko sa Inflammable and Flammable. I should have just said that they have the same meaning. They both mean combustible.


acqua

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2011, 05:02:37 pm »
^ Vans, thank you! I got it na :)

younis

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2011, 05:05:24 pm »
subscribe nga ako dito para macorrect ko rin mga nasasabi ko minsan. hmmm... keep them coming peeps :-)

herroyalbleakness

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2011, 06:25:46 pm »
so sis, tama ba na sabihing, " I am craving mangoes."?
Yes, tama :D

herroyalbleakness

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #114 on: July 04, 2011, 06:51:38 pm »
naku, guilty-ng guilty ako sa: could/would in place of can/will; I'm eyeing+preposition; master's bedroom! Also, Im contemplating if I've ever used the word stuffS in my blog, wag naman sana, nakakahiya, I'm cringing at the thought of it (although I know it's no biggie). Buti napadaan ako dito at di lang nilimitahan sa kakikayan ang sarili.

Salamat babyjap sa thread na 'to! byuti en brens ka sistah!

I also noticed, although hindi siya grammar mistake, word-usage mistake, that worst and worse are improperly used.

Worse: comparative (two subjects being compared)
Worst: superlative (multiple subjects in comparison)

In kikay terms:

Fashion21's liquid liner smears worse than Ever Bilena's. But among all eyeliners I've tried, Nichido's is the worst!

(this is a fictitious statement, baka magalit sakin ang fans ng mga brands na to. ginamit ko lang yung brand names para mas kikay yung sentence, hehe)


clermont

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2011, 07:25:39 pm »
Very informative thread. Isa rin ako sa mga 'salarin'. Keep it coming mga sis!

younis

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2011, 08:37:25 pm »
Worse: comparative (two subjects being compared)
Worst: superlative (multiple subjects in comparison)

dito lang galing yan

bad, worse, worst

antonyms: good, better, best

=)

herroyalbleakness

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2011, 08:45:44 pm »
yes, yes, younis! that's a good way of letting people keep the difference in mind. thanks for sharing

karenkeng

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2011, 08:46:53 pm »
I know someone kapag nalalasing nalilito sa "Did + present tense"

So madalas nyang sabihin " What did you did?"

pero alam naman nya yung tama kaya lang kapag siya na yung may tama sa kalasingan... nagla-labo-labo na lahat

Lady Czarina

  • Guest
Re: Common Grammar Mistakes
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2011, 09:50:24 am »
meron naman " its look like...." dapat "it looks like...."

ako naman, my main problem is punctuations, di ko alam kung when maglalagay ng ' or ,

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close